Musselman Triathlon
70sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 56m 58s
Overall Rank = 391/700
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 29/45
Pre-race routine:

I had been eating up the past several days, so this morning I had visions of the last race dancing in my head (namely, throwing up at the start of the bike). So, I didn't force myself to eat more than a bagel, banana and Gatorade (<-note this moment people, it comes back to haunt me).

Got up up at 5am, got the room packed and went to Seneca State Park. I had planned on swimming 6-6:30am and then standing in the water prior to the race just to keep the legs moving. But, I ended up a half hour behind somehow. The TA was assigned so it wasn't a cut throat rush to get a good spot. I was right on the end. A note was taped to every athletes spot "You've come a long way Sara. You've got 70 more miles in you. Make Binghamton proud."

One of the last notes on my HIM training plan was "You did not put in all that training to be a wallflower" so during my race I repeated "I AM NOT A WALLFLOWER" to keep me from backing off. =) Despite my earlier plan of just sitting back and enjoying the scenery.
Event warmup:

Stretched. Got in to swim free, back, fly, breast and some kicking drills. Not sure how much I got in, 300-400 yards? Could have used more kicking on my side. That drill seems to stretch me out pretty good.
Swim
  • 30m 1s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

=( Frowny face!

As we were being corralled for the swim I felt a tug in my belly, which started to turn into a gnawing feeling. Um, a little early in the race to be hungry, don't you think??

It seems like I had a good swim, but I would have hoped for a better time. I really felt awesome during the swim. Despite clawing myself over and around other swimmers. It felt good to pass LOTS of folks from the first wave. Always felt like I was too far to the right of the buoys.
What would you do differently?:

I'm not to sure. I had people swim on top of me and I swam on top of others, but was I affected by it more than the 6 other chicks in my age group that beat me in the swim? I don't know. I don't know how much help swimming more to the left would have been, either. Usually, when I go around a buoy I am so close that I have to stop kicking so I don't kick people behind me, but staying to the right lets me keep my swim momentum going.
Transition 1
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

Why I was so low on the totem pole rank wise is beyond me. I think I was 17th overall. I usually have trouble getting my suit off my heels quickly, so I guess I gotta get to the point where I don't need to use a hand to get them off of my heels. I bet you that what took time was to grab my nutrition and stuff it in my pocket.

I don't know, does anyone already carry their gels and bars in their tri top under their wetsuit during the swim??
Bike
  • 3h 12m 39s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.44 mile/hr
Comments:

As soon as I mounted my bike... TWO gels AND my CLIF BAR fell out of my back pocket. It didn't hold shit. F^CK! I didn't stop to pick them up because I had faith in the aid stations on the course. Got going and took the one gel I had about 15 minutes into the bike.

I pushed my pace a little because it felt so good to see speeds in the 20s because I AM NOT A WALLFLOWER. Ha! Went back and forth with a gal. She whomped me on the hills, but I'd catch her and pass on the downhills and flat parts.

The aid stations seemed to pop up just as I was starting to get hungry, so I'd grab two gels and a water.

At one point on the bike course a motorcycle pulled a U-turn RIGHT in front of me and I had to break a little or else risk going up his tailpipe. Thanks buddy. THEN he had to slow down to maneuver around a horse and buggy. Doh! He sped off and then it was my turn to go around the buggy. A young Amish (Mennonite?) girl was looking out at me. I gave her a wave and she waved back. Fun. =) The rest of the course consisted of getting passed on the hills and passing people on the flats/downhills.

About an hour and a half in my hip flexers were burning. I just wasn't used to the aero position yet. The pain went away when I'd sit up, so I sacrificed speed for comfort every 15-20 or so. Was more nervous about the pain keeping at it during the run than losing time on the bike.

Definitely wished more cyclists yelled "on the left". There were a couple times that I was on the shoulder, wanting to move over to avoid a jagged edge and someone would be RIGHT there. I heard a few say "oops, sorry!" but is that really going to help if we collide?

Well, considering my plan was to negative split the bike and I ended up just going at a hard pace through out, I don't think I'd change my approach. As always, I need to get better at hills which will be rectified when I start really strength training.

Nutrition. I had entertained the idea of taping a clif bar and gels to my bike and now this will be a no brainer. My gels were caffeinated and this is the first race where I wasn't sucking them down about every 30 minutes.
Transition 2
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Had a short struggle getting the bike back on the rack because I insisted I wanted the handle bars to rest on the rack, but ended up doing just my brakes. My T2 was pretty speedy in comparison (84 overall, 21 female, 11 AG), so I wonder, what on earth were the rest of you doing???

Nutrition...I SAW ANOTHER CLIF BAR AND THREEEEEE GELS STARING AT ME!!! They were not shouting "SARA! SARA! GRAB US!" loud enough, so I pranced off without them...and my water belt.

Just rack the stupid bike. Don't fight the easiest way to drop the sucker off. IF THE GELS ARE THERE GRAB THEM! Whyyyyy didn't I pick them up? They are in shiny gold foil. Aren't girls supposed to be attracted to shiny things???
Run
  • 2h 10m 44s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

Got off the bike and had a short moment of panic. 2 hours to go????!!!!!

I started out BLAZING at LIGHTENING speed (well, almost, I was seeing 8:40s on the Garmin). I really felt good through the first 6 miles, but then the gnawing in my stomach was starting up. At the first aid station I grabbed a hammer gel and it was more solid than I'm used to, so I tried to swallow it too soon with threw me in a coughing fit which made the gels seem unattractive for the rest of the run. I think for the next few aid stations I was just taking wet sponges and water. With four miles to go I started closing my eyes during the run because I was tired...not fatigued or exhausted, but I felt like I just wanted to take a nap (did I get sunscreen in my eyes? were my eyes tired from the suns reflection off of some surface??). THEEEEEEEEEN, I got hungry again.

Hunger, hunger, hunger. I wasn't running to the finish line anymore. I was running to the next aid station! And the next, and then next...Pretzels, crackers, shot blocks, you name it, I was ready for a buffet!

By this time my pace had slowed down to 10:30s or so. Damn. Oh well. Kept one foot in front of the other. At this point just saying I finished would have to do.

Bring those gels with me!! Never underestimate the power of caffeine during a 13 mile run!!!!
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line smiling. I went to sit in one of the ice cold kiddy pools and it felt pretty good. Grabbed my stuff out of the TA and took a shower.

Then, the nausea set in. I don't know why I wanted to yak after being finished for about a half hour. I grabbed a slice of pizza and just couldn't do it (didn't I ask a volunteer at the 11 mile mark for pizza??). REALLY wanted to throw up at this point but wasn't going to do it in a port o potty, the bathrooms were soooooooo far away and there were no bushes that I could hide behind. So, I walked over to the dumpsters, got self conscious and held it in on the walk to the bathroom. I was staggering and a volunteer asked if I needed medical attention and I just told her I'd feel better if I could up chuck. By the time I got to the bathroom I was too tired to go through the process of throwing up, dry heaving, throwing up some more, and feeling drained from that on top of the race.

Ugh.

Got back and decided to get in the car and head home. Recovered by the time we got into Ithaca and waited for Moosewood to open.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't eat enough before the race and during the race. Didn't get enough time in aero on the bike before hand.

Event comments:

This is THE race that all other races will be compared to!! PHENOMENAL organization. Jeff is a supreme race director. I loved all the emails from him from when I registered until the week of the race. Everything was so thorough...maps, directions, meetings, volunteers at the race. I highly, highly recommend the Musselman!

Last updated: 2008-11-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:01 | 2112 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/45
Overall: 100/700
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course: Kind of looked like the reverse "Hangman" game. Out to buoy, parallel to shore then back towards a canal. Some chop. Some seaweed. Etc.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:05
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:12:39 | 56 miles | 17.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 26/45
Overall: 473/700
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Biked from Seneca to Cayuga lakes. Nice paved roads for most of it. The hills were nothing compared to what I expected in my head. Some short climbs, but nothing that made me think "Oh. My. Effing. God." It was a beautiful, scenic course. The fields of corn, the wineries, the lakes...it's all good! The road got pretty rough through Samson (?) State Park. It's an old maintenance road, so isn't kept up. No big pot holes, but my tires definitely didn't roll as quick.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:29
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:10:44 | 13.1 miles | 09m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 32/45
Overall: 451/700
Performance: Below average
Would have helped if I had reset my Garmin from the last time I used it. I reset it when I hit the 1 mile point, but didn't wear the heart strap.
Course: Started out flat, hit a hill that we could use stairs or walk the grass, ran through town, neighbor hoods, had a short jaunt through a gravel section, back to the park. Pumped the run started/finished in a 2+ mile flat paved path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-20 10:34 AM

User image

Master
Dunedin
Subject: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

2009-07-20 11:04 AM
in reply to: #2295888

User image

Master
Rochester, NY
Subject: RE: Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon

Going sub 6 is a far cry from being a wallflower.  Great job!

2009-07-20 11:44 AM

User image

Veteran
Houston
Sarah, so much for enjoying the scenary. Guess why they call it a race and not an excursion!! Great job going sub 6 on your first HIM especially after racing weekend before. I've heard triathletes IQ drops 20-30 pts during a race ("why didn't I pick up the shiny gels"), you probably won't forget the next time. Great race report. Way to go !!!
2009-07-20 12:51 PM

User image

Expert

Awesome job- with the race, and the race report, which had me in stitches!  I have to say I felt a little queasy after the sprint, and blamed it on the nasty channel water.  That's a very strong finish for your first HIM .

2009-07-20 1:40 PM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Sub 6 for your first half on a course that is not the easiest is outstanding!!!!  Great race execution all around!  Nutritien is just something that takes time and experience and you will get that soon enough!!!  With another year of training, I expect sub 12 at LP next year!!!

It was nice to meet you finally in person!!!!

BTW, an experienced fast runner once told me "if you don't feel like puking when you finish, you didn't try hard enough!"

Edited by kenj 2009-07-20 1:41 PM
2009-07-20 2:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Houston, TX
AWESOME race Sara!  Way to push through the hunger pains and finish!  I still don't understand why you weren't ranked higher in the swim either.  You should have been! 

2009-07-20 2:26 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
Damn girl you are a fish.   Nice job!   Awesome run. 
Some how I held that urge to yak at bay.   M-daddy throws up all the time its a sign of pushing to the limit. 
2009-07-20 5:10 PM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Really awesome job finishing under 6hrs!  Especially with the nutrition issues.  I am very impressed.  And don't worry, I feel sick after just about every race I do...not sure how some people just get done and start eating and drinking beer!
2009-07-21 10:00 AM

User image

Pro
Bartlett, TN

Awesome job. Reading your report makes me want to go race!  LOL

2009-07-21 11:38 AM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Great race!!  Reading your RR makes me want to do this race next year.  We'll see about that.  Smile 
Nice meeting you at the BT aid station! 
2009-07-21 6:36 PM

Regular
Sarasota, FL

Do you have a bento box on your bike for the gels and bars?  It really helps.

Polly

2009-07-23 9:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
amazing job!  you really kicked some major butt.  I wish i had an avg swim time of 1min 25 per hundred!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Musselman Half-Iron Triathlon Rss Feed