Endurance House
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 34m 12s
Overall Rank = 32/
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up bright and early. Had some peanut butter toast and a cup coffee for the same old routine. Drove over and picked up Theresa and headed to Waunakee to get there at a good time for some better parking.
Event warmup:

Got to the race and found the transition area. Set up my bike and talked to a bunch of friends and Donkeys that were present. Me and Theresa took off on our bikes after we got all set up and made sure everything was working ok. After that racked the bike and took off on a short jog on the path of the course. Sun was shining and already was going to a great day. After that, headed back to the transition area and shot a gel about 30 min before race time. Got on the wetsuit and headed down to the beach with Theresa to get in the water.
Swim
  • 29m 27s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 48s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim started off really good. I really wanted to make sure on this swim since it was my longest swim for a race that I paced myself good and kept a little for the last leg. I swam the course the day before so I thought I had a good sense of direction. The first leg to the first buoy felt really good but after that I just felt like I was zig zagging all over the place. Didnt have a lot of drafting opportunities either so that didnt help. Fought for position for the first 200-300 yards and held that so I was pleased with the first part. Other than that, just felt like I did more swimming then i needed too throughout the second half of the course. Once I hit halfway from the last buoy to the end, I threw it into high gear and headed home. Once I got close, i started dolphin diving in for a little bit, and then tried running into the beach. Started to run way to early and killed my legs haha. Should have dove a little bit more but oh well, better luck next time. Overall very happy with the swim, paced myself good and came out at a good time.
What would you do differently?:

Try to stay on course and swim straight. Also, dont start running until i can get my legs above water to run.
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Feel ok about this transition, had a long way to run from my position in the area, but still feel like i need some improvement.

Quit second guessing myself and get my ass going!
Bike
  • 1h 13m 35s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.26 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a hard bike course. The first half of it was a slow pace and the second half was nice and fast. Started off great, HR was high which was expected. Hit about .7 miles in, hit the big hill, switched chain rings, and boom, chain fell off! Stayed calm, laughed, quick fixed it and got back going. Started sprinting the hill out of frustration and got over and got back on track. Really focused on pacing myself throughout the course and hammering it home on the end. Got my HR down to LT, and at about mile 13 decided to start flying home. Really wanted to avg over 20mph, so that was my goal on the way back to hit that number. After the first half, really picked it up and hammering the hills and flats to where i was picking up some really good speed. Hit about the 20 mile marker and decided to leave it out on the course and picked up the pace again. Came in strong to the transition and felt really good about the bike so things were going my way at this point. Took a gel at about mile 9 and a 100cal clif bar at mile 18. Took in enough water and gatorade i think, stomach felt fine so works for me.

Dont drop my chain!
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

My bike area was about 10 ft from the dismount so that wasnt a far run. But from my area to the run start was far. Really felt good about this transition area. Felt like everything was clicking here, so pleased with this one!

Nothing that i can think of now...
Run
  • 47m 56s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Really focused on pacing myself again to leave a kick that the end. Didnt do this race last year and havent done the race course in practice, but didnt know what to expect except for what everyone said, "HILLS". They werent kidding! Started off and legs felt really good which was a positive. The sun was hot at this point and was sweating up a storm. They had a ton of water stations which saved me. Took in a good amount of water and gatorade and stayed cool throughout. Not a whole lot to say expect for HR goes way up from the hill, and then i would get it back down, and then HR back up again from another hill, and repeated this about 10 times. HR was good though, and wanted to average under 8 min. Got to about the mile 4 marker and picked up the pace again. Saw Theresa with a smile by the finish line where we crossed to finish the last mile. I just stuck my tongue out and she laughed, I was not laughing haha. Took that pace to about mile 5.5 and threw it into high again. Body was tired at this point. Once i hit the 6 mile marker, there was girl i was chasing the whole time. Saw her ahead, looked at my watch, I wanted to catch her and get under 48 minutes, so I took off on an all out sprint. Tried to stride it and it felt really good. Passed her about 50 ft from the finish line. Felt really good to chase her down! So, i got her and had 4 seconds to spare!

Not bike 65 miles on Wed and run 13 Miles on Thrusday, other than that nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish and just was out of gas! The girl came over and congratulated me on passing her. She said she had nothing in the tank, and when i passed her she just laughed. She said the hills killed her, I just smiled and said ya same here and everyone else. Got a hug from theresa and headed straight for the tent to cool off and get some liquids. Sat in there for a second stretched out, and walked around and found some friends from the Tri class we had. got cooled down and re hydrated, grabbed a slice of pizza which was great. After talking with some buddies went over and got my results. Very happy with the overall results. Hit my goals with paces on my HR, also avg over 20 (barely), and ran under an 8' pace. Transition 2 went great, still need some touch ups but felt better than last week. Saw that I was 4th in my AG, so thought no podium today but was very happy regardless with my times. Me and theresa were dead tired so packed up our stuff, said our goodbyes, and headed home. Looked for joe runner and trainergirlmick, but couldnt find them. Headed home, picked up a frozen pizza, ate it, and took a nice long nap. Once I got up form the slumber, wanted to check out the final results. To my surprise, I was 3rd among my AG!! So I get to pick up the hardware at endurance house. Very pleased to see that. Two races, two awards. Things are looking up in this sport.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ummmmm, maybe taper!!!!

Event comments:

Great race. From what i have heard they fixed all their bugs from last year. Would love to do this race again next year, very pleased with this one!

Last updated: 2009-02-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:27 | 1640 yards | 01m 48s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:57
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:13:35 | 24.85 miles | 20.26 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:47:56 | 06.21 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Course: Hilly, hilly, and more hilly!!!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-06-15 12:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Capitol View Triathlon

2009-06-15 1:33 PM
in reply to: #2218742

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Capitol View Triathlon

Ooooooo, another speedy! Great job!

2009-06-15 3:30 PM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI

Did you bake the pizza before you ate it?  Nice results...again.  Guess those family genes are strong.  Keep up the great work!!!

2009-06-15 5:00 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Nice job keeping your head when you dropped your chain and getting back in the race quickly.

Awesome job yesterday. And congrats on the podium spot!
2009-06-15 5:55 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Hey nice work and congrats on the age group award!

I did the same thing as you during the swim exit. Never again!
2009-06-15 8:11 PM

User image

Expert
Madison

Nice job out there - congrats on the hardware for a second week in a row!!

2009-06-15 8:40 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Madison-ish, Wisconsin
Nice going!
2009-06-15 9:38 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, WI
great race! Congrats on the hardware!
2009-06-16 8:29 AM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Great race.  And those 65 miles were on the MOO course, so another bonus point.  Great work and now you have a month to get ready for the big deal!  You will do awesome.
2009-06-16 9:53 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI

Nice race...again!!  I think you need to lower that goal time a few half hours for SOR!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Capitol View Triathlon Rss Feed