Other Resources My Cup of Joe » iPhone Apps Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2009-03-24 8:33 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Subject: iPhone Apps
Looking to the BT'ers with iPhones/iTouch for cool apps that you've come across or discovered. Looking for free ones (I'm cheap).

I've got Pandora's music, Shazam, rimshot, ipee (the bathroom locator), and a few others.

What say ye?

2009-03-24 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2038139

User image

Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: iPhone Apps
Urbanspoon, Runkeeper, iTV, Google, PacMan, WebMD, iHandy Level, Distant Shore.
2009-03-24 8:56 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia

I fall asleep using "whitenoise" and also use "goodnite lite"

Also a shazam fan.  Used the level this past weekend putting up shelves in our remodeled laundry room.

Also a HEAVY user of "Things" both on the mac and the phone (and syncing them).  Not free, but amazing if you are a GTD'r.

2009-03-24 8:57 PM

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
TriCalc!
2009-03-24 10:08 PM

User image

Expert
Cornfields of Illinois

italk, camerabag, flashlight, nightstand for serious apps

thunder, tapdefense, wurdle, the iball, dactyl and tracefor some timewasting games

ocarina is a cool music feature

2009-03-24 10:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Frisco, Texas
i'm officially jeaous of the iphone apps!!

2009-03-25 12:45 AM

I've been working in mobile game development for the past 7 years so here's my take on things iPhone related... some good some bad -

Fieldrunners - great tower defense game, dare i say i've spent literally hundreds of hours on this..one weekend I spent almost an entire Saturday playing, through breakfast into lunch and stopped when it got dark. This game was voted one of the top ten games of 2008 on any platform (Xbox, Wii, PS3, PSP, etc.) It was recently awarded 7 top honors at this weeks Game Developer Conference in San Fran.

Lux - free app is great, if you like the game Risk you'll love this though, I recently upgraded to the paid version....
LuxDlx - only thing this game is missing is a network option to play against other people but they included a TON of new maps that were created by different people. the only drawback is that the upgrades to maps and graphics seems a bit to much for the programing to handle since the animations slowdown a bit during gameplay. I've played both Lux and the Dlx versions for countless hours. they're both awesome. I'm looking forward to EA putting out the real Risk game which is coming later this year.

Penguine lite - not great, it's a game that was made for common cell phones and did not cross over well to the iPhone.

Tanagram Pro - it's a good puzzle game if you like that, it' worth it

Enigmo - visually this is a cool game but the mechanics of it leave something to be desired, camera angles are not great, puzzles are annoying and do not build up the learning environment the way they should so it turns off casual gamers. bottom line, it's interesting from a design perspective but not wort the $ paid for it.

Tap Defense - this was really a great game until Feildrunners came out...it's a different tower defense game and worth it if your interested in something else in that genre.

Lemonade Stand Tycoon (by: Maverick Software)- horrible game on the iPhone, it's just poorly made and designed, i had a Lemonade Tycoon game on my Motorola RAZR 3 years ago that was better.

Chopper - great game great use of the accelerometer on the device. button placement was good and options allowed for different set up which was smart. good game.

Up There - simple balloon game hich is challenging from the 2nd level. worth it.

Dactal - good game to play with friends great social game. alone it's "ehh, ok" but if you get some people together and make it a competition it's retains playability.

PapiCatch - this app is useless played this for 30 seconds and never touched it again. not worth it and it's free!

Cannon Game - from the Discovery Channel - good free game. Kinda fun time waster. not real challenging

Space Deadbeef - I think I got this just for the title. It seems ok and quite a few people I know like it but I'm not a huge fan. it's not a bad game, it's just not for me.

Crazy Tanks - i think it's a good concept but its just not good in practice.

Surf Report from Oakley - this is a pretty god app, great quick time updates on my favorite spot and if i want more info i go to other web sites but this is great for a short an simplle update.

SkiReport from Skireport.com - it's all i need to kno during the week. although i've not ried to many others. this one suits me just fine.

Wheel of Fortune - Great game, but I'm partial to this since our company developed this for Sony Pictures. honestly though, if you like the show you will not be disappointed spending the $5 for it.

iDracula - this is the latest game I'm playing and I've not put it down in the past 2 days except for my swim training it's shooter and has great controls. at first i thought it might be too difficult a game but I'm getting used to it. instructions and help text could be better...they leave alot for you to figure out.

If you don't have an iPhone or iPod touch and you want a cell phone game that you'll like I recommend "Chuzzle" no company I worked for had anything to do with this game. it' just a good game. My wife still plays it quite a bit at home on the couch.

This is about 1/4 of all the games I've downloaded the rest are pretty forgettable and a matter of taste so there you go.

~Cheers

Edited by K-Money 2009-03-25 12:50 AM
2009-03-25 7:48 AM

User image

Expert
New Orleans

Most of those that I have are covered already, but I also like the Woot watch and Facebook apps.

For movie and dvd info, Flixster is great.

The Weather channel app is way better than the iphone's default weather app (and it's free).

For games, iShoot is like crack, and I've got a couple of free sudoku games that I really like.

2009-03-25 9:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Daily Zen
Midomi (similar to Shazam)
Flixster (x2)
Sportacular (Sports Scores)
Around Me
Translator (language)
WhiteNoise (rain, water, wind-type noises)
Echo (Simon Memory Game)
Color Splash

Private (VERY COOL APP) - this will go on your first screen of apps and is a black colored app with the words "PRIVATE" in big red letters.  When you open the app - it immediately says "accessing pictures" and shows a status bar that gives you ther impresstion that it is working or doing something.  It is actually tracking your phone and will email you within minutes that your found has been found and sends you the GPS location.  Really cool app in case you lose your phone or it is stolen.

2009-03-25 10:22 AM

User image

Champion
2009-03-25 12:16 PM

User image

Denver
"Lose It!" is a pretty cool app! You can track your calories burned and calories taken in.  The calories burned option is pretty cool too, it has about 50 different excercises you can track from swimming, cycling, running, weight training, rowing, tennis, etc.

2009-03-25 12:39 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Yeah, I hate the Yahoo weather. It's often wrong, so I've got the Weather Networks WeatherEye. I wish I could delete the Yahoo weather.

I also have facebook, conversions, TransLink (Metro Vancouver bus routes and times), TED (all TedTalks without downloading the podcasts), Google Earth, SaveMyDocs, Public Radio, Labyrith LE and iHandy Level. I've had some others and deleted them. I want this gear ratio calculator, but I was too cheap to pay for it, so I was going to right my own, but it cost more money to put it in the App Store.

2009-03-25 12:52 PM

User image

Expert
Avon, CT

I can't remember which of these are free but I like:

-Flixster (movie app- showtimes, reviews, etc.)
-eBay
-Ski Report
-WeatherBug
-Solitaire
-ColorSplash
-USA Today
-Urban Spoon

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » iPhone Apps Rss Feed