General Discussion Triathlon Talk » smart-alec replies for drivers who harass bikers? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-06-16 3:01 PM
in reply to: #2221594

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: RE: smart-alec replies for drivers who harass bikers?
(we kept catching up to each other b/c of the stoplights)!

I don't understand this line.  If the guy in the car passed you once, how is that you kept catching up with each other?  Were you passing the line of traffic on the right at the red light?  If you were, I'd be a pissed off motorist too.  I passed you once already, now I have to pass you again; passing on the right is illegal.  All cyclist should maintain their place in traffic just like a car.

Edited by zia_cyclist 2009-06-16 3:01 PM

2009-06-16 3:04 PM
in reply to: #2222134

User image

Slower Than You
Cracklantaburbs
zia_cyclist - 2009-06-16 4:01 PM
  • ..passing on the right is illegal.  All cyclist should maintain their place in traffic just like a car.

• Not everywhere. It's legal here in GA, bikes get to move to the front at stoplights.
    2009-06-16 3:05 PM

User image

Pro
    Burbs
    zia_cyclist - 2009-06-16 4:01 PM

I don't understand this line.  If the guy in the car passed you once, how is that you kept catching up with each other?  Were you passing the line of traffic on the right at the red light?  If you were, I'd be a pissed off motorist too.  I passed you once already, now I have to pass you again; passing on the right is illegal.  All cyclist should maintain their place in traffic just like a car.

I THINK what she/ he meant was: he was riding on the shoulder, car would pass her, car would stop at light, cyclist would catch up.
    2009-06-16 3:13 PM
    in reply to: #2221698

User image

Champion
    SRQ, FL
    KSH - 2009-06-16 2:10 PM In Texas we just lift up our jersey and show our concealed handgun. *Jokes! All jokes!*

You might be joking but I'm seriously still looking for a bike holster...
    2009-06-16 3:37 PM
    in reply to: #2221693

User image

Pro
    Vancouver, BC

Donto - 2009-06-16 11:09 AM "Calling 911 now (pulling out phone), stick around for awhile..."

I always have my cell phone with me.  Personally I'd take a pix of the plate then call 911 and report that your being threatened.  Too many A-holes out there to justify a verbal or physical reply.  About 5 years ago locally there was a guy in a pickup that was doing something like that to a guy on a RB, the biker flipped him off and was yelling back at him.  The driver then went bonkers after the biker and tried to run him over and was chasing him through back streets and parking lots, etc.  He crashed his truck in a parking lot and witnesses stopped him and the police arrested him. 

This almost same scenario happened to me and my SO, except the driver didn't crash. It was very scary being chased by a driver.

2009-06-16 3:38 PM
    in reply to: #2221925

User image

Master
    Salisbury, North Carolina
    coredump - 2009-06-16 2:57 PM

Donto - 2009-06-16 1:09 PM "Calling 911 now (pulling out phone), stick around for awhile..."

I always have my cell phone with me.  Personally I'd take a pix of the plate then call 911 and report that your being threatened.  Too many A-holes out there to justify a verbal or physical reply.  About 5 years ago locally there was a guy in a pickup that was doing something like that to a guy on a RB, the biker flipped him off and was yelling back at him.  The driver then went bonkers after the biker and tried to run him over and was chasing him through back streets and parking lots, etc.  He crashed his truck in a parking lot and witnesses stopped him and the police arrested him. 

x2 for calling police and reporting it.

You can't win and nothing you say will convince them of their error.  A visit from the police will.  Put the non-emergency police number in your phone.  Call and report the incident.  If they later cause an accident, your report could be the deciding factor in whether they are let off as an "accident" or if there's a history of their behavior that leads to them being charged/cited.

I had a pickup truck go psycho on me during a century ride 2 years ago.  Tractor in the opposing lane, and no shoulder, and he was pissed he couldn't pass me fast enough apparently.  Big truck, floored it past me with inches to spare just before a stop sign.  I did *not* flip him off, but threw my arms up in a "shrug/what the hey?" gesture.  He then proceeded to launch into a tirade, and put his truck in reverse ( I was behind him at the stop sign ) and start gunning his truck and jerking backwards.  I immediately unclipped and moved to the side.  Pulled out my phone and called 911.  He saw me do this, yelled "Are you calling the cops on me?".  I said "Yes!".  He dropped an F bomb at me, and then peeled out and drove off.

I got his plates, and gave a description of the driver to the cop that showed up a couple minutes later.  The cop took the complaint and said he was a known local knucklehead and would be getting a visit as well as another flag/note on his record.

Reserve 911 for drivers that are obviously threatening you ( IE, aiming vehicle at you ).  Use the non-emergency number to report aggressive/abusive drivers.

I like that idea. Hope you don't have to use it again.

2009-06-16 3:42 PM

User image

Pro
    Vancouver, BC

zia_cyclist - 2009-06-16 1:01 PM

This happens to me all the time too. We have bike lanes on alot of routes, so I often get around cars on the right when I am in a bike lane.

Actually it's usually worse with buses. On one of my routes, if you pass a bus at a stop, then he'll usually pass you back and then you'll pass them at the next stop and on and on, so I usually just pull over to wait a bit and make the ride more pleasant.

2009-06-16 3:43 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    Stoughton, WI
    FWIW, a lot of the urban bikers in the college city here are inconsiderate a-holes. Blowing through stop lights, weaving in the lane, not being single file (city streets, remember), etc. It seems to be a constant battle with the police doing nothing about either side.
    2009-06-16 4:04 PM
    in reply to: #2222252

User image

Houston
    rcav8r - 2009-06-16 3:43 PM

FWIW, a lot of the urban bikers in the college city here are inconsiderate a-holes. Blowing through stop lights, weaving in the lane, not being single file (city streets, remember), etc. It seems to be a constant battle with the police doing nothing about either side.

Amen.

I hate them more than I hate inconsiderate drivers. Bikers like those make it hard for those of us that do follow the rules by making motorists hate all cyclists.
    2009-06-16 4:42 PM

User image

Master
    Oceanside, California
    Slap the hood, scream, and drop to the payment...

Talk incoherently about premeditation to anyone that you think heard the original comments.

Don't actually explicitly lie or threaten.
    2009-06-16 4:52 PM
    in reply to: #2222399

User image

Master
    eabeam - 2009-06-16 5:42 PM Slap the hood, scream, and drop to the payment...

Talk incoherently about premeditation to anyone that you think heard the original comments.

Don't actually explicitly lie or threaten.
    Hahahaha

2009-06-16 5:37 PM
    in reply to: #2222169

User image

Expert
    NoVA
    TriRSquared - 2009-06-16 4:13 PM
    KSH - 2009-06-16 2:10 PM In Texas we just lift up our jersey and show our concealed handgun. *Jokes! All jokes!*

You might be joking but I'm seriously still looking for a bike holster...

My shorty shotty might just fit on the frame like a bike pump.......hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm for snakes of courseInnocent  (for all the antis out there---yes this is a joke--gun cost too much for one reason---and yes I have ALL of the necessary paperwork for said gun)
    2009-06-16 6:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
    West Michigan
    I just flick them off.  Only had one driver turn around but he just passed real slow like he was intimidating me.  I just smiled and waved. 

I've heard horror stories about people being run down.  I've never understood what the big deal is.  3 seconds and your around the biker.   Anger management. 

That's what we should get is a bunch of anger management cards and throw them in the window if we can.  1-800-fk-off
    2009-06-16 6:30 PM

User image

Regular
    State College, PA
    the other day i was riding on a road with about a 3 foot wide shoulder, plenty of room for a cyclist, i'm riding along and a kid, id say 14 or 15, hangs out of the passenger window of a van, that comes very close to me by the way, " theres a side walk for a reason!!"   

well not even 50 yards down the road, stopped at a red light, i pull up next to the same van, in the same shoulder.. and nicely explain that if i was supposed to ride on the sidewalk, it would be called a sideride.. he didn't look at me the whole time lol.. and as the light turned green and i turned right, and they continued straight, a "dumba**!!!!" might have slipped out of my mouth.

2009-06-16 6:34 PM

User image

Sneaky Slow
    Herndon, VA,
    I've been known to blow kisses at such drivers.  Same thing I do when I'm in the car and I get beeped at, or given the finger, etc.
    2009-06-16 6:40 PM
    in reply to: #2222660

User image

Veteran
    drp5063 - 2009-06-16 6:30 PM the other day i was riding on a road with about a 3 foot wide shoulder, plenty of room for a cyclist, i'm riding along and a kid, id say 14 or 15, hangs out of the passenger window of a van, that comes very close to me by the way, " theres a side walk for a reason!!"   

well not even 50 yards down the road, stopped at a red light, i pull up next to the same van, in the same shoulder.. and nicely explain that if i was supposed to ride on the sidewalk, it would be called a sideride.. he didn't look at me the whole time lol.. and as the light turned green and i turned right, and they continued straight, a "dumba**!!!!" might have slipped out of my mouth.

Haha...I think that's the best come back I've heard yet...I will definitely use that if someone ever asks me that!

2009-06-16 6:48 PM

User image

Regular
    State College, PA
    haha yeah someone on the first page of this thread had the same thing said to them.. people are dumb
    2009-06-16 7:34 PM

User image

Veteran
    Indianapolis

Wow I must be lucky where I live. I have not had one bad experience yet. I've often read about this stuff, but thankfully not experienced it. If I did, just knowing that their life must really suck to be that ignorant is pretty much enough for me.  I mean, his marrage must suck, his kids probably hate him, ya know, total jerk. So I would probably just smile. I usually really do laugh out loud at stupid people.  Unless they almost hit me or do something dumb like that, then I would do something. My thing is you never know who you are about to mess with so why do it.  However, that goes for motorists too Wink

2009-06-16 7:45 PM
    in reply to: #2222779

User image

Regular
    State College, PA
    shad01 - 2009-06-16 8:34 PM

Wow I must be lucky where I live. I have not had one bad experience yet. I've often read about this stuff, but thankfully not experienced it. If I did, just knowing that their life must really suck to be that ignorant is pretty much enough for me.  I mean, his marrage must suck, his kids probably hate him, ya know, total jerk. So I would probably just smile. I usually really do laugh out loud at stupid people.  Unless they almost hit me or do something dumb like that, then I would do something. My thing is you never know who you are about to mess with so why do it.  However, that goes for motorists too Wink

haha you are pretty lucky.  and yeah i dont know how people can be that impatient and rude

yeah i usually just do the smile or a really obnoxious wave if someone honks at me or gives me the hands in the air "what are you doing" look, even when your doing nothing wrong.
    2009-06-16 7:48 PM

User image

Champion
    Butler

I normally say nothing or blow them a kiss.  I did have one guy yell out his window tellingme to get off the road.  We were going kinda slow so I yelled back "what" he repeated and I told him to call the cops on me.  Nothing big but I am legally allowed to be there.  I think I held him up 30 seconds from getting to dinner so he was probably upset.

I did have a guy almost hit me while running a week or so ago.  Granted I was running with traffice (I know a big no no but there is like an 8 ft shoulder and I was on the edge) and a pickup went half way over the line.  Either he was trying to scare me (and it worked) or he was not paying attention and just scared the crap out of me.

2009-06-16 7:55 PM

User image

Master
    Riverside, IL
    This generally happens on a weekly basis, where I ride.  Did a 104 mile ride on Sunday with my hubby, and we got the whole gamut of harassment during that ride.  Everything from "get off the f'n road"...to "you suck"...to the impatient driver buzzing by us within mere inches.   But my personal favorite is the driver that is creeping along slowly behind us, waiting for the opportune moment to pass yet really wants to get their point across that we held them up for that whole 3 or 4 seconds by squealing their tires with the gas pedal to the floor.  I usually end up just shaking my head in utter amazement, at tools like that.   It's just not worth it for me to get all fired up over it, because it's likely to happen again a few miles down the road anyway.  Of course, it does make me feel better to secretly curse like a sailor at them.  Laughing  

2009-06-16 9:19 PM

Akron, OH
    At age 18, 22 years ago, when I was young and dumb I dropped the f-word on a guy who was giving me grief while riding down a rural road.  He turned around and came back for another pass.  He pulled along side and then proceeded to run me right off the side of the road where I barely missed a mailbox.  I turned around and headed the other direction but in a loose gravel parking lot I couldn't go too fast.  He jumped out of his car, chased me down and threw me over as I tried to get out of my clips.  I came up with frame pump in hand and he retreated to his car and sped off.  I did get his license plate, went to court, he served some weekends in jail, mostly because he was on a suspended license and assorted other criminal history.  Never again for me, thanks.  Just not worth it.  The potential damage an idiot in a car can do to you is too great.  You would never consider mouthing off to an idiot holding a gun, right??  Pretty much the same, we're just too used to seeing cars, but they can kill you just as dead.  The people who hassle bike riders consist of mostly the degenerates of society.  They are often on drugs, drunk, have mental issues, criminals, etc.  Smart people report them or let them go on their way.  Don't engage them. 

"Never wrestle with a Pig, you both get covered in S--t but the pig likes it"

2009-06-16 9:50 PM

User image

Regular
    On the bike, I've had pretty good luck so far, I've been riding the streets of the west side of Cincinnati for almost a year now, with no such nasty run-ins i see from everyone else (knock on wood).
    Running, however, is a much different story. I've had so much profanity yelled at me, the occasional paraphernalia thrown at me, and one morning, a few high-school punks had the grapes (or stupidity) to call me the N-word. I literally stopped where I was and stared at them as they passed. I was beside myself for a few minutes --- I mean, first off, I'm clearly NOT of that ethnical group. I did, however, get a good description of the car and occupants. I'll get a license plate # next time...I've seen them before. I guess that's all you can do, eh?

I just find it extremely cowardly and almost humorous that people tend to feel high and mighty in their cars or trucks, but if you approach them stopped at a traffic light, they normally tuck their tail between their legs and act like you aren't there.
    [sarcasm] yeah, it takes alot of balls to yell something at someone running on the side of the road as you pass them in a car....[/sarcasm]
    2009-06-16 10:00 PM

User image

Veteran
    The only thing I've experienced so far as being rude or stupid behavior from someone else while riding is actually from someone who was walking on a multiuse path...I'm riding my bike on the right side and right as I pass the the guy (going in opposite directions) proceeds to scream at the stop of his lungs as if to scare me...and he did, I had to regain my composure and went a swirly....this was an adult male who obviously has the brain and maturity of a grade schooler...if he had caused me to crash I would have ran back to the a**hole and gave him a piece of my mind....seriously wonder what goes on in the brains of these people...its one thing when kids do it, but adults?
    2009-06-17 12:26 AM

User image

Master
    Salt Lake City
    Reserve 911 for drivers that are obviously threatening you ( IE, aiming vehicle at you ).  Use the non-emergency number to report aggressive/abusive drivers.

There's nothing wrong with dialing 911 and advising that you do not have an emergency but would like to be transfered to _____ police non emergency.  I've done this in the past if I don't have the number handy for whichever police department I want to get hold of.

New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » smart-alec replies for drivers who harass bikers? Rss Feed  

of 3