General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Canada: Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 12

2009-02-18 5:59 PM
in reply to: #1691946

Subject: RE: Ironman Canada: Official Thread
Me and the Mrs. are in for '09. It'll be both our first times... I did 5 half IMs last season, and 3 marathons. I am currently trying to squeeze Boston Marathon training into IM training, so we'll see have that goes. I just ran a 1:29 half marathon on Sunday, which was 90 seconds better than my previous PB. Other than that, I have a sprint and oly, plus a 4k open water swim race, and the 8k road race at the Vancouver Marathon planned for sharpening up my racing chops. I raced a lot last year, I'm really scaling it back and focusing on the training this year. We have an IM coach and belong to a pretty good training group now. We're pretty excited about the race!

2009-02-19 11:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

Wow! ! !  Questions, Questions, Questions. . .

1) Water Temp?  I have a sleeveless wetsuit.  Is the water too cold for a sleeveless?

2) I am planning to fly to Vancouver from Dallas, Texas, and then drive to Kelowna where my hotel is located.  Do I need to do anything special to drive in Canada?  How long is the drive?  How long is the drive from Kelowna to Penticton?

3) I will be using Infinit Nutrition.  I am wondering how I should get that to the race.  I don't know if the customs officials would like to see bags of white powder.  Any suggestions?

I think that's all the questions for now.  This will be my second IM.  IMLou last year, and now IMC this year.  Can't Wait! ! !

TexTriGuy. . .    I figure we are pretty close.  I train at White Rock Lake, and do my OWS's at Hubbard.  My wife follows along with a kayak to make sure i don't get hit by boats.  Maybe we can get some long rides in over the summer

2009-02-19 5:17 PM

It takes about 45 min to get from kelowna to penticton....but.....they have been doing construction along that stretch of road over the past year in which they shut down the entire road for certain intervals of time. Usually they have postings as to what times the closure will occur. I'm not sure if their still working on the road as I haven't been out since early fall so I would check on that.

I have a question about infinite. I've been thinking of trying it out (currently use endurox) but when I go on the website there are so many different formulas. I was wondering what everyone else was using.
2009-02-19 7:43 PM

User image

Champion
MA

I have some questions too...

1. How hard is it for family to move around race day and see you on different parts of the course since bike and run are only 1 loop? IMLP the town gets shut down and it was tough for them to get around but it was two loop course.

2. Are mileage signs in both miles and Kilometers? If not I need to have refresher course on the metric system.

3. How is cell phone reception? 

2009-02-19 9:38 PM
in reply to: #1971693

User image

Veteran
Dallas

m3fraser - 2009-02-19 5:17 PM It takes about 45 min to get from kelowna to penticton....but.....they have been doing construction along that stretch of road over the past year in which they shut down the entire road for certain intervals of time. Usually they have postings as to what times the closure will occur. I'm not sure if their still working on the road as I haven't been out since early fall so I would check on that. I have a question about infinite. I've been thinking of trying it out (currently use endurox) but when I go on the website there are so many different formulas. I was wondering what everyone else was using.

Infinit Nutrition. . . There are numerous Great things about it, and Only ONE bad thing.  The bad thing first, and its not all that bad.

1) The Bad is: It is all liquid nutrition, so you have a liquid on the bike and run.  For 112 miles of bike I had 3 bottles  on my bike at the start, and 3 bottles in my special needs at the 56 mile mark.  I used a fuel belt with 4 bottles (concentrated). At the aid stations on the run I would put some of the concentrate in a cup of water and drink it.

2) The Good is that you don't get the GI distress that Gels give you.  Another good thing is your formula is custom made, so you can adjust the amount of flavour.  I reduce my flavour so that I don't get tired of drinking it throughout the day.  I trained with it and did very well during IM Louisville (my first IM). 

Don't get freaked out by all the formulas.  The ones you will want to focus on are the "Sprint Formula", the "Iron Distance Formula", and the Recovery Drink (if you want).  For the IM I used the Iron Distance on the Bike, and the Sprint on the Run. 

Start out by doing the introductory questionaire on the website.  That will get the sliders in a general starting position.  Then call the Infinit Nutrition number and ask for Michael.  He's the owner.  Tell him you want to put a little finesse in your sliders, and he will ask you some questions, and help you out.

This product is GREAT, and the customer service is Awesome.  And the Guarantee is just as awesome.  The first batch I ordered was too strong, and I didn't like the fruit punch flavour.  So they sent me a new batch of a different flavour, and I didn't have to send the old stuff back.

I wrote alot, but only scratched the surface of how great it is.

2009-02-19 11:16 PM
in reply to: #1970538

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB
shamgar7 - 2009-02-19 10:01 AM

1) Water Temp?  I have a sleeveless wetsuit.  Is the water too cold for a sleeveless?

2) I am planning to fly to Vancouver from Dallas, Texas, and then drive to Kelowna where my hotel is located.  Do I need to do anything special to drive in Canada?  How long is the drive?  How long is the drive from Kelowna to Penticton?

3) I will be using Infinit Nutrition.  I am wondering how I should get that to the race.  I don't know if the customs officials would like to see bags of white powder.  Any suggestions?

I think that's all the questions for now.  This will be my second IM.  IMLou last year, and now IMC this year.  Can't Wait! ! !

TexTriGuy. . .    I figure we are pretty close.  I train at White Rock Lake, and do my OWS's at Hubbard.  My wife follows along with a kayak to make sure i don't get hit by boats.  Maybe we can get some long rides in over the summer

Hey Shamgar7...hope I can help a bit. This is my first IM but the hubby has done IMC twice and we have spectated many times.

Wetsuit...most will wear full though I have seen a few with sleeveless. Sorry but I don't recall water temps.

Driving...about 4-4.5 hours from Vancouver to Penticton though if you are staying in Kelowna you are probably better off taking the Coquihalla (Hwy 5). The road construction between Kelowna and Penticton seems to be ongoing so you might want to check on that. Depending on your location in Kelowna, the drive time is about 40 minutes to Penticton. Nothing special needed to drive here.

Travelling with your nutrition...I have flown with mine before and would suggest that you double zip-loc it and then if possible, put it in your checked luggage or if you will be needing a significant amount, you might just consider bringing it in its original container.

Hope I helped...happy training!

2009-02-19 11:28 PM
in reply to: #1971898

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB
KathyG - 2009-02-19 6:43 PM

I have some questions too...

1. How hard is it for family to move around race day and see you on different parts of the course since bike and run are only 1 loop? IMLP the town gets shut down and it was tough for them to get around but it was two loop course.

2. Are mileage signs in both miles and Kilometers? If not I need to have refresher course on the metric system.

3. How is cell phone reception? 

Hey Kathy G! Hope I can help....

1. Fairly easy to get around the course- there are areas that are closed to vehicles but there are lots of fans that get out on the course. You  can usually catch the cyclists on at least two points on the course- Richter Pass and Yellow Lake are very popular spots as they are the big climbs. On the run course, it is an out and back so it is very easy for your family to see you leaving and returning on Main St. I believe the course is closed to traffic past Skaha lake which means that you will be on your own for the 20k (I mean 12 miles) in the middle.

2. Yikes...good one...from what I recall distances are in miles. But just in case... 1.6km= 1 mi or every 8 km is 5 miles.

3. Cell phone reception is great! While I was driving out to see my husband on the bike, I got a call from a friend updating me on his swim time and T1- gotta love ironmanlive!

Happy Training, Kathy!

2009-02-20 12:39 PM
in reply to: #1970538

User image

Regular
Kelowna
shamgar7 - 2009-02-19 11:01 AM

1)  I was happy to wear a sleeved wetsuit last year.  I think the water was around 20C.  It felt chilly and I'm from Canada. 

2) Q. Anything special?  A. Ya gotta think in kilometers!

3) Bring the original container, not baggies of white powder and put it in your checked luggage.

2009-02-20 7:51 PM

User image

Champion
MA

We are thinking of flying into Seattle. How long a drive is it?

By flying into Seattle we can fly on Southwest and we have quite a few free tickets and bikes are only $50 each way. With 5-7 of us coming, saving money getting there is important.

Getting home will be tough as kids start school Tuesday (2 in diferent colleges and 3 at local school) and if we figure it will be day to drive to Seattle and a long flight home to Boston.

2009-02-20 10:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Dallas

Thanks for the responses.  I'm looking forward to the event.  The answers to my questions (especially by different folks) really helps! ! !

2009-02-21 6:04 PM
in reply to: #1849111

User image

Nor*Cal

In!

This will be my 2nd IM after IM Florida last year.

-ak-

2009-02-21 9:58 PM
in reply to: #1974017

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB
KathyG - 2009-02-20 6:51 PM

We are thinking of flying into Seattle. How long a drive is it?

By flying into Seattle we can fly on Southwest and we have quite a few free tickets and bikes are only $50 each way. With 5-7 of us coming, saving money getting there is important.

Getting home will be tough as kids start school Tuesday (2 in diferent colleges and 3 at local school) and if we figure it will be day to drive to Seattle and a long flight home to Boston.

About 6 hours...depending on the border crossing time. Great that the whole family can make it out!

2009-02-22 11:11 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
shamgar7, back to your earlier questions, "DO YOU NEED ANYTHING IN ORDER TO DRIVE IN CANADA?"...In fact you do, especially since you are coming from Dallas. Due to the large number of polar bears and wild moose in Canada, it is highly recommended that you hire a Certified Guide. These guides are very expensive however what price can you put your life safety at? And you are in luck! I just happen to be a Certified Guide! Send me an e-mail with all your banking information, I'll do a quick background check on you and you know if I can help you out....
2009-02-23 6:03 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Of course I'm kidding, nothing is needed to drive in BC, the roads to Penticton are easy to drive with not too much congestion. Any questions regarding the best way to get from A to B don't hesitate to ask. A few of us have also done IMC before, so feel free to ask more questions about the course. As a side note, the water last year was a freak, way colder than usual, this year is forecast to be normal, sleeveless will be fine.
2009-02-23 10:45 PM
in reply to: #1976572

User image

Veteran
Dallas

hazmaster - 2009-02-22 11:11 PM shamgar7, back to your earlier questions, "DO YOU NEED ANYTHING IN ORDER TO DRIVE IN CANADA?"...In fact you do, especially since you are coming from Dallas. Due to the large number of polar bears and wild moose in Canada, it is highly recommended that you hire a Certified Guide. These guides are very expensive however what price can you put your life safety at? And you are in luck! I just happen to be a Certified Guide! Send me an e-mail with all your banking information, I'll do a quick background check on you and you know if I can help you out....

So, it's pick on the Texan day, is it? ? ? Actually that made my evening! ! ! Funny Stuff! ! !

Thanks for the info. And I am sure I will have more questions the closer it gets. I did IM Lou last year, and the logistics weren't as difficult. At least the water I drink during the swim will taste much better this year! ! !

Thanks again,

John

2009-02-24 9:57 AM

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
The thing with Lake Okanagan is that it's so huge and it can change quickly. If the winds and current change just before the race (as it did last year) it stirs up the cold water from the deeper part of the lake and brings it to the surface. Fingers crossed it doesn't happen again!

2009-02-24 12:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

I haven't read it - or didn't notice, so it may as well be said...other than a guide to get you through the polar bears, you will need paperwork. That means fancy-pants photo-ID if not a passport (although I don't think you need that yet) for every one crossing the Border.

Yes, temperature and the rain ALL AFTERNOON AND ALL NIGHT was a freak last year, but the year before was also freakishly cold. Much of the course is through Canadian desert - really! And some really serious heat is due...but don't bank on it. 

You can get by with a sleeveless wetsuit, but a full makes more sense. The Ogopogo likes bare arms seemingly. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2qmGs0clU8cfor a good look at the lake and:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ogopogo

Lastyear, because of highway construction the only road between Kelowna and Penticton was closed for several hours a day, and there was also traffic along it. I know some who had their 40 minute drive turned into a three hour hassle. 

This is still ongoing, check before you leave...there are lots of info sources...here is but one:

http://www.sunonline.ca/node/758528...summerland is between Kelowna and Penticton.

Despite all this...It is a great race. The people of Penticton and the thousands of Iron volunteers are incredible. 

this link will give you a sense of the topography: 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YzGkvcQqeM/>

You will have an Iron time! I'll see you there!

2009-02-24 5:42 PM
in reply to: #1979431

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB
windnsnow - 2009-02-24 11:49 AM

I haven't read it - or didn't notice, so it may as well be said...other than a guide to get you through the polar bears, you will need paperwork. That means fancy-pants photo-ID if not a passport (although I don't think you need that yet) for every one crossing the Border.

Cross-border flying...passport is a must.

Cross-border driving...A. Passport alone OR B. Drivers License WITH Birth Certificate (there are other combinations with landed immigrant cards, citizenship cards etc...suggest you check online)

Cross-border shopping? watch your limits

2009-03-05 4:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

http://www.nasvacationproperties.com/

I just noticed this...there may be some interesting places to stay, for those of you who many not yet have booked in Penticton.

Note, most hotels/motels are minimum 5-7 day stay!!!

Edit: 

I just checked the availability and there is none!!! maybe next year?

Edited by windnsnow 2009-03-05 4:30 PM
2009-03-06 9:26 AM

User image

Veteran
Calgary, Alberta
Yeah, I'm having difficulty finding a place to stay that isn't going to consume my budget and is close to the race.
2009-03-06 11:36 AM
in reply to: #2001610

User image

Expert
Pitt Meadows, BC
Check out Naramata and Summerland - both really nice quiet towns. Also look at B&B's, there's a lot of really nice ones around that aren't too expensive. House rentals are also a good option if there are a few of you coming out.

2009-03-06 1:12 PM
in reply to: #2002013

User image

Regular
Kelowna
I'm fixing my accommodations problem by moving to Kelowna
2009-03-06 5:22 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Keep checking back for accommodations as the season progresses and some people have to cancel out for whatever reason. Last year, with only a couple months to go, we switched to a motel right on Lakeshore drive.

Good thing too, since I ran back and forth from the room to the start area three times on race day morning! Make sure your various bags for the race are sorted out in advance!

Edited by Micawber 2009-03-06 5:25 PM
2009-03-06 7:02 PM

User image

Regular
Calgary,AB

Ditto Micawber... as with the past 3 years, we have reserved a year in advance and are committed to a 5 night minimum. The hotel just called to confirm that we want the room and has charged our credit card with no possibility for cancellation.

Last year, we had friends decide last minute to come up, watch and sign up. They had no troubles securing a room with no minimum nights.

Also consider asking hotels if they take waiting lists. Check some other forums too...if someone has been charged and has to bail they will want to try to get someone to take their place.

The other thought is if you are ok with camping, I believe that Provincial parks don't take reservations until 3 months before, and there are a couple of nice parks relatively close by that you can try in May.

2009-03-08 9:09 PM
in reply to: #2001610

User image

Extreme Veteran
Land of living sighs

rooneye - 2009-03-06 9:26 AM Yeah, I'm having difficulty finding a place to stay that isn't going to consume my budget and is close to the race.

Try the Stardust Motel. Nothing fancy...has a pool...10-15 minute walk from race start. Clean - Don't force you to stay 7 days like some of the others. That's where I stayed last year and will again this year. 

But don't expect the ritz.

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Canada: Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 12