General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Words of Wisdom needed - Tris in the rain... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-09-11 6:16 AM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley, NY
Subject: Words of Wisdom needed - Tris in the rain...
So, I'm not thrilled about the storm system coming up the east coast this weekend.  I was hoping for a pretty sunny day for my first sprint tri, but it's not meant to be.    The weather here is calling for rain showers on Saturday, but off and on, so maybe it will be dryish.  But, nothing I can do about it, so I want to be prepared with the correct gear.

So, my questions are this:  What do you bring with you when it rains?   I had read somewhere to bring a garbage bag to cover up your shoes/socks during transition.  Anything else?  Do you ride in a rain jacket?   I'm a little nervous about riding in the rain too.  I actually love running in the rain, so that would be fine for me. 

What are the chances that they'll cancel the OWS part?    Do they cancel for lots of rain, or just if there's lightening/thunder? 

Thanks!

Edited by jenmel 2009-09-11 6:23 AM

2009-09-11 6:24 AM
in reply to: #2400314

User image

alexandria, VA
Subject: RE: Words of Wisdom needed - Tris in the rain...
i would bring something warm to wear for sitting around waiting/post race.  i had a race in may where it started raining about 1min before the first swim wave went off and they still let us go, i came out of the water and learned the swim was canceled and the real race would start in about an hour.  it was about 55F out and i did not pack anything warm to wear (like a long sleeve or a tshirt), i wore my wetsuit until i started shivering and then went for a long warm up run to try and stay warm, but i was still freezing.

im sure it depends on the race, but if its just raining the swim has a good chance to still go off.  if theres thunder or the water becomes rough, or the body of water you are swimming in is near a city (something about runoff from the city and dirty water, we worry about that in the potomac), theres a good chance the swim will be canceled.  if it is raining steadily i wouldnt worry about keeping anything dry, since it will all get wet eventually (and i dont mind riding/running in wet gear).  for the bike take the turns slower than normal and be careful on downhills, be more cautious than normal - especially if the roads are still open to traffic.  and watch out for puddles, sometimes they conceal large potholes.
2009-09-11 6:59 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

I have raced in the rain a few times.  First tri was in the remnants of a hurricane.  It was a pool swim so no cancellation.  Miserable time on the bike and the run actually felt good but I was more than happy to take a warm shower and put on a dry sweatshirt!

My tri last month was also a rainy day.  Swim goes on as long as there is no thunder/ lightning and the water is safe (current/ flooding risk as well as contaminates)  I have seen some people advise letting a touch of air out of the tires to give a bit better traction on the wet surfaces.  I didn't do that in my last tri and was fine on full pressure.  The run is usually fine, unless it's got a lot of trail/ grass surfaces.  Then be prepared for a mud bath or slip & slide experience.

Keep your shoes in a trash bag to at least have them dry when you put them on.  If you wear a jacket take the time to zip it up or you will have a big parachute behind you.  Trash bags to cover your bike saddle and levers out in transition are often used too.

It's pretty fun to do a race in the rain!  Lots of people skip them cause they don't want to be out in the rain so the event becomes smaller.  You know the fans are die hard if they're out with cowbells in that too!  Volunteers too!! (make sure to thank them for being out in the rain for you!)

2009-09-11 7:09 AM

User image

Expert
Traverse Cityish
It's really not all that much different than racing in the dry. Since it's only a sprint, no worries on foot blisters. Just use a garbage bag in transition for over your stuff, skip the towel and be more careful on the bike course. Painted lines will be slippery and your brakes won't work as well. Other than that, it's the same. In fact, I'd take a rain race over 90 degrees and humid any day.

Edited by Nelg 2009-09-11 7:09 AM
2009-09-11 10:02 AM

Extreme Veteran
West Windsor, NJ
Agreed with the above post on riding in the rain: watch your brakes and the painted lines. You can't believe how much braking power you lose (and the first time you hit them, its a bit shocking...so give yourself some space) and stay off the painted lines...they are slick. Try braking on the painted lines, that is an adventure.
2009-09-11 10:07 AM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Since I'm sure you've trained in the rain...right.... knowing how your bike will respond will be nothing new.

BUT, if for some reason you have not had a chance to train in the rain here you go:

As others have said, be careful of painted lines.  They are slick.  Stay away.  If you see a puddle assume it's a pot hole because it probably is.  Give yourself plenty of time to brake but don't be afraid to speed up on the straightaways.

Unless there is lightening, I doubt they will cancel the swim.  But either have clear or amber lenses on your goggles so you can see the buoy's better.  Same for your sunglasses.  If you have amber lenses, wear them.

You can try and keep your stuff dry in Transition, but it's really a losing battle.  I actually kept my stuff in my transition bag and pulled them out during the race.  All that did was get my transition bag soaked on the inside.

Make sure you have warm stuff to change into after the race.  You don't need a rain jacket for the bike because you're wet from the swim anyway.  Unless you get cold, then do what you would for a cold ride.

Good luck!!

2009-09-11 10:46 AM

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
Wear sunglasses on the bike (clear or amber).  It really helps.  They'll be wet, but at least all of that water isn't going in your eyes.  Take it slow on the bike, especially around corners and stay off of the painted lines.

If you put your shoes in a garbage bag, make sure the water doesn't drip into the bag. I learned that the hard way.

Pack some warm, dry clothes and some towels and leave them in your car.  It makes after the race and the drive home a lot more pleasant.
2009-09-11 12:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Hudson Valley, NY
Thank you!!  I appreciate all of your comments!  Looking forward to tomorrow!
2009-09-11 12:53 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT

I have a sprint tomorrow too... in CT.  Not looking forward to the rain, but since it's just a sprint, it is basically HTFU and power through for me.  Bike is over quick enough where I'll just tough it out.  I'll probably layer a bag over my shoes so I start dry, wear shades, and take the corners easy on the bike.  I'll worry about being cold when I'm done.

I do get a little bummed about the bike though because I like to hammer and ride aggressive around the turns...it would have been especially true in this one because it is my hometown course and I know the roads pretty well.

2009-09-11 3:24 PM
in reply to: #2400354

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Almost all of the races I've done this year have had some component of rain in them.  I'm just used to it now ..........  We'll see how the one scheduled for Sunday goes!
2009-09-11 4:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Fort Worth. Texas
looks like rain and storms here in North Texas this weekend too... that means high humidity...yuck!!

2009-09-11 6:26 PM

User image

Elite
Alturas, California
Yups, keep the shoes dry in T2, take corners slower and watch the wet paint and have a dry pair of clothes for after the race.  I did a HIM where I was in the rain for 4 + hours this summer and some folks have done entire IM's in the rain.  For longer races you may need a bike jersey to keep warm or even on the run, but for a sprint it is just get er done and then get dry and warm.  I used a hat on the run to reduce the rain on my glasses, I think it helped some, maybe.  

If it is cold and rainy, remember that you don't need as much water, but then it is a sprint so you don't need much anyway, just don't overhydrate or you will get cramps on the run.  
2009-09-11 6:54 PM

User image

Master
Tyler, TX
I don't have much experience racing in the rain, but I know some (many?) people lower their tire pressure a bit to get better grip on a wet road.  Anybody do that?  If the course has a lot of turns it seems to makes sense to me.

Brian
2009-09-11 8:08 PM

Veteran
Boston
I've never known of a triathlon where they canceled the swim because of rain alone. However, if there is thunder or lightning, they will cancel it. Just be really careful on the bike, especially if you are nervous. It is a race, but in the end, if you end up sacrificing caution for speed you can end up falling and not finishing the race. I would suggest tapping your brakes when going downhill, just to be safe.

Have fun!
2009-09-16 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2401644

x2 on this question.    I have a race this weekend and it looks like it will rain.   I normally inflate tires to 120 psi.   How much should I inflate to if it is raining?
2009-09-16 1:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Canton, MI. via Detroit
Swimming in the rain is weird. It is.

2009-09-16 2:18 PM

User image

Veteran
MA
tri-again - 2009-09-16 1:55 PM x2 on this question.    I have a race this weekend and it looks like it will rain.   I normally inflate tires to 120 psi.   How much should I inflate to if it is raining?

I just had a tri in the rain this past weekend.  I had read this thread and knew to avoid the painted lines.  I thought about taking the psi down a bit for the race, but forgot about it.  My tires were at 120psi; I didn't have any trouble during the race. 

I was prepared to be more cautious on the bike, if that makes sense, but I really didn't end up doing anything different than I would have in a dry race. 

One thing was different, I think do to the rain and cold, my feet felt real funky for the first mile of the run.  I could really feel every strike, lots of sensation.  A strange feeling, but it passed.

Edited by jammers 2009-09-16 2:21 PM
2009-09-16 3:53 PM

User image

Veteran
You should assume the other cyclists are not as wise as you, meaning, assume they are going to take a fall in the turns.
2009-09-16 5:46 PM
in reply to: #2410258

User image

Expert
Austin, TX

marq - 2009-09-16 3:53 PM You should assume the other cyclists are not as wise as you, meaning, assume they are going to take a fall in the turns.

That is exactly how I approached my race this past weekend which had 1-2 inches of standing water on much of the bike course.  When passing, I made sure early in the pass that people knew I was coming up behind them.  I did not want them to get spooked since many were already edgy riding in the rain.
If you are new to rain riding, take turns easy.

2009-09-16 6:43 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
My 1st tri was this Spring in rain & upper 50's temp.  Main thing is to accept you WILL be wet & just enjoy the event.  Best thing I did in transition set-up was put my glasses on my bike seat & cover with a clear throw-away shower cap. Holds the glasses in place & keeps 'em dry for the bike start.  I normally don't wear socks for Sprint distance bike or run, so no issue there.  Worst thing I did- put both bike & run shoes in same large plastic bag. At T1 I found bike shoe velcro stuck to run shoes & run shoe laces tangled in bike shoe cleats.  Doooooh!

When biking in rain take turns easy and avoid paint lines (REAL slick) & potholes (where depth & debris lurk).  Running in rain isn't bad, but (again) avoid puddles/potholes.

Did the entire event in tri shorts/top which worked out fine.  Not cold at all during bike or run.  But a rain jacket is nice to have for pre- and post-event to stay dry/warm as you can while standing around.
2009-09-16 7:35 PM

User image

Expert
Salem
Instead of garbage bags at my last Tri it rained and I brought some see through bags.  I got them from my wife who saved the bags when we bought sheets and bedspreads.  The nice thing about these types is that they you can see your stuff and you dont have to dig through eveything and try to find it.  They are also a bit heavier that garbage bags so less chance for them blowing away in the wind.  I placed the larger bag over my bike shoes socks and placed my running shoes in a smaller one that had a lid to flip over, no need to zip it up.  If you can find something like this it worked great.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Words of Wisdom needed - Tris in the rain... Rss Feed