United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 33m 18s
Overall Rank = 20/183
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/20
Pre-race routine:

My goal for this race was to cut 8 minutes off last year's time, giving me a 2:40. I had planned on cutting 2 minutes off the swim by either drafting off someone I knew, or going hard. And I wanted to cut 6 minutes off my dismal run split from last year (which was 1:01). I knew I could get the same bike split with less effort this year because I am stronger and have a better bike.

Turns out I slashed that goal and got a 2:33:18, 2nd place AG!

My mantra for this race was "Don't think you are fast, Know it". Morpheus says that to Neo in "The Matrix". Some BT'r has that in their sig file. It totally worked for me to day.
Event warmup:

Got lost once again on the way to this race! All I had time for was a few running strides in the grass.
Swim
  • 26m 30s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

At the swim start, I looked for one of my competitor's who wears an orange wetsuit. I was planning to try and draft off her. I didn't see her (she didn't show up today, lucky for me!). I had planned on going hard in the swim, so I got in the front of the pack. The horn went off, and I swam hard for about 10 minutes. That was great, because it got me away from the jostling pack. It was hard to see the buoys because of a mist on the water. I stopped too much trying to find the buoys. I ended up just following the people in front of me. That worked.

The way back was easier to see...either the mist was gone or the sun wasn't creating glare off of the mist. I was able to swim straight and strong without stopping at all the entire way back, so made up for lost time. I looked at my watch when I exited the water and it said 26 minutes! WOW, that is a top swim time. I wondered if I was first out of the water for my AG. (I was second).
What would you do differently?:

Trust my instinct to follow the crowd when I can't see the buoys.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Bike
  • 1h 09m 48s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.36 mile/hr
Comments:

I had planned on trying to keep my HR at 155 for the bike. From my other races this season, I figured that would give me a good split, yet not trash my legs. I also wanted to try and keep my average speed at 20.1 mph, which would give me the same bike split I got last year.

I spent the first half of the course just trying to get around people. This race is big (800 cap), and the bike course is just way too crowded. All I could think of during this time was "I'm never doing this race again!". So many people lollygagging on the left and getting in my way. I yelled at alot of folks, and I don't feel bad about it. They should learn the rules of racing. One guy even started to drag race me as I passed him, just when a USAT official went by...you are supposed to drop back as soon as someone's wheel gets in front of yours. I was afraid I'd get a penalty for violating the 15 second rule. Luckily I did not. I yelled at that guy telling him he was supposed to drop back, but he just kept drag racing. JERK.

I constantly checked my HR and it was always in the 160's. Higher than I wanted, but my legs were not burning and my breathing was controlled, so I went by feel instead of HR. In retrospect, I think my HR was probably high due to anger! My average speed floated between 20.1 - 20.7.

The second half was better, as I had gotten in front of alot of those people. I could then relax, focus on holding a tight aero position, and ride strong.

When we passed the parking area, I looked at my time and it was 1:07. OMG, my bike split was going to be awesome. I had put in a great swim, and hadn't seen anyone in my age group on the bike course, so I thought I must be in first place. (I was!)
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Run
  • 53m 53s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I started running at what felt like a good solid pace. My HR was in the high 160's, I was breathing kind of hard, but I felt like I could hold this for a long time.

The entire run I imagined I was Neo controlling the Matrix (Universe) making myself run fast and everyone else not. I got to the first mile marker and my time was 8:37. Given the hills on this course, I was pleased with that pace, and if I could hold onto it, I would meet my 55 min goal. I also hoped I could hold onto a podium spot.

By mile three still noone had passed me. I wondered where all the super fast chicks were. There were at least two that I knew could almost match my swim and bike times, and were better runners. Where were they? Were they in front of me? I didn't think so, because I really put in such fast swim and bike splits. (Turns out, those two women didn't show up today - lucky for me!)

I carried my own palm holder water bottle, so did not waste any time at aid stations. I did eat a Gu at mile 4 and grabbed a cup at that station and washed down the Gu. I did it all very fast, tho, so didn't lose much time.

At mile 4, it got hard to keep up my pace, but I kept imagining I was Neo and controlled the world. A woman with 47 on her leg passed me here. She was wearing a team Aquaphor uniform. I tried to pick up my pace to match hers, but it was too hard and I thought I would fall apart if I kept trying. That shook my confidence for a couple minutes. Then I told myself it was just a glitch in the matrix, and that it wouldn't happen again. It didn't.

Shortly after, my coach/friend Jon passed me on his bike (he had finished his race long ago!). I told him I thought I was in 2nd place, and that Aquaphor chick up ahead had just passed me. I asked him to scope out behind me. He did and returned saying that he hadn't seen anyone in my AG close behind. I didn't know how far back he checked, and with 2 more miles to go, a super fast runner could gain 3 minutes on me. So, pretended someone was on my tail and kept up a hard pace.

In the final 1/4 mile, I started glancing behind me. I saw one female about 25 yards back. I couldn't tell her age, but I started going all out not wanting to lose my 2nd place spot. I made such a mad dash for the finish, that I collapsed in exhaustion after handing in my chip. Several folks asked me if I needed medical attention. I just smiled hugely and said "Nope, I just left it all on the race course today." Some guy said "That's how you want to finish a race!". I had envisioned this race ending in just that way.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Great run.
Post race
Warm down:

Laid in the grass for several minutes after collapsing. Then the desire for a cold drink motivated me to get up and head for the food tent. I met BT'rs Keith(Kapinto), Dick(spot), Bill (fgump) and Alice(love2tri). I looked for Carol(Running_in_NC) but couldn't find you. Didn't see Andrew(firefighter57) and still haven't met Nick(NickinNC).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing - I rocked! I feel so luck! I still can't believe how well I did. Just goes to show you how a good training plan, good tapering, and strong mental effort, can all come together on race day. Also helps to have an awesome tri bike :)

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-06-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:30 | 1640 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/20
Overall: 29/183
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:50
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:09:48 | 24.85 miles | 21.36 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/20
Overall: 12/183
Wind: Little
Course: lots of rolling hills. nothing real steep, but constant rollers that felt like you never got a rest.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:53:53 | 06.21 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/20
Overall: 77/183
Course: Lots of rolling hills. Kind of hot.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-10-05 7:42 AM

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
Subject: Pinehurst Triathlon

2008-10-05 7:58 AM
in reply to: #1718871

User image

Veteran
Kinston, NC
Subject: RE: Pinehurst Triathlon
great race!  Heck of a bike split! and you did exactly the right thing on that run - focus on keeping the pace up.  Have a good off season and I will look for you in the spring.
2008-10-05 11:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cary, NC

Fantastic job!  you are one of the fast chicks.  And also poster child for what hard, consistent work does to help you improve.

I am in awe of your greatness!  Maybe by meeting you, some of that will rub off onto me.

2008-10-05 10:13 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, CA

Awesome Race, and Awesome race report!!!  Sounds like you trained well and ran a fantastic race - Congratulations!!!

Dennis

2008-10-06 8:32 AM

User image

Elite
Amazing race Carol!  29/183 Overall too...   Way to finish off '08!
2008-10-06 12:23 PM

User image

Master
Apex, north carolina
Fantastic race. You are Neo!!!!

2008-10-06 4:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Gold member
Great race, nice job on finishing up the season with all your goals covered!
We almost had the same bike split, yours is 1 second faster
2008-10-07 10:32 AM

Extreme Veteran
Charlotte,NC
Great race report.
Congratulations on a great season ending race.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pinehurst Triathlon Rss Feed