General Discussion Race Reports! » Rumpass in Bumpass International 2009 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rumpass in Bumpass International 2009 - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Bumpass, VA, Virginia
United States
Setup Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 55m 15s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:00. Had my normal chicken quesadilla and beanless chili for breakfast (breakfast of champions).

Laid everything out and figured out why I like a transition bag much more than a duffel bag. It's like a checklist with zippers. Do you have everything? Well, see if all the pockets are filled, if they are you probably do :)
Event warmup:

Struggled into my wetsuit and did some splashing around. Met up with Judi and Chrissy (HIYA ladies!) Judi decided her wetsuit was more a temperate one and this swim was going to be a matter of HTFU.

Walked around and saw everything there.
Swim
  • 33m 8s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

Note to self: 60 degree water is fine to swim in with a full wetsuit and only the latex cap they provide. I was not cold nor was I overly warm in that setup.

Well, I was in wave 3. This swim went well. At the beginning of the swim the light changed in the water and after a few minutes of that I wanted to see if it was the bottom. I stood up and the water was only up to just above my knees. So I walked for about 100 yards. I could use some sighting practice. I believe I swam around, the wrong way around, the police boat. There was nothing to sight on for the long leg until you were almost on top of the yellow turn buoy and I got into a section with no one around me. Oops.

After that 200 mile section with no sighting source, I turned the corner and found myself a nice big white tent at the end of the race. Ummm, that tent seems to be about 200 yards off to the left of the course. Grr, turning back onto the course. Nope, I end up on the wrong side of the dock and have to backtrack back around the dock.

This swim was one hell of a lot better all around and for each of the specifics than the Great Acorn swim last year. At least I'm going in the right direction.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, it was a fun swim. Might figure out how to sight a bit better but still wasn't bad time :)
Transition 1
  • 01m 52s
Comments:

I wasn't racing a lot of this, just doing the course.

Not a whole lot. This went well.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 21s
  • 24 miles
  • 19.63 mile/hr
Comments:

That was a nice bike course. About half of the pavement was that chip seal stuff that vibrates your teeth out and the other half was fresh pavement and SMOOOOOTTTTTHHHH. Oh that felt nice.

I believe a total of about 10-15 people passed me. I'm happy about that. I'm even happier that just about all the people who did pass me had either Zipp 404s or a disk rear wheel. Only two standard setup road bikes. That tells me I'm getting to the solid middle of the pack.

Not a whole lot. I think just plain T I T S will do me wonders.
Transition 2
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

None really. I put socks on because it was a 10K and this early in the season I'm not up to running without socks that far, or at least didn't want to push it and see.

Not a lot again. Starting out towards the big sign that says, "RUN OUT" would probably be helpful, though.
Run
  • 1h 04m 41s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

I may have gotten just a bit too much to drink towards the end of the bike, it sloshed around when I was starting the run.

First loop was okay but didn't sit well. Second loop went a whole lot better and I'm positive I got a negative split off this one.

Dunno. Just keep plugging along and get more experience under my belt.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around. Had some stew (YUMMMM!!!!) got some HEED, drank some Recoverite, talked to Judi again.

Oh, more pictures, a lot more pictures, here:
http://www.rhce.us/tripics/rumpassinbumpass041809/

Amazingly enough my son took a bunch of pictures and didn't take the all of girl butts :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I suck at running. I've always sucked at running. I probably always will suck at running. The swim would probably have been faster had I not taken detours to other states while we're swimming. I'm happy with my biking for as long as I have been doing this.

Event comments:

They put on a good show. Giant Acorn is in the same venue and it was great too.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-01-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:08 | 1640 yards | 02m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:52
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:13:21 | 24 miles | 19.63 mile/hr
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:04:41 | 06.21 miles | 10m 25s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-04-19 3:00 AM

User image

Subject: Rumpass in Bumpass International 2009

2009-04-19 4:08 AM
in reply to: #2094815

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Rumpass in Bumpass International 2009
Great job!

Time to stop sight seeing on your swim but so glad you were comfortable in the water. Impressive how your bike has improved and running well is tough for many of us..me included!

Kudos for good race pictures of you by your son and skipping his typical race photos

Nice race and sounds like the BT connection made it better~
2009-04-19 6:44 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

You rocked this one! 

Not racing indeed...You were strong the entire course!

As always it was great to see you at the race, a real mental boost.  Your HTFU talk was needed

2009-04-19 8:22 AM

User image

Veteran
Grass Valley

Great job yesterday!  Awesome weather for a Tri

2009-04-19 10:05 AM

User image

Veteran
King George, VA

Great job, especially on the bike!  Good job at staying hydrated on the bike; the extra fluids probably helped your run more than you think.  Not having enough is way worse.

2009-04-19 11:45 AM

User image

Expert
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Virginia
Good job on the race. It was a fun course.  I had some trouble on the swim to going all over the place.  It didn't help on the last turn I saw something orange but it turned out to be a kayak.  LOL

Keep plugging away at the run.

2009-05-15 7:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, Maryland
Awesome report. You sound a lot like me. I sight see on swims too. One race I did I starting seeing bluegills and knew I had gotten too shallow sure enough everybody else was 50 yards to my left. Bet they didn't see fish.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rumpass in Bumpass International 2009 Rss Feed