General Discussion Race Reports! » Infinitive Triathlon at Broadlands Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Infinitive Triathlon at Broadlands - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Ashburn, Virginia
United States
Infinitive
65F / 18C
Precipitation
Total Time = 59m 19s
Overall Rank = 1/147
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/13
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 4, had 2 cliff bars and a gatorade and drove to the race site. It was raining and thundering on the way to the race and would rain the entire race. I hoped that the swim would not be cancelled.

I had no idea what to expect as I was pretty sore still from LP two weeks earlier.
Event warmup:

Chatted with NL, saw Shelly123 and Slake who were volunteering. Swam a few hundred yards and biked a mile or so just to make sure the bike was still working.
Swim
  • 04m 45s
  • 400 yards
  • 01m 11s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went well - I was seeded first and made sure to take the first 100 out hard to make sure no one dragged off of me. From there I kept the pace/effort pretty steady. I could see the other swimmers behind me and knew I was putting a fair amount of time into the rest of the field. At the end of the swim I used the stairs to get out - not sure why I did that. It is faster to just use the side and get out of the pool rather than walk each of the stairs. Probably cost me 2-3 seconds. Swim time included a 50 or so foot run to cross the timing mat.
What would you do differently?:

Not use the stairs.
Transition 1
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

I was the only one in the whole race to wear a wetsuit and I still had the second fastest overall T1 time. It went as well as any transition I have ever done. Wetsuit came off very quickly.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 33m 1s
  • 12.6 miles
  • 22.90 mile/hr
Comments:

Came out of T1 and immediately was pushing hard. My HR was higher than I had ever seen on the bike (low 180's) for almost the entire ride as I dont think I am/was recovered from LP.

The lead van took off and I followed it. At the first big left turn the van stopped for some reason. I tapped on the window as I went by and sure enough they started leading me again.

At the first out and back (around mile 5) I was able to get a good look at who was chasing me. As far as I could tell there were only 3 people I really had to worry about. A guy on a QR with HED3's who was the first one after me into transition and had gained a little bit on me, A guy with a P2C with race wheels and an IM tat and another guy with a soloist who was moving well. After that there was a big gap to the next pack.

Approximately 9 miles in the guy on the QR went by me fast....really fast. I later found out he is a current CAT2 biker who has been doing triathlons for 10 years. My legs were hurting by this point and I could tell I was not generating the same power as I was on the first lap. My goal at that point was just to keep the leader in sight and not let him put too much more time on me. The other 2 guys I was worried about (one is a CAT3 biker and the other has done a bunch of IM's) were not gaining on me and I had put too much time on them in the swim for them to be a real threat at that point.

Came into tranistion and got off the bike...at some point I am going to have to learn to do a flying dismount.

Not have LP 2 weeks before the race - I should be at least another 1 - 2 mph faster on a course like this.
Transition 2
  • 01m 10s
Comments:

T2 went fine. I had the 7th faster overall time and the fastest was only 7 seconds quicker than I was.

Nothing.
Run
  • 19m 33s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

I had purposely biked the run course the day before as I knew this was a first time event and these have a tendency to have some issues. Unfortunately the run course was not the same as was listed on the website or the same as the course map they gave us.

As I was coming off the bike into T2, I saw the leader exiting which by my estimation meant he had 1:40 or so on me. I thought that might be too much as he looked solid but not great.

Out of transition I started running hard as I knew there was an out and back about a 1/2 mile away and I figured that would let me know if I had a chance of running him down. At the turn around I had gained considerable ground on him and knew I had a shot at running him down. We slapped hands at the turnaround and each nodded to each other as we knew it was going to be a close race. I did not see the 3rd place guy for a while which confirmed that this race was going to won by one of us. Over the next mile I slowly gained on him but was paying the price as my left hip was starting to become a real distraction.

I went by him hard and fast at the 1.75 or so mile marker but knew that he had started 40 seconds behind me in the swim and I needed more of a lead. On the way back (around mile 2.25ish) I came to an intersection without a volunteer (this was part of the run course they had changed). A few hundred feet away I saw two volunteers talking and started yelling, asking which way I should go. They kept telling me to go into the tunnel, which I kept telling them I had just run through. At this point I had stopped as I had no idea what way to go. Finally another volunteer came running from her post and told me the correct way to go. My lead of 20 or so seconds had vanished as the 2nd place runner was close to me, though he was asking which way to go as well. I started off down the path the volunteer told me and just ran hard the last mile or so. I later learned the 2nd place runner was sent down a different path then I was that likely cost him some time (20-30 seconds by his estimate). I think it about evened out as I lost my 20 second lead waiting to hear what direction I was supposed to go.

Not much - competing with someone for 1st place OA helped really push me.
Post race
Warm down:

Told the RD about the volunteer and she got someone back at the point of confusion.

Walked around and talked with some of the other competitors and had some really good food - lots of fruit, pop tarts, granola bars, subway, muffins, gatorade, water, etc...they really had nice spread.

Picked up my prize which ended up being a month free of coaching and a 1 hour fitness evaluation test (hopefully it is a VO2 max test or something like it). I think everyone really wanted the third place prize which was 1 free pair of shoes from PRR - they carry some great running brands - newtons, zoot, asics, nike, brooks, etc.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Doing LP 2 weeks earlier and not being able to train much in between.

Event comments:

This is a new tri company that ran this race and overall they did a good job though they could have done a few things better like not changing the run course the night before the event, different prizes and keeping the volunteers at their assigned spots.

Last updated: 2008-08-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:45 | 400 yards | 01m 11s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 1/147
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Wetsuit - Xterra
Course: 8x50 yard pool swim
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 73F / 23C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:52
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:33:01 | 12.6 miles | 22.90 mile/hr
Overall: 2/147
Performance: Average
HR was in the low 180's the entire time. I think the course mileage was off. Off the three that were tracking it, one had 12.6, one had 12.8 and one had 12.9.
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loops course including an out and back.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:10
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:19:33 | 03.11 miles | 06m 17s  min/mile
Overall: 1/147
Three people had three different mileages for this run course. 3.06, 3.10 and 3.11.
Course: Winding course with 3 out and backs.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2008-08-11 8:19 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: Infinitive Triathlon at Broadlands

2008-08-11 9:02 AM
in reply to: #1593737

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: Infinitive Triathlon at Broadlands
Awesome race 2 weeks out from Ironman!!!  Congratulations on the win!!
2008-08-11 11:13 AM
in reply to: #1593864

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Makes up for the not-so-positive end of your IM experience I must say!!

Total kick azz race my friend.  Glad to see you are recovering well and huge props for the overall win!!!  Killer swim as usual and an outstanding ride and run as well.

Z
2008-08-11 11:08 PM
in reply to: #1593737

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member
Sweet victory!
2008-08-12 7:07 AM
in reply to: #1596201

User image