General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deeper Reason For Doing Triathlon and Endurance Sports Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-08-27 11:33 AM
in reply to: #2373997

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Subject: RE: Deeper Reason For Doing Triathlon and Endurance Sports
Leegoocrap - 2009-08-27 11:58 AM I'm an addict, of some kind or another.
Pizza Drugs Alcohol RocknRoll is how I spent age 16 - 24, its a miracle I'm still alive in itself.

X2.
One of my biggest pet peaves though is people saying "Make sure you don't trade one addiction for another."
Listen d-bag, how can you make the argument that spending time getting your body into peak shape is at all negative compared to the abuse I used to put my body through. I had way more injuries in the old days from partying than I get now from training or competing. A little IT band problem pales in comparrison to jumping off of a 2 story roof because you don't know how you got up there or how to get down.  
One of the biggest joys is watching old college friends react when the hear I'm a triathlete. Pretty hard to beleive for people who knew me then.

2009-08-27 9:52 PM
in reply to: #2372434

User image

Regular
Philadelphia
I haven't done one yet (zero athletic or sports background, coming off the couch late in the season, better idea for me to train through the winter and do one in the spring I feel), but here's my "deep" reason for starting: Triathlon is making me face a whole ton of my fears and insecurities and "I can'ts." Every time I make a little progress, one of those gets put down, and it's awesome. 

2009-08-27 10:10 PM
in reply to: #2372467

User image

Expert
Frisco
Rogillio - 2009-08-26 3:31 PM

and can't make a free-throw to save my life but I do triathlons.  ~Mike

I can teach you how to make a free throw.
2009-08-27 10:38 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
1st season of tri, but done a few years of endurance cycling and some club-level MTB racing.  Never been accused of being a natural athlete.  No sports experience in school or college.

Deep reasons for participation?  Mmmmmm....personal psychoanalysis time.

1.  Stress relief.  Nothing like a good workout to forget the day's troubles.  MUST be hard enough to prevent any other thoughts from spoiling my sufferfest.
2.  Endorphin high.  Pain cave and all that.
3.  Social.  Meet a whole different group of people than those at work.  In fact, most times (not always) I'm subconsciously bummed when I meet someone from work at tri, group ride, etc..
4.  Personal satisfaction.  Must admit I enjoy accomplishing something I once thought impossible. 
5.  Health reasons- uh, maybe not.  Am College of Cardiology rec is 30min "moderate" exercise (65% max HR) 4days/week.  Sorry but that's near couch potato to most of us (except for recovery/injury).

Reaction of others?  Variable.  Most are supportive, others don't understand, and a few give me the "you're stupid you'll kill yourself" line. So that one's +/-  for me.
2009-08-27 10:55 PM

User image

Master
Highlands Ranch

To get better.

2009-08-27 11:29 PM

User image

Veteran
Well, I've been heavy into lifting weights for the past 3 1/2 years and was doing the bare minimum of cardio necessary for basic cardiovascular health. I despise all gym cardio machines and could no longer force myself to endure them. I was talked into doing a 5K for which I was not at prepared. I was limping at the end, tendons on the sides of both knees were swollen. In spite of my pain, I joined the women's group that had put on the race. When I signed up that day, they told me that some of the women were training for a triathlon. Huh...never would have thought of that. But even if I never did one, training for one sounded like 'fun cardio'. So yeah...I do it to supplement my strength training with fun cardio. And I am having a blast. Life is heavy enough--triathlons are pure play time.

2009-08-27 11:32 PM

User image

Regular
Bishop, CA
I just wanted to do triathlon because I'm not a runner, or a swimmer (heck, I don't even know how to swim yet, this is the downside of living in a small town with a pool that is only open a couple months a year), or much of a biker.  I wanted to challenge myself and do something that seemed crazy.  BT has inspired me so much to just get out and go for it, especially when people share their stories where they started out with even less experience than me.  It makes me feel like I really can do this!
2009-08-27 11:34 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
  • I really & truly enjoy all three disciplines; swimming, cycling and running.  Even though I'm turtle slow and my body type isn't ideal for any of them.
  • The cross-training aspect saves wear and tear on my aging body.
  • I enjoy the solitude of training by myself.  I've always been a pretty private person and a bit of a loner.  I enjoy the social aspect of races, but am not looking for that when I work out.   
  • It helps me to manage stress and the post-op depression that has affected me off-and-on since my open heart surgery eight years ago.
  • The fact that I can still have an endorphin rush at age 56.
  • That most people think I'm younger than I am and don't believe I have 27 and 25 year-old children.  Probably an element of vanity in that.
  • Related to my heart surgery and the resultant heightened sense of my own mortality, I have a bit of a 'bucket list' sense of urgency now with many things in my life.  Get things done while I still can.   
  • Following a training regimen helps with keeping discipline in other aspects of my life.
  • To show up other guys my age who were better athletes when we were younger, but now have degenerated into couch potatoes. 

Mark

2009-08-28 6:42 AM

User image

Fishers, IN
1. For health (Weighed 236 and cholesterol 308 to start - now 165 and 125 respectively).
2. All of the Friends/Fellowship of the people I train with.
3. I enjoy pushing myself aerobically and the challenge of overcoming the temptation to let up.
4. Fear of returning to 236lbs
5. Makes me feel alive!
6. Icing on the cake:  The ladies are three times as pretty as any other sport    Smile 
2009-08-28 1:44 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Because you continuously break through all of those imaginary barriers of what you thought you could never do, but you CAN!

And because it is fun!
2009-08-28 1:54 PM

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Couple of "real" reasons instead of my cheeky answer from before:

- For the competition.  I thrive on it (and always want to win).
- Because I was a decent cyclist.  And I'm a decent runner.  Put those together (even with a crappy swim) and I am suddenly a big fish in a little pond in many tri races.
- Because it doesn't take me all that much work to be competitive and fast in the sport.
- Because my old boss had just done IMWI when he hired me at the firm - and "if he could do it, I can do it."
- Because after completely stopping cycling and racing in '98, getting married, and having two kids (then - now three) I looked in the mirror at someone who weighed about 60 pounds more than I used to during training ....... after 5 years of doing nothing ..... and it sickened me to see myself like that.

2009-08-28 2:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
I like the way it makes me look, is vanity deep?
2009-08-28 3:48 PM
in reply to: #2376837

User image

Expert
Denver Area

Because it redefines FAIL/FAILURE...totally eliminates "not good enough"...and strips away all self consciousness at the gym.

2009-08-28 10:17 PM

User image

Regular
Becuase I like pain. There's no other feeling like my legs turning to jelly after 50 miles, and then having a half mile, 20% grade hill between me and my house.

Seriously, it started with running cross-country in high school. I am far from the best, but the competition, the friendships, the successes, the failures, and the feeling of crossing the finish line are what made me who I am. I love finding out what my physical limits are, and trying to surpass them; oftentimes, it leaves me laying flat on the floor of my garage unable hold up a glass of ice-cold water from battling heat stroke. But would I do it again? HECK YES.
2009-08-28 10:32 PM

User image

Champion
PA
I wanted to prove that I could do something after my skating career took a turn for the worse.

2009-08-29 1:31 PM
in reply to: #2372467

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Rogillio - 2009-08-26 3:31 PM

I wrote this yesterday in a tread and then re-posted it in my blog....thanks for the opportunity to get some more mileage out of it.

Why I tri

I'm 6'3" and was 293 lbs this past Sunday at my last triathlon.  I haven't always been this heavy but I've always been tall.  When I was a kid in school and we'd chose up sides, I'd often get picked first because people ASSUME that, because I was big/tall, I must be good in basketball or football or whatever.  But I sucked at basketball.  I sucked at football.  I can't hit a damn slow pitch softball much less a fast pitch baseball!  So participation in sports was non-existent.  I didn't play ANY organized sports in grade school, junior high, high school or college.  Nothing! 

Years later I found myself at a slow pitch softball game with the guys from work.  I showed up to drink beers afterwards but they expected me to play ball first.  I struck-out at my first at-bat and someone laughed and said I “threw like a girl”.  OK, this was a mistake; I'm never doing this again!

Then when I was 33 years old I was in the gym lifting weights and walking on the treadmill.  A good friend encouraged me to run on the treadmill and said there was a 5k at the airport on the runway that many people did for a PR since it was such a flat/easy course.  So I set a goal of running 3 miles.  I trained for months on the TM - never once getting out on the road.  Finally race day came and I ran my heart out.  It nearly killed me but I ran the entire 3.1 miles.  I don't know what my time was and didn't care; my goal was simply to run the whole thing and not have to walk.

About a month after that I saw a flyer in the gym for a sprint triathlon...the Rocketman.  It was a triathlon!  OMG!  I had heard about triathlons...I thought they only did that in Hawaii.  I had no idea they had shorter ones.  It had a 5k run and I was confident I could do that since I'd just run a 5k.  Bike ride of 12 miles didn't sound too hard - I'd been riding a bike since I was kid!  The swim had me a little concerned but I grew up around the water and swimming came easy.

And so I became Rocketman!  I did the Rocketman every year for the next 5 years.  I loved the Rocketman because I had finally been able to participate in a sport and not have to feel bad about letting my teammates down because I had no athletic talent and sucked at all sports. 

I still can't hit a baseball and can't make a free-throw to save my life but I do triathlons.  I love to run.  I love to bike.  I love to swim.  And I'm finally able to participate in a real sport.  Yeah, I still suck at it but that's ok.  When people see IMKY poster on my wall and asked if I did that, I just nod.  They don't ask "how fast" or "what place did you come in" and I don't volunteer those. 

So for me, it is about the participation not the podium.  I don't care if I ever get faster.  If I busted my arse the best I would ever be would be mediocre.  I don't swim intervals or use pull-buoys or paddles.  I just jump in and swim and enjoy being one with the water.  I don't run intervals or do speed work or hill work or repeats.  I just go out on the road and run and enjoy being outside in the fresh air in this beautiful world we live in.  When I ride, I just get on my bike and ride.  Sometimes I weave between the reflectors on the road like I used to do when I was a kid And maybe once or twice a year I'll show up at a race with real athletes and act like I belong in their club.

~Mike

Well said.  Thank you. 

I am dismal at "team" sports that require eye/ hand coordination.  I love running, have come to love biking and swimming.  I started off trying to keep my weight down and challenge myself--found that all the cross training has kept me healthier overall and being mediocre at 3 sports is just fine by me.

I show up at races to push myself past the mental and physical hurdles that day brings.  Same way I approach training.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deeper Reason For Doing Triathlon and Endurance Sports Rss Feed  

of 3