EndorFun
hotF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 35m 52s
Overall Rank = 544/2500?
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 76/185
Pre-race routine:

Stayed in Concord about a 50 minute drive to Gunstock before taking shuttle to race site. I woke up at 3:30AM, drank a 5hr energy and a bottle of water, took a shower and checked out. On the drive up I ate a cliff bar and drank some more water. On the shuttle I nibbled on another cliff bar and finished it once I got to the site. I set-up and waited around for the late start because of the car accident. Talked to some guys in my age group and met a couple of cool guys (one from Branford who I might ride with). Hung out with Aaron and shot the sh*t.
Event warmup:

Once they told us to go down to the beach, I walked over with Aaron carrying my wetsuit since neither of us were going off right away. I took a Gu and drank some more water. Once the pros went off I started putting my wetsuit on and went in the water and swam around a minute to get used to the temp and stay cool while I waited another 20 minutes to start. I'm not really into warming up for a race this long. I just use the swim as my warm up.
Swim
  • 36m 32s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim went perfect for me. I avoided getting excited and going anaerobic in the beginning. I went super easy to start (maybe a little too easy) and then sped up as I approached the first buoy. Took the corner tight and didn't get caught up at all, coasted to the next buoy and had another perfect corner after "moving" someone out of my way from a wave ahead of me who was blocking me. On the approach to the beach, I bursted for the first half and then slowed way down to ease into T1.

My sighting was better than it has ever been. Minimal course correcting. No tangles with others. I didn't find anyone to draft off but didn't care really. I passed people from the waves ahead of me and the people in my wave who were fading pretty easily and stayed where the water was clear to avoid getting tangled up.

If anything, I probably could have swam harder, but that would have only been another minute or so off the time and probably not worth the effort. This is really the way I envisioned myself swimming and executed it well.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. This was good for me. Actually most happy about this then any other leg of the race. Swimming a 36:30 while not pushing for a guy who couldn't swim 50 meters in January is a victory for me. Especially considering I don't really swim that much for training.
Transition 1
  • 04m 16s
Comments:

T1 for a half. Didn't feel that much urgency. It was a long jog back to my bike from the water exit so I took it fairly slow and then too my time drying my feet off and putting my shoes on, knowing I was going to be in the saddle for a solid chunk of time. I slapped on my garmin and was wearing the strap on the swim. It was fine and I took it slow by design.

Probably hurry a little more, but I didn't want to over do it.
Bike
  • 2h 40m 42s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.91 mile/hr
Comments:

This was good. Executed as planned. My ending time was on the high end of what I was expecting for the level of effort I put in, but the course was not a super fast one and I would have had to push too hard to get into that 21.5-22.0 range. I taped 5 Gu's to the crossbar and had a bottle of accelerade to start off with a cliff bar about 5 miles in. The I plucked off the Gu's as I went while living off the course on a couple bottles of gatorade endurance formula and 3 or 4 bottles of water. It started getting hot at the end so I took it really easy the last ten miles.

The passing was a little annoying at times being in Wave 11. I probably passed about a 1000 people or so and it was just annoying to constantly be yelling at people to move over when they were pretending to pass people who they were going 0.002 mph faster then. Most of the course had a good amount of room though so it was good.

I saw the Swede and Andy Potts catching him on a downhill which was cool on their way back. They were smoking down a hill. I saw all of the others trailing too further back.

I rented 808s and they were cool on the fast parts.

One big note is on mile 49-50 I see someone down laying there with a cop there at an intersection that I thought might have been Aaron. I was going about 25 around a turn so couldn't see too clearly but I yelled to see if it was him and the guy I passed around the turn said he got a good look and said he saw him smiling, so with that I just coasted back the last 5 miles or so being thankful I didn't flat or crash and have my race ruined...

Volunteers were awsome.

Nothing. Drive the course beforehand maybe. It wasn't really rocket science. Just a decent paced ride and nutrition by feel which seemed to be about right.
Transition 2
  • 04m 6s
Comments:

My lower back was a little sore getting off the bike from staying in a tight aero position the whole way. I was sort of amazed at how many people have these nice tri bikes and ride on the horns...give me your bike man! Kills the purpose of the bike doesn't it? You are just riding a bike that weighs more than a road bike for no reason...anyway

I had to piss so bad, I waited at the port-o body near the exit for about a minute. The women in front of me just let me go ahead of her which was cool. She said something nice and that it didn't really matter for her...The extra minute was probably a good thing anyway.

Hurry more? I don't think it's worth it though with my level of fitness to scream through T2 to start a tough run.
Run
  • 2h 10m 19s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

I started my run maybe a little too hard. My legs were a little wishy washy, but I still had some power. I did an 8:40 or something the first couple and then started getting really hot and was taking water misting and ice and sponges whenever I could. I plugged along an finished my first loop in about 1:02 which I was happy with. At this point I was still pumping myself up and saying I could negative split this thing and maybe get under 2...haha, ya right. About a mile after that I started feeling nausious. I had taken a couple of course Gus down with some gatorade and water at the beginning couple of stations but think that was the right move. I think I was at the point where I was just hot and tired and getting dydrated, but my body was sick of processing more fluids. I'm a heavy sweater as it is, so I know I need to keep the fluids coming. I ran through it and it was fine but just uncomfortable and I did a slow jog and then walked the stations for a couple miles. At mile 9ish my quads told me they were done and I walked for about a quarter mile until I literally slapped myself in the face and made myself do a pathetic sort of interval run on the home stretch that was a mix of running and walking. I knew if I just walked I'd be pissed at myself so I tried to get it done.

Not weigh close to 190lbs. I was 220 in January though. Maybe have a real running base would help :) This was about what I expected and based on some decent runners times, who suffered a little too, I'll take it. I wasn't alone.

Low end of my range. I really don't strive for low end of my range. I vow to destroy this run time on the next half I do. Mark my words.
Post race
Warm down:

Freaking awsome when I get to finish and eveone is cheering and then Chrissy Wellington puts the finisher medal on me. I thought that was pretty cool. I just walked around. Caught up with Aaron and checked out his bike and road rash that was pieces. We went for a quick swim to cool down and then pigged out. Good food and no big line which was nice.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Basically, my level of training.

Overall, coming from 220lbs in January and not even owning a bike (only bike I've owned was a mountain bike when I was 13 years old prior to the bike I bought in February) or being able to swim more than a lap or even run more than 3 miles straight, I've come along way. I generally have high expectations so am not thrilled, but taking a step back, it is a good performance for me personally considering where I was about 6 months ago.

I think if I stay with it, I can get faster.

Event comments:

Awsome race. I couldn't have picked a better one for my first half (except maybe an easier and cooler climate course). But the race is awsome and I'll do it again.

Last updated: 2009-06-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:36:32 | 2112 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/185
Overall: 756/2500?
Performance: Good
Suit: Desoto Speedtube and Speedvest
Course: Beautiful clockwise swim. Great course, beautiful water.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:16
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:40:42 | 56 miles | 20.91 mile/hr
Overall: 0/2500?
Performance: Average
Avg heart rate came in at 149 which is in the range I was targeting. Max heart rate was 171 one the monster no doubt, or my biggest descent where I hit 51 MPH. Those 808s were freaking singing and I was passing people like they were standing still. A little adrenaline rush...anyone wrong section.
Wind: Some
Course: Course was fair. I should have probably driven it first. The beginning and end had hills and the middle 35ish was good and I cruised at about 24ish mph for alot of the middle. Those hills crush your avg speed though.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:06
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:10:19 | 13.1 miles | 09m 57s  min/mile
Overall: 0/2500?
Performance: Below average
Avg heart rate 156, Max heart rate 169. On the low end overall. I was more held back by stomach twisting and severe quad tightening after mile 7.
Course: Fair. Sort of rolling. Actually, it is easier than the course around my house I think and just had one biggish hill that wasn't even that bad. It was the weather and what I did before it I think that made the run hard.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-24 1:06 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Subject: Timberman - Half Iron

2009-08-24 1:16 PM
in reply to: #2366982

User image

Master
syracuse
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron
nice race!

sounds like you had a blast....!!
2009-08-24 1:23 PM

User image

Peachtree City, GA

Awesome job!!! That was a blazing bike leg and to still be able to avg better than 10 min miles was great.

2009-08-24 1:26 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-08-24 1:40 PM

Elite
Connecticut
Great job out there Jason.  You looked strong all day long.  You'll kill the run on your next one for sure!
2009-08-24 2:26 PM

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Dood, great great job!!!!  nice work and a killer bike!!!!  You rocked it!!!

2009-08-24 6:10 PM

Extreme Veteran
Connecticut
You killed it!..awesome job..don't feel bad about your run at all. Those conditions were brutal!!..and geeeez you've only done what one sprint before!?! Natural talent kiddo!! Just wait until you have a few under your belt!!...IM next year???

I think I did  see Aaron's accident fall out now that you mention it. There was a bike lying in front of a cop car and someone that looks alot like him standing talking to the cops on the other side of the car..having never met him..I didn't realize who it was! Wow good thing he is ok!

Yeah and that traffic going home stunk..I don't know whether to be happy or sad I don't live in MA anymore!!..Thankfully Erica did the driving not sure my legs could have stayed in one position that long without cramping up!
2009-08-25 7:01 AM

Regular
New York City
Great work. Your race pretty much echoed mine in almost every respect - I think my race report will look very similar when I post it.

Awesome achievement considering you only started SBR'ing in January - well done!
2009-08-25 7:41 AM

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow

www.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.wswww.bigoo.ws
Glittery texts by bigoo.ws

I am in AWES of you!! Had no idea you just started  swimming and biking!!
You have a VERY promising tri career ahead of you!!
It was great to meet you!     

Edited by aquagirl 2009-08-25 7:42 AM
2009-08-25 7:42 AM

Master
White Plains NY
great job!
2009-08-25 9:12 AM

Elite

Awesome race. Really glad we were able to meet up pre/post race. Probably would have just been sitting around, good to shoot the sh*t. Next year you will be right at 5hours. Really good race.

2009-08-25 9:15 AM

Champion
New York, NY
Fantastic job!!! you rocked the course!!!!!!

next year hopefully I will too!!!
2009-08-27 12:21 PM

Regular
NYC
"Swimming a 36:30 while not pushing for a guy who couldn't swim 50 meters in January is a victory for me."

Wow! This is amazing. Way to go. Congrats on a great race...!
2009-09-04 12:37 PM

Master
Breckenridge, CO
Wow, that's an incredible performance considering, "coming from 220lbs in January and not even owning a bike..." Sounds to me like you're a natural talent! You're going to get MUCH faster.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman - Half Iron Rss Feed