Reston Triathlon
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 57m 3s
Overall Rank = 9/498
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 2/24
Pre-race routine:

The norm - 2 cliff bars and a gatorade. I was really disappointed there would not be a swim as swimming is my speciality but I had been feeling really good on the bike so I was excited to see how much my bike had improved.
Event warmup:

Took the bike out for 2 miles to make sure the new cleats were working and gear my bike correctly. Ran a mile to warm up.
Run
  • 14m 55s
  • 2.5 miles
  • 05m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

This was in place of the swim. Started in the first wave of people. Felt good going out but was alarmed when I saw sub 6 on my Garmin at mile 1 and then sub 6 again for mile 2. I felt fine and was running with people I knew I could run with but thought we might be going out to hard. I was right - this was two hard.

Since this was my first duathlon, I figured I would just go with the flow.
What would you do differently?:

Back off the pace 15-20 seconds per mile.
Transition 1
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

T1 estimate - setup events forgot to turn the T1 mats on. I came out on the bike with the people I came in on the run with so I figured that I had an ok transition.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 58m 7s
  • 23.6 miles
  • 24.36 mile/hr
Comments:

I love this course - winding, rolling and fast.

Came out of tranisition and immediately dropped my chain. Only took 5-10 seconds to get it back on but still a guy in my AG ahead of me did a flying mount and the guy behind me did a flying mount and all of sudden I was 50-100 feet behind both of them.

Took a mile or two but I caught back up to them and the three of us plus Scott Baldwin (KQ at LP) started an all out race - for the next 20 or so miles it was a constant surge to take the lead and then watch one of them pass me back. We were careful not to draft and had a race official with us for a chunk of the ride.

Some random guy jumped on my wheel and when I told him he was drafting he said who cares and that the 4 of us were close to drafting. I told him that we were keeping at least 3 bike lengths between us and he said he did not care about the rules. Just then a marshall pulled up and gave him a penalty for drafting off of me. It really was perfect timing.

Besides the annoying drafting guy I had a great race and really enjoyed the course - yes it was wet from the hurricane and yes there were leaves and sticks on the course but it was still a fast course.

Pulled up to get off the bike and watched Dave, Scott and Kevin all do flying dismounts and go right by me as I unclipped and got off my bike. I need to learn how to do a flying dismount.

Nothing - really happy with this ride - a dramatic improvement over past races.
Transition 2
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

6th fastest T2 time overall - I was happy with it.

Nothing.
Run
  • 42m 40s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Came out of T2 with the same group I went in with and the race was on. I was told coming out of T2 that I was 7 OA - quickly moved up 5th and then it was a matter of how much long I hold on for as I knew that I had 5-10 runners who were trying to chase me down. Scott, who KQ at LP this year, jumped in front of me a 1/2 or so in and I just kept on his feet. For the next 2 miles it was just the two of us. He would surge and I would match it. Before the turn around he surged uphill and I could not stick with him and had to drop back. At the turn around I saw 3-4 guys who looked like they were coming hard and fast. Kevin Kunkel (did Kona last year) came up to me around the 3.5 mile mark and he and I ran together for a while but I was really hurting by this time and he was slowly pulling away. Kept plugging away and tried to maintain my form.

Got to the last hill, saw my hr was 190 uphill and sure enough got sick 2x within 200 meters of the finish. Luckily no one was close to passing me but unfortunately a volunteer saw me and announced to everyone "WE HAVE A PUKER!" Everyone on the out course and all the volunteers looked at me - great, thanks for that buddy.

Still no one behind me so I was able to cruise in.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and talked with everyone. The reston triathlon is in my opinion the best, most well run tri I have done. This was the 25th anniversary and they do a great job. They made the decision to close the swim (The right decision) due to the hurricane immediately, alwasy have the course well marked with plenty of volunteers, the course is really pretty, the food is wonderful and the swag is the best - this year - tshirts, transition bags, sock guy socks, etc plus a cold towel and cold water bottle is handed to you as you cross the finish line.

They do a great job with this race.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not having the swim hurt me - I would have been 3rd-5th OA with the swim.

My swim is there, my bike is starting to get there but my run is not good enough to compete with the top guys at this point. I need to be running a 37 to 39 10K at the end of a race to have a shot at holding off the big boys. Hopefully a good winter of run focused training gets me there.

Event comments:

A very well run challenging but fast race.

Last updated: 2008-04-01 12:00 AM
Running
00:14:55 | 02.5 miles | 05m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/24
Overall: 16/498
Performance: Average
HR was in the 170s and low 180s once I was warmed up.
Course: Easy shaded loop course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 00:45
Overall:
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
00:58:07 | 23.6 miles | 24.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/24
Overall: 6/498
Performance: Good
HR was in the mid 170s most of the ride.
Wind: Little
Course: Windy, rolling course - really plays to my str as I like to be up out of the saddle for the uphills and push the down hills.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 95
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:38
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:42:40 | 06.21 miles | 06m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 4/24
Overall: 19/498
Performance: Average
HR was in the mid 170s for most of the race until the end where it jumped into the low 180s and finally topped out at 190.
Course: Winding, rolling, shaded, wet course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-08 1:40 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: Reston Triathlon (Duathlon)

2008-09-08 1:46 PM
in reply to: #1658493

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Subject: RE: Reston Triathlon (Duathlon)
Great job, Dan!  Don't you just love it when someone gets called out like that re: drafting penalty.  Poetic justice.  Swimming is your specialty and you're putting up a 24.3 bike split. Mmmmmkay.
2008-09-08 2:08 PM

Regular
Vienna,VA
Great race. Great bike.
2008-09-08 2:55 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2008-09-08 2:59 PM

Great job, dude! I love that I have friends who are fast I think everyone went out way too fast on that first run. Even I was running 8-minute miles!
2008-09-08 3:05 PM

Master
SMIBville
great race Dan!

2008-09-08 3:26 PM

Veteran
King George, VA

Solid effort!  Great splits!

Z
2008-09-08 7:16 PM
in reply to: #1658806

Master
Reston, VA
Gold member

wurkit_gurl - 2008-09-08 3:59 PM Great job, dude! I love that I have friends who are fast I think everyone went out way too fast on that first run. Even I was running 8-minute miles!

You looked great out there, Dan! Great bike leg, and the best thing is you are fast even without a swim

2008-09-08 8:01 PM

Extreme Veteran

Way to push through the pain man, that last hill was a btich!  I think everyone went out too fast on the first 2.5 miles.

Also, I've got flying dismounts down...  We'll have to get together and do them sometime; I don't know if my method is what is recommended, but I transition from bike to run without losing any momentum.

Again, you did great!

2008-09-09 10:38 AM

Expert
Virginia
Great job!!  I'm certain I saw you leaving transition going to the run now too.  You guys were MOVING!
2008-09-09 3:39 PM

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
I don't care what you say ..... your bike and run are there as well!  Ideally it would be good to get under 40 for the run, but with the swim and bike you can put up that is just icing ..... Great race and congrats on the AG podium and top 10 overall!!

Edited by Daremo 2008-09-09 3:39 PM

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Reston Triathlon (Duathlon) Rss Feed