General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Canandaigua, New York
United States
Mary M Gooley Hemophilia Center
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 41m 15s
Overall Rank = 130/278
Age Group = Men 40-44
Age Group Rank = 30/278
Pre-race routine:

FLT is a great late season race in the area. Its only about 30 minutes from my home. The swim is in a lkae that I normally will practice OWS in, the bike is an area that I'll ride several times a year. Basically, its about as home of a course as you can get for a race.

This is the third time I've participated in races here. In 2006, I did the swim leg for a relay team doing the Oly with guys from work. Last year, I did the sprint. This year, I did the Oly by myself. It was my second Oly of my career.

My first, was earlier this year at Keuka Lake. My time was 3:04 and change. It was a brutally hot day and I had to walk a lot. I was dissappointed to not break 3:00. But the heat ruled that day.

My training this summer has been impacted by a couple of injuries. My side has a recurring problem that surfaced in late June, effectively keeping my from swimming the whole summer. I had to withdraw from 2 other tris this summer because of it. Its only recently gotten well enough to let me work back into the pool. I've also been experiencing plantar fasciitis since February. My foot haa gotten well enough that I could start back running some. But I have not done more than 3.5 miles in months.

While I was limited in my swimming and running, I could bike. And I put more miles in the saddle this summer than I ever have before. I was able to bike to work frequently, logging about 20 miles roundtrip. Commuting allows for some pretty good totals over time.

SO with this background, I entered the race. I was not optimally trained, but I knew I would have fun. I would be out there doing something that I've come to love. Spending time with the great group of people that share my passion for fitness.

The day before the race, I estimated that I might be able to go 2:43, with a swim of 0:28, transitions of 0:03, bike of 1:15, and run of 0:57. Some of these were fairly prophetic.
Event warmup:

I had a lot of fun pulling things together the day before. The family went to dinner at Marmadaddy and Jamjam's house and got together with the families of other BTers of Dexter, rstocks3, and Kam32. A fun evening, the kids were having a great time.

I got the car packed the night before. I set the alarm for 4:45 AM. I was able to get to sleep around 10:30. The alarm was not needed, however, as I awoke on my own at about 4:15. Instead of just hanging out in bed, I got up and got on with my morning. Got dressed and ate a normal bowl of cereal. Hopped in the car and stopped for coffee on the way down. Got it with extra sugar. Also got in a banana on the drive down. I got to the parking lot about 5:45.

Got out the bike and pumped up the tires. Walked the ~5 minutes to transition with bike, wetsuit, and bag. My pre-race packet did not have a number to put on my helmet, so they would not let me into transition until I had it. So back to registration I went, got a number for my helmet, then got into transition. I got a good spot, about 10 spaces from the end towards the bike entrance.

Got body marked. Went for a run for a few minutes to help get things moving. Successfully brought about a "Bobby Stocks break". Back into transition to get things unpacked more. Sat down on the curb for awhile to get off my feet and ate another banana. Maybe 6:30, went for another short run for more bobbystock assistance.

Around 6:45, I got on my wetsuit and went down to the lake. I swam out a bit and waded some. I listened to the pre-race meeting while standing in the lake, waist-deep in water. Once it was over, I swam out to the first buoy. By the time I started coming back, the race was close to starting. I got out and stood in line with the others.

I was in the third wave.
Swim
  • 28m 21s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

Up until 1 minute before the start of the race, my plan had been start out swimming side stroke for the first few minutes, switch over to freestyle once I was warmed up, then alternate as needed for my side. But standing in the water with about 70 of my closest friends (wave 3), I said "screw that, I'm swimming freestyle from the start!"

I lined up fairly wide and near the front. The wave started and I started swimming. Guys on both sides of me, we all were about the same speed. I felt someone tickling my feet on a regular basis for the first minute or two.

During my warmup, I noticed the location of the sun, relative to my swim stroke. But by the time my wave went off, the sun went behind some clouds. Fairly thick clouds so that it wasnt readily apparent exactly where the sun was. I lost my navigation key as a result. And boy did that have an effect on my swim.

After a few minutes of going along with my neighbors, I looked up and realized we were all going way, way wide of the buoys. I stopped, stood up actually, and re-aligned. A couple of other guys did the same.

So I started up again on a better line. A few minutes later I realized that I was cutting too much to the left. Argh! Ok, a little wider.

I tried to keep a closer eye on my target, the farthest buoy. And I was able to settle in to my stroke and get my breathing under control. Its always tough to get under control the first few minutes. I just told myself to relax, breath, take it easy.

I would have taken it more easy if I didnt find myself about 50 yards wide of the freaking buoy. ARGH!!!!!!! Ok, now I'm around it. Where's the next one? Can I avoid going off line for that one? Nope, zigzag over to it. At least I cut right by the side of this one before turning back to home.

I tried to sight on a large building on the east shore when I turned to breathe on my right side. But I soon realized that it should have been at 4 o'clock, not 3 o'clock. So I was again, very, very wide. Ok, a better line now.

For the first time in perhaps any tri, I really relaxed on the swim. I tried to lengthen my stroke, feel my body slide through the water, and just glide. Comfortable. Relaxed. Easy.

Except for continuing to drift to the right. I had to correct my line numerous times on the way in.

I ultimately swam almost the entire way in. Many were wading and I was still swimming. Until I could not take a real swim stroke did I get up and wade.

As I exited the water, I noticed on my watch it was 27:15. My swim time at Keuka was about 2 minutes faster. I also heard over the PA that so and so was the 5th woman out of the water. I'd use this information later.

The run to transition went fairly well. I head Mike call me and that was great seeing a cheering, familiar face! I got the top of my wetsuit off well.

As I was crossing the timing mat, I tried taking off my cap and goggles. They got stuck. I could not get my fingers under the edge. So I just pulled up. And, of course, it stretched. I probably looked a bit like a Conehead before it finally went POP! It came off and my goggles shot up into the air. A woman gasped. Fortunately, the goggles landed in front of me, so I just scooped them up and kept running.
What would you do differently?:

The biggest problem was my horrendous navigation. I think I covered every square inch of the north end of Canandaigua Lake. Obviously a lack of OWS was a factor. I'll have to work on this next summer. Not having the sun to help me keep my line definitely hurt. But I need a better Plan B.

On the other hand, I was able to really relax on the swim for the first time ever in a race. That had to help down the line during the race.

That said, my swim time exactly equalled my pre-race guess of 0:28. I'm just dissappointed being 2 minutes slower than I know I'm capable of.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

Ranked 81st overall.

I found my bike with ease. I was surprised to find that my bag had been moved. Fortunately, whoever moved it left my shoes, drinks and towels. I would have been in trouble if I lost my contacts in the water, because my glasses were in the bag in case of emergency.

But all was well and the bag was not needed. I got my wetsuit off just fine. I sat down, toweled off my feet, put on my socks and put on my bike shoes. Stood up, sun glasses and helmet on. Grabbed bike and realized that my sock on one foot was not on right. Reached down and fixed it. Ran to the exit with the bike.

Unlike Keuka where I had a lot of trouble getting clicked in, I just started peddling, getting some speed going. Then I clicked in.

Nothing. Lost a few seconds on the sock issue, but nothing I could reasonably control.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 1s
  • 24 miles
  • 20.00 mile/hr
Comments:

A longtime goal has been to reach 20mph in a race. I got it in this race.

I had ridden this exact course a couple of times in the last month or so, so it was very familiar. I knew what to expect, were to push, were to coast, etc.

I felt a touch slow the first mile out to 5 & 20. I took the opportunity to draw hard on my gatorade. I wanted to get that in on the ride, for 150 calories. I was successful in this.

We turned off 5&20 and I was able to increase my pace. A lot of time spent in aero. We turned off for the stretch out to Gorham. There is a beautiful long downhill where you can just fly. I got in aero and just cranked, pushing well over 30mph for this stretch. I seemed to be going with a 3 other people, 2 guys and a girl.

We turned back towrards the lake. A few hills and the woman stood up to climb. I didnt want to push that hard and let her go. I cruised along for awhile, occassionally passing people and getting passed by some. I passed 2 women and another passed me.

During this stretch I felt some fatigue for the first time. We were about 1:10 into the race. A few minutes later we reach the turn and go up the steep hill.

I put the bike in the 30 tooth front ring and spun up. I rode next to a guy up the hill and we chatted the whole way. A highschool kid who did the swim in about 20 minutes he said. 2nd out of the water according to him.

About this time, Jackie passed me! I knew she would catch me at some point, but I did not know when. She pulled ahead as the hill went up. A few more guys caught up and we all kind of formed a group of about 5 or 6. Passing back and forth, not drafting though. During this time, I caught back up to Jackie and told her that she was either in 5th or 6th overall for women.

We all ebbed and flowed until we went down the steep downhill to Lake Road. There, I lost them. The ride along Lake Road was pleasnt. I cruised along at a reasonable pace. Not going too hard, but not too easy either. I think my HR was in the 130 range.

I was a touch fatigued I went up the hill to FLCC. That part was fine. Turned back to the road to the TA. The last mile was very tight between the cones and the shoulder. Barely room for 2 across. I hugged the cones and got passed a couple times despite going about 23mph. One guy had to back off passing as there wasa debris on the shoulder.

We turned into transition and I got off the bike. OH MY GOD I thought my hamstring were going to explode. Holy Moses! I could barely walk. I grunted pretty loudly and a guy asked if I was ok.

Nothing. When you reach a longtime goal pace, you celebrate!

In my prerace estimate, I pegged a bike time of 1:15. I beat that by 3 minutes.
Transition 2
  • 01m 15s
Comments:

83rd overall.

I looked at my watch and saw that I was about 1:42. Hot Damn! I'm going to break 3 hours. And if I can run at all, I can beat 2:40! That would be freaking sweet!!!!

Despite feeling like a cripple, I was able to get my bike racked well. Shoe swap was fine too. Then I started moving to the run exit. I came so, so close to stopping and try to stretch out my hamstrings. But I just kept moving.

Nothing.
Run
  • 57m 48s
  • 6.38 miles
  • 09m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

I cannot imagine what I looked like leaving transition. I was in pain and I'm sure my stride looked like an old man's with a hemeroid problem. But I kept moving. And by the time I entered the trail portion, my stride was about normal.

The run is always my relatively slowest leg. Its a bit disconcerting to see person after person blow past me like I'm standing still. I've done enough tris, however, to kind of be used to it. It just part of my races.

I ran my own race. I executed my plan as well as I could. The first lap I wanted to keep it easy and under control. Pick it up in the second lap. I walked through all the water stations the first leg. Making sure I was adequately hydrated. Also took a few deep cleansing breaths.

I passed the 1 mile mark and said to myself, "That was easy, lets keep going!". When I passed the 3 mile mark, I looked at my watch. 2:11. "Go buddy, run! You can make 2:40!!!!!"

It occurred to me that the distance from the 3 mile mark to the finish line seemed really long. It had to be way more than 0.1 miles. Not sure exactly what it was, but it was fairly long.

Anyway, I tried to pick it up on the second loop. On the trial portion, I started singing a song to myself from the folk band, the Waifs. "People who think they can, I want to be just like those who think they can. I'm going to pick my head up and keep my back up straight. What matters most is to find yourself hanging around with people who think they can. I want to be just like those who think they can."

I can do this.

My mind drifted back to a year ago when I did the sprint race. I had been overcoming injuries and was just so, so happy to be out competing. I realized how powerful that emotion was. "PUT A SMILE ON YOUR FACE!"

So I put a smile on my face and picked up the pace.

Somewhere in the trail area, I passed someone. The first person on the entire run that I passed after getting passed by literally dozens. I looked at the results and was amszed to find someone with a faster swim and bike splits and slower run split than me. I didnt think that was possble! :)

I passed up the water this lap. Out to close to 5&20. "RUN!" Out the pier and back. "PICK IT UP!"

2:34. "You've got 6 minutes, you can do it!!!!!!!!!"

I passed the 6 mile mark at 2:38. "GOOOOO!!!!! You can do 0.2 miles in 2 minutes!!!!!!!!! GOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I was giving it all I could. But I think it was a lot more than 0.2 miles to go. I was turning off the road to the finish shute when my watch passed the 2:40 mark. I continued to run hard to the end, even passing just my second person right before crossing the line.

I gave it all I had. Nothing more to give or do.
Post race
Warm down:

I had nothing left to give. I forced myself to keep walking. A few minutes went by before I got my breathing under control. I found some familiar faces and sat down to chat. But I knew I couldnt sit long or I would not be able to get up.

I strolled over to transition and found my bag on the grass island with a street light on it. I guess they moved many bags there. I took the opportunity to stretch out, call the family, and change my shirt. Jackie came by and I got the rundown of her FANTASTIC results!

I cleared out of transition and walked my stuff back to the car. A good thing, because it starting misting rain shortly thereafter. I did go back and chatted with people for an hour or two post race. I did get a quick massage for my hamstring by the ART guys there.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I had the best race that I could given my training level. I would do nothing differently. Yes, I'll learn from the navigation issues, but going in, I would not have expected that problem.

This race was the best I could do. I also beat my prerace goal by 2 minutes, all from the bike. The other splits were dead on my guesses.

These events are so much fun. I'm glad I had the opportunity to do it. My 2:41 time may not be surpassed by me for some time. Many, many things broke right for me this race. I am really pleased.

Event comments:

A very good race. Well run, well attended, well organized. Better sign up early, because it will sell out quick!

Last updated: 2008-02-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:21 | 1500 meters | 01m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 18/278
Overall: 67/278
Performance: Below average
Suit: full body wetsuit
Course: Wade start, swim straight out about 725 meters, turn left about 50 meters, turn left again and come back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 64F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:12:01 | 24 miles | 20.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 26/278
Overall: 99/278
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Rolling hills with one decent climb. A fast course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:15
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:57:48 | 06.38 miles | 09m 03s  min/mile
Age Group: 44/278
Overall: 207/278
Performance: Good
Course: 2 loops around a flat course. Some on dust gravel trail, most on road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-09-22 10:47 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2008-09-23 8:08 AM
in reply to: #1689798

User image

Elmira, NY
Subject: RE: Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance
All I can say is I' m glad I was able to see you race today.  You were absolutely on fire out there.  When I have a tough moment I'm gonna think of just how well you did in this race and pick it up a notch or two.  I just wish I was able to spend some more time hanging around with you and all of the other BT'ers.  You guys are simply awesome.  Congratulations on your race and a performance to remember.  Do I see Musselman half in your future?
2008-09-23 8:25 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Awesome job Rob!!! Great job on the bike!  It has got to feel great to exceed a goal like that!

I don't know what it was about the sighting, I had that issue as well and I had a lot of company!

Again, great job out there!!!

2008-09-23 12:30 PM

User image

Expert
Central New York
Righteous work for a guy who's been injured. Nice going.
2008-09-23 1:19 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy

Woo hoo on the bike....I only dream of obtaining that goal.  Score-this has me at 17.7 mph and I don't think that is correct, I would love for it to be, but my Garmin shows otherwise.

Bad day for sighting, I got lost and had to fix on the lady of the lake to reset my course!  Such an overcast day.

You had a nice race to close the season with.

2008-09-23 2:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY

You really had an outstanding race!!  Even the run time was great!  A 9 min pace is nothing to sniff your nose at.  The bike pace is fantastic, and your swim time is great too, even with all of the zigzagging. 

Excellent job!  Cool

2008-09-23 3:14 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England

Nice report.  I knew you could swim I knew you could bike.  I am amazed and thrilled for you to pull of 6.2miles of running after not being able to run much in ages

2008-09-23 9:12 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

Who smoked the course? You smoked the course!

Outstanding race, Rob. Just outstanding.

2008-09-23 9:13 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua

"Basically, its about as home of a course as you can get for a race." Oh I can get closer, hehe.

Congrates on your time sweet.  You'll get that two minutes somewher in the future.  Yes it is longer then 6.2 miles.  Most sprinters got at around 3.3 on garmin.  Can't google it since trail isn't on the photo yet.  

Glad you could race and feel good after.  

2008-09-24 7:46 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Incredible times for an oly and recovering from those nagging injuries!

Congratulations!

2008-09-30 8:10 PM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO

20mph......Nice!!!!

Good Job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Finger Lakes Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed