General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spouse as training partner – different ability levels Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-08-05 9:10 AM

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: Spouse as training partner – different ability levels

I currently live in MN but for the last 4 months I have been working on temporary assignment in my company’s Denver office.  I decided I was going to train for a triathlon about 2.5 months ago and while living away from my wife and friends(all still in MN) certainly was not ideal it did allow me to dedicate a lot of time to training.  I have seen great improvements over these last couple of months and it has gotten me really excited about this sport.  Last week I moved to back to MN and, as I knew it would be, the adjustment of fitting training back into a full life/schedule has been a little difficult.  My wife really wants to work out with me and MAYBE some day down the line get into triathlons as well but right now she just wants to get into shape.  Of course I really want to help her with this goal but I cannot figure out a good way for us to work out together.  She used to run a lot several years ago but now can only run about 1-2 miles max and does zero biking or swimming.  I on the other hand have pushed past the sprint race distances in my training and am starting to build up for Olympic distances next year.  I hate to just drop her and go on my own because I think she is looking for me to push her and keep her focused.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can help motivate and support her while also keeping my own goals in mind?

On a side note I have read this forum religiously since I started training and the information I have found here has been incredibly helpful.  Thanks to all, and I look forward to hearing any opinions you may have to offer.

2009-08-05 9:22 AM
in reply to: #2329212

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Spouse as training partner – different ability levels
That's so nice that she wants to join you! Lots of men on here would love to have your issue.

If she can run 1-2 miles, have her join you for just 1-2 miles. Then you continue on with your workout.

If she is slower... have her join you on your longer run days. So you will be going a slower pace.

Or maybe she joins you for speed work and you do it on a treadmill beside her.

You could also go to a track and run. That way you are both in the same area working out, but you don't have to keep each other's pace.

You could also look into her riding her bike beside you while you run. If she just wants to get on a cruiser/hybrid/moutain bike... she could do that while you run. If you run trails, she could ride them.

2009-08-05 9:23 AM

User image

Veteran
Longview
Since you are wanting to train for longer distances and she is just getting started why don't you guys start together and when she needs to stop let her stop and you keep going.  Both of you get the benefit that you are needing.

Or use your recovery days as training days with her. 

There definitely is a way to make it happen but only you and her can truly work that out. 
2009-08-05 9:29 AM

User image

Veteran
Maybe this isn't totally ideal, but if you both joined the same gym, maybe you could go and work out together a couple times a week in a way that you could do your own pace and distance while she could be right next to you doing her own pace and distance. 

For instance, if you wanted to do 5 miles that day which would take you 40 minutes, she could do a 2.5 mile walk/run one the next treadmill over during that same 40 minutes.  You'd be spending time together, encouraging her to get fit again, without being hampered by the fact that for now she is slower and/or not able to do distance with you.  Then maybe by spring she will be able to hang with you during outdoor training.  Same with swimming and biking.
2009-08-05 9:35 AM

User image

Master
Almaden Valley, San Jose, California
This a tough issue - but wonderful that the opportunity has arisen!  My husband has been training for 5 years,  raced dozens of times, and did his first IM last August.  I started training, from the couch, last October.  I probably do 1/3 to 1/2 of my training with him.  It's made me faster, and he says it's helped him out, too.  Probably because I'm much less resentful of the time he's training!  He doubles back for me running and biking sometimes, or adds on 'loops' for extra mileage.  As time goes by, he's having to do less and less of that. We're not that far off in the running.  I swam years ago, so it didn't take long for that to equal out - besides, it's easy to just be in the same pool.

I call my hubby Coach K - for Kevorkian - because there are times it feels like he's trying to help me kill myself!  85 HILLY Miles?!?

The goods outweigh the bads - we're having fun, spending lots of time together, 'get' the time the other one needs to train alone or with others, and sharing a BIG common interest.  And long term, the marriage should be the priority.   She'll never forget the time you took to help her get started, and how much impact will it really have on your long term training, anyway?

I've done my first oly and first HIM, and I'll be doing IMWI in 5 weeks.

Good Luck! Cool

Edited by velcromom 2009-08-05 9:39 AM
2009-08-05 9:38 AM

User image

Make a loop that goes 2 miles, run that together. For you it is a warm up, for her the whole workout. Go as slow as she is comfortable with. After she stops continue with your workout.

Doing a track workout? Have her come and run the rest intervals with you, these can add up quick.

When she is fitter, have her do her hard days on your easy days.

2009-08-05 9:40 AM

User image

Expert
here's what we do...  We try to train together a few times a week at least, often it's seperate just cause we have two kids so sometimes you just have to split up the free time, you know?  Our paces are not quite as different as it sounds like yours are, but I bet your wife will catch up in a few months.

When we do train together, if it's a run we go to the track (there's a high school a few minutes from our house with a nice new running surface).  We can go our own paces and say 'hi' every once in a while.  Or at least look accross the track at the other one...  As a bonus, the kids can bring a few toys and play on the infield, or watch lacross practice (or whatever happens to be going on at the time).

For swimming, we all go to the pool.  One of us stays with the kiddo's in the play area while the other swims laps.  Then switch.

For biking, she rides solo, I have a kid or two on a tag-a-long attached to my mountain bike.  That evens out our speeds pretty well so we can easily ride together.

lastly, we have two cardio type machines at home in the garage.  After the kiddo's are in bed, we can go out there together, crank out an hour side by side at our own pace, and get in a little mindless TV watching at the same time.  Winner all around!
2009-08-05 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2329249

User image

Veteran
Indianapolis
KSH - 2009-08-05 9:22 AM That's so nice that she wants to join you! Lots of men on here would love to have your issue. If she can run 1-2 miles, have her join you for just 1-2 miles. Then you continue on with your workout. If she is slower... have her join you on your longer run days. So you will be going a slower pace. Or maybe she joins you for speed work and you do it on a treadmill beside her. You could also go to a track and run. That way you are both in the same area working out, but you don't have to keep each other's pace. You could also look into her riding her bike beside you while you run. If she just wants to get on a cruiser/hybrid/moutain bike... she could do that while you run. If you run trails, she could ride them.

x2 on this. That is a great idea. You are very lucky. From personal experience, I don't think it's a good idea to drop her after the 1-2 miles. Unless you can do an out and back loop to where she is back at your house. My ex and I ran together and I did that. She never said a word about it, until we were in break up mode, then it came out of her one day when I was trying to get us to do something together. Turns out she really didn't like that.  I like the bike thing. Run with her on your short run days, or have her bike next to you. I think it should be about time together first, training second.  Then if she gets the bug, she may dive into her own training plan. That's my opinion.
2009-08-05 9:59 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland

My husband and me both do Triathlons and we both train a lot but unfortunately we hardly ever train together.

Speeds are just so different (he is super fast and I am slow).

We bike together maybe once every 2 weeks when he needs a recovery ride but I usually feel guilty even that of keeping him from going faster and makes me feel bad that I can´t keep up so we don´t do it too often.

We never run together - just not possible.

But we go to the pool together once or twice a week and while we both do our individual workouts at least we have some time afterwards to sit and relax in the Hot Pots.

In the beginning it really bumped me out that we can hardly train together but you get used to it and doing most of my training alone I am usually very prepared for the TRIs and the race just with myself against myself.

Some of the others have given lots of good ideas. But if you run or bike with her, never make her feel as if she is slowing you down because that probably does not make her feel to good...do it only if you really want to.

Otherwise it might help if she finds another training buddy with the same speed.

2009-08-05 10:07 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

I think it's great that she is interested to start running again,, and even more so wants to be with working out with you.

the good news is that even though she is only doing a couple of miles now, she will get faster and be able to work up to longer distances.   I see someone mentioned track workout, and having her bike while you run, but she might be faster on the bike than you can run or soon will be.  

You mentioned that she used to be a runner so it should come back to her and I'm sure she already realizes that people have different paces.    Is there a loop that the both of you could do to get her 1-2 miles in, and you would treat that as a warm up.  
  While most people dislike treadmills, do you both go to a gym where you could run side by side??

whatever you do remember she is your wife and wants to spend time with you in a healthy way... that is a really great thing

2009-08-05 10:13 AM

User image

Master
Breckenridge, CO
BJC - 2009-08-05 8:10 AM
Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can help motivate and support her while also keeping my own goals in mind?

Back when me and my wife were both training seriously we used to play a game on the bike and run. She'd get a head start of X minutes and I'd try to catch her. If I caught her, I'd do the rest of the workout with her and the next time the head start would be Y seconds longer. If I didn't, the next head start would be Z seconds shorter.

It was always "her choice" how much of the workout we'd do togther since I almost always pushed hard to catch her and she could just slow down and let me. Knowing I was catching her gave her a sense of security as well.

One of these sessions ended my previous "career" as a triathlete. On the bike one day I never caught her which she thought was odd. And then seeing an ambulance near our house got her worrried. A phone message on our machine cleared everything up. I'd had a severe crash taking a curve too fast less than two miles from our house. Surgeries and lots of rehab later, it was a good two years before I could do any training again. Instead of pursuing Triathlon training again, I moved to Colorado and took up mountain type activities seriously.

Now, she's very active but not competitive. I love to ride/run with her so I'll often do a hard session before my ride/run with her. Or I'll make sure the day before is a hard/long day so I'll need the active recovery while I go slow with her.

Edited by breckview 2009-08-05 10:18 AM

2009-08-05 10:18 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
I'm in the same boat as Joblin... my boyfriend and I both race but we are vastly different speeds (except in the pool).
What we will do is go to a weekly local running group where there are all levels of ability. He will run with the fasties up front and I usually bring up the rear with the old guys . But it's still a social event where we arrive together and he chats with others while he waits for me to finish.

We also ride together once every week or so. It is typically a recovery/easy ride for him and part of his training plan. We will also go to group rides together similar to the run situation above... he will ride with the fasties and wait for me to finish at the end.

And in the pool, well, we are about the same speed and always trying to beat each other

2009-08-05 10:42 AM

User image

Pro
Bellingham, WA
Welcome to BT Brett. That is great that your spouse wants to train and you should support and nurture that. While it may seem burdensome at times, in the long run you will both be better off. She may surprise you after getting some base training in and give you a run for your money.

My wife and I started together about a year and a half ago. While I take it much more seriously and train twice as much she has stuck with it and has improved pretty dramatically. As far as differences in abilities and how we deal with that, swimming is really not an issue in the pool as we usually try to share a lane. She does her thing and I do mine. OWS practice I'll try to keep an eye on her but she's pretty much on her own. For running, I'll do my recovery runs with her and if she wants to go when I'm doing something longer I'll run the first couple miles with her as a warmup and than meet back up at home or the car. Biking is probably the toughest to stay together. We are about 5 MPH different and I just feel like I am walking if we stay together. I'll grin and bear it once a week or so on a recovery ride. Its probably a good thing though because I have a hard time holding back on my bike and it forces me to actually get some recovery in.
2009-08-05 11:13 AM

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
I wish I had your problem!  Mrs gearboy is supportive, and did an adventure race with me once, but decided she can't really swim or run, so tri's are not in her future. 

I would think about either using the gym idea, or make your easy days be her hard days.  Then her easy day is your hard day, and you train separately, or use her training as your cool down.
2009-08-05 11:44 AM

User image

Champion
MA
I've been doing tris since '04 and my husband started training in December.

It was tough at first as he wanted to do everything with me and it really didn't fit into my plan as I am training for IM he was just starting out. I have a coach and always follow the plan as exactly as possible.

Things that worked out well...

Swim dates...we'd often share a lane and we could do our own thing..early on it meant helping him more. He would swim then do other workout at the Y while I' finished my workout.

Riding: He'd come along while I do my zone 1 or zone 2 rides or a portion of them. He has come a long way in last 6 months. Our 14 year old daughter rides with him a lot and sometimes the three of us ride together but it means more stopping than I'd like.

Running: When I do my long runs he'll come for maybe one loop with me. I prefer end to have something to look forward but he prefers to come in the beginning. We are closely paced running so he can come along when

Y dates: We'd go the Y and each do our own thing but drive to and from together and chat some there

Open water swims are tough now as we are far different paces so we do some alone and then some together in same area.

It took about 2-3 months to get it to work well. For me I saw my husband needed my support to get started but once he got going, gained fitness and confidence he did more and more alone. So hang in there and help her now as she needs it now and you can be the key to help her be successful.

2009-08-05 11:54 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canyon Hills (Lake Elsinore), CA

My wife is getting ready to train for her first tri and we have worked out together off and on for years.  I've found that it's better for her to join me at the end of a run then the begining.  It let's me focus on my run and it's lets up finish together which is good for her moral.  Bike works the same way and swimming isn't a problem.

2009-08-05 12:09 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
I have the same situation.  My husband is much faster than I am, so training together is tough.  We plan out our workouts for the week so that we are swimming on the same days.  Who cares that he does 3k when I can only do 2k?  We're still in the same pool.  Running and biking are more of a challenge.  Often we start an out and back run at the same time and while he may go 8 miles, I only do 5 miles.  We're both running for time instead of distance, so that works out.  On the bike, he gets an easy recovery ride while I'm stuck in zone 3 trying to keep up.  Sometimes, he'll stay with me for the first half of a loop, then go ahead and meet me back at home.  I keep trying to find faster people for him to train with, but he isn't interested. 
2009-08-05 12:16 PM

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Yep, I'm another person in the same situation. My SO is faster than me. We can ride together for recovery rides, or if the ride isn't too hilly, I "motorpace" off of him. It's good training. We can also do an out and back (or uphill and down) route together, so that if I get dropped, I just get back on when I see him on the back portion.

2009-08-05 12:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
My husband isn't training for tri's but he is very active so we have been doing some training together. This is how we handle it:

We do all of our biking together even though he is quite a bit faster and more experienced than I am. I'm lucky that he's been focusing on helping me get comfortable on the road (I'm a biking newbie) and will ride behind me and coach me on how to approach a certain section of road. He pushes me outside my comfort zone and my goal is to eventually be able to hang with him at his speed.

He's not a runner but he will occasionally come with me on my shorter (4 miles and less) runs. He'll run the route that we pick out and I'll run ahead and then back to him several times throughout the course of the run. We get to stay together for some of it and I get in some additional distance/speed work.

He doesn't swim at all really but came to the pool with me once when I was doing 2000 meters. I feel bad because he got really bored and spent most of his time in the jacuzzi. I did learn that day that he doesn't know how to swim freestyle so at some point I want to teach him.

I think it's really trial and error as to what will work well for you and what won't. We've been married less than a year and don't have kids so we're still pretty attached at the hip.
2009-08-05 12:32 PM

User image

Champion
Northridge, California

I try to find as many opportunities to train with my wife as possible.  She's close to my ability in the swim, less close on the bike...and miles behind me on the run.  So we opt for as much stuff where we can be together as we can realistically schedule.

Going to the pool together from time-to-time works...early morning at the local pool, we often can split a lane.  Partnering on ocean swims is fine...I'm usually not concerned with speed there and she's very close anyway.

Biking, I'll sometimes ride with her for her long rides and stay at her pace, esp. if we can incorporate some hills.  Or on my IM training rides, I'll do the first, say 40 miles alone on a loop where I can pick her up for a 50-mile segment (she just did her first HIM).  Or the reverse:  Start with her for 50 and drop her off at home and continue solo.

Running is pretty tough to do together:  When she was first starting to run three years ago, I'd sometimes go out with her as a second run of the day.  More recently, we've adopted a strategy of doing weekend long runs on the same loop course...she'll do fewer miles than me, but we start and finish at our car in the lot at that park.  A couple times when she had a tough "milestone" run planned (first-ever 8 miler was one and recently her first 20-miler before first marathon), I've opted to schedule my training so that I can run with her.

This past weekend was pretty cool:  Her first HIM on the same course I was doing my first IM.  Only saw each other once on the course due to differing start times for the two races, but great to have trained up together to those milestones.

2009-08-05 1:26 PM

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO

My husband and I do group rides on Sundays so we can go our own speeds while still riding w/ others.  If it's just Ted and I riding, I loop back for him regularly if he's riding easier than I want to.

Swimming together is easy at the pool, obviously.  He makes sure I don't drown in OWS which means he gets to tread water lots -- I'm slow!

Running together only happens at the track -- he walks and I run.  Neither of us likes that much -- too boring!  On my longest runs he'll ride his mtn bike alongside to keep me company and refill my water, but usually I run w/ my dog.

For my races, he volunteers so he's not bored standing around all day.

It's easier for us since I'm the one with the training plan and racing and he's very easygoing and happy to do whatever.  My training makes sure he gets out more than he would on his own.

2009-08-05 2:09 PM
in reply to: #2329921

Great ideas here.  My hubby and I used to train together too.  When the kids came it became the exact opposite unless we were going for a long ride and he pulls a trailer with the bigger child and the gear and I pull a trailer with the smaller one and no gear. 
When we trained together it was good for both of us and we used most of the suggestions told here.  We did a few organized rides too (centuries and the like) and just made sure we were in the same pace line of people and stopped at the same rest stops.  I also did a ton of bike riding next to him carrying his drinks when he was training for IM. 
Just one word of caution: Dont leave her behind (running or biking) If you have to end early, swimng by the house and then go out again or just slow down, it is much better than her being left behind all by herself.  Also,  When she goes faster than you for the first time be happy for her. 
2009-08-05 2:19 PM

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
I dated a guy a lot faster than me.  When I would run with him it would be a tempo/speed workout for me and a nice easy run or recovery run for him.  It worked.  But obviously it doesn't work every day.

I would never expect my SO or spouse to do every training session with me...different paces and different goals.  Support each other by jockstrapping or whatnot...you don't need to train together all the time.

But as others have suggested...her "run" could be your "warmup" or "cooldown".  Or you could plan to be at the gym at the same time....
2009-08-05 2:26 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Some good suggestions for joint training.  The warm-up/cool-down period is an opportunity for a slower spouse to join in the fun.  Other times, spend some of the "leisure time" focusing on drills and technique.  On the bike, you can do some one-legged drills or high-cadence spinning without riding away from someone.  Be consciencious about how your slower spouse perceives these drills and avoid a "show off" attitude.  Load down the bike with the trailer and kids, or extra gear for the two of you.  Running?  Carry the water bottles and run ahead or loop around to get water for the two of you, just keep the time away to a minimum (1-2 minutes).  Ride along while you run can be a great start. 

Remember you are partners.  Most of us are not coaches and while we may know a lot about what we are doing, professional coaching is far cheaper than either marriage counseling or divorce attorneys.  Those of you who are coaches, you can decide whether to take on your spouse as a client. 

2009-08-06 12:01 AM

User image

Master
The Whites, New Hampshire
I'm having the exact same issue with my BFF. We are training to run a race together next year, and while I've been running off and on for two and a half years, she's JUST starting out. So we generally do one workout a week together - I call it active recovery, and while I'm not getting as much of a workout as I'd like, I see this period as solely bringing out training in line until we can work together.

Funny thing is, she whips my booty up hiking trails!

I think we're going to start heading to the track, though. I can't keep losing out on a workout a week, and she's feeling like she's dragging me down (which I haven't said to her AT ALL, but you pick up on these things, ya know?).

I'm also thinking of finding a one-mile loop. She can do as many loops as her plan calls for, I can do mine, and we'll see each other as we cross. Then, she can chill while I finish mine, then we go get ice cream!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Spouse as training partner – different ability levels Rss Feed  

of 2