General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Racine, Wisconsin
United States
HFP Racing
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 05m 39s
Overall Rank = 1016/1206
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 64/82
Pre-race routine:

My prerace routine started on Friday. Went to the expo to sign up Clint's dad for his very first triathlon in the Blue Wave the next day and check in ourselves. Found myself a sweet tri bag while we were there. SCORE!!! Saturday morning we were up and out the door to cheer on Clint's dad. He seemed cool as a cucumber, but who knows what was going on in his brain. Day turned out perfect for him. First in his AG for his first tri. Waaaay cool. And the donkey support out there for him was phenominal. He truly appreciated the company from Pam,Dave and later Clint on his 3.1 mile trek. Off for a yummy lunch at the Yardarm complete with a couple of killer Bloody Mary's with beer chasers. How's that for pre race prep:) Home to wait for Michele and hubcap Brendon and then a delicious dinner made by Clint and Brendon. Clint's brother was in from PA to compete in the HIM as well. It looked like transition in my computer room. Joel, Michele and I were all packing out transition bags at the same time. What a sight. Off to bed by 9:30 and up at 3:45. Out the door by 4:15. Got to the race site by 5:30 so we could set up our borrowed canopy in the donkey corral. Scott and Scott were there setting up there's as well. Our supporters were going to be cheering us on in comfort for sure!! Ate a banana and bagel with peanut butter then headed to transition to start the fun.
Event warmup:

Getting into my wetsuit and walking a mile to the start. Photo ops with a few donks and actually getting in the water before the swim for once. Nice to see Miami with numbers again, and I met MissKelly as well. Joined a group of donkettes out there in the lake as we stood around waiting for our wave. Favorite comment of the morning was from Jenn(docmartin) "Why are you so calm? What did you take this morning and can I have some?" Too funny. Come what may was my attitude.
Swim
  • 33m 55s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 37s / 100 yards
Comments:

It had to be short cuz I never swim this fast. Or, the current was that strong. This might explain the extreme case of dizzies I developed during the swim. Thankfully for most of the swim I could touch bottom cuz I had to stand up to chase that motion sickness feeling away. What was neat about this swim was that I was able to say "hey" to Amyjo and Michele while I was out there. I actually caught them, but lost them when the ickies set in.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe put a patch behind my ear so I don't get sea sick:)
Transition 1
  • 03m 56s
Comments:

Above swim time includes the WALK up the beach to the transition time...THANK GOD! I believe this T time would be 3 minutes longer if the mats would have been right out of the water. I just couldn't get rid of the dizzy feeling, so I took my time taking my suit off and getting my bike gear on. Thought that would be the safe thing to do. Race safe, right:)

Not get dizzy in the water.
Bike
  • 3h 15m 29s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.19 mile/hr
Comments:

So last year I hated the swim. This year I hate the bike. Although I have improved over last year and I beat my goal time of 3.5 hours, I feel I should've done much better on this "flat" course. No climbs to speak of, just rollers, so why do I suck so bad at them? Going to have to do some more hills with those that love them. Seems to work for others.

Train on hills!!! Let my aero bottle fly off so I wouldn't have to stop TWICE to tighten it. Figure out my front deraileur so I wouldn't have to stop to put my chain back on. Use the P-o-Potty before I get on the bike so I don't have to stop to go and then end up having to pull up lake drenched tri shorts. IMPOSSIBLE!!! I swear I could've broken 6 hours if this didn't all happen in the first 15 miles of the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 48s
Comments:

My rack was near the run out. For some reason I decided to walk to my rack. Knew I would need to save every ounce of energy for the run.

Speed things up a little....duh:)
Run
  • 2h 09m 33s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

Walked thru the transition, put my visor on and away I went in search of my donkey friends. I was hoping my swim would be comparable to Amyjo and Michele but I knew they would hand me my arse on the bike. Plan was to go find them on the run. Turns out Amyjo had an awesome ride so she was waaay too far ahead to catch. When I saw her the first time I believe she was about 2.5 miles ahead of me on the run. Set my sights for the pink cape worn by my BFF Michele. She passed me on her way to the end of the first loop. Worked hard to catch her so I could run with her. Finally caught her around the zoo. We ran down the hill together and were greeted by and EEEEAAAAWWWSOME donkey corral. So cool to be able to run with her for a while. Excellent photo's taken by Craig too. I was feeling awesome and she told me to go ahead, she wanted to say hey to her family before she started on loop two. With my still "fresh" legs I kept on a movin' and pushed myself up both those hills. I made sure I kept cool during the entire race, dumping water that was so cold over my head every few miles. No sun, but boy was it hot. Tried some Heed, but way too sweet for me. Stuck with the salt tabs and a couple of gels. Had to pee around mile 9. Swore the guy in the loo knew I was out there and wanted to sabatoge my sub 2 half mary. It seemed I was waiting forever. Just about to say forget it when he finally came out. When I finally did get in there it felt like the john was gonna tip over. And trying to pull up soggy wet tri shorts is no fun either. Oh well, it was relief I needed. Feeling dizzy around mile 11 so I helped myself to some oreo's. YUMMY!! Saw the Bauer's out on their EXTRA 4 mile run and Jeanne turned around to run with me. Needed that. Talking with her took my mind off the race and put me in cruise control. Chris came flying up behind us at the zoo and the two of them sent me on to my final finish. Down the hill I went. Clint was walking up the hill to cheer me on to my victory, so nice to see him again. Ahhh, such a sweet sight to see the finish line, knowing that I didn't have to turn around right before it to make another loop. That's just mean by the way. The donkey's were louder than ever, as most of them have finished up their races, so it was sweet to run by and in to the finish. Cool to hear "Welcome back TRIDONKAI Terri Weninger" from the announcer. FIL Fred and SIL Shannon were at the finish waiting for me. Hugs and high fives to be had and then my medal and finishing water. Photog at the end of the chute pulled me aside for a final shot with numbers on my arm.

Nothing. I can't believe I had this in me after all the miles I just biked and swam. I honestly think that seeing all the donks out there, all the high fives, hugs and smooches (from Clint of course) and reading all the inspires chalked along the way kept me going. I was definately proud to be a donkey this day, my friends.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to the corral to cheer on Michele and other donks/bt'ers that were coming in. So happy to see Michele finish in a much faster time than she anticipated. She totally handed cancer it's walking papers. Not a dry eye at the donkey corral, I tell ya. Changed out of my drenched clothes, made myself a sandwich cuz the bbq looked disgusting and the pizza was gone:(

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stopping to pee.

Event comments:

Excellent race, great volunteers, great venue.

Last updated: 2008-11-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:55 | 2112 yards | 01m 37s / 100yards
Age Group: 69/82
Overall: 1092/1206
Performance: Good
Suit: Full Nineteen
Course: Along the shoreline.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 59F / 15C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:56
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:15:29 | 56 miles | 17.19 mile/hr
Age Group: 66/82
Overall: 1093/1206
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: 56 miles of bumpity bumpity. Thank goodness my name isn't Humpty.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:48
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:09:33 | 13.1 miles | 09m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 46/82
Overall: 851/1206
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back for two loops of fun:)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-21 3:54 PM

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Subject: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon

2009-07-21 4:10 PM
in reply to: #2299700

User image

Elite
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon

Awesome race Terri! You totally rocked your first HIM! So proud of you.  I was checkin my back the whole run...I figured I would see you at some point.  So when you signing up for IM...

2009-07-21 4:12 PM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

BLOODY MARYS??!!  You lucky, lucky girl!

Oh, so dang close to that that 6 hour mark, too.  SHOOT!

As far as I could tell, Terri, you were looking quite strong and fresh!  Great seeing you on Sunday!

EEEAAAWWW, Donkette!  A very fine performance!

2009-07-21 4:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Great Race Terri!
2009-07-21 4:40 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

FREAKIN EEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW BABY!!!!! way to kick your first HIM right square in the jabba's!!!!

YOU ROCK!!!

2009-07-21 4:46 PM

User image

Expert
Oak Creek, WI
Congrats Terri...  Awesome race out there...  just stop with all of this going to the bathroom stuff...!!! 

great seeing you as well...

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Nice work Terri!  Awesome to see both you and Clint out there.

Try ear plugs for the swim.  I had serious dizzy issues--to the extent of feeling pukey--last time I did this race.  Started wearing silicone ear plugs for longer swims after that and have been fine ever since.

User image

Master
Elm Grove

Great Job Terri and once again, that will teach you to make a bet with me

2009-07-21 5:12 PM

User image

Master
Muskego, WI
Fantastic job Terri!! We all knew you had it in you...and you did just great, and looked good doing it!!
2009-07-21 5:33 PM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
EXCELLENT job miss Terri! You are just knocking down the milestones this year like nobody's business.
2009-07-21 7:05 PM

User image

Expert
NW Suburbs, Illinois
Great Race Terri!  Almost as good as your after race snacks

Seriously, great debut and awesome attitude!

2009-07-21 8:35 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Congrats on your first half ironman! Great job out there!

It was nice to meet you before the race and wonderful to see you on the bike and the run. It was good to see someone friendly when I needed it.
2009-07-22 7:32 AM
in reply to: #2300342

User image

Master
Madison, WI

You did awesome out there Terri - and this better not be your last HIM - I want a repeat performance next year!

As for the dizzies - I take half a meclazine before races. It's non-drowsy dramamine. Cheap, over the counter, and works great!

2009-07-22 9:09 AM

User image

Master
Living in the past
Whatch mean, "possibly last HIM..."?! You rocked this and will only get better from here on. I guess we could let this be your last HIM, but that means you're signing up for MOO in 2010, right?!

Well done and congrats on kickin' the goal time in the arse.
2009-07-22 1:06 PM

User image

Great job Terri! Great to see you and Clint as always!
2009-07-22 9:16 PM

User image

Veteran
WOW!!! Way to go Terri - sounds like you totally rocked it!  Congrats!

2009-07-23 10:03 AM

User image

so i count myself as one of those 'hill-loving training partners.' ha. and we will CONTINUE to train together to conquer the beast next year. you had a stellar day girl!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spirit of Racine Half Ironman Triathlon Rss Feed