Overall Rank = 100/223
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 17/25
Swim
  • 33m 52s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim ended up being my best part of the race. I felt good for most of it, however that last .3 miles took its toll. My arms/shoulders were feeling it, partly due to the wetsuit and partly because of lack of training. They felt really heavy as I struggled just to get them above water and my pull wasn't strong at all.

It began very foggy, which actually caused a 20 minute start delay, however the fog lifted by the time we started our wave and sighting wasn't an issue at all.

I ended up being 6th in my age group, so I was very pleased with my time!
What would you do differently?:

Try drafting a bit more, but unfortunately I was swimming alone for most of the way. Also, I need to practice in the wetsuit more often so my shoulders don't get so fatigued.
Transition 1
  • 05m 26s
Comments:

Long run from the end of the swim to transition which included an uphill, some steps, and then the entire length of the transition area as we had to enter it from the farthest end. I took my time, got some nutrition in, and headed off to the bike.

Since this was my first Half, I wouldn't have done anything differently for this race, however for future Half's I will try to knock off some time.
Bike
  • 3h 51m 47s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.50 mile/hr
Comments:

The first 15 miles were nice and rolling and had some beautiful downhills. Although it was cold, the toe warmers and arm warmers kept me warm. Then came the Westernport Wall, and as described by the website, it was steep (31%). The first two-thirds of the Wall weren't too bad, then I hit the last part of the Wall and had all the strength and momentum to get up it with the great crowd at the top cheering everyone on. I get past the cracked pavement, which is the last part of the Wall and the toughest part, and all that is between me and the end (at the top of the hill is a race volunteer writing down the numbers of all racers who successfully got up it) is about 20 feet. Right then and there is where my chain popped off and my hopes of getting that engraved brick in the Wall were diminished. I asked the race volunteer if I was given credit because I was literally 20 feet from him, and he said No. I walked my bike up the 20 feet and was so dissappointed. I get to the top of the Wall and my chain is jammed inside of the crank. I fixed it and kept on going. For the next 36 miles of the bike course I asked myself the question "Why me?". Why the hell did my chain have to pop 20 feet from the top of the hill??? I didn't shift, I wasn't pedaling hard, it was just a normal pedal stroke and it popped off. It sucked!!

The rest of the course was very hilly. Turn after turn, hill after hill after hill. Killer Miller was a ridiculous hill, and they didn't stop from there. More climbs until about Mile 45 and the rest of the ride wasn't too bad. My goodness what a course!

Susan Williams, the winner of the pro women's field and also a bronze medalist in Athens, said in her speech during the award ceremony that this was the toughest bike course she's ever ridden. She has done St. Croix and lives in Boulder, CO, so coming from her that says alot. It is only one person's perspective, so take it for what it's worth, but nonetheless it was a very challenging, difficult, and memorable course!!

Practice more hills! Strength train!
Transition 2
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

No issues, took my time.
Run
  • 2h 16m 54s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

First 2 miles were great, I felt good coming off the bike. I was at about an 8:40 mile pace and then mile 3 was a hill through a wooded area. That is when I started feeling fatigued. Mentally it hit me hard that this course was somewhat hilly and that I'd be doing this course twice since it was 2 loops. The rest of the way I could only manage a jogging pace and then had to walk most of the hills. I took my time at all aid stations to fuel up. But I still felt horrible at the finish line. This course wiped me out!

Train harder, especially on hills!
Post race

Last updated: 2008-09-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:52 | 2112 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/25
Overall: 0/223
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Wetsuit
Course: Out and back rectangular shaped course.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 05:26
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:51:47 | 56 miles | 14.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/25
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: 1st 20 miles were scenic, fun, rolling, and relaxing. Miles 20-45 were hills, more hill, and then some more hills. The last 10 miles or so were rolling and not too bad.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:16:54 | 13.1 miles | 10m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/25
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 loop course, part trail, mostly road. Mix of hills and flats.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-09-22 9:05 PM

Regular
Maryland
Subject: Savageman HIM

2008-09-22 10:17 PM
in reply to: #1689554

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: Savageman HIM

Congratulations on your finish Savageman!  That's an incredible course for your first HIM!

Hope you recover quickly from that.

2008-09-23 7:39 AM
in reply to: #1689740

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Damn, man that sucks, sorry about the chain.  I was reading your RR saying to myself, GO!, GO!, damn...

Great race though, tough first HIM.

2008-09-23 8:23 AM

User image

Master
Guelph, Ontario
That really sucks about the Westernport wall. Hard to belive that only a few feet from the top and the chain blows out. Especially when you corrected it at the top and didn't have any trouble going forward.
That though is an awesome race for your first HIM. Everything else after that will seem very easy.
2008-09-23 8:48 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Congrats on the finish!!!

Sorry to hear about the chain. That sucks to be so close to the top, then it pop off.
2008-09-23 10:47 AM

New user

Hey D.

good description. I finished just before you, but in the 35-39 AG. What a race, toughest thing I have ever done. Was neither mentally or physically prepared for that bike ride. Steeeeep hils and awesome descents. By the time I got to the run I was spent. Stopped at every AID station, drank, ate, breathed and then moved on. Finished in 6H50:27.

BR

Danish Savage

2008-09-23 12:11 PM

User image

Master
NJ
WOW! What a way to start HIM's. Great job! That sux about your chain though. Next time you'll do it.
2008-09-24 6:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Outstanding race, Dan. I've reviewed the bike course and I know it is brutal so great job! Tough luck on the chain, what a kick in the , huh? I hope your recovery is going well! When you are back up and running we'll need to get out for a run...I could use some hill work as well!

--Chris
2008-09-24 7:12 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Millersville, MD
Congratulations, especially with your first HIM being one of the toughest courses anywhere. Well done.
2008-09-24 10:00 AM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina

Great job. I was racing the International that day -first time.  What a day!  That really stinks about your chain.  I was struggling on Toothpick and Frank Brennan, can't imagine doing the WALL.  And how about that run up the Fire Tower road?  You had to do it 2x -ugh!  Fantastic race!

2008-09-24 9:05 PM

User image

Elite

Awesome race. Chains always slip off at the most inopportune times.

2008-09-25 8:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frederick, Maryland
Dan - awesome first HIM!!! Everything else is a breeze from here, huh? Kinda makes up for the Patriot's Half being cancelled and I bet you have even a better sense of accomplishment after hearing that pro woman speak about the course. I was like the other reader routing for you on the Wall and then seeing your chain pop off with only 20 feet to go! Ugh! Well, next year for sure, huh?
2008-09-30 2:48 PM

User image

Master
Millersville, MD

From a fellow savageman finisher (07) insane enough to do this as a first HIM, congrats on your race.  This really is, hands down and without a doubt and by the testimony of countless age groupers who have done "the worlds toughest" and st. croix as well as pros, the hardest HIM out there.  I too thought I would get a brick (successfully did westernport about a dozen times in practice), but a rider went down in front of me on the wall and that was the end of that.  They do allow you to go back down and try again (2 people did it successfully last year) if you want.  I didn't know it was an option and wasn't in the mental state to add to my suffering at that point since I knew what was coming.  Anyway - there's always next year!

Good news is that you are pretty much guaranteed to PR in your next HIM.  My time difference from savageman to diamondman (which is RELATIVELY flat compared to savageman though did have 4 significant climbs lasting several minutes each) was over an hour faster (and I was honestly slightly less in shape for diamondman).

Again - congrats on your race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Savageman HIM Rss Feed