Georgia Multisports
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 46m 58s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Clyde
Age Group Rank = 4/32
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4:30am, packed the car, and was on the road a little after 5am. I thought I would be there in plenty of time to unpack and hang out for a bit. As it turned out, I had a little trouble finding the park, and once I got to the park, it took forever to get through the gate and get parked. I probably got to the trasition area at 7:40.
Event warmup:

Since I got there so late, all I had time for was a quick jog to loosen the legs up and then head down to the water. I didn't have time to completely set up my transition area which would come back to haunt me in T1.
Swim
  • 26m 41s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Pretty good swim. The goal was to go as efficiently fast as I could, keeping in mind this was the first leg of the race. I felt like I swam smooth and at no time was tired or out of breath. I may have held back too much, but I would have rather erred to the side of caution than go out too hard.
What would you do differently?:

Swim straight! On the long, back straightaway, I was in open water so I went for a good 2 minutes without sighting. Then I hear "look up, look up!". So I pick my head up and see that i'm about 10 feet away from running into a boat. A big boat. I guess they were anchored to watch the race. So after that i made and effort to sight more but i still had trouble maintaining a straight line. I'll have to work on that.
Transition 1
  • 03m 25s
Comments:

This is where my poor setup bit me. I had to go into my bag to get my sunglasses b/c I forgot to put them out. I also had to find a gel pack. Definitely not a disaster, but I could have done a minute better if i was prepared.

Practice transitions. Set up my transition area better
Bike
  • 1h 15m 59s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 20.61 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, word for the race was efficient. I had an efficient ride. I didn't kill myself going up hills, and I took it easy going down, but I never took any time off. A good, constant effort. I kept my bike computer on avg speed and tried to keep it above 21mph. I would get up to 21.3 or 21.4 after a nice downhill, then watch it creep back down after an uphill. The last set of rollers dropped me below 21, but it was a fun battle. Then main thing was that after the bike, I felt fine going into the run.

Not much. Again, I probably held a little back, but I needed to for the run. I've got to remember to keep drinking. I had half a bottle left after the bike. Also, i think my rear der. is bent which is causing some chain skipping.
Transition 2
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

T2 was fine. I did forget my visor and had to go back and get it. That may have cost me 15 seconds but no big deal.

Both of my transistions were slower than other people finishing around the same time as I did. I really do need to practice them.
Run
  • 59m 11s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

Hilly and hot. If your weakness is running, this makes it glaringly obvious, as it did with me. I started out good for the first 3 miles keeping the pace just about 9:00. The next mile was around 9:30. By then it had turned into a death march. I walked the remaining aid stations and at the crests of a few hills. So miles 5 and 6 were each at around a 10:30 pace. The last turnaround was so hard. You had to pass the road leading to the finish which was mentally crushing, go for about a 1/3 of a mile to an uphill turnaround, then head back to the finish road. Plus that last turnaround section had no shade and it was hot. Once I got to the last turn, there was a hill and then the finish, so I gave it what i had left and finished strong - relatively speaking.

Not much. I did what i could do. Ultimately, I need to run more. Lots more. I had visions of attempting a half-iron next year, but I may push that back a year. I don't think i'm ready yet, and I think i've got a long way to go before I am ready.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank as much water as i could get my hands on. Then hit the snack buffet for cookies, muffins, gatorade, and coke. A little stretching and then walked around to see if i could find and NAMC'ers. I did see Lisa but nobody else.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe a little conservative with race pacing for the first two legs. Definitely need to train more for the run.

Event comments:

Another great GA Multisport race. Never disappointed by those guys.

Last updated: 2008-06-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:41 | 1640 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/32
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: no
Course: Triangle coure going clockwise. After the first turn, super duper long straightaway to get to the next turn.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:25
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:15:59 | 26.1 miles | 20.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/32
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: 1 Loop course with rolling hills. I only remember one extended "climb". It seemed like I was always either going up or down. Not many flat areas.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:43
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:59:11 | 06.21 miles | 09m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/32
Performance: Average
Course: Kind of an out and back, but with a bunch of detours through campsites and stuff. I guess they were just trying to piece together 6.2 miles. Very hilly. Very tough (for me anyway). And very hot towards the end.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-15 9:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
GA
Subject: Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon

2008-09-15 11:14 AM
in reply to: #1674256

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga
Subject: RE: Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon
4/32.. excellent. Nice race. Sounds like you are nailing the pacing part quite well. The run course was probably the most difficult Olympic distance run course I have ever done. In fact, it wins that distinction hands down. It was a bit easier two years ago.
2008-09-15 2:22 PM
in reply to: #1674256

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Nice looking day! I've heard that run course is no gimme.
2008-09-16 2:17 PM
in reply to: #1675243

User image

Master
Woodstock, GA

Great job.  I looked for you before and after the race, but obviously to no avail.  I see why I could not find you before the race since you were not there.    Great swim.  I assume you have been a swimmer at some point in your life.

You should come do the Six Gap Century.  Justin, Jessica, and I think Brian are doing three gaps.  David O'Rear and I are doing the six.

Edited by nealphelps 2008-09-16 2:20 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tugaloo Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed