World Triathlon Corporation
94F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 16h 00m 53s
Overall Rank = 1618/1975
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 225/260
Pre-race routine:

My wife and I began our trip down to Louisville on Thursday. We drove from Chicago to Indianapolis and stayed at her parents house. On Friday we drove from Indy to Louisville. We arrived at the Galt house around noon, got checked in, grabbed some lunch and went to the athlete check in, Expo and race briefing. After the briefing we met the BT group for the Athlete dinner. It was great finally getting to meet everybody.

On Saturday I got up and went to the Gatorade practice swim. Took a quick 15 minute swim and 15 Minute bike. After that my wife and I drove the bike course and had lunch in LaGrange. We headed back to the hotel, dropped off my bike and bags, rested for a while and then met the in-laws and my parents for dinner. I hit the sack around 10:00.

Got up on Sunday at 4:15 and began getting ready. I ate a bagel and cream cheese, a banana, and a bottle of Infinit. I headed down to transition around 5:00. Got the bike tires pumped up and topped off the nutrition. I arrived at the swim start around 5:45 and waited in line to go. I took a GU about 60 minutes before I started and took another one about 20 mintues before I started. At 7:21am I was in the water.
Event warmup:

Walked to Swim Start
Swim
  • 1h 26m 51s
  • 3862 meters
  • 02m 15s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim was fairly uneventfull. I was able to draft some at the beginning when we were by the island. I didn't really get bumped into that much. After rounding the island and heading back downstream I made the mistake of moving more into the middle of the river, thinking I could catch the current. I lost any chance of drafting at that point, plus added significant distance to my swim. After going under the first bridge I began angling myself back towards the pack and was able to catch some draft at the 2nd bridge. Came out of the water and felt a little light headed and weak legs for a couple of seconds but then everything kicked in and I headed towards transition
What would you do differently?:

Not angle out to the middle of the river and lose my draft and add distance.
Transition 1
  • 07m 8s
Comments:

Transition went fine. A volunteer grabbed my bag. I found a seat and put on my shoes, helmet, etc... Headed out the door, got sprayed down with sunscreen, grabbed my bike and headed out. I also fired down a GU and some water while I was changing

Not much. I was happy with this one.
Bike
  • 6h 44m 25s
  • 112 miles
  • 16.62 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where the issues began to happen. When we headed out I took it nice and easy for the first 12- 15 miles as they were flat and I didn't want to blow myself up later. I was doing a good job of drinking my Infinit, water and endurolytes. I was feeling strong. We hit the out and back and everything was still going well. I was able to spin up the hills, hit my nutrition. I felt good. I did see one poor woman down in a ditch at the end of the downhill with an Ambulance.

After I got off the out and back and headed towards LaGrange I was still feeling good, but was noticing that it was getting hotter out. I was still able to take in my nutrition and was feeling pretty good. Once I turned onto KY-146 I noticed the winds had picked up and I had a nice headwind now. My heartrate began to creep up and I went through the headwind. I saw my wife and family in LaGrange and that gave me a boost. The rest of the loop was fairly uneventfull.

When I came through LaGrange the second time I noticed the wind was even stronger and my heartrate kept creeping up. It was also significantly hotter. After I passed my family around mile 70, I began to have the first signs of trouble. My stomach was getting very unsettled. Around mile 80, it wanted no more of my Infinit or GU's. I could only take in water and some endurolytes. Once I made it back onto state route 42 the heat had really kicked up and I felt really sick. I continued to drink water and supplement with endurolytes, but couldn't take in any calories. I tried to force some down but it would bring me to the point of wanting to vomit. At the second to last aid station I picked up a bottle of Gatorade and tried to sip on that. I could tolerate that some as it was ice cold and felt good going down. I was still hurting due to lack of calories. Once I got back to transition and tried to get off the bike, my right hamstring cramped. I hobbled back to transition and stretched it out.

I need to figure out why my system shut down. I also just need to continue to ride more and build up my base.
Transition 2
  • 10m 32s
Comments:

Right hamstring cramped after I got off the bike. I took my time to try and gather myself for the run. The heat and lack of calories were getting to me.

Not have issues on the bike that caused me to sit for a while in transition
Run
  • 7h 31m 57s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 17m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Where to begin. The run was a complete disaster for me. I walked probably 95% of it. As soon as I left the transition tent, I knew there was no way I could run. I walked at about a 15 minute mile pace until mile 10. I was trying to take in water, gatorade and food at every aid station, but was having a tough time getting anything down other than water. At mile 10 I was able to use the bathroom and get some food in me. I was actually able to begin doing a slow run\walk. I was able to do this through mile 14ish. Then the wheels completely feel off. From mile 14 - mile 20 I walked again at a slow pace. I was having trouble taking anything in and was getting dizzy and for some reason my face felt like it was on fire. When I got to mile 20 I told the volunteers I needed help. They got me over to the grass and sat me down. A specatator who happened to be a doctor came over and checked on me. The volunteers put a bag full of ice on my neck and brough me water and a powerbar. Surprisingly I was able to eat the powerbar. After sitting there for almost 30 mintues waiting for the EMT's, I felt much better and decided to get up and walk the last 6 miles. I was able to walk the last 6 miles but had to sit down a couple of times to rest. I started to grab powerbars at each aid station and eat those as I walked. They seemed to help. At mile 25 my wife found me and walked the rest of the way in with me. I couldn't have done this without her. Once I rounded the corner to 4th street I saw the finish and the adreneline kicked in and I was able to run it in. This was not the ideal way I wanted to do my first IM marathon, but I'm happy I didn't quit and was able to finish.

Not push the bike as hard and figure out why I could keep any nutrition going on the bike
Post race
Warm down:

Went to the convention center and sat down. My wife got me some food and drinks and I tried to eat a little, but my stomach was upset. We stayed there for about 25 minutes and then headed to the Galt House

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat and humidity got me and not being able to consume calories had a massive affect on me.

Event comments:

This was an excellent run race. The only issue I had was the heat and humidity. Then again it was Louisville in August.

Last updated: 2008-01-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:26:51 | 3862 meters | 02m 15s / 100meters
Age Group: 183/260
Overall: 260/1975
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Swim up river from start point and round at Towhead Island to head back down stream. Current was fairly easy.
Start type: Dive Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 07:08
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
06:44:25 | 112 miles | 16.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 170/260
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Was a two loop course with one small hilly out and back. Had a few decent size hills on the out and back and the rest was rolling
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 10:32
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
07:31:57 | 26.2 miles | 17m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 225/260
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 Loop course with one out and back on a bridge over the Ohio River
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-03 2:38 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2008-09-03 2:40 PM
in reply to: #1646784

User image

Pro
Nutmeg State
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville
Nice job -- I'm sure I had to have seen you on the run (but I think we were all a little delustional at that time).
2008-09-03 3:32 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan
Good job on making it to the finish Matt.
2008-09-03 11:38 PM

User image

Austell, GA

One word - DETERMINATION. 

Congrats - Ironman

2008-09-04 11:54 AM

User image

Master
Chicago

Matt-

Your race report really was heartfelt, I got a little misty eyed.  I know we've never met, but being that I sent you to my doc for PT, and we're neighbors, I feel like that makes us buddies!

I was thinking about you all day since the whole chip thing got screwed up, and I couldn't track you, I was just hoping you were ok!

I am sorry that your first IM went so badly, but I am very proud of you! I have no idea how hard it was out there for you guys, I can only imagine.

I know it's dissapointing, but know that your neighbor is VERY proud of you!!!

You'll get 'em next time!

2008-09-04 1:39 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

I think you've got two lessons learned here:

1. You're tough as hell.

2. You're an IRONMAN.

Congrats!

~B

2008-09-04 1:51 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Ironman!

Tough conditions make finishing that much sweeter as you had to be tougher than normal.

Way to gut it out and finish...your wife found you at the right time.

It is so hard to train to duplicate weather conditions as they can vary so much. I hope you can figure out what shut down your GI system.

Enjoy this post IM time...

2008-09-04 3:18 PM

Veteran
And thanks for being so brutally honest about your experience. Congratulations on your determination. I know for me, if it's very hot, that's what causes my ironclad stomach to shut down. You can't control the heat and humidity and did the best you could....even better.
Rhonda
2008-09-05 10:58 AM

User image

Master
Chicago
Thanks everybody for the kind words.  It was a tough one out there.  I have 10 months or so to figure out what went wrong and correct it for the next one. 
2008-09-05 11:37 AM

User image

Veteran
Charleston, SC
congratulations.   great determination and will power. 
2008-09-05 11:36 PM

User image

Master
Sachse
Congrats IRONMAN!!! Way to tough it out....

Kenny

2008-09-06 2:09 PM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

Way to stick with it and thanks for the RR

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed