CGI Racing
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 26s
Overall Rank = 11/541
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 5/61
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:20. Coffee and bagel w/ PB for breakfast. Out the door (from Laura's parents' house) at 5:30. At race site a few minutes before 6. Sipped on a little bit of Heed on the way to the race.
Event warmup:

Went out for a about an 11min ride as soon as we got to the site. Then went to setup transition. After doen with transition, I swam for about 6-7min. Had a Hammer Gel at about 15min prior to start.
Swim
  • 10m 44s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 26s / 100 meters
Comments:

Great swim. Started on the buoy line, 2nd row. I saw one or two guys break away and go ahead and I just stuck with my feet. Drafted for about 500 or so and then it got broken up as we started the angle for the shore.

Swim was 4s slower than last year, but last year's time was aided by some wind and current. Plus last year's time was just swim, and this year's included a very short run to the TA mat. Was very happy with this swim. Execution was near perfect.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Off with wetsuit. Sunglasses on, gel and edurolytes into pocket, helmet on and out of transition. Looonng run to the mount line with the time counting toward the bike split.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 54m 40s
  • 17.7 miles
  • 19.43 mile/hr
Comments:

eh...a so-so ride. I forgot how tough this course was...even the rollers during the first six miles or so required me to spend a lot of time in my easiest gear (39-23). The plan was to ride the first half at or slightly below FTP. That was ok, but I was suffering a bit at the end. Second half power was ~20w lower. Now part of that is more downhills (and coasting) but I am sure part was just not being 100% today.

Tough to compare to last year as they moved TA, which (a) included a long run in/out into your bike time and (b) increased the course slightly. I was +3:37 slower this year. If I had to guess, I'd say the course was about 90s to 2m slower this year given the above. IMO, the rest of my time difference was due to performance difference.

EQUIPMENT:
Bike - Trek Eq9
Front - Hed Jet 60
Rear - Mavic Open Pro w/ PT and wheelcover (RD was rubbing when in 39-23)
Gears - 50/34 crank w/ 11-23 cassette
Aero helmet

NUTRITION:
Had about 16oz of water on the ride via aero bottle. Took one endurolyte and one Hammer Gel near the end of the ride.

- Run a larger cassette. Used an 11-23 w/ a compact crank (50-34) and on some of the bigger/longer hills my cadence was <70 for over a minute straight. Really wish I had noted what setup I rode last year so I could compare.
Transition 2
  • 00m 40s
Comments:

Good transition. Nothing to really note.
Run
  • 21m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 51s  min/mile
Comments:

Much better run than last year, but still didn't feel like I nailed it. I left transition alone but had one guy ~40yds in front and another about 40yds back. I was having some mild sidestitch type of cramps...similar to last year, but not nearly as bad. It's weird b/c I never get them and now its twice on this course. I think a hard hilly bike may have somethign to do with it, but who knows for sure.

So the guy from behind caught me right before mile 1. Another guy passed me at the turnaround (he was in the wave ahead of me an wee leap-frogged a bit on the bike) and a 3rd flew shortly after the 2mi mark. I tried to hang with him but that just induced severe cramping so no luck. I just cruised on in. No one was really around me. I didn't wear a watch so I don't have any splits, although based on Laura's splits the mile-markers were off anyways. I prob slowed a bit at the end, but nothing too bad.

Oh, I had no idea until Laura finished but the course was way short of the advertised 3.4mi. They changed the course quite a bit from last year b/c of the new TA, but still advertised 3.4mi. Turns out it was 5k. Didn't effect my race, but wanted to throws that in there in case I want to look at the results later and I am wondering why there was a huge time difference b/t years.

EQUIPMENT:
Ran in my Brooks Racers..used body glide and vasoline and had no issues going sockless.

Nutrition:
Took two cups of water on the course...a small gulp from each and the rest onto head/face.

- Figure out a way to not get these weird side-stitch cramps.
Post race
Warm down:

Light stretching and waited for Laura to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hard to say for sure, but I'll definitely try a different cassette if we do the sprint again next year. Besides that, I pretty much performed to my current level of fitness.

Overall it was a solid race. I am tough on myself and always strive for the perfect race, but I can't complain with AG hardware. It was fun day and it was nice that my parents, along with Laura's parents and brother and sister were all able to watch and support us.

Event comments:

Started ~15min late b/c of traffic getting into the park. Luckily we came from the other direction and I like to get there early so we didn't have any issues.

Love the venue being its a state park. They have a full bathrooms and showers. (I actually had no wait to use the bathroom...a first for a tri for me) Picnic tables, grills, and even a concession stand for family/spectators.

Last updated: 2009-02-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:44 | 750 meters | 01m 26s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/61
Overall: 15/541
Performance: Good
Suit: ProMotion full suit
Course: They switched the course this year b/c they had to move the TA to accommodate more athletes. Course is shaped like a "J" where you start at the top of the "J" and headed west twd the dam.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:05
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:54:40 | 17.7 miles | 19.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/61
Overall: 15/541
Performance: Average
Will add power data later. From PT 239/258 (1.08), 91rpm, 18.12mi, 20.3mph Rough splits by half 1st - 249/261 (1.05), 93rpm, 9.09mi, 19.5mph 2nd - 227/256 (1.13), 89rpm, 9.09mi, 21.3mph
Wind: None
Course: Lots of big rolling hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 91
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:40
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:21:18 | 03.11 miles | 06m 51s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/61
Overall: 36/541
Performance: Below average
Course: With the exception of the last 100yds, it was all on trail/rock/dirt path. Very winding and a bit hilly. Hard to track other runners.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-01 1:31 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Subject: Black Bear Triathlon

2009-06-01 1:40 PM
in reply to: #2187014

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Subject: RE: Black Bear Triathlon
Nice job!  Those are some fast times on what I've heard is a tough course!
2009-06-01 1:44 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Nice job on a tough course - great swim time!
2009-06-01 1:49 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Great race!  Your run is really staring to catch up to your swim & bike. 

I think the bike times generally looked a little slower this year.  Part of it might have been the longer run out & into transition, but I'm wondering if there wasn't just enough wind to slow people down too.  Seemed to notice it on the faster sections of the course, so it may have been enough to rob some of the "free" speed you'd usually see.
2009-06-02 8:55 AM

User image

Veteran

I've said it hundreds of times already, but you really are improving by leaps and bounds from year to year. I love seeing you out on the course when you are in the mix for top rankings. Great race; can't wait to see what you do the rest of the season.

2009-06-04 10:15 AM

User image

Master
SMIBville
very nice splits!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Black Bear Triathlon Rss Feed