Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Kids in restaurants Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2008-09-04 10:51 AM
in reply to: #1648274

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Kids in restaurants
Trap them and shoot them with a tranquilizer gun, then release them in another restaurant.

2008-09-04 11:05 AM
in reply to: #1649124

User image

Pro
Tejas
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2008-09-04 10:48 AM

The main problem with kids in restaurants is that they tend to overcook them, and the sauces are usually a bit runny.

*snerk* - You are talking about little goats......right?

2008-09-04 11:41 AM
in reply to: #1648505

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
ride_like_u_stole_it - 2008-09-04 5:42 AM
SauseEnte - 2008-09-04 12:11 AM

Someone here on BT has a great signature line: "Unsupervised kids will be given a free puppy and a double-espresso" (or something like it)

You rang?

Hehe. Cool. On my run this morning your sig line went through my head and I wondered how well I remembered it. I love it! 

2008-09-04 11:43 AM

User image

Pro
Pittsburgh, my heart is in Glasgow
Just slip a benedryl into the applejuice, and watch the Z's fly.

Kidding of course. I don't remember ever being disciplined in a restaurant when I was little...mainly because we were pretty poor and when my parents went out, it was definitely an "adults only" occasion, and we got to go to Grandma's house (heck yeah!). But when we DID go, there was always a family pow-wow before (often one days before, then one as we were heading out the door) where mom would say, "we're going to a nice restaurant. we expect you to put your napkins on your lap, take small bites, keep your elbows off the table, speak quietly, and say "please" and "thank you" to the waiter. Any breach of these rules will result in swift removal, and you'll be grounded on saturday. Clear?"

I think my brother got removed once, but was actually quite sick (As in that mysterious explosive puking disease that kids get), so he got a pass. But we did go home without dinner and my mother was mortified. We both felt like poo afterwards though.

And growing up with that, and without being allowed to take Gameboys/DS to the table, it can be hard to deal with the screaming and squealing during dinner. Sometimes I just look at the parents and see that look of helplessness in their eyes and just feel bad for them. Other times, when its willfully ignoring a kid who obviously is acting out to get something they need (screaming POTTY POTTY POTTY! is a pretty clear message, no?)...no sympathy.
2008-09-04 11:50 AM
in reply to: #1648929

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Rynamite - 2008-09-04 10:56 AM I sit in/at the bar. Problem solved.

x2.

2008-09-04 11:59 AM
in reply to: #1648936

User image

Expert
Burnaby, BC
wurkit_gurl - 2008-09-04 7:58 AM

daijoubu - 2008-09-04 10:41 AM Join in!  Kids are fun.  Stop being an adult for 5 or 10 minutes and remember how fun it was to be free.  Maybe their parents should teach them proper behaviour in a restaurant, but you can't really change that.  You can change yourself.  

There's a difference between "fun" and "disruptive". I could care less what you do at home with your kids. But as someone who has worked with kids extensively, I see it this way - if it wouldn't be tolerable behavior in a classroom, it's not tolerable behavior in public - ie, shrieking at the top of the lungs for no reason, standing on/jumping off chairs, climbing on furniture and running around, throwing things, not listening when adults discipline. Unacceptable.

Oh I agree with you wholeheartedly.  My son is very well behaved in public.  It's taken patience but it's very doable.  I'm also willing to give up my meal and take him to sit in the car until he calms down or my wife finishes her meal if he pushes it.  

But remember that you know next to nothing about that other family that is annoying you.  Maybe their mother just died and the father doesn't know how to deal with it.  Maybe he's been laid off.  Maybe he's an inconsiderate jerk.  You don't know.  The best way to deal with it is to make it a positive thing.  If you engage the kid(s) you can direct their play to something quiet and more acceptable such as making faces or stacking creamers in pyramids.  Nagging or complaining to the manager makes _your_ life better but is it the best way to handle it?

2008-09-04 12:03 PM
in reply to: #1649390

daijoubu - 2008-09-04 12:59 PM

daijoubu - 2008-09-04 10:41 AM Join in!  Kids are fun.  Stop being an adult for 5 or 10 minutes and remember how fun it was to be free.  Maybe their parents should teach them proper behaviour in a restaurant, but you can't really change that.  You can change yourself.  

There's a difference between "fun" and "disruptive". I could care less what you do at home with your kids. But as someone who has worked with kids extensively, I see it this way - if it wouldn't be tolerable behavior in a classroom, it's not tolerable behavior in public - ie, shrieking at the top of the lungs for no reason, standing on/jumping off chairs, climbing on furniture and running around, throwing things, not listening when adults discipline. Unacceptable.

Oh I agree with you wholeheartedly.  My son is very well behaved in public.  It's taken patience but it's very doable.  I'm also willing to give up my meal and take him to sit in the car until he calms down or my wife finishes her meal if he pushes it.  

But remember that you know next to nothing about that other family that is annoying you.  Maybe their mother just died and the father doesn't know how to deal with it.  Maybe he's been laid off.  Maybe he's an inconsiderate jerk.  You don't know.  The best way to deal with it is to make it a positive thing.  If you engage the kid(s) you can direct their play to something quiet and more acceptable such as making faces or stacking creamers in pyramids.  Nagging or complaining to the manager makes _your_ life better but is it the best way to handle it?

Well, maybe I'VE been laid off or MY mother has died, so maybe the other folks should be considerate. That argument makes no sense. I'm all for entertaining bratty kids to distract them, but most parents don't want strangers butting into their business and "telling them how to raise their kids". Sorry dude, sure, tragedy MAY have stricken the family, but in most cases, it's just irresponsible parenting.

2008-09-04 12:19 PM

User image

Melon Presser

Kind of a smartazz suggestion, but probably very effective ...

Get a guy (hopefully there's a convenient one around) to leave the restaurant, then saunter in, but in a very obvious way ... then, loudly, "OH HI KIDDIES! YOU ARE SO SWEET! SO SWEET, WOULD YOU LIKE SOME CANDY? YES? I HAVE SOME OUTSIDE, WANT TO COME WITH ME AND GET IT?"

If a parent doth protest, simply point out sympathetically you could tell they wanted to just eat their meal in piece and their kids are so fun and lively, you just wanted to help out.

2008-09-04 12:27 PM
in reply to: #1648540

User image

Mountain View, CA
Wolfhound668 - 2008-09-04 6:01 AM

My kid is one of the good ones at a restaurant.  The one time he started working towards a meltdown I took him outside before any of the tables near us even noticed what was going on.  A few minutes later he was calmed down and we went back in.  No muss, no fuss.  I can't tell you how many times we've been approached by staff and other people in restaurants to compliment us on our little guy.

My parents did this with us when we were kids. If we couldn't behave inside the restaurant, we were taken outside until we calmed down. Win-win: the people around us weren't bothered by a fussy child, and the child learned that going out to eat is a privilege that requires good behavior.

Back to the original question, though, I'd say ignore it if you can, or maybe move to a different table. If it's really problematic, speak with the manager.
2008-09-04 12:31 PM
in reply to: #1648557

User image

Master
Northern California

wurkit_gurl - 2008-09-04 6:06 AM  EXACTLY. This is why the whole bs "you don't have kids so you don't understand" line doesn't really fly with me. No, I don't have kids, but I DO know families who have kids who do not let their kids act out in public places! (I've been out with them in public places to witness such mysteries) So yes, ladies and gentlemen, it can be done! I used to nanny and would take kids out to restaurants and other public places and, so odd, they never acted up with me...and if they did, I removed them from the situation until they were calm. It's one thing if they're cranky and need a nap and they're crying, but it's quite another if they're just running around and yelling and no one is doing anything to stop them.

*gazes admiringly upward *

I don't have children either. However, I was a child. My siblings and I were simply not allowed to act up in public places to the extent the OP mentioned. The fear of punishment, spanking and all-around fear of our father put any of that rubbish out of the question.

Edited by coachese 2008-09-04 12:34 PM
2008-09-04 12:33 PM
in reply to: #1649327

User image

Mountain View, CA
phoenixazul - 2008-09-04 9:43 AM

Just slip a benedryl into the applejuice, and watch the Z's fly.

Kidding of course. I don't remember ever being disciplined in a restaurant when I was little...mainly because we were pretty poor and when my parents went out, it was definitely an "adults only" occasion, and we got to go to Grandma's house (heck yeah!). But when we DID go, there was always a family pow-wow before (often one days before, then one as we were heading out the door) where mom would say, "we're going to a nice restaurant. we expect you to put your napkins on your lap, take small bites, keep your elbows off the table, speak quietly, and say "please" and "thank you" to the waiter. Any breach of these rules will result in swift removal, and you'll be grounded on saturday. Clear?"

I laughed when I read this. We totally got the same speech from my mom every time. She kept reminding us to "be on our best behavior" when we were well into in our teens, even though it had been years since anyone had pitched a fit.

2008-09-04 12:43 PM
in reply to: #1649514

coachese - 2008-09-04 1:31 PM

wurkit_gurl - 2008-09-04 6:06 AM  EXACTLY. This is why the whole bs "you don't have kids so you don't understand" line doesn't really fly with me. No, I don't have kids, but I DO know families who have kids who do not let their kids act out in public places! (I've been out with them in public places to witness such mysteries) So yes, ladies and gentlemen, it can be done! I used to nanny and would take kids out to restaurants and other public places and, so odd, they never acted up with me...and if they did, I removed them from the situation until they were calm. It's one thing if they're cranky and need a nap and they're crying, but it's quite another if they're just running around and yelling and no one is doing anything to stop them.

*gazes admiringly upward *

I don't have children either. However, I was a child. My siblings and I were simply not allowed to act up in public places to the extent the OP mentioned. The fear of punishment, spanking and all-around fear of our father put any of that rubbish out of the question.

Agreed - we were not either. And my mother would be the first to tell you if we were bad in public - but we were not. And she is always disgusted by people who blatantly let their kids act inappropriately.

2008-09-04 2:40 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-09-04 3:05 PM

Master
Suwanee, Ga.

phoenixazul - 2008-09-04 12:43 PM But when we DID go, there was always a family pow-wow before (often one days before, then one as we were heading out the door) where mom  Dad would say,

"we're going to a nice restaurant. we expect you to put your napkins on your lap, take small bites, keep your elbows off the table, speak quietly, and say "please" and "thank you" to the waiter.  You BETTER behave.  Got that?

Any breach of these rules will result in swift removal, and you'll be grounded on saturday. Clear?"If you don't I'll kick your a$$.  Got that? 

This is pretty much how it was at my house...and since I was an only child, if anything happened it was ALWAYS my fault.

2008-09-04 3:15 PM

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

phoenixazul - 2008-09-04 12:43 PM Just slip a benedryl into the applejuice, and watch the Z's fly.  

Hey did anyone else think that Palin's son trig looked particularly...calm during his mom's speech?  mrs. gearboy and I were convinced that he been given a touch of benadryl, especially when they showed his sister holding him and playing with his eyelids, with nary a twitch! NTTAWWT...

2008-09-04 3:18 PM
in reply to: #1650278

Champion
Philly 'burbs
gearboy - 2008-09-04 4:15 PM

phoenixazul - 2008-09-04 12:43 PM Just slip a benedryl into the applejuice, and watch the Z's fly.  

Hey did anyone else think that Palin's son trig looked particularly...calm during his mom's speech?  mrs. gearboy and I were convinced that he been given a touch of benadryl, especially when they showed his sister holding him and playing with his eyelids, with nary a twitch! NTTAWWT...

I did notice that, and wondered.

2008-09-04 3:29 PM
in reply to: #1650127

Master
Northern California
AcesFull - 2008-09-04 12:40 PM

Restaurant-dependent.  Any place that has a wait-staff serving you, get the manager's attention.  Fast food places, you gotta expect some of that.

As an aside, the wife was in a fast foody place with my kids, the 8 year-old having Aspergers.  As she was trying to head out the door, my little boy had a meltdown (transitions are really hard for autistic-spectrum kids).  As she tried to get him back under control, helpful older woman suggested my wife needed to do a better job of disciplining our child. 

I was not privy to my wife's exact words to this woman, but I do not think she will interject with such advice in the future. 

Don't be so sure. She's probably posting on a Knitting Board about how she told your wife off.

2008-09-04 3:29 PM
in reply to: #1649410

Expert
Burnaby, BC
wurkit_gurl - 2008-09-04 10:03 AM
daijoubu - 2008-09-04 12:59 PM

Well, maybe I'VE been laid off or MY mother has died, so maybe the other folks should be considerate. That argument makes no sense. I'm all for entertaining bratty kids to distract them, but most parents don't want strangers butting into their business and "telling them how to raise their kids". Sorry dude, sure, tragedy MAY have stricken the family, but in most cases, it's just irresponsible parenting.

Maybe it is irresponsible parenting, maybe in the case of AcesFull above, it's a form of Autism.  You just don't know.  You only know what _your_ situation is.  You have full control over your actions.  Choose an action that will improve the situation for everyone.  

My son interacts with other adults all the time.  As long as they seem willing to go with it and not bothered by it I'll let him have a conversation with them or play cars or make faces.  It teaches him how to interact with other people and be sociable in public.  I will not allow other people to discipline my child out of the blue because I don't know what their beliefs are and how they fit in with our families beliefs.  

Just consider what actions you could take that result in a positive outcome for everybody involved.

2008-09-05 10:09 AM

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
99% of the time, my son’s great in public places. He’s a very talkative kid, so he’ll chatter away about this and that throughout the meal, and sometimes we have to remind him about using his“inside voice” but he rarely acts up. When he does, I try to settle him down at the table, and if that doesn’t work, I take him (or drag him or carry him) out of the dining room until he settles down.

It’s never happened, fortunately, but anyone who tries to tell me how I ought to discipline my kid is going to get a big tall glass of MYOFB. He’s a 4-year old, and occasionally, they have been known to exercize free will. If there was a button I could push to make him cut it out, I’d do it, but there isn’t, and it’s not any more pleasurable for me than it is for you, trust me.
2008-09-05 10:16 AM
in reply to: #1650344

daijoubu - 2008-09-04 4:29 PM

Maybe it is irresponsible parenting, maybe in the case of AcesFull above, it's a form of Autism.  You just don't know.  You only know what _your_ situation is.  You have full control over your actions.  Choose an action that will improve the situation for everyone.  

My son interacts with other adults all the time.  As long as they seem willing to go with it and not bothered by it I'll let him have a conversation with them or play cars or make faces.  It teaches him how to interact with other people and be sociable in public.  I will not allow other people to discipline my child out of the blue because I don't know what their beliefs are and how they fit in with our families beliefs.  

Just consider what actions you could take that result in a positive outcome for everybody involved.

How about this instance, then, that happened while my sister, mother and I were on vacation last year:

Family of 4 with a little girl and a little boy. We were at a nicer seafood restaurant on the beach - nicer than a TGI Fridays, etc. There was an outdoor patio and a bar, but a nicer establishment. One of the children screamed and shrieked the ENTIRE time we were at the restaurant. ENTIRE time. Not crying, necessarily, but screaming, throwing things, etc. The parents did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to stop him. Everyone around then kept turning around, yet the parents did NOTHING and really didn't see to care that their child was making a scene. I have seen this sort of thing happen more times than I care to admit.

PLEASE do not tell me that this is in any way acceptable.

2008-09-05 10:16 AM
in reply to: #1650344

Gah - double post.

Edited by wurkit_gurl 2008-09-05 10:17 AM

2008-09-05 10:19 AM
in reply to: #1652576

Pro
MA
wurkit_gurl - 2008-09-05 11:16 AM

How about this instance, then, that happened while my sister, mother and I were on vacation last year:

Family of 4 with a little girl and a little boy. We were at a nicer seafood restaurant on the beach - nicer than a TGI Fridays, etc. There was an outdoor patio and a bar, but a nicer establishment. One of the children screamed and shrieked the ENTIRE time we were at the restaurant. ENTIRE time. Not crying, necessarily, but screaming, throwing things, etc. The parents did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to stop him. Everyone around then kept turning around, yet the parents did NOTHING and really didn't see to care that their child was making a scene. I have seen this sort of thing happen more times than I care to admit.

I don't think it is acceptable even at TGIF or other kids-friendly places. 

2008-09-05 10:22 AM

Master
wurkit_gurl - 2008-09-05 10:16 AM

There is nothing acceptable about this in any setting.
2008-09-05 10:36 AM
in reply to: #1649124

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-09-05 10:46 AM

Expert
Burnaby, BC
wurkit_gurl - 2008-09-05 8:16 AM

Do you know why the kid was screaming?  Do you know why the parents were ignoring it?  Unfortunately if the kid is doing it for attention, the best way to deal with it is to not pay attention once it gets past a certain point.  Paying attention to a child screaming for attention validates the behaviour.  Even negative attention.

Based on North American norms for behaviour, for a developmentally normal (for lack of a better word) child, this is not acceptable behaviour for a child.  If I sat close to their table, I'd try to get their attention and then guide them to a conversation about whatever toy/sport/cartoon brand they seem to like.  If that didn't work, I'd ask to be moved outside/inside to get away from them.  I'd also thank my wife for producing such a well behaved angel in our son, because it can't be my influence that made him so good.

If it was my son misbehaving, he'd have long ago received his reminders of the consequence of his behaviour and then been moved to the car to wait out the remainder of the meal.  Assuming I didn't cause the whole thing by delaying a meal or skipping his nap.

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Kids in restaurants Rss Feed  

of 4