Bloomington, Minnesota
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 42m 13s
Overall Rank = 65/859
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 15/200
Pre-race routine:

We spent the night at the Sheraton, which was just a little over a mile from the race site. So, I got up, ate some cereal, hopped on my bike (in the dark, with lights) and coasted downhill to the race venue. It was dark. Did I mention it was dark? And, oh yah, the sidewalk into the park? It just ends. Yep, just ends. Luckily it ends on grass at the same height as the sidewalk. So, I didn't crash when it ended, at least. :) You'd think I'd get off and walk from there. But, no. I biked till the start of transition anyway. Then, I got off, walked my bike in, got the very end spot on my rack and realized - hey this is a duathlon. I have pretty much nothing to set up in transition. Oooookaaaaay....what to do for the next 2 hours..... Turns out that they had free bike tune-up people. So, I wheeled the bike over and got my front wheel trued up a bit. Soren had leaned his seat back onto the wheel in the van, and had made it kind of wobbly. Then, I walked around and realized I was bored out of my mind without my donkey friends.
Event warmup:

I stood around shivering with about 850 other women. Does that count as a warm up? (Honestly, I should have done a real warm up. I paid for the this in the first run.)
Run
  • 14m 49s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

So, I had no clue where to seed myself. I decided to start somewhat close to the front - probably about 10 women back. And, apparently, I should have started even closer to the front, as I got boxed in behind some chatting women right away. Once I cleared them, it was smooth sailing until about 3/4 of a mile when we started catching up to the previous wave. I was kind of hurting by then, and feeling rather grouchy and surly about it all. And, then I remembered that I was just supposed to be having fun in this race and that my "plan" had been to be "that girl" - the one that cheers everyone else on. I certainly wasn't living up to that at this point. So, insta-attitude adjustment. By the end of this run I was passing people from 2 waves ahead of mine, and cheering on every one of them as I passed.
What would you do differently?:

Remember my goal from the start.
Transition 1
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

It was a looooong transition for what little I had to do. My transition spot was great for T2, but not so wonderful for T1. I didn't really waste time here, it just was a long way to go and not a short enough time to get there.

Magically have a better spot for T1?
Bike
  • 1h 08m 53s
  • 19 miles
  • 16.55 mile/hr
Comments:

Ah, hills (1038 feet of climbing). And wind. And snot. Oh yes, this was a snot-tastic ride, for sure. I have never said, "on your left" more than I did during this ride. I wasn't really pushing the pace. In fact, this was by far my slowest bike split of the year. So, this was all about who else was out there. But, once again, I was all about the goal. So, there was lots of cheering on other women as I passed, and thanking the cops holding traffic, and maintaining a positive attitude. Except at that one dude that drove onto the bike course. I yelled at him, and felt fully justified in doing so. :)

The course was 2 laps, and my cheering squad were set up right before the big hill, so I got to see them on both laps. Yay, cheering squad!

Hm...maybe train for hills. Maybe train at all?
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Ah, T2 - where I typically kick butt. And today was no exception. I tied the race winner for fastest T2. Cool, huh? My brush with greatness.

Nada.
Run
  • 15m 43s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I could really feel the effects of the week-long cold on this one. Breathing sort of sucked. I caught my LUNA Chix friend, Carrie, about mid-way through this run. She was struggling, so I gave her a few encouraging words and pushed on. Not as quick as I would have liked, but so goes it, eh?

Aaron and Soren were there to cheer me to the finish line. Yay!

Once again...train for this race?
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed one of those shiny blankets and wrapped myself up in it and hung out with Aaron and Soren until we could score my bike back out of transition

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Let's see... I've had a cold all week, my knee is still a bit tweaked (though it was mostly a non-issue in this race) and I really hadn't trained for this race at all.

Event comments:

It's a good race if you like this kind of race - all women, mostly beginners - that sort of thing. Close to hotels and nice venue. It was well organized. I particularly like the freebie bike maintenance support. It wasn't as crowded as I'd feared, though it was somewhat crowded. I'd probably do it again.

Last updated: 2009-04-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:14:49 | 02 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 21/200
Overall: 0/859
Performance: Good
Course: Around Normandale Lake - starting on the road and then switching to bike path. Up and down a couple of hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 01:50
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
01:08:53 | 19 miles | 16.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/200
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Oooo, hilly baby.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:15:43 | 02 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/200
Performance: Average
Course: Same as the first one.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-09-28 6:32 AM

User image

Master
Madison, WI
Subject: Ryka Iron Girl Duathlon

2009-09-28 11:30 AM
in reply to: #2429158

User image

Master
Waukesha, WI
Subject: RE: Ryka Iron Girl Duathlon
I'd say that is a respectable bike split with that amount of climbing.  Way to go.
2009-09-28 11:33 AM

User image

Master
Delafield, Wisconsin
Hey I like women, maybe I should do this one next year. Great race! Sounds like tough conditions for the bike. Way to show them how its done!
2009-09-28 11:42 AM
in reply to: #2429766

User image

Master
Madison, WI
Thanks guys. If I do it again next year, I'll actually train for it. I swear.

I just found out that a whole bunch of women were turned away when they showed up after the 7:00 a.m. transition cut off time. Oooo boy are they peeved. Apparently, they were treated pretty rudely. But, sheesh - can't you read? Everything said transition closes at 7:00.... Maybe that's where all the fast people were - standing outside the closed transition.
2009-09-28 12:23 PM

User image

Elite
West Allis, Wisconsin

EEEEEEEEEEEEE to the f'n AAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWW DONKEY!!!!! du's are so much different that tri's!!!  i did that same thing with setting up transition up at the Apple Du this year..........wow, very little stuff indeed!  anyway, way to represent lady!!!!!

2009-09-28 2:29 PM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Good race Deanna!!! You were flying on that first run leg. Way to adjust the attitude and enjoy yourself.

2009-09-28 4:18 PM
in reply to: #2430224

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Nice work!  Yeah, it's definitely a beginner crowd which impacts the amount of passing.  Yet it helps the rankings   

I know there were 1200 people signed up, so only 800ish finishers is really low.  I wonder how many of them were in the group who couldn't get in...?  That's terrible! 

Unfortunately the race organization does nothing to explain "how a race works", despite the number of first-timers.  I volunteered at registration and answered many questions about what time to show up, etc.  They should have put the times in the packet at least.  I am going to work up a little tip sheet and send it to them for future years.  They should also address self placement at the race start, which is problematic year after year.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ryka Iron Girl Duathlon Rss Feed