General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon before an IM Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-01-04 6:34 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: Marathon before an IM

I know this question has been brought up before, but I am still on the fence and I really need to figure this out.

I am not a very good runner.  I have completed one half marathon(May 2007) and one HIM (July 2008).   The HIM went very well, but my run was very slow.  I have read countless IM training books written by just about everyone, read articles and picked my own brain.

I am signed up for IM WI on Sept 13th.  I am without a doubt doing a half marathon on May 17th; however, part of me thinks I should be doing a marathon that day instead.

I know there is a higher risk for injury if I run the longer race and there will be more recovery.  I will have to alter my training schedule more to get in the longer runs in the early season.  I also know that there is a mental benefit as well as just feeling how long that distance really is.  I have a lot of mental toughness but I really can't imagine what 26.2 miles feels like.  I know that running a stand alone marathon is not the same as an Ironman mary, but I have also read a few places that the run holds more importance than many people realize when it comes to IM.

I need advice.  Remember I am not a good runner.  Do I do the full and just deal with the training changes and recovery that is going to take place afterwards?  The race is in May and Ironman is in September.  My HIM is scheduled in the middle of July.  Or do I really not need to put my body through that?

Please please please... I will listen to any advice anyone has.  But this is very important to me.  I want to do everything I can to be ready for IM in September.  Thanks!!!

2009-01-04 6:42 PM
in reply to: #1885761

User image

Veteran
Chicago, IL
Subject: RE: Marathon before an IM

Pam- I plan on doing IMOO in 2010...2008 training did not go as well as planned, so I am waiting one more year to build more volume.  That being said, I had the same marathon pre-IM question.

I did the Chicago Marathon this past fall so I would know how one would feel during the IM. The last 6 miles, I just kept on saying "no matter how bad I feel now, it will feel 10x worse during the IM, so just keep going".

My body also needed 1 month of no running post marathon to recover....

My vote--- albeit from someone who has yet to do a IM---is to stick to your gameplan of HM, HIM, then bear down during IMOO. (I wish I would have just signed up for the IM)

Finally--I'll be sure to wave and cheer loud at IMOO for you...I am volunteering at the Cross Plaines bike station again.

Lynn

2009-01-04 6:44 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

Thanks Lynn,

I am not exactly sure where that bike station is but when I do find out I will be looking out for any friendly faces I can see!

Thank you for volunteering!  And good luck with your future IM! 

2009-01-04 7:16 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

1). Slow is relative.  You didn't post your running times which would help a little.

2). Have you ever trained with an HR monitor before?  Do you have one?  It's a VERY helpful tool.

3). Do you have a training plan to help you?

4). Had a footstrike analysis done to assist with proper running shoes?  Check out Endurance House out of Middleton.

5). You don't HAVE to do the Mary before an Ironman, some people haven't, and did okay (not necessarily recommending nor deterring, just informing).

5). What's more important is having fun for your first IM, don't overtrain, but put the time in so you can survive and enjoy the day!

6). The IM Moo (IM WI) official thread is here - http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=140830&posts=82#M1885807  -
if you have questions specifically about that race, but not specific to training (just an F.Y.I.)

I will be doing IM Moo this year (my 2nd).  There's a BIG group of us from a group called the Tri Donkai doing it (most of the members are near the Milwaukee area).  BT member Jszat started it.

Good luck.

2009-01-04 7:23 PM

User image

Master

No reason to do a full prior to an IM.  A full marathon and an IM marathon are two different beasts.  And the lost training time recovering from a marathon is not worth it as you are committed to an IM.

Your swim time from your HIM looks fine.  To me, your bike and run will need more speed to get you to the bike cutoff and finish line (meaning, while you are focusing on your running, it's your biking that needs equal if not more work).

You didn't say what training plan (or coach) you plan to use.  There are really good coaches (like Mike Plumb at tripower.org that don't cost too much) and then there are the BT plans.  I don't think there is enough running in the BT plans but I'll let Mike Ricci answer to that.  You could start now with some BT plans and do a run focus plan, then bike focus, then start the Ironman plan.  PM Mike Ricci - I'm sure he will answer.

Finally, one last piece of advice.  You said " I really can't imagine what 26.2 miles feels like".  That's not how you do an IM.  One of the best pieces of advice I got was to focus on the sport you are doing.  I focused on just the swim when I was swimming.  I didn't think about the bike or run.  Then I thought about the bike when I was biking.  Then when I was running, I thought about getting to the next aid station.  Do not think distance during the marathon.

You have plenty of time.  Relax and enjoy the training.  And good luck.

2009-01-04 7:46 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
In my opinion May 17th is too close to IM WIS. I'm doing IM WIS also and doing the National Marathon Mar 21st.

My hope is that I'll have a good run base and I'll be ready to hit the bike when the weather starts getting a little nicer.

2009-01-04 7:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Arnhem
I did a marathon a year before my IM and was happy I did because When it got tough in the run I knew that a lot was still to come. But would I have run worse in the IM without having done a marathon? Not sure.
Anyways, your IM is in September, so if I was you I would certainly not do a marathon in May. It took me months to get my running legs back after the marathon. The positive is much less than the negative, no doubt.

Good luck
2009-01-04 8:01 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

To answer a few questions... first... my training plan that I am planning on using is the 36 week trifuel plan.  Here is the site. http://www.trifuel.com/triathlon/ironman-workouts/

I am using it because I believe it will suit my needs best.  It does use HR training and I will be using one during training.

I am more concerned about the running than the biking.  I have made some upgrades bikewise that are making me stronger and more efficient biker.   I am also planning on adding a few bike rides/races into my schedule.

As for the running, I have battled some IT band issues in the past (I have successfully handled them for over a year).  My "easy, I could run for a very long time pace" tends to be around 10:20 min/miles for 3 to 5 miles.  During the HIM race, my pace was 14:42 min/miles.  The pace was much closer to 11:00 for the first 8 and went down hill from there.  I did not put in enough time on the roads before that race. 

Thank you again for all the help and please let me know if there are any more questions! 

2009-01-04 8:09 PM

User image

Champion
MA

^^^ what Jonathan said is spot on

I am similar to you pace wise from looking at your HIM but you are a faster swimmer, I may slightly faster cyclist, and running is hard for us. Based on your HIM time the swim and bike cut offs seem you'll make it no problem.

Don't do a Mary in May it will take 4 weeks out of prime training time for your first IM with a taper and recovery from Mary. Plus why peak your running at 26.2 miles 4 months from your IM? It would have been something else if you did a Mary in late '08.

My suggestion is to work on improving your run resiliency. My goal this year for my IM is to do more running. I'm up to running about 17-19 miles a week now and gradually building that up.

Enjoy your IM journey, I spent way to much time worrying and wondering if I could do it. Put the training in, be wise in your training and have fun.

2009-01-04 8:21 PM

User image

What they said ^^^^^^^

Haven't done a mary, but I did a couple 20 milers in prep for my IM.  As Jonathan said, the IM mary and a stand alone mary are two very different things.  In my experience only, the 20 milers didn't give me any insight into what it's like to be on mile 12 of an IM mary after 9 hours of racing........

And to reiterate.   For BOP runners like me, the IM mary is a series of 26 1 mile runs. 

Edited by ChrisM 2009-01-04 8:21 PM
2009-01-04 8:21 PM

User image

Elite
You really HAVE to focus on the bike.  I know you are afraid of the run, so was I.  But if you don't make the cut-off on the bike the running issue is moot.  If you can have a decent bike and come off feeling decent you can walk every step of the 26.2 miles and still call yourself an Ironman.  I would NOT do a marathon in May.  You will lose way too much training time due to recovery.  Just come down to New Prage in May abd do the half marathon with me

2009-01-04 8:42 PM
in reply to: #1885924

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin

mndiver - 2009-01-04 8:21 PM You really HAVE to focus on the bike. I know you are afraid of the run, so was I. But if you don't make the cut-off on the bike the running issue is moot. If you can have a decent bike and come off feeling decent you can walk every step of the 26.2 miles and still call yourself an Ironman. I would NOT do a marathon in May. You will lose way too much training time due to recovery. Just come down to New Prage in May abd do the half marathon with me

Haha... why don't you come over to Green Bay and do Cellcom with me?  Thanks for the advice.

Actually thanks to everyone.  The decision looks pretty clear now. 

2009-01-04 10:17 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-01-04 11:53 PM
in reply to: #1885895

Master
Bellevue, WA
crea0029 - 2009-01-04 6:01 PM

As for the running, I have battled some IT band issues in the past (I have successfully handled them for over a year).  My "easy, I could run for a very long time pace" tends to be around 10:20 min/miles for 3 to 5 miles.  During the HIM race, my pace was 14:42 min/miles.  The pace was much closer to 11:00 for the first 8 and went down hill from there.  I did not put in enough time on the roads before that race. 

Thank you again for all the help and please let me know if there are any more questions! 

You don't need to race a full marathon before you do your Ironman. As everyone has said, the time is too short and the risk for injury is too high. You're just not going to turn yourself into a great runner in that short of time.

But really your question about running a full marathon was a means to an end, I think - but what end? What's the real issue? Is it just speed (and marathon training would hopefully make you faster) or is it confidence in the distance (and a marathon finish would give that).

I think that's what you really need to ask yourself.

I'm going to guess it's a combination of both, and my prescription (other than more cowbell) is more running than most IM plans contain. You'll only know if you've really solved your IT band issues if you have regular long runs >12 miles. And IMHO your training plan should get you up to 16 mile long runs minimum. And consistency. Run training is all about consistency and slow steady increases. You cannot fake it or shortcut it. There are no miracles on race day.

Edited by brucemorgan 2009-01-04 11:54 PM
2009-01-05 12:48 AM

Expert
Portland, OR
I'll weigh in here as someone whose more of a BOP'er and has almost identical running speeds to yours.

I've done 2 IMs and 2 marathons.

Prior to my first Ironman I'd never run further than 16 miles. Yep that's right 16 miles. For me at my speed that was a little more than 3 hour long run. I've had some knee issues in the past and I knew that ultimately the wear on my knees was just going to be too much going into peak IM training.

Yes, there may have been a confidence boost from knowing I could run a marathon but look around at any Ironman and you'll see hundreds of awesome runners reduced to a walk for a myriad of reasons. I made it my plan and my goal to walk because it was part of my interval strategy not for any nutritional or fatigue reason.

Guess what, it worked and this year in IM #2 I actually ran the last 5 miles of the marathon almost 2 min per mile faster than the rest of the race.

Train hard, take super good care of your body (stretch, ice, massage, get good sleep, take recovery seriously) and have fun!

It was a beautiful and mystical experience to run past that 16 mile marker into the sunset knowing that each step I took was one further than I'd ever gone before and one closer to that finish line
2009-01-05 10:49 AM

Extreme Veteran
McHenry, IL

For me it's a question of "need" versus "want".  Do you really want to do the marathon, or are you just wondering if doing the marathon will help you come IM day?

There is no reason you need to do a full marathon before your IM.

But, if the marathon is something you really want to do, I say, do it.  One benefit that will come of it is it will force you to focus on run training early in the season, when the weather is fine for lots of running, but not so great for outdoor riding.  There is plenty of time to recover in the latter part of May before your training really starts to dial up for the IM.  It's not an ideal plan from an IM purist point of view, but it's definitely a workable plan.

If you're thinking of doing the marathon just because you think it will help you in your IM, then don't do it.  Trust your IM training plan.  It will get you there.

2009-01-05 12:13 PM

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Everyone else has already answered in depth.  I'll just be simple about it ........

NO.

Don't do it.  Follow your plan, enjoy the journey and pace well on the bike or you will not even be running the marathon portion in the first place - you'll be walking it.

2009-01-05 3:00 PM
in reply to: #1886950

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Daremo - 2009-01-05 11:13 AM

Everyone else has already answered in depth.  I'll just be simple about it ........

NO.

Don't do it.  Follow your plan, enjoy the journey and pace well on the bike or you will not even be running the marathon portion in the first place - you'll be walking it.

x2

... and one other point: Many first-time IMers, especially if the run is a concern, will end up walking for at least part of it. Walking is different from running, so do some walking during your training. Whether you work it in as part of a walk-run program or just go for some long walks, train for the race you will actually be doing. Get your bike and run miles in, but do a little walking too. Good luck and have fun!
2009-01-06 3:51 PM

Expert
Newton, MA

What's more important to you, the mary or the IM?

My first marathon was the IM run. I did a 4:24 which I think is very respectable. I love to run though and I'm sure my stand alone time would have been much faster. The reason I know this is because I am a lousy cyclist and it took a lot out of me, even as slow as I went (7:00 even.) Ride, ride more and then ride again and the run will take care of itself.

2009-01-11 11:30 PM

Champion
Dallas, TX
I'm not a good runner. In fact, I do more speed walking than running when I go over 4 miles.

Before my IM I had not done a marathon. The risk of injury (which I'm prone to getting injuries) wasn't worth it.

In training, I only went up to 16 miles. Again, my coach did not want to risk me getting injured. So my focus was to have a strong bike so I would feel good when I started the run.

The first 13 miles of the marathon were hard, but I was good. Even though I had to walk the whole way due to my Achilles tendons that started hurting at mile 80 on the bike.

The last 13 miles of that marathon were mental. I had to talk myself through it. "Stay positive." "It's all about attitude." "Keep going." It was hard. Real hard. I sat down like 3 times in the last 3 miles, I was hurting so bad.

But I finished in 15:45. I had 1:15 left to spare.

You are better served NOT doing that marathon in May if you are not a strong runner. That's just my opinion. If you talked to a coach, they would probably say the same thing.

Stick to your training plan. Don't worry about the marathon on race day at the IM. You will do it. Have it in your head to stay positive. Know that you will keep your body moving forward even when you feel like you don't want to.

Edited by KSH 2009-01-11 11:32 PM
2009-01-14 11:23 AM

Elite
Alturas, California
I am doing my first full mary this Sunday 1/18/09 and have my first full IM 8/1/09. I am hoping this is long enough between events, but ya the Mary will take 4-5 weeks out of my training schedule, but then I am still 28 or whatever weeks out from the IM, so there is a little wiggle room. I may just take the mary at an easier pace to enjoy the experience and not kill myself with it.

I would not even consider doing a Mary closer than this to a full IM this early in my/our race experience. The folks who have massive vollume, run faster and have been in the sport for years can get away with it, but us relative newbs, I don't think it would be wise.

2009-01-17 11:24 AM

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Well after much consideration, I decided not to do the full marathon, just the half.  I do not need to put my body through that much running this early on in my training and if that was my A race of the season, that is different.  However, my A race is Ironman WI and every decision needs to be tailored to that.  Thanks for everyones help!
2009-01-17 11:30 AM
in reply to: #1913796

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Marathon before an IM Rss Feed