General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Don't Let the Runner go by... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-03-22 10:37 PM

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
Subject: Don't Let the Runner go by...

So as not to hijack the other thread or but bummer info in such a positive post ...

I have a few bones about the way others act on multi-use trails.  After several spots along the trail are signs that lay out the rules, walkers/runners have 1st right of way, then bikers, then horses.

Keep all dogs on a leash, keep to the right.

So, I stayed out of the other threads on COJ about dogs, dog owners, and length of leashes and whether the dogs are under control or not.  I'm not so sure an owner is in control of a dog on a 36' leash, and many times on just a 6' leash.

I'm out running Saturday on a trail around a lake and not once but twice about got tripped up by a dog on a leash.  The trail is about 6 - 8 foot wide, so anyhow I'm running along, staying to the right and this couple is coming toward me with a dog on about a 6' leash.  But they would not reign in their dog and he was able to run across the full width of the trail and he nearly tripped me up and got his leash wrapped around me feet.

The owners kinda gave me this look like what was wrong with me, am I some sort of animal hater or something ... and how dare I almost run into their dog ... as though I should have stopped running and moved over into the ditch just so their dog could dart acorss the path.

Same thing happened again but this time I was coming up on a family ... I'll give them the benefit that perhaps they didn't hear me or know I was coming up on them ... but they still should not have been letting their dog dart back and forth across the trail.

They HAVE to know that runners and bikers are everywhere on this trail ... the runners and bikers outnumber walkers on this trail at least 4 to 1 or even 5 to 1 ... and it was very busy this weekend so it's not like they didn't know a runner or biker could possible be coming up from behind them.

2009-03-23 7:29 AM
in reply to: #2033727

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
Subject: RE: Don't Let the Runner go by...

That's another benefit to running with a dog -- all the other dog owners reel in their leashes when they see us coming.  And I'm usually breathing so hard they can't help but hear us.   My Moose is part pit bull so that may have something to do with it

But I agree, the wide multi-use paved trails are hazardous obstacle courses for bikers and runners, especially as the weather improves.  I try to avoid them spring thru fall.

2009-03-23 8:54 AM

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
First off, 6-8' isn't wide enough for a real multi-use trail so you can take that up with your local government. Further, if they made it out of concrete vs. asphalt they are recreation idiots.

Our "bike path" is 12-14' wide of perfect seemless asphalt for 100 miles or so. Legally, it's a "multi-use trail". Having said that, when running/walking on it, I NEVER let my dog cross the center line. I have no idea if a road bike is coming from behind me at 30 mph and for the safety of everyone including my dog, fast movers must be assured they can pass safely. IMO, that should be a hard rule on all multi-use trails.

I also think EVERYONE should be on the right under all circumstances. Running/walking on the left like most do on roads isn't applicable on trails and it is dangerous.
2009-03-23 9:16 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Flexileashes are awful. It's asking the dog to walk you, rather than vice versa. IMHO, the dog's collar should never be more than a step away from arm's reach. When we walk, the dog's leash is clipped to my belt, leaving my hands free to pick up poop. When we run, the leash is wrapped around my hand, keeping the puppy's shoulder even with my knees.

I run and walk the dog almost exclusively on sidewalks, and I/we always give other users of the sidewalk a wide berth. I just don't trust other dogs or their owners, and I don't want to disturb their enjoyment of the fresh air with my panting and gasping.

2009-03-23 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2034100

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

breckview - 2009-03-23 8:54 AM First off, 6-8' isn't wide enough for a real multi-use trail so you can take that up with your local government. Further, if they made it out of concrete vs. asphalt they are recreation idiots. Our "bike path" is 12-14' wide of perfect seemless asphalt for 100 miles or so.

Not everyone can be so lucky! Our "multi use trail" is about 4 feet wide and runs maybe 8 miles total. You work with what you've got. And I wish it were as easy as "taking it up with my local government" - LOL!! Oh how I wish.

I've yet to have any issues with dog owners and leashes on our trail - I think they realize how narrow it is and when they see a runner they move completely off the path with the dog and wait for me to pass. I would never attempt to ride on this trail, though I do see people doing it occasionally.

2009-03-23 9:46 AM

I've never had problems running, since you can always just go around people, or hop onto the grass. It's more of an issue with cycling. I was running yesterday, and there was some woman letting her just-able-to-walk baby toddle all over the trail. God forbid if a cyclist came by. The speed limit is technically 15 mph on the trail and sure, tons of folks go faster (I do, when I am able) and perhaps they should be careful, but even a bike going 15 or under would be enough to seriously injure the child. Some things are best done at home in your driveway, not on the multi-use trail on the first nice day.

2009-03-23 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2034195

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
lisac957 - 2009-03-23 8:42 AM
Not everyone can be so lucky!

Lucky yes. But downsides also. Here was our bike path late last May which was a huge snow year. Should be better this year as our snow has been very low. BTW, that's not me. It's just a photo from our paper.
2009-03-23 10:29 AM
in reply to: #2034148

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
mrheathen - 2009-03-23 8:16 AM

Flexileashes are awful.

Definitely. Well trained dogs know what length leash they are on and know that's the freedom they've been given in that case.
2009-03-23 10:52 AM

User image

Master
Houston, TX
Never bothers me, I just never minded hopping over a dog or leash.. it should but it doesn't. I only have one gripe and that's slow joggers/walkers on the inside lane of the track. If they have headphones on too, the thought of murder usually enters my brain atleast once.

2009-03-23 11:01 AM
in reply to: #2034326

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina

breckview - 2009-03-23 11:26 AM
lisac957 - 2009-03-23 8:42 AM Not everyone can be so lucky!
Lucky yes. But downsides also. Here was our bike path late last May which was a huge snow year. Should be better this year as our snow has been very low. BTW, that's not me. It's just a photo from our paper.

Wow!

That is nice!  I only wish we had something like that around here...

2009-03-23 11:08 AM
in reply to: #2034424

User image

Lafayette, CO
klowman - 2009-03-23 11:01 AM

Wow!

Oh yeah, Colorado mountain bike, sorry multi-use, trails are heavenly for many reasons including their width, material, striping, maintenance and signage.  Whenever I head up for a ride there I'm hugely jealous (not to mention the views!).  Here's a pic of me that gives a better view up the trail.  This is between Frisco and Copper Mountain last September.

2009-03-23 11:40 AM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England

It's not just dog owners it's just a certain type of person

As a dog owner (and I run with my dog on a leash and get very annoyed when others (unlawfully here) are off leash and interfere with my run when I pass them (as the dogs lunge - playfully or not at my dog))

We have a canal towpath here, multiuse and not particularly wide but families think it is ok to walk 3 abreast filling up the entire path.  I always shout when I am coming up from behind at a run "coming through with a dog" as I don't want to startle them.  Most are fine to move but some of them  give me really dirty looks and I have to end up running BETWEEN them.

2009-03-23 11:47 AM

User image

Expert

breckview - 2009-03-23 9:54 AM First off, 6-8' isn't wide enough for a real multi-use trail so you can take that up with your local government. Further, if they made it out of concrete vs. asphalt they are recreation idiots. Our "bike path" is 12-14' wide of perfect seemless asphalt for 100 miles or so. Legally, it's a "multi-use trail". Having said that, when running/walking on it, I NEVER let my dog cross the center line. I have no idea if a road bike is coming from behind me at 30 mph and for the safety of everyone including my dog, fast movers must be assured they can pass safely. IMO, that should be a hard rule on all multi-use trails. I also think EVERYONE should be on the right under all circumstances. Running/walking on the left like most do on roads isn't applicable on trails and it is dangerous.

My multi-use trail is a little more low tech, but it works out ok.  It was built on an existing rail-road bed and the surface is dirt/cinder.  It's great for running and hiking, and the MTB guys ride it a lot, even though it is almost pancake flat...a rarity in my area.

Columbia Trail

2009-03-23 11:59 AM

User image

Expert
Hattiesburg, Mississippi

As a constant user of our multi use trail and dog owner, I can relate and I always take extra caution when I see a runner or biker come by when I am walking my dogs. I have found though, that not all runners and bikers are gracious either. It's a small number but bodes negative for the rest of us. When I am running or biking and I come across folks who make an effort to give me space I always thank them. Not only does it let them know I appreciate it but it sets a civil and positive tone that seems to rebound all along the trail.

2009-03-23 12:01 PM
in reply to: #2034440

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
COSkiGirl - 2009-03-23 12:08 PM

Wow!

Oh yeah, Colorado mountain bike, sorry multi-use, trails are heavenly for many reasons including their width, material, striping, maintenance and signage.  Whenever I head up for a ride there I'm hugely jealous (not to mention the views!).  Here's a pic of me that gives a better view up the trail.  This is between Frisco and Copper Mountain last September.

Wow!  and Double Wow!

I'm gonna have to move to Colorado ... that is outstanding ... and this goes on for 100 miles?  Wow, I could really get in my long training rides on something like this, vs. fighting the traffic here where I live and about getting ran off the road every day.

About got ran off the road 3 times yesterday .. had numerous cars blow there horns at me ... had one yell out the window "Get out of the way, fat boy!"  and had several give me the middle finger.

2009-03-23 12:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Things that bother me on multi-use trails:

1.)The Rollerblader with headphones (are there ever rollerbladers without headphones?) who takes the long side to side strides in the middle of the trail, completely oblivious to your screams of "On your left!".

2.)People who smoke while walking on the trail.

3.)People who let their dogs poop on the trail and leave it for all to enjoy

4.)Kids who set up a ramp in the middle of the trail for their remote controlled cars.

5.)The Rollerblader who passes me while I'm running, then slows down and proceeds to do pirouettes directly in front of me.

6.)People who decided to lay down and stretch in the middle of the trail

7.)People who get mad when I try to steal a water bottle off their fuel belt. Cmon! You have six of them and I'm on Mile 8 and was too dumb to bring any for myself.

8.)Rollerbladers

9.)The Family Reunion Pack Walkers

10.)Recumbent bicycles. I don't know why, but they just creep me out. Why are they so low?!???

2009-03-23 12:14 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Yeah those Colorado trails are simply AMAZING! Every time we go to visit family in Denver I have to build in some long runs to take advantage of them!
2009-03-23 12:29 PM
in reply to: #2034594

User image

Lafayette, CO

Wow!

Wow!  and Double Wow!

I'm gonna have to move to Colorado ... that is outstanding ... and this goes on for 100 miles?  Wow, I could really get in my long training rides on something like this, vs. fighting the traffic here where I live and about getting ran off the road every day.

About got ran off the road 3 times yesterday .. had numerous cars blow there horns at me ... had one yell out the window "Get out of the way, fat boy!"  and had several give me the middle finger.

Just remember, this is at 9000 feet of elevation (I had some nasty exercise induced asthma on that ride particularly) and some of those 100 miles is over mountain passes.  So, if your long rides should have some hills in them it's great.  If you're looking for flat, not such a good plan.  

On the other hand, I've been screamed and yelled at and had the middle finger flown at me in Denver so we're not perfect either.  The fat comment, yep, heard that too.  I just remind myself that I've been on a bike for 4 hours while their lazy butts are driving around in a car.  

2009-03-23 2:53 PM
in reply to: #2034668

User image

Expert
Durham, North Carolina
COSkiGirl - 2009-03-23 1:29 PM

Wow!

Wow!  and Double Wow!

Just remember, this is at 9000 feet of elevation (I had some nasty exercise induced asthma on that ride particularly) and some of those 100 miles is over mountain passes.  So, if your long rides should have some hills in them it's great.  If you're looking for flat, not such a good plan.  

On the other hand, I've been screamed and yelled at and had the middle finger flown at me in Denver so we're not perfect either.  The fat comment, yep, heard that too.  I just remind myself that I've been on a bike for 4 hours while their lazy butts are driving around in a car.  

Yeah, I'm still kinda chunky but not really fat ... I had on bike shorts but then had a long pair of sweats over them ...so I couldn't have been grossing out people with too much butt stuffed into lycra ... so anyhow ... I could just imagine this woman yelling this ... from the passenger side of a mini-van ... was probably your typical redneck, Jerry Springer watching, fat-azz herself who probably had to pry the Marlboro cigarette from her mouth before she could shout out her obscenities.

Anyhow, it was all good ... survived it, got in my longest so dar this year of 37 miles, and my legs actually feel better today than they did yesterday before I started.

2009-03-23 3:30 PM
in reply to: #2034592

User image

Extreme Veteran
Hattiesburg, MS
blujay65 - 2009-03-23 11:59 AM

As a constant user of our multi use trail and dog owner, I can relate and I always take extra caution when I see a runner or biker come by when I am walking my dogs. I have found though, that not all runners and bikers are gracious either. It's a small number but bodes negative for the rest of us. When I am running or biking and I come across folks who make an effort to give me space I always thank them. Not only does it let them know I appreciate it but it sets a civil and positive tone that seems to rebound all along the trail.

Ahh the trace!  Yeah sometime folks on there seem to be in there own little world.

2009-03-23 3:41 PM

User image

Expert
Earth

When I ride the multi-use trails around here, I always make a point of YELLING prior to passing a dog walker.  Most times they get their dog moved over without any problem.  I have never had a dog trip me when I was running, but then most of the people in this area tend to be considerate of others. 

I am not sure what I would do if some one were to NOT keep their dog under control.  I have only had 1 close call, and that was with dogs NOT on leashes, they were running free.  Jumped my wife and I while we were biking, we out rode them but scared the crap out of me.  I don't know what I would have done had that been a family ride.

2009-03-23 3:41 PM
in reply to: #2035224

User image

Expert
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
CoastTrash - 2009-03-23 3:30 PM
blujay65 - 2009-03-23 11:59 AM

Ahh the trace!  Yeah sometime folks on there seem to be in there own little world.

Or from some other world, I think.

2009-03-23 3:45 PM

User image

Expert
Falls Church, VA

breckview - 2009-03-23 9:54 AM First off, 6-8' isn't wide enough for a real multi-use trail so you can take that up with your local government. Further, if they made it out of concrete vs. asphalt they are recreation idiots. Our "bike path" is 12-14' wide of perfect seemless asphalt for 100 miles or so. Legally, it's a "multi-use trail". Having said that, when running/walking on it, I NEVER let my dog cross the center line. I have no idea if a road bike is coming from behind me at 30 mph and for the safety of everyone including my dog, fast movers must be assured they can pass safely. IMO, that should be a hard rule on all multi-use trails. I also think EVERYONE should be on the right under all circumstances. Running/walking on the left like most do on roads isn't applicable on trails and it is dangerous.

Most mountain bike single track1-2' (at least in these parts) are multi use.. sucks when you don't avoid the big piles of horse dung, hehe

2009-03-23 3:48 PM
in reply to: #2034594

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
  • .. and this goes on for 100 miles? 

• That's the path I ride daily once it melts. It goes about 45 miles out (90 R/T) from where I live, which is the southern end. But you can ride much further west on good, safe roads once it ends. I'm not sure where it technically ends because it winds through Avon and gets slow and annoying so riders move to a good road in Avon. We have other paths too.
    2009-03-23 3:56 PM
    in reply to: #2035282

User image

Master
    Breckenridge, CO
    Bioteknik - 2009-03-23 2:45 PM
    Most mountain bike single track1-2' (at least in these parts) are multi use..

We have a few miles of that too. Like probably hundreds. Plus, no snakes, poison ivy, wasps, heat, humidity, or air pollution. Horses are legal on trails but no one has any because there's no place to store them. One thing we do have is SNOW and lots of it especially today. Mountain biking season phases in as trails melt out and dry.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Don't Let the Runner go by... Rss Feed  

of 2