General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Haters Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2008-12-15 7:47 AM

User image

New user

ATL
Subject: Tri Haters

Okay, I recently decided that I want to be a triathlete by the time I'm 30 (almost 1 year away). I'm signed up for the Iron Girl Tri in Atlanta at the end of June 2009.  I have begun reading books and have digested many of the articles on BT (this site is great). I started running consistently a couple of weeks ago and had my first swimming lesson yesterday. I'm really excited about doing this. I've been telling anyone who will listen that I'm going to complete a triathlon. Here's the problem: While many are supportive and excited for me, several people are complete HATERS! Everything out of their mouth concerning my efforts is negative. I have received such comments as, "You can't do a triathlon. You can't even swim!" or, "YOU are going to do a tri? Ok. Ha ha!" It seems like some are even hoping for me to fail. I twisted my knee in dance class yesterday and a coworkers response today was, "I guess you're out of that triathlon (chuckle)!" And all this negativity for a SPRINT tri. I guess they're going to keel over and die if I tell them that I want to complete an Olympic or half Ironman in the next few years! What is with these people? Most of them aren't very active. If they want to sit around and be out of shape, that's their business! Why are they hating on my efforts to get into better shape and complete a challenge? The last time I checked, there wasn't a cutoff age to learn how to swim. And I'm starting early enough in my training that I should be able to swim, bike, and run my way to a sprint tri completion, right? I have 7 months! My question: How do you deal with these negative people?

Mai Yell

2008-12-15 7:55 AM
in reply to: #1854118

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA
Subject: RE: Tri Haters
There is your answer..... "Most of them aren't very active"

Water off a duck's back. Just let it roll.

Most people who are not active, want to pull everyone else down with them. Don't let them. Stand your ground!

A great quote from the re-play of 2008 Kona on Saturday says it all. For people not training for an Ironman, it all seems insane. For the people doing it, it seems perfectly normal.
2008-12-15 7:58 AM

User image

Falls Church, VA
Use the "haters" as motivation. You can do this - that's all you need to know. Good luck with your continued training and never give up!! You WILL complete a triathlon!
2008-12-15 7:59 AM

User image

Master
Woodbridge , Virginia
it is jealousy and fear most times all the time.... some people wish they had the determination and discipline to do a tri.. others are scared to leave there box of comfort...

i don't pay attention to them... i tell them to go home and drink there hater-ade..

Train hard and KICK !!!! is what i say.. Your support is right here on BT..

TRI HARD
2008-12-15 8:02 AM

User image

Master
syracuse

They are jealous.  period.

They are re-enforcing their decision to not reach out and try new things by bringing you down.  People don't like to see their peers rise above them, so they pull them back down.  The sad part is this is completely sub-consious and they dont even realize they are doing it, so dont take it personal. 

this is a good thing.  When you cross the finish line for the first time, it will taste much sweeter with the negativity you are facing. 

Use what they say to fuel you.

Stay positive, surround yourself by positive thought.  If they contineu to be negative, stop talking about it.  Nex time they say "no more tir, huh?!?"  So, "I guess not!"...tell them what they want to hear to shut them up.  You cannot convince them what you are doing is good or that you will be good at it.

You already know you can do it, that's all that matters.

stay strong!

2008-12-15 8:06 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

I've heard that if you have a single crab in a bucket he will eventually climb out but it you have several crabs in a bucket none of them will ever get out.  If one starts to climb out, the other crabs will pull him back down.

Surround yourself with people who can and who do.  This site is a good start. 

~Mike

2008-12-15 8:08 AM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay

Congrats on your decision Mai- You will never regret it and will have a great time in the process.  Your decision is challenging to your friends and co-workers because they know in their hearts that they should be doing something for themselves too.  And rather than doing it, it is easier to discourage you from going forward.  This will probably change for at least a few of them.  After it was clear that I would not be giving up on my training for my first tri several of my neighbors and co-workers started their own exercise plans.  Interestingly they all couldn't wait to tell me about it and get a little encouragement from me.  I was glad to be an inspiration- your day will come sooner than you think! 

There are lots of BTers in your area.  Check out Lisa B's blog, I believe she has done Iron Girl Atlanta and is in a local Tri club. (Don't be intimidated though-her training is WAY over the top and not where you need to be to finish your first race).  She is really great and could hook you up with like minded folks in your area for support and training

2008-12-15 8:18 AM

Regular
Eugene, Oregon
Ignore them or use their comments as motivation. They are just jealous as many mentioned or afraid of you and the wonderful progress you will make.

You could also think of it this way: Your healthy lifestyle may be a good example to others to begin to eat well, exercise, and do other good things for themselves.

You are just getting started it appears...focus on yourself, surround yourself with encouragement (workout buddy, here on BT), and try to tune out the distractions.

good luck

j
2008-12-15 8:28 AM

User image

Queen BTich

There are many reasons why they do this (all the answers above) but you should probably realize that your non-athlete friends really don't care and there really isn't any reason to tell them anything else about it unless they ask.

Its your thing and unless you want comments like that until the race, keep it to yourself.

AND make more real life tri friends.

2008-12-15 8:28 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pa

Negativity stinks.  X2 on everything said by the others.  Use it to motivate you.  I'm forced to be surrounded by some pretty negative people while at work.  I've managed to get 3 or 4 of them to look at themselves and their lifestyles and they have managed/managing to take small steps to make changes.  

I agree that it's jealousy and insecurity, along with other things, that cause them to be so negative about what you're trying to do.  They're probably secretely wishing they were doing what you're doing.

Keep it up!

2008-12-15 8:29 AM

User image

Expert
Greer, SC

The main reason I do tri's is to prove something to myself.  I want to see how far I can push myself, both mentally and physically.  It is just so easy to give up on things when they become hard.  Both training and racing are hard.  When you finish your first tri and look back at all the training you put in, it really means something to you.  Does anyone else care?  Who knows?  Who cares?  You know and that's what matters most.  Keep your focus on your long term goals, work hard and you will get there.  It sounds like you have the right positive attitude already.  Keep it up.  You have plenty of time to train.   

If it does matter what people think - ask them what they think after you finished your first race. 

2008-12-15 8:35 AM
in reply to: #1854149

Expert
Southeast
Rogillio - 2008-12-15 9:06 AM

I've heard that if you have a single crab in a bucket he will eventually climb out but it you have several crabs in a bucket none of them will ever get out.  If one starts to climb out, the other crabs will pull him back down.

More often, the crabs rip each other's legs off.  Laughing  (And maybe that's also a good metaphor...)

To OP:  Yes, 7 months is plenty of time to learn to swim a sprint distance.  Welcome to BT!  Use the naysayers as motivation.  Pity them.  Ignore them.  Whatever it takes.

2008-12-15 8:35 AM
in reply to: #1854185

Comet - 2008-12-15 9:28 AM

There are many reasons why they do this (all the answers above) but you should probably realize that your non-athlete friends really don't care and there really isn't any reason to tell them anything else about it unless they ask.

Its your thing and unless you want comments like that until the race, keep it to yourself.

AND make more real life tri friends.

Haley makes a good point, really. Most people think that we are crazy. Just plain and simple. Even if they admire our feats, even if they respond positively. They still think we're crazy. I generally don't offer up too much info unless they ask - if they continue to ask questions, I keep talking.

Other tri-friends are good for when you want to sit around and talk about gear and pacing and food, etc. And they will "get it" when you are having a hard time, or when you are particularly pleased, etc. 

I've been lucky not to have experienced any negativity from non-athletes, at least not since I've been racing tris. The impetus to get into tris was because I had athletic folks telling me I couldn't do it - but this was before I even decided to do one.  

2008-12-15 8:38 AM

User image

Expert
Florida
I agree with everyone else...
What you are doing is fantastic! My wife can't swim a lick, but she is thinking about taking some swim classes when i start my masters swim classes in a month-she isn't training but she never learned how to swim and wants to-shes 28, does that mean she is too old?? I guess someone should tell her....
The point is-what you are doing is fantastic and is a commitment to yourself, your mind and your body. Feel incredible everyday about the work YOU are putting in while they sit there all day-then go home and sit again-then repeat. Most people that look to put you down are just insecure with their own lives and goals, don't let their negativity drag you down-ever.
You stick with it and accomplish your goals!!!!!

Edited by BeginnerMan 2008-12-15 8:40 AM
2008-12-15 8:43 AM

User image

Deal with them in the same fashion as any negative people in your life. In one ear and out the other. You can even use their skepticism as fuel for your internal fire!!!

Matt Cazalas
Technical Writer

Network Cables

2008-12-15 8:43 AM

User image

Regular
Lilburn

Mai I will see you at Iron Girl in Atlanta!

I agree with the others...insecurity, jealousy, etc fuel the haters.  It will be great motivation as you train and race to prove them wrong.

2008-12-15 8:51 AM

User image

Master
Chicago

Welcome to BT.  I agree with what everybody else is saying.  Use the negativity for motivation and surround yourself with people who are positive and supportive.  The BT community is an excellent place to start.  You have plenty of time to learn to swim.  I could barely swim when I started, I took a few lessons and have gotten much better at it.  Be careful, once you start doing triathlons they become highly addictive, in a good way.  Good luck and welcome again to BT

Matt

2008-12-15 9:30 AM
in reply to: #1854149

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

~Mike

WOW!! That was pretty deep Mike! Almost like Confucious!

Mai, keep doing what you're doing. You can and will do whatever you put your mind to. I keep looking back just a few years when I couldn't run to the end of my road and back, which was only 1 mile each way. Just be consistent and have a great time training. The people you meet at the races and here on BT will pull you through any negative comments made by "non-tri folk"!!

Edited by rstocks3 2008-12-15 9:34 AM
2008-12-15 9:42 AM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
it's amusing that we're hating back on "non-tri" folk.
2008-12-15 10:03 AM
in reply to: #1854327

User image

Champion
Alabama
rstocks3 - 2008-12-15 9:30 AM

~Mike

WOW!! That was pretty deep Mike! Almost like Confucious!

Mai, keep doing what you're doing. You can and will do whatever you put your mind to. I keep looking back just a few years when I couldn't run to the end of my road and back, which was only 1 mile each way. Just be consistent and have a great time training. The people you meet at the races and here on BT will pull you through any negative comments made by "non-tri folk"!!

You are right grassahoppa.  When you runna to the end of road, you mussa come home again.

2008-12-15 10:24 AM

New user

DancerMAXS - 2008-12-15 5:47 AM

I'm really excited about doing this. I've been telling anyone who will listen that I'm going to complete a triathlon.

Thats also part of the problem right there.  There's a good chance that they don't want to hear about your tri exploits, and the hating is a way of getting back on you.  I understand it is easy to get excited about tris and all, but try and keep it to yourself unless asked, or with close friends and family.  Don't go sputing off to complete strangers, acquintances, or fellow workers that you really aren't friends with, just co workers that you are doing a tri, that your training schedule, is this, that you ran x miles this morning, etc...  They don't want to hear it.

Be proud of what you are doing, but be humbly proud, not obnoxiously proud.

2008-12-15 10:27 AM

User image

Coach
Boston, MA

I once was a ‘hater’ although at the time I didn’t know about or I was doing it on purpose. Years ago my then roommate and my best friend started training to run the Boston Marathon through a charity slot. At the same time I was in grad school and I was riding my party hard, party like a rock start train and I was very good at it. Anyway, my roommate and I will throw out crazy parties, go our every weekend, have lots of friends, etc.

When he began going to bed early on the weekends or keeping his drinking moderated (as any reasonable person would do, no me I was a party animal!) I began been a hater of his new hobby. I didn’t have anything specifically against he running or wanting to do a marathon, I have no doubts he could do it, etc I just couldn’t understand why would someone want to go to bed early, avoid partying all night with friends and ladies, to be up early in the AM and go running in the cold, snow, rain, etc. To me it was just dumb, stupid and a waste of time.

It was something foreign to me, it was weird to have my friend ditching me for running, and every time he would come back all proud about a 15-18-20 mile long run and been super excited about his accomplishment and progress I would shut him down. I was just not interested on hearing because I didn’t make any sense in my mind. Months forward he completed the marathon and while watching him in the race I was very proud if him, I couldn’t still clearly understand why he was doing it but I was happy he was. That day I stop drinking almost entirely and later I told him he inspired me to try to do something like that and a few months later I bought a bike and signed for my 1 tri.

It wasn’t until the 1st long run I completed that I finally got it. He chose to run a marathon for nothing more than he has his OWN reasons and now I was training to tri for mine. The point is that while people might hate your new goals they might not be doing it to put you down necessarily (some might), it is just that they simply don’t understand it. But don’t recent them, you are doing this for you not for them. Eventually they’ll get this is important for you and those who are friend worth having around will be proud of you no matter what, those who aren’t they’ll get lost in the process. Welcome and SUAT!

2008-12-15 10:33 AM
in reply to: #1854461

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY

Jorge - Well said ROCK STAR!!!

Rogillio - I am LMAO!!!!

2008-12-15 10:38 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga

First off, Welcome to BT!

You will find the Ga Forum very active: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/forum-view.asp?... someone says you can't do it, then just say watch.  If they say they can't do it ask them to join you.  Keep telling people because you are excited and that is a good thing.  Use that motivation.  You've got plenty of time.

When I first started swimming, I started in the whirlpool.  Then I progressed to the slow lane and up from there.  My first sprint race was a 400 m out and back swim.  I swam out and walked back.  YES...walked back.  Lucky for me it was chest deep water.  Now just a couple of years later I have done 2 IM races including an hour 2.4 mile swim.  You can do it just be smart and ask lots of questions.

Someone mentioned Lisa B.  She is a great resource and it very motivated.  You'll see her on the Ga Forum.

2008-12-15 10:50 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Locker room material! We all have someone dog us out for what we love to do. My example:

I remember a guy at my church said to me one time that he was looking on the net at the results of my tri and he said quote" I looked and looked and kept looking down the list and finally came to your name and I thought, why bother?"  chuckle chuckle HAR HAR HAR! My reply was to ask hom what his fat azz did yesterday ( I know, it was a church friend, but I ain't perfect)

I still use that to drive and push me on my workouts to this day!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Tri Haters Rss Feed  

of 2