General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deeper Reason For Doing Triathlon and Endurance Sports Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-08-26 3:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Deeper Reason For Doing Triathlon and Endurance Sports
Yes triathlon is great for weightloss, fitness, yes it's great getting in a 2+ hour workout while the rest of your household is still sleeping, etc, etc, etc.

But is there a deeper more meaningful reason that you do triathlon?

For me it's the fact that
I've always wanted to do something epic with my life, whether it be endurance sports or not. I've always just wanted to do something great and have that feeling that no one can ever take away from me by doing it. I want people to look up to me and that type of stuff. I don't just want to be ordinary like my parents or my friends who really haven't done anything "great" with their lives.

I know this sounds pretty geeky and weird but I'm just wondering if there are other people out there who think like me? As this is the main source of motivation for me to train day after day.

Edited by ENP 2009-08-26 3:17 PM

2009-08-26 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2372434

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Deeper Reason For Doing Triathlon and Endurance Sports
If it is your motivation, then there doesn't need to be anything else anyone else says as it works for you!  Congrats on making that choice to be different than the influences around you.

I do it for the drugs and women ......... oh wait, different topic.
2009-08-26 3:26 PM

User image

Pro
The Land of Ice and Snow
I have always looked up to you Santa!!
2009-08-26 3:26 PM

User image

Regular
East San Francisco Bay Area
There was an article in Triathlete Magazine recently (this month i think) about finding your "Emotional Motivation". It prompted readers to ask a series of why questions? Idea is that its supposed to lead you to find that deep, long lasting motivation that will hold up in the darkest, most painful hours of a long and brutal race.

I think mine is to make my family, my wife and parents proud... got that from continually asking 'why?'
2009-08-26 3:30 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-08-26 3:31 PM

Champion
Alabama

I wrote this yesterday in a tread and then re-posted it in my blog....thanks for the opportunity to get some more mileage out of it.

Why I tri

I'm 6'3" and was 293 lbs this past Sunday at my last triathlon.  I haven't always been this heavy but I've always been tall.  When I was a kid in school and we'd chose up sides, I'd often get picked first because people ASSUME that, because I was big/tall, I must be good in basketball or football or whatever.  But I sucked at basketball.  I sucked at football.  I can't hit a damn slow pitch softball much less a fast pitch baseball!  So participation in sports was non-existent.  I didn't play ANY organized sports in grade school, junior high, high school or college.  Nothing! 

Years later I found myself at a slow pitch softball game with the guys from work.  I showed up to drink beers afterwards but they expected me to play ball first.  I struck-out at my first at-bat and someone laughed and said I “threw like a girl”.  OK, this was a mistake; I'm never doing this again!

Then when I was 33 years old I was in the gym lifting weights and walking on the treadmill.  A good friend encouraged me to run on the treadmill and said there was a 5k at the airport on the runway that many people did for a PR since it was such a flat/easy course.  So I set a goal of running 3 miles.  I trained for months on the TM - never once getting out on the road.  Finally race day came and I ran my heart out.  It nearly killed me but I ran the entire 3.1 miles.  I don't know what my time was and didn't care; my goal was simply to run the whole thing and not have to walk.

About a month after that I saw a flyer in the gym for a sprint triathlon...the Rocketman.  It was a triathlon!  OMG!  I had heard about triathlons...I thought they only did that in Hawaii.  I had no idea they had shorter ones.  It had a 5k run and I was confident I could do that since I'd just run a 5k.  Bike ride of 12 miles didn't sound too hard - I'd been riding a bike since I was kid!  The swim had me a little concerned but I grew up around the water and swimming came easy.

And so I became Rocketman!  I did the Rocketman every year for the next 5 years.  I loved the Rocketman because I had finally been able to participate in a sport and not have to feel bad about letting my teammates down because I had no athletic talent and sucked at all sports. 

I still can't hit a baseball and can't make a free-throw to save my life but I do triathlons.  I love to run.  I love to bike.  I love to swim.  And I'm finally able to participate in a real sport.  Yeah, I still suck at it but that's ok.  When people see IMKY poster on my wall and asked if I did that, I just nod.  They don't ask "how fast" or "what place did you come in" and I don't volunteer those. 

So for me, it is about the participation not the podium.  I don't care if I ever get faster.  If I busted my arse the best I would ever be would be mediocre.  I don't swim intervals or use pull-buoys or paddles.  I just jump in and swim and enjoy being one with the water.  I don't run intervals or do speed work or hill work or repeats.  I just go out on the road and run and enjoy being outside in the fresh air in this beautiful world we live in.  When I ride, I just get on my bike and ride.  Sometimes I weave between the reflectors on the road like I used to do when I was a kid And maybe once or twice a year I'll show up at a race with real athletes and act like I belong in their club.

~Mike

2009-08-26 3:57 PM

Master
Guilford, CT

I like pace booty

2009-08-26 3:59 PM

Yay! Let's start yet ANOTHER 9-page thread about how people who don't do triathlons are pathetic losers!!

Seriously. Do them for whatever damn reason you please. How about simply because it's fun? That's my rule for anything - do it if it's fun. When it stops becoming fun, don't do it anymore. That part can be tough due to pressure and expectations from other people.

2009-08-26 4:02 PM

Master
Not sure what the "deep" reason is.
I have always enjoyed sports. The shift from team to individual sports has taken a while, and it took me 15 + years from the first time I started to train to actually getting up the nerve to do a tri.
I think I do them now because I hope the fitness will help prevent or slow the onset of heart disease.
Other shallower reasons-pace booty, gear, and body marking (I love to volunteer for that part).
2009-08-26 4:06 PM

2009-08-26 4:10 PM

Veteran
outskirts of town
This sport is dead sexy!!

Not sure how deep or meaningful this is, but I like the feeling of being included in a still small percentage of the population that is willing to push themselves to the limit both physically and mentally!

There is usually a hint of respect you get from other people that consider you bada$$ for doing tri. I like that!

2009-08-26 4:10 PM

Eagle River, Alaska

Two reasons:

1.  To make up for my lost athletic dreams in childhood.  I was always good in our sandlot football games in grade school, but when the time came to play for real in Jr High, I was a "late bloomer", nerdy and too scared to try out.  Spent the next 15 years of my life on the geek/nerd/nonathletic track...

2.  Training is the one thing in my life that I can control.  I'm contractually stuck in a job I don't much like, working for an organization I don't much like, living in a part of the country I wouldn't pick for myself. 

2009-08-26 4:11 PM
in reply to: #2372455

Extreme Veteran
aquagirl - 2009-08-26 8:26 AM I have always looked up to you Santa!!

Why thank you!

You are now officially on my good list for this year.
2009-08-26 4:12 PM
in reply to: #2372439

Sensei
Sin City
Daremo - 2009-08-26 1:19 PM If it is your motivation, then there doesn't need to be anything else anyone else says as it works for you!  Congrats on making that choice to be different than the influences around you.

I do it for the drugs and women ......... oh wait, different topic.

First you geet the money, then you geet the power, then you geet the weeeman!!!!!
2009-08-26 4:13 PM
in reply to: #2372578

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
ENP - 2009-08-26 2:11 PM
aquagirl - 2009-08-26 8:26 AM I have always looked up to you Santa!!

Why thank you!

You are now officially on my good list for this year.

I dunno, if you put her on the "naughty" list you might get to spank her. Just sayin...

John
2009-08-26 4:14 PM

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
ENP - 2009-08-26 1:16 PM Yes triathlon is great for weightloss, fitness, yes it's great getting in a 2+ hour workout while the rest of your household is still sleeping, etc, etc, etc.

But is there a deeper more meaningful reason that you do triathlon?

For me it's the fact that
I've always wanted to do something epic with my life, whether it be endurance sports or not. I've always just wanted to do something great and have that feeling that no one can ever take away from me by doing it. I want people to look up to me and that type of stuff. I don't just want to be ordinary like my parents or my friends who really haven't done anything "great" with their lives.

I know this sounds pretty geeky and weird but I'm just wondering if there are other people out there who think like me? As this is the main source of motivation for me to train day after day.

I swam for 17 years, ran x-country for 8ish, raced bikes in college, what else would I do? Other than the martial arts, golf, bowling, softball, water polo...

John

2009-08-26 4:15 PM
in reply to: #2372542

Extreme Veteran
wurkit_gurl - 2009-08-26 8:59 AM

Yay! Let's start yet ANOTHER 9-page thread about how people who don't do triathlons are pathetic losers!!

Seriously. Do them for whatever damn reason you please. How about simply because it's fun? That's my rule for anything - do it if it's fun. When it stops becoming fun, don't do it anymore. That part can be tough due to pressure and expectations from other people.

And you...

Are on my naughty list!
2009-08-26 4:16 PM

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Endorphin junkie? 

Addicted to the "Ironman Diet" (i.e. eat whatever you want, you'll burn it off)? 

Friendships developed in this sport? 

A chance to see sights that most people don't?  (Starlit skies, beautiful sunrises, amazing back-country roads)

Some parts of the tri lifestyle are like an amazing sunrise, summer lightning, or thundering waterfall (that's the "epic" stuff you're describing).  Most of the time, it's like the gradual lightening of the dawn as we go from darkess (not aware of our capabilities) to overcast morning (that additional 0.1 mile that makes the run your "longest run ever" )  in barely perceptible increments. 

For me, it isn't so much about seeing what I can do (I can do just about anything I choose to do) but deciding what I AM going to do. 

2009-08-26 4:16 PM

Extreme Veteran
what is "pace booty"

sounds kinky?
2009-08-26 4:20 PM
in reply to: #2372542

Master
Guilford, CT
wurkit_gurl - 2009-08-26 3:59 PM

Haha!  Your funny!  I agree though.  It's fun.  I tried a new thing and like it.  This is my first season.  I'll probably do it for awhile longer and get bored and move one.  Did the same thing with golf the two summers before this one.  I generally just pick a hobby and try to get good at it and then get sick of it and find something else to obsess over in my self imposed 5hrs a night sleep deprived state. It's not a big deal. 

edit:  you know what pace booty is when you see it!

Edited by acumenjay 2009-08-26 4:22 PM
2009-08-26 4:21 PM
in reply to: #2372582

Sensei
Sin City
Going to be honest here.  Why?  Not sure...

Several reasons.  It's fun, I like the toys, healthy, I'm actually decent at it.

But I have to honestly admit, probably for some insecurity reasons.  In my life, I have always liked to do things that scare or intimidate the general population.  I like the attention.  I don't search the attention out, but don't mind that it comes with it.  Othing things I do/have done in the same lines are rock climbing, scuba diving, bungee jumping, motorcycles (and SOON, a sky dive!!!)

If the topic comes up that I do triathlons, people are impressed with me.  If I say I did an Ironman or Escape from Alcatraz, they are even MORE impressed.

Granted, I would still do them even if I didn't get attention for it, but I like that it does.

2009-08-26 4:23 PM

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado

Tri's specifically?  No.  Really just fitness and fun and to compete with myself.

But maybe when it comes down to a few of the more "endurance" events like the IM...the deeper reason is to prove to myself that I can do it.  To give myself a goal and achieve it.  To challenge my body and come out the other side possibly wiser and more experienced.

2009-08-26 4:39 PM

2009-08-26 5:17 PM

Regular
Bronze member
I think that I started doing triathlons in order to prove to myself that I really can do something if I set my mind to it, that whatever excuses I make for myself are just excuses. 

And of course pace booty.  And also to imagine that someday I might be someone's pace booty too.
Erica
2009-08-26 5:21 PM
in reply to: #2372597

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina
ENP - 2009-08-26 5:16 PM what is "pace booty"

sounds kinky?

Pace booty is, let's see... 'booty' that is (a) in view, and (b) sufficiently enticing to make you try to maintain or improve your current pace so as not to lose that view.

Clear enough?

Oh, and I do it because it is really really fun.  I am sufficiently out of touch with my own self that I don't have a deep reason.  or maybe I'm sufficiently in touch with myself to know that I don't have a deep reason?  Not sure which...

Edited by Experior 2009-08-26 5:22 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Deeper Reason For Doing Triathlon and Endurance Sports Rss Feed  

of 3