American Cycling Association
46F / 8C
Precipitation
Total Time = 31m 32s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Cat 4 Women
Age Group Rank = 6/10
Pre-race routine:

So I get to the race site and it's 46 degrees, raining, hailing and windy and I think to myself, "oh this is gonna be fun." I sat in my car for a while waiting for it to stop hailing (it was just pea sized, but still, that can hurt when you're on a bike), and it lets up after a while, so I set my bike up on my trainer under the "canopy" of the open rear door of my SUV. That helped block me from the rain a little bit.
Event warmup:

I warmed up on the trainer dressed in about every piece of clothing I had. Looking around at all the other people warming up, it was obvious that no one wanted to be there today. I warmed up for about an hour, downed a gel and a little cytomax. Changed out my rear wheel (and hey, I didn't screw that up this time). Then I realized that I forgot to put my speed magnet on my front race wheel. Great. No speed readout on my computer. STUPID. There always has to be at least one mishap at any of my races. So, I was really just going to have to ride blind, go as fast as I could and just base it off my heart rate. Happily, I made it to the start line with plenty of time this time (not by the skin of my teeth like last week).
Bike
  • 31m 32s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 19.98 mile/hr
Comments:

Talk about miserable conditions. It was so cold and it was steadily raining and the wind was constantly changing and blowing me around. The words that kept going through my head the entire race were "BLOODY HELL" over and over and over again. Cause that's what I was going through! I even said it with a nice, thick English accent too. I stayed warm during the race because I had dressed as appropriately as I could (wool turtleneck under my skinsuit, arm warmers, knee warmers, thermal booties. But the minute I crossed the finish line and started my cooldown, I got those wonderful body-wracking, shaking chills. I felt like I was having spasms - oh wait, I was.

My time was slower than last week's by 14 seconds, which considering the conditions, isn't TOO bad. In fact, it's probably an improvement even if it doesn't look like one. :)
What would you do differently?:

Get another speed magnet for my race wheel so I don't have to use the one off my training wheel and forget it at home.
Post race
Warm down:

Remember when I said I had to have at least one mishap at a race? Well, there was another one. I'm back at my car, freezing cold, spasming, and I unlock my car and put my key inside. Well, my fancy car has one of those auto-lock functions so if you don't unlock the whole system by either using the unlock remote or the unlock button on the car door, it will relock itself after 60 seconds. Well, the stupid car relocked itself with my key inside. OOPS! So I'm standing there in the rain, shivering, and I locked my keys in the car. But never fear - **ONSTAR** is here. I borrowed a cell phone, called OnStar (best thing EVER) and they had my car unlocked in about 5 minutes. So, not a total disaster, but still a mishap. By that time I was REALLY cold. I went home and scalded myself in a hot shower for 20 minutes just to warm up a little.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Uh, the fact that it was freezing, wet, windy and miserable. It's hard to get pumped up for a race in those conditions.

Event comments:

I shouldn't complain about the weather TOO much. At the second race of last year's series, it SNOWED. Like a blizzard, but it didn't stick to the pavement, so they didn't cancel the race.

Last updated: 2005-04-21 12:00 AM
Biking
00:31:32 | 10.5 miles | 19.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Max HR: 179 Avg HR: 174
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Out and back course around the reservoir. The turnaround was very slick from the rain, hail, and all of the tree blooms that had fallen to the pavement from the storm.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-04-21 10:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver, CO
Subject: Cherry Creek Time Trial Series #2

2005-04-21 10:37 AM
in reply to: #145862

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Cherry Creek Time Trial Series #2

That hail was crazy last night!  We had it up here and then again in Denver on the way to the concert! 

You are a brave soul for doing the race!  and great time, even without the conditions!  You rock

2005-04-21 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Wow - doesn't sound like the most fun experience, but you're pretty tough to ride in that last night!!  Nice job

2005-04-21 11:54 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO
Great job you stud! Yes, braving the cold and still riding hard. Those kind of days are hard to get up for and be psyched to race. Nice job! Sorry I didn't come watch, it was too cold, but I am a wuss.
2005-04-21 12:59 PM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
Stacie, you are seriously a Hoss Chick!!! Dang. I'd love to send you some of this heatwave we're having Good showing in that race too! That's a great time considering the conditions. Plus, you didn't have any issues with your rear wheel - but then there was that front wheel thing. Glad to see that you didn't have to spend the night under your truck...

-Frank
2005-04-21 1:11 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO

Nice showing!  One of these warmer nicer days - I'll come watch!

Just think how much tougher you'll be in your nice warm summer tris now!?

2005-04-22 8:46 AM

, Alabama

Great job under awful conditions!  Hosschick is definitely your middle name!

Sharon

2005-04-23 12:55 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
ma
Great job!

I heard about the race through friends of mine who did the race. They said the weather was brutal. They race tandem.

Way to go.

Are you doing the whole series?
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cherry Creek Time Trial Series #2 Rss Feed