General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2009-04-23 10:14 AM
in reply to: #1879718

User image

New user

Cleveland, OH
Subject: RE: Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon : Official Thread
I wish I had found this website, and more specifically, this forum before the MU Tri!!  I did this one as my very first and only knew one other person competing.  It would have been nice to chat with you all beforehand and then have some friendly faces race day since I was a nervous wreck!

2009-04-23 11:42 AM
in reply to: #2105223

User image

Master
Ohio
tipadit - 2009-04-23 11:14 AM I wish I had found this website, and more specifically, this forum before the MU Tri!!  I did this one as my very first and only knew one other person competing.  It would have been nice to chat with you all beforehand and then have some friendly faces race day since I was a nervous wreck!

Welcome! how'd you do?
2009-04-23 11:56 AM

User image

Expert
Columbus
tipadit - 2009-04-23 11:14 AM I wish I had found this website, and more specifically, this forum before the MU Tri!!  I did this one as my very first and only knew one other person competing.  It would have been nice to chat with you all beforehand and then have some friendly faces race day since I was a nervous wreck!

This is a great community.  And I have found it to be a great resource.

Welcome!!!!
2009-04-23 12:27 PM

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
Welcome aboard!!!  While we missed ya for your first tri, now you'll know where we are for your subsequent ones.

Yeah, how'd you do?
2009-04-23 8:00 PM

Veteran
Cincinnati, OH
Welcome, welcome!  We missed you this time.  What are you doing next?  I'll be in the Rudy Project Sprint and probably cheering on a friend at Tri for Joe.
2009-04-23 9:20 PM

Oxford
Does anyone know a phone number for people at HFP? I've tried to reach them via their "e-mail us your phone number and we'll call you" all week, but have yet to hear from them. Screwing up times is one thing, and it happens, but the customer service has been awful. It is really too bad, because this is a great event. Thanks for anyone who has a phone # out there.

2009-04-24 8:25 AM

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

Just an FYI.  HFP didn't have any better luck last year at the Spirit of Racine Sprint with the old timing mat company.  No transistion or bike splits at all for the entire race.  No explaination on the website.  Nothing.

Now I see this one.

Got to be honest, I've now done 11 races and they are the only ones I've heard of that have had THIS much issue with timing mats.

Doubt I will be doing many more HFP races if this is their trend.

2009-04-24 9:45 AM
in reply to: #2107478

User image

Champion
ok, i have worked for HFP in thepast, and race for them, and i feel the need tosay this:

1) HFP does not do the timing, the timing company does. they are responable for hiring them, and it looks like they made a bad choice, but you need tocall the timing company for timing issues.

2) the timing issues with the blue wave sprint in racing came from a kid that was there running around and unplugging things and tyring to take the extention cords (he also unplugged our generator and we l;ost about half the food we had there).

3) last year i raced 5 diffcompanies races and there were some timing issues or another at all of them.

4) last year HFP did NOT have timing issues with races, full times and splits were up the next day for all races.
2009-04-24 11:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Oxford

Well,  I know that they subcontract the timing work to other companies like speedy-feet, but still, HFP is the client facing entity, and ultimately they are responsible for the communication with the consumer.   

I know that sometimes errors happen with data collection... I work in marketing research, and I have had my fair share of data collection problems, but the key is being transparent with the clients (in this case participants), and keeping communication open.  I think that noone is really expecting HFP to magically pull that data out of mid air, but we are expecing to know that they are

It is called Customer Service, and HFP is showing to be incompetent at it.

2009-04-24 12:27 PM
in reply to: #2108016

User image

Champion
that was more directed at the other poster saying HFP always has timing issues.

but for the most part i agree, customer service is never fast with them.

i am starting to realize the more i work in the bike/tri industry and the more i race, that is something lacking very much in all aspects of it, return phone calls, emails, etc, are HORRIBLE. i have noticed this across the board, with bike shops being the absolute worst.
2009-04-25 9:48 AM

User image

New user

Cleveland, OH
Thank you for the welcome My goal was to go around 1:45 and I came in at 1:42.10 so I was pretty happy about it.  I was one of the lucky ones to have missing split times ... booooo!  I forgot to set my watch since I was so nervous haha, but that just means I'll have to do another one to get all those times!

2009-04-25 2:30 PM

User image

Expert
Columbus
great job tipadt.

does anyone know if there was a race photographer or race photos on line? 
2009-04-25 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2109945

User image

Veteran
Oxford
bruehoyt - 2009-04-25 3:30 PM great job tipadt.

There was, but the camera broke and none of the pictures came out ok.... 
2009-04-25 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2110001

User image

Expert
Columbus
BubbaK - 2009-04-25 4:12 PM
bruehoyt - 2009-04-25 3:30 PM great job tipadt.

There was, but the camera broke and none of the pictures came out ok.... 

funny!
2009-04-25 3:50 PM
in reply to: #2108166

User image

Champion
Southern Chicago Suburbs, IL

newbz - 2009-04-24 12:27 PM that was more directed at the other poster saying HFP always has timing issues. but for the most part i agree, customer service is never fast with them. i am starting to realize the more i work in the bike/tri industry and the more i race, that is something lacking very much in all aspects of it, return phone calls, emails, etc, are HORRIBLE. i have noticed this across the board, with bike shops being the absolute worst.

Didn't mean to imply they always had timing issues.  Just talking about my experience with them and relating.

That being said, they do have some client service issues.  Which appears to be quite true based on your and other comments.  Could be that they have grown too big and too fast to keep up with all of the requests/questions.  If that is the case, then they need to set the expectation up front as to when someone will get back to the person with the inquiry. 

Oh, and thanks for the info on the Sprint in Racine last year.  NEVER heard any of that.  Ever. Least they could have done was put an apology on the website, which they never did.

Thanks again for the info, though.  It really does explain quite a bit.

2009-04-26 7:56 PM

User image

Master
Ohio
More on HFP customer service: But let me just say, the timing issues not-withstanding- I think HFP puts on great races. Their customer service is very lacking.
Last year my wife raced the Maumee Bay tri. Late Sunday night after the race we were riding through the park and came accross some cones and a mile marker #2 sign they had left behind. We picked them up and took them to the beach where the transition area was but everyone from the race company had already left. We brought thme home with us and I e mailed the company.
No response.
I e mailed them again.
No response.
The third time I e mailed them I asked if I should dispose of the cones and sign if they did not want them. I finally recieved an e mail asking if I was doing any other races with them this year and could I just bring it then.
Not even a thank you for finding the cones and sign. When I dropped them off they asked me to carry them to the set up area. Again not even a thank you.
This from someone who was returning their property. You really think they are concerned about getting back to the athletes about timing issues?

2009-04-26 8:15 PM
in reply to: #2111562

User image

Um... I'm pretty sure there is a letter from Shannon Kurek and Jeff Coudron to everyone who participated in the race. They admitted fault and said they're doing everything to fix the problem for next time. What else do they need to do to satisfy you? Posting about the timing issues 20 times isn't doing anything. They messed up. Also, Speedy-Feet is an up and coming timing company. This was their first big triathlon (as posted before) and the first race of the season. More than likely there were going to be some issues, and there were. Give Jeff Coudron a chance to fix the problem. If it happens a second time.... well then we should really start getting concerned. So, yes, they are concerned. If they weren't concerned they would not have posted a letter to all the participants, admitting their mistake.

Also know that I race for Team HFP so I am biased. Be patient fellas.
2009-04-26 9:17 PM
in reply to: #2111601

User image

Expert
Columbus
beavertriathlon - 2009-04-26 9:15 PM Um... I'm pretty sure there is a letter from Shannon Kurek and Jeff Coudron to everyone who participated in the race. They admitted fault and said they're doing everything to fix the problem for next time. What else do they need to do to satisfy you? Posting about the timing issues 20 times isn't doing anything. They messed up. Also, Speedy-Feet is an up and coming timing company. This was their first big triathlon (as posted before) and the first race of the season. More than likely there were going to be some issues, and there were. Give Jeff Coudron a chance to fix the problem. If it happens a second time.... well then we should really start getting concerned. So, yes, they are concerned. If they weren't concerned they would not have posted a letter to all the participants, admitting their mistake. Also know that I race for Team HFP so I am biased. Be patient fellas.

I'm pretty sure David was responding to a previous post about HFP's lack of returning emails.
The tone was sarcasm - if they don't respond to an email to help themselves - why would they respond to one to help someone else?

And yes. everyone is aware that if you go to hfp and try to open the pdf for splits - you instead get a letter from Speedy. -(one would think hfp would contain a link to the partial results somewhere but it doesn't.  it is just assumed you will find those on your own)

That doesn't alleviate them from responding to emails.  I emailed them asking about 3 issues besides the timing over a week ago.  No response.

2009-04-26 11:05 PM
in reply to: #2111770

User image

2009-04-27 7:06 AM
in reply to: #2111951

User image

Master
Loveland, Ohio
beavertriathlon - 2009-04-27 12:05 AM http://miamiuniversitytriatlon.shutterfly.com/17pictures from the race. Enjoy

Cool.  Thanks!  Here's one of us BTers gabbing. 
http://miamiuniversitytriatlon.shutterfly.com/1738
2009-04-27 4:59 PM
in reply to: #2112153

User image

Expert
Columbus
Lora109 - 2009-04-27 8:06 AM
beavertriathlon - 2009-04-27 12:05 AM http://miamiuniversitytriatlon.shutterfly.com/17pictures from the race. Enjoy

Cool.  Thanks!  Here's one of us BTers gabbing. 
http://miamiuniversitytriatlon.shutterfly.com/1738

whoops - just realized i have lora's old user name in ther in a random place.

2009-04-28 7:30 AM
in reply to: #2113857

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

I just tuned in and was surprised to see all the talk on some poor timing and poor customer service.

My two cents (maybe more like 50 cents):  This is not new to HFP. They regularly have error in the results (though this time the issue seems to be huge).  They NEVER care about fixing it.  They ALWAYS preach to participants that "what is really important is you know how you competed and you know your result".  They gave that song and dance to my 9 year old son Max who, after traveling with the family 120 mile the the Akron kids race, gave him the 3rd place age group trophy when he was 2nd due to a time goof.  All the kids times were trash. Absolutely no rhyme or reason to any of the times.  The older girl that finished 1 second ahead of Max had a time of 15 seconds slower.  They also cheated the kids out of the advertised overall awards.  They attitude through the whole thing was "Lighten up parents! This is just supposed to be for fun" (a lot of parents were giving them hell".

I also wrote Shannon K. a letter about some problems in another race 1.5 years ago.  The tone of my letter was very polite and presumed that Shannon was unaware of some problems that were not being resolved by emails. He never responded to my letter and the problems were never resolved.

I look forward to when HFP "get's it".  To "Get it" is to take full ownership and understanding that it is your duty to provide the best service possible from start to finish (advertising a race to answering questions on timing).

Experiment for everyone:  Call or email Jeff Sheard of UltraFit.  90% of the time you'll hear from him within 15 minutes.  UltraFit DOES NOT get everything correct.  THEY DO care about what we thing though.  And as I result they get a lot right and continually improve.

HFP is benefitial to the racing community.  Let's make not mistake about that (especially for you folks that want more then a Sprint event).  But as paying competitors, let us politely require all our race directors to hold up there end of the bargain, to treat us with respect, and stop passing the buck on races they own to the timing subcontractors they choose.

2009-04-30 11:40 PM
in reply to: #2114790

User image

The results changed again... ( http://www.hfpracing.com/images/stories/09_results/09_musf_overall3... ). I moved from 9th overall to 6th overall. I also noticed that some other people in the top ten moved around.
2009-05-01 7:07 AM

User image

Veteran
Oxford
Yeah....   Some puzzling things.   I moved down two spots, though my time gained 3 seconds.  They did pay attention to my email in which I informed them that my gender is Male and not Female, and they changed that.  However, they ignored my previous email in which I told them I was 36 years old, and I am now listed in the 14 and under group....

I'd like to think that things are getting better over there, but it seems like they are just moving sideways with their heads still firmly stuck up there...
2009-05-01 8:45 AM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
I tried not to get all worked up about the lost splits but this is getting silly. I suddenly got 45 sec faster but still finished in the same position. Really speedy feet - just leave alone - it is a royal screw up- stop trying to put humpty dumpty together cause he would just look like a freak
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Miami University Student Foundation Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 15