General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru Shawnigan Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Subaru Shawnigan Lake International Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Shawnigan Lake, British Columbia
Canada
Lifesport
17C / 63F
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 51m 24s
Overall Rank = 19/115
Age Group = M30/34
Age Group Rank = 4/13
Pre-race routine:

Woke up early, had my usual bowl of oatmeal and bagel w/ peanut butter and a coffee, then drove up to Shawnigan Lake. Got there with about an hour and 20 minutes before my race started so plenty of time to get the bike ready and set-up transition, downed a gel with about 30 minutes to go and got in for a good 10 minute warm up.
Event warmup:

A quick 10 minutes swim, and I was ready to go.
Swim
  • 29m 46s
  • 1900 meters
  • 01m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

The first 200 meters were a bit rough as I seeded myself a bit further back than I should have. It's funny how easily I get intimidated at the start of some of these races and I end up getting stuck back on the swim start. After the first 200 of being kicked and generally beaten by other swimmers I found some space and moved to front of the second pack, and settled into a good rhythm, sighting was awesome, other than being a bit blinded by the sun on the first lap. Once I hit the last 500 meters I upped the tempo a bit and passed a couple more people on my way in.
What would you do differently?:

Not much other than seed myself with a little more confidence, I might have been able to cut another 20-30 seconds off my time if I had been able to get clear of the mess a little earlier, oh well, I can't believe I won my age group for the swim, very shocking for me as swimming was what I would have considered my weakness even up until the end of last year.
Transition 1
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

I have got to work on this big time!!! I seemed to take forever in T1, not really sure why either, I hope to have the kinks ironed out before my next race.

Work on transitions more.
Bike
  • 2h 34m
  • 88 kms
  • 34.29 km/hr
Comments:

I was curious before this race about how the bike would go, I have been feeling pretty strong as of late on the bike, and I was very happy with this ride. My goal was to try and go a little harder each lap, and that stategy worked out quite well. The first lap a couple of guys passed me, but after that I held the pace strong and managed to pull back a couple of people towards the end of the ride. All in all I am super stoked with this ride and I think I can build on this and be even better over the coming weeks in time for the next 1/2 iron.

I'm not sure, as this ride was the best I have ever done in a race, I think I can do more in training that would make a difference, but pacing was good, decision making was good, nutrition intake was good.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Quick and easy, helmet off shoes on and off for the run.

Nothing.
Run
  • 1h 43m 46s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 04m 55s  min/km
Comments:

Well, this was a bit of a rough one, the first 10 k was good, I felt strong and was going very well, it seemed like I had made some time up against the guys ahead of me, but the next 11.1k was a bit of a rough ride, but I tried to just keep the legs turning over as well as I could, and take in some fluid as it ended up getting really hot out there, plus that loose gravel trail really saps your energy, I was not ready for that at all. Oh well, I was hoping to run closer to 1:30, but just could not get it done on the day. No worries though, gives me something to shoot for this year.

Hmmm, this is a tough one. I know people will say I probably rode too hard which may be true, but I also have a feeling I needed to take in more gatorade on the run especially as it was so hot, I ended up cramping up on the run. But, this was the first time I haven't had to stop o the run to use the porta potties, so I must have done something right with my nutrition this time around.
Post race
Warm down:

Jumped into the lake for 15 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I set a PB for a half iron and took 36 minutes off my time on this course from 2 years ago so I am very happy with the end result. I think there are some minor tweaks to be made with my race day strategy and nutrition, but overall I don't think anything really was wrong.

Event comments:

This series keeps getting better each year and the fileds keep getting more competitive which is a good thing. Lookig forward to the next few races as I signed up for the whole series.

Last updated: 2009-05-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:46 | 1900 meters | 01m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/13
Overall: 11/115
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:49
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:34:00 | 88 kms | 34.29 km/hr
Age Group: 4/13
Overall: 19/115
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 4 laps rolling terrain
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:43:46 | 21.1 kms | 04m 55s  min/km
Age Group: 5/13
Overall: 31/115
Performance: Average
Course: Rolling, loose gravel.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-05-26 9:11 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Subject: Subaru Shawnigan Lake International Triathlon

2009-05-26 9:51 PM
in reply to: #2174556

User image

Extreme Veteran
Victoria
Subject: RE: Subaru Shawnigan Lake International Triathlon
Great race!!!!  Congrats on the age group win on the swim!!!  Not to mention an awesome bike split!

It was a tough day on the run, and I know TONS of people who suffered because of the heat!

Looks like you'll have a great race at the New Balance half as well!

2009-05-27 11:54 AM

User image

First in the swim, a half iron PB and 36 minutes less than two years ago? Those are awesome results, Mike!!

Keep up the hard work and you'll have a stellar season!
2009-05-27 8:28 PM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC

Great Job out there.

Keep it up. As for the cramping..it probably was the heat..

2009-05-29 5:25 PM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
Great work Mike! Awesome swim result too! Congratulations!
2009-05-30 10:58 PM

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC

Dude, 36 minutes off?!!? That is amazing! That is killer, very big congrats on a huge race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Subaru Shawnigan Lake International Triathlon Rss Feed