Melbourne, Florida
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 53m 44s
Overall Rank = 231/276
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 10/11
Pre-race routine:

Slept well. Protein bar at 0430. Meant to drink my regular shake, but just didn't feel like it. Drank an FRS.
Event warmup:

Stretching. Walking barefoot. Isolation with my IPod & my music to make sure I didn't get too cranked up. Found BT friends, Brian, Scott, Tom. Great conversation. Watched Oly waves start. Kept HR in zone & was really surprised I didn't get cranked up.
Swim
  • 11m 54s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

We all about drowned out there. It was almost funny. If we weren't a bunch of girls, it might have been dangerous & mean, but it was a giant social with everyone gasping for air. Here's how it went down. The wind was kickin', so there was a pretty nice chop. Everyone was so bunched up that we were all just swimming on top of each other & saying, "sorry" over & over. When we came up for air we were smacking & drowning each other & apologizing all over the place. Really, if it wasn't so funny, it would have been disheartening, because it was pretty exhausting. There wasn't a great way to get out of the pack & because we were so bunched up, I just never got into my swimming zone.
What would you do differently?:

Start at the front of the pack. I'm a fairly strong swimmer & had to keep adjusting my pace to stay in position or hurt someone or get hurt. I'm just really glad I spent so much time preparing for the swim!
Transition 1
  • 03m 2s
Comments:

This went pretty well for my 1st transition. My husband said it seemed slow. I looked around & I seemed to be going about the same speed as others. As I review the T1 times, I'm about MOP, but could definitely improve here.

Run from swim to T1 faster, but I really didn't want to mess up my foot, I was very careful! Just move faster in general. I was very methodical in T1 because it was my 1st time.
Bike
  • 1h 00m 48s
  • 15.9 miles
  • 15.69 mile/hr
Comments:

This is where I could have done better. My HRM died in the water, so I didn't have HR feedback. My bike computer malfunctioned, so I didn't have speed feedback. Basically, I was going by "feel" the entire time. I've never trained this way, so I was winging it the entire time. The headwinds going up the causeways were KILLER. Just as I was gaining speed to head up the 1st causeway, I ended up behind 2 girls who must have run out of gas, because they were pedelling like turtles! Cars were coming up, so I couldn't pass at that moment & I lost momentum right before heading up the causeway. I had to really power up to get over. The next 2 were a lot better, but it took a lot out of me. There is a great straight-away before the final causeway where I could "rest" & I think if I would have my computer I wouldn't have rested so much. I caught myself cruising at one time & had to remind myself that this was a race. I probably lost about 10 minutes during that time period of just screwing around. When I got my head back, I kicked it in & finished the bike strong. I sailed up the final & biggest causeway. I actually had to question if I was doing something wrong because I was passing everyone. Coming down the causeway I couldn't even pedal in the highest gear because I was going too fast - COOL!!!! I took the turn into T2 at the bottom of the hill well & got right off the bike without problems. Overall, I loved this part of the race. I had so much fun here!!!

Make sure my computer worked! Keep my head together & not lose speed & time. Work harder to pass those chicks before that nasty bridge.
Transition 2
  • 02m 2s
Comments:

I definitely lost some time here. I decided to run with my socks after training for months to run barefoot. The new shoes just feel different on the tops of my feet & I'm not ready to commit to barefoot running in them yet. Everything went great here, but putting socks onto wet feet is a bit slow. Then, the socks got bunched up at my toes - that had to be fixed. No big deal, though: I wasn't going to be competitive anyway! This was about finishing!!

Run without socks. Take in more fluids at the end of the bike ride so I didn't have to pause for fluids in T2
Run
  • 36m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 11m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

O.k., I knew this part was going to suck, but seriously...it sucked great big d*$#! I started out happy & thrilled that in 3.1 miles I was going to be done. My HRM was fried, so I left it in T2. I need my HRM to tell me what's going on when I run, because I have cardiac issues. I know my pace & started jogging. Within a block I was out of breath & had to walk. I quickly got it together & restarted, but until I hit the 1 mile mark, I just wasn't feeling right. From mile 1 to mile 2 I was in a zone, which is pretty typical for me. Mile 2 to 2.5 SUCKED! I got really hot & just didn't want to run any more. I really had to keep psyching myself up. Finally, there was some good feed-back at 2.5 telling me where I was, so I cranked it up & powered through the last 1/2 mile feeling great.

Accept water at the 1.5 mile mark & pour it over my head to cool down.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around with husband chatting. Stretched out. Met up with Brian & Tom from BT. Ate 1/2 bagel & drank water. Showered, iced my foot. Ate a veggie burger & drank a Corona. Took a nap.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

So many things I can't even begin to list them.

Event comments:

I was here to finish. This was my first tri after years of being sick, so I had absolutely no expectations. I really harbored this secret desire to finish under 2 hours & somehow I did it!!!

Last updated: 2008-05-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:54 | 440 yards | 02m 42s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/11
Overall: 0/276
Performance: Below average
Suit: Tri Suit - Zoot
Course: 1/4 mile well marked.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:02
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:00:48 | 15.9 miles | 15.69 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/11
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Fun course with causeways
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:02
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:36:00 | 03.1 miles | 11m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/11
Performance: Average
Course: Flat - well defined. Lots of support.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2008-10-05 4:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Health First Triathlon

2008-10-05 4:40 PM
in reply to: #1719442

User image

Master
Sacramento, California
Subject: RE: Health First Triathlon
Great Job!!! As with all great accomplishments it came with a few struggles, but you did great to overcome the unexpected and finish strong!!
2008-10-05 4:41 PM

User image

Melbourne, FL

Great report and it was great meeting you out there.  Sucks about the HR monitor but that's all part of the "random" factor we all go through in Tri's.  Congrats on the race and enjoy the rest of your season.

-Scotty

2008-10-05 4:41 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
AWESOME JOB!!!! CONGRATULATIONS   SO glad the foot was good and you had an awesome time   I need socks too....afterall I am Socks   Enjoy the well deserved post race glow

Edited by Socks 2008-10-05 4:41 PM
2008-10-05 10:51 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
Congratulations, good job!
2008-10-06 7:22 AM

User image

Master
Robbinsville NJ
Great job out there. You always remember your first Your description of your thoughts about the run made me laugh on a Monday morning. Thanks.

2008-10-06 8:57 AM

User image

Veteran
Eden Prairie, MN
Great first tri and an excellent race report! Way to beat your goal. Awesome pics BTW. You look like you're having fun!
2008-10-06 9:41 AM

User image

Good Job on your first tri !!!! I'm sure we will be doing more races together.  It was very nice meeting you, and all the others before the race, it helped calm my nerves down a bit !!!!

Sucks about HRM !!! I had a similar problem, but it was just my watch that died, so I had no clue how far into things I was !!! But hey, its all part of the fun !!!!

EXELLENT JOB !!!

Tom !

2008-10-06 11:55 AM

User image

Pro
Melbourne FL
Gold member

ggwellness - 2008-10-05 5:31 PM

Great job Ms. triathlete!!!

I missed you guys after wards, maybe next time...

2008-10-06 12:31 PM

New user

Orlando

AWESOME JOB,

So glad we were all able to meet up, we should all plan on doing another triathlon together next season, as for now its Trainin time for me, haha. I did horrible on the bike portion so thats the first goal.

but really you did a great job,

Brian

2008-10-06 1:49 PM

User image

Master
Silverton, Oregon
Great job beating your goal!!! Enjoyed your race report! I couldn't help but laugh when you talked of having to remind yourself it was a race while biking. I'm still working on that myself, I came from a recreational biking past (lots of slow pedaling and coasting), and always have to remind myself to race on the bike

2008-10-07 8:53 AM

User image

Champion
Bronze member

Smile smile wink wink grin grin grinSmile

Glad I could help you out on the run (mentally) and really happy that you made your secret goal!

We should plan on doing this one next year. 

2008-10-09 4:08 PM

User image

Master
Santa Clarita

Congradulations Triathlete!  You did Great . Enjoy race day and  Dont be so hard on yourself .  Rest up and get ready for the next one , you will have gained invaluable experience from this frirst one and will come back stronger . 

Does the setbacks not make it  feel great to Finish !   

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Health First Triathlon Rss Feed