Emerald Coast Events
60sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 07m 32s
Overall Rank = 79/92
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 5/5
Pre-race routine:

Alarm went off at 5:30, got up made coffee, ate a black cherry almond cliff bar and drank some endurance gatorade. Met Lane (Cavu9) in the parking lot and followed him to the race site. Transition bag was packed the night before.
Event warmup:

We picked the last row of bike racks and set up our stuff, didn't really warm-up. Got our body markings and I was #37 and am also 37 y.o. Cool I thought :) Stood around chatting with others, I avoided looking at the gulf for as long as I could. Made a trip to the ladies room and came back FREAKED OUT!! Lane was a great sport and kept trying to calm my nerves. "Ah, Kristi you can stand up most of the way, awe, it won't be bad at all!" YEA RIGHT!!
Swim
  • 40m 39s
  • 600 yards
  • 06m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ok, imagine all the beautiful pictures of the Gulf of Mexico...beautiful, clear tourquoise water, sand bars visable from your condo balcony....WELL throw all those images out the window. Yellow flags were flying and quickly were changed to RED after we got out of the water. As soon as the gun went off everyone but me charged into the water. I held back a little on purpose but more out of fear. I finally made it in and the water was immediately over my head and the current was knocking my feet out from under me. I dove into the first wave and held on the my mask, was knocked back on a 4-1 ratio my whole way out. I felt like a flourescent bobber in "The Perfect Storm", that's how the waves felt to me. Women were turning back right and left, I contemplated it 2x but kept going, why I really don't know. I finally made it to the first bouy and then the long swim to the next one. WELL, I really don't think I ever SWAM. Let's put it this way, I never was horizontal. I basically treaded water and did as many 'strokes' as I could. I have a crick in my neck from straining to see what was coming at me next. I was the last swimmer for a long time but finally caught up to the lady in front of me and then passed two more. I was with the last group of 4 that came out of the water. Made it to the last bouy and by this time it had moved about 100yd away from the starting point. Made the turn and hoped to be home free. WEll I fought the current the whole way back in and the waves would take me for a little while then suck me back out. I finally made it a few feet from shore, but still couldn't stand up and was getting knocked down with only 2 feet to go. Made it to the beach and WALKED all the way back to the boardwalk. The race director was checking on me.
What would you do differently?:

I was waaaaay out of my league and shouldn't have attempted such a feat. My tongue was so parched from the salt water it felt like a pickle! Very nauseated and that night in bed felt like I was still moving in the water, much like I had been on a boat all day.
Transition 1
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

The transition area was empty....well practically! Legs were shakey. I had exerted way more energy than i had planned. I was out there over 45 minutes. I don't have my splits, but as soon as they are posted I will add them.

transition was good...BUT i would have done a better job getting the sand off. I didn't wear socks which was great for me, but on the run it rubbed a little raw spot on the top of my foot
Bike
  • 53m 17s
  • 15 miles
  • 16.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Great bike!! The most fun I've ever had on the bike. I was proud of my attitude after such a terrible swim. I worked hard to keep my pace above 15 miles an hour on the way out and that was difficult at times considering the wind. BUT boy did it make up for it on the way back. I never dropped below 21 on the way back and sometimes got up to 26 mph.

nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m 37s
Comments:

I should have washed more sand off...or put on socks. Helment off grabbed my visor, ripped bike shoes off and slipped into running shoes.

Run
  • 31m 9s
  • 3.25 miles
  • 09m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

Legs were strong...no cramps, nothing like the feeling from my last duathlon. Sure they were dead legs at first or it felt like I was moving in slow motion, but I was pleased with my performance

nothing
Post race
Warm down:

Lane was waiting on me at the finish line and he helped me get the timing chip off, the little girl was rushing me, ha! I smiled for the camera and drank some gatorade.

Nice quant post race party. Free beer, etc, burgers, grilled chicken breasts, slaw and potato salad. We found a good table outside and I ate some chicken while Lane drank a beer. I couldn't stomach one yet. We waited for all the awards to be given out and were just chatting away and then they start calling out things that were vaguely familar to me and low and behold I won 4th in my age group. Apparently there were only 4 of us!! I was the first on on the podium and the announcer asked me what I thought of the swim and handed me the microphone. I told him I felt like a Tsunami victim and he said that he had 'relief' over by the kegs. ha!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

a horrible swim

Profile Album

Last updated: 2005-04-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:40:39 | 600 yards | 06m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/92
Performance: Bad
Suit: orca sleeveless (lifesaver)
Course: JUST FOUND OUT THAT 20-TWENTY PEOPLE BAILED ON THE SWIM! A GUY FROM B'HAM THAT DID THE RACE CALLED AND TOLD ME HIS WIFE COUNTED. OMGosh!! We finally made it out to the beach, there had been terrible thunderstorms all during the night and it delayed the start a little. The bouys were finally in place, but the guys on the wave runners kept having to move them. Apparently the current was so strong that they kept drifting. This was later confirmed. The starting bouy was about 50yds from the boardwalk of the Spinnaker were the race was being held. Swim out to first bouy then across to the next bouy and then back to shore. The finish bouy was equal to the boardwalk when I started the race, but had drifted about 100 yds down the beach by the time I finally got out of the water.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:48
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:53:17 | 15 miles | 16.89 mile/hr
Wind: Headwind
Course: 7.5 out with a headwind and 7.5 back with a GREAT tailwind! Lots of traffic and major condo construction going on. Got a few cat calls from the workers, whoa baby!! Police were at every intersection except my last one. I passed several people....on my mile 5 Lane passed on his way back. I yelled "Go Lane" of course he heard my loud mouth!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:37
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:09 | 03.25 miles | 09m 35s  min/mile
Course: out and back through a residential area. Lane again passed me on his way back, he hollered that I had made up some time and told me I was doing good I passed several people running and several more were walking
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-04-25 9:00 PM

Veteran
Alabama
Subject: Emerald Coast Tri

2005-04-25 9:14 PM
in reply to: #147970

User image

Master
Pensacola, Fl
Subject: RE: Emerald Coast Tri
Once again, I must say......You did GREAT!!! To be as nervous as you were about the swim (and rightfully so) and then to battle through and finish in those conditions is simply amazing!!!! And then to balst through the competition on the bike and run, proved your true abilities. You are die-hard girl....thanks for spotting me some time on the swim, or you would have demolished me on the course!!! I had a great weekend...thanks for the company! I look forward to seeing you again at Memphis in May. Just hope they spot me a little more time on that race or I have a feeling you will come running me down prior to the finish!!!Congrats again on a terrific (yet brutal) race!!!
2005-04-25 9:43 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great job.  Way to go onthe swim in lousy conditions.  It sure was windy here in FL on Saturday.  Glad you enjoyed the rest of the race.  Take care and train hard -SMO
2005-04-25 10:27 PM

User image

Master
Marietta, Ga

Kristi, congratulations.  You perservered.  You conquered.  You finished.  You should be very proud of yourself.  You can take that achievement, and all the confidence that comes with it, and apply it to any situation in your life.  When the waves come crashing around you, just keep on swimming.  You are too cool!

2005-04-26 7:07 AM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL

Way to go Kristi!!  Likewise, your tiara is perfectly in place!!    Great race girlfriend!!

2005-04-26 9:39 AM

User image

Expert
Iowa

It's Official!!! You Rock!! The swim sounds horrendous, but highest admiration to you for fighting off all the mental and actual demons. Sure you could have abandoned the race right there, or bailed out in the middle of the swim, or just quit in T1 ... that would have been easy. You conquered what you feared the most, and then went out and had a great bike and run! Just think, all the rest of your races will seem easy compared to this. Congratulations Kristi on making the best of a difficult situation - and on a podium finish. BTW, did the announcer have  any idea what he was doing when he actually handed you the mike? 

P.S. Love the foto. Kinda reminds me of Mr. Wilson. Nobody really knows what you look like, except perhaps Lane, who did a great job of moral support during the race.

Edited by triman50 2005-04-26 9:41 AM

2005-04-26 9:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plant City, Florida
way to hang in there....sounds like scary conditions on that swim....way to recover and have a great race....we missed you at St. Anthonys....
2005-04-26 5:55 PM

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Holy cow! Reading about that swim it sounds crazy!

Way to stick with it though, and have a great run at the end despite it all.

Now you know you can get it done even in the worst conditioins, so they should all be a breeze from here on out, right?

Again, congrats on sticking it out!

-Chris
2005-04-27 12:55 AM

User image

Expert
Northern VA
WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!! Great job K!!!!! way to hang in there on that swim!Congratulations!
2005-04-27 7:53 AM

Online or Offline

You shouldn't have said you felt like a "Tsunami Victim", instead you were a Tsunami SURVIVOR!

Awesome race, Kristi! Gotta love the catcalls (especially from construction workers) - makes the racing all the more enjoyable!! LOL

2005-04-27 1:07 PM
in reply to: #148776

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Wow, thanks for the best inspiration of the day!

It took courage to complete that swim.  Well done!!!

2005-04-29 9:34 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Manitoba, Canada

WOW Kristi - that is a great race!! 

Not only actually getting into the water, but staying and fighting your way through it!!

Being able to push so hard on the bike after the mental and physical drain of the swim is really fantastic - shows the drive and fortitude you have. You ROCK girl. Thanks for the inspiration here.

2005-04-29 5:38 PM

Master
Boston
Hi Kristi- I enjoyed reading your race report- way to make a great finish. Glad you got to share your experience with another BTer. I had a whole group of em at St. A and it was great to be around people that know what you're going through. Can't wait to read your next race report. You will be a seasoned veteran by then.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Emerald Coast Tri Rss Feed