Panama City Beach, Florida
United States
Ironman North America
Total Time = 12h 51m 27s
Overall Rank = 1404/2270
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 238/351
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:50, ate a cliff bar and a half, drank some Gatoraide, went thru my checklist of items I needed to take and headed out the door. Got to the transition area, put my 2 frozen bottles on my bike and filled my aero bottle with water. Got in line and had my tires filled and then went to drop of my special needs bags. I got body marked between bag drops and then headed back to get into my wetsuit. Walked to the beach and saw Socks. Spoke to her for a little while and then went to try and find my wife in the crowd.
Event warmup:

Does hyperventilating count? I was fine until I broke my wetsuit, again.
Swim
  • 1h 22m 56s
  • 3800 meters
  • 02m 11s / 100 meters
Comments:

I am not a fast swimmer. I was expecting to finish around 1:30 so I couldn't have been happier with my time. I went in about dead center and in the middle. I was a bit panicked about 10 minutes before the start but not for the normal reasons. My zipper had broken off my suit on Thursday's group swim and I had it repaired that afternoon or so I thought. I zipped up my suit very carefully and it broke again. I didn't want to try and carry my zipper with me and I didn't want to loose it so I was scanning the crowd for a familiar face. Luckly I was able to spot a BT shirt, it was Katiefrog, and I asked her if she would hold on to it for me. Thank You! Went to get into position and ran into another Bt'er, said good luck and the gun went off.

We made our way into the water, waded out about 30 yards and then were off. About 3 minutes later I took a pretty good right cross to the chin, a little later another blow to the head and realized, this was awesome! I'm not a physical person but all of the contact and chaos made me realize I was finally doing it. I had not been nervous since I had pulled into town late Tueday night. I guess also being around so many great athletes I kind of felt like I really didn't belong. This was only my 5 triathlon in 3 years. Amazing what can go thru your head in such a short time. Got to the first turn and it was pretty much a stand still. A lot of folks were dog paddling, myself included because you couldn't move. Also at that point we were swimming directly into the sun. Made the next turn an it had thinned out pretty good and then I took a heel in the mouth pretty hard. A few seconds later I felt something crunchy in my mouth. No not sand, a piece of my tooth. Somebody has got a pretty good kick. No wonder you were in front of me. Got out on the beach for the second loop and I know I must have had the largest shit eating grin on my face. I had finished in just under 38 minutes, felt great and knew the second lap was not going to be a problem. The swim was the part I was most concerned about but it was by far the most enjoyable part of the day. The second lap was pretty uneventful and a lot less crowded. I got to the beach and it was crazy! A volunteer handed me a glass of water and I started making my was up the beach. I looked over and realized I had almost walked right past the wetsuit strippers. ( I would apoligize to Papson14 for being one of those deer-in-the headlight people he mentioned in his race report but he was in front of me anyway!) Got my wetsuit, a bar of soap, shampoo, conditioner, and luffa and headed of for a nice warm shower.
What would you do differently?:

Swimm lessons? I could be faster but this was a better time per 100 than my 1/2 IM so I'm happy.
Transition 1
  • 10m 32s
Comments:

Damn. More madness. Thru the shower into a hallway and shouting out numbers to volunteers. Got my bag and realized it was still a bit chilly. There were people getting dressed all over the place, outside and inside the tent. Found a empty seat towards the back and put on a long sleeve dry fit, and a cycling jersey, gloves socks and shoes and headed out. The volunteers were awesome! Heled with the bags, helped get my shirt on over my back, helped with sunscreen. And it was like that all day. Left the tent and waited in line to use the bathroom. Got my bike and went to get on. More crazyness. A narrow area and a ton of people trying to mount their bikes and swerving all over the place.

Put a small towel in my T1 bag, put on sunscreen before the swim, get further out before I mount my bike instead of trying to navigate thru all the other bikers.
Bike
  • 6h 21m 49s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.60 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a good ride for me. I got in aero right after I got on to front beach and got in a grove pretty quickly. Waved to my family as I passed our hotel and looked at my time and realized I was about :15 minutes ahead of my projected time. Set my timer to go off every 25 minutes to remind me to take in a gu. Had 2 the first time it went off and 1 every time after that. I took 2 bottles of Gatoraide endurance with carbopro in it and my aero was filled with water to take in at the start. The first 50 went by pretty fast. I stopped one on the side of the road to use the bathroom and I was a lot more discreet than others were. Some people just stopped on the sholder and let it fly. The last 62 were pretty tough. It seemed like time just stopped. I started hating my gu and eating power pars instead. My butt started hurting pretty bad and it was difficult to stay in aero. There were a few stretches where the roads sucked and it was like a yard sale. Whoever cleaned up those areas will never have to buy co2, tires, tubes, gels, water bottles, or endurolytes for the rest of their life. The out and back was the worst. You were jarred about every 10 feet and you knew you were going to have to so it again. I reached the 100 mile mark, only the second time ever, and stopped taking in any nutrition because I didn't want to feel bloated on the run. The last 6 miles were great because I knew I was definetly going to finish this race. I kept myself from looking at the time for the entire bike ride. I didn't want to be disappointed if I was slow or tempted to push harder than I should. When I got in and saw that I was under 8 hours I felt pretty confident that I would finish under 13 hours

I didn't log nearly enough miles to expect better. Only about 2000 miles in the last 2 years. I will spend more time in the saddle before the next one and I will push myself harder on my trainer
Transition 2
  • 06m 28s
Comments:

Not a bad T2 time. It was a pretty good distance between the dismount line and the changing tent. I should have left my shoes on the bike since I planned on changing socks anyway. It sucks trying to walk in bike shoes after riding 112 miles! Put on socks, socks, shoes, and tritop, hat and sunglasses. Got out and got sunscreen on may arms from a volunteer the hit the bathroom and off to the run.

Other than leaving the shoes on the bike and sunscreen in the morning nothing.
Run
  • 4h 49m 44s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

A damn good run for me. My marathon PR is 4:40:30 so I wsa pretty satisfied with my time. I felt pretty bloated on most of the run and had difficulty not getting sick. I tried to take just enough in in fluids to keep me going but not enough to put me over the edge of getting sick. I wish their was a way to see my splits because I think my first 3/4 of the run were on pace to break my PR. I could not believe how many volunteers and supporters were out on the course. We had a cheering crew for my tri team in front of Spinnakers and that crazy group around mile marker one from another local tri group that made my run. Ya'll had to see them. They were the ones with whips and chains and partying like crazy. My goal was to run between stations and walk to take in fluids. I stuck to that pretty well unless I felt like I might get sick. If that happened I stopped and walked for about a minute and then got back into it. I got a huge boost around mile 14 when I saw my family. I got a kiss from my wife and twim boys and saw the smiles on everyones faces and couldn't quit smiling myself. I saw several BT'ers on the course. Jasha, always with a smile on his face, Aimmee, who was very encouraging at the end, my training partner, Lisa, who kicked major butt, even with a cold! I saw Papson14 about mile 25.5 with his wife and his metal looking very happy. Man, you killed your goal! I ran past the Memphis Thunder tent and into the chute. I heard my name but no "You are an Ironman!" Oh well, there's always a next time. Did I just type that?

Maybe walk less the last 6 miles? Easy to say now but maybe I could have pushed a little harder. Always room for improvement, right?
Post race
Warm down:

Got my medal and shirt, hugged and kissed my wife and went to get a massage. My Dad had two ice cold Dos Equis with him for me but I couldn't drink them just yet. Went for a massage, got my bike and bags and went back to the hotel for a sit in the hot tub.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Where do I start? A 2-1/2 yr old son with a broken femur who spent 8 days in the hospital and another 6 weeks with a cast on. Dropping a hot water heater on my toes and loosing a week of training, A week of for a MRSA infection that put me in a hospital for surgery. A few colds, a minor surgery foy my wife, etc...

I could not have asked for a better 1st IM. I beat every projected time and goal I set for myself. I put a picture of my kids on my bike frame and 'No Regrets' on my bike tag. I wanted to give it my all and not look back and say what if. But guess what? I am saying what if. What if I trained more, what if I had gotten up and not hit the snooze button so many times, what if I had taken swim lessons, what if 'I had gotten of my computer and rode! (thanks Lisa) I can't wait to try and do better.

I will do it again. And I'm sure I'll question my performance again. But I had a damn good time and I smiled a lot and I have no regrets. Who's in for Cozumel in 2010?

Event comments:

My wife made the comment earlier in the week that she thought that triathletes have a bit of an air about them. She is a runner and agrees that a lot of runners do as well. I think her perception has changed after meeting so many of the cool BT'ers at the party and afterwards. This is the coolest support group anyone could ask for. I really enjoyed our Tuesday dinner with Chris, Chris, Jen, Melissa, and Rick as well as the early morning swims. You guys are awesome.

I am very glad I spent the extra money for a M-dot race. Everything was top notch. The volunteers were amazing. The expo area was good and the day after we got a paper with everyone's times, our certificates, and our photos were ready. Missed out on the video at the awards dinner. I hope I can still get one.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-01-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:22:56 | 3800 meters | 02m 11s / 100meters
Age Group: 282/351
Overall: 1674/2270
Performance: Good
Suit: Quintana Roo Sleeveless
Course: 2 loop rectangular
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 10:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
06:21:49 | 112 miles | 17.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 274/351
Overall: 1634/2270
Wind: Some with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:49:44 | 26.2 miles | 11m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 194/351
Overall: 1159/2270
Course: 2 out and backs
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2008-11-05 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Memphis, TN
Subject: Ironman Florida

2008-11-05 10:28 AM
in reply to: #1788845

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida
Great report. I thought about you guys on Sat, and told my wife that one day I wanted to be there. Your report was very good, detailed and inspiring. I want that feeling of crossing the finish line! Great job Bulldog!
2008-11-05 10:52 AM

User image

Elite
HURRICANE, Utah
It was so nice to meet you Jay and you had a wonderful race! Congrats
2008-11-05 11:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Great job, Jay! It was great to see you at the end of the run! You did awesome, broken zipper and all! Hope you are enjoying your rest and the time with the twins!
2008-11-05 11:52 AM

User image

Master
Pulaski TN
Awesome job Jay! It was great to get to hang out with you all week!! Way to go Ironman!
2008-11-05 1:17 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina

Congrats, Ironman!

Modesty in an IM? Blah!

Great job and glad you had a blast!

2008-11-05 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1789719

User image

Veteran
peoria, az
Way to go Jay!!! Who knew my training partner was so fast!! I was holding you back all year. Wanna sign up for 2010? Maybe Lane wont wuss out on us this time!!!
2008-11-05 4:38 PM
in reply to: #1790048

User image

Veteran
Memphis, TN

LisaF - 2008-11-05 3:00 PM Way to go Jay!!! Who knew my training partner was so fast!! I was holding you back all year. Wanna sign up for 2010? Maybe Lane wont wuss out on us this time!!!

Cozumel in 2010!  Get there a few days before but stay a week after.  You in?

2008-11-05 4:56 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Congratulations on an awesome race Jay! It was nice to meet you and your wife.
2008-11-05 6:57 PM

User image

Master
congrats, you're an Ironman.
2008-11-05 7:08 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin
Jay, it was an absolute pleasure meeting you.  Your race report was awesome, especially the grin after the first lap of the swim.  But that doesn't compare to the grin at mile 25.5.  You sir killed that race and forget the what if's, you rock.   Congrats on a great race.

2008-11-05 7:54 PM

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl

Somehow, I knew I wouldn't get theought this race report without getting slammed by Lisa.    Oh well, very deserving!!!  I was fine with not doing this Ironman with you guys...right up till the time that I turned on the computer to start following yours and her's progress.  I really do wish I could have been there with you guys!!!  Great job!  And yes, I am already scouting out my 2010 IM.  I was looking at Florida or IMAZ, but Cozumel sounds good too.  Dale says he isn't going to do it, but I say that Dale's doesn't have a choice!!!  He is in!!!

Great job Jay!

2008-11-06 6:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Great race especially overcoming all you did to get here. I've always enjoyed the picture of your twins.
2008-11-06 8:34 PM

Veteran
And all because we had our cool BT shirts! Congratulations.
Rhonda
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Florida Rss Feed