General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Haters Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-10-06 4:12 PM
in reply to: #2445078

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Haters
Sorry no one asked about your run. I have to wonder how much you ask about their activities. I'm not so good at that and often have to remind myself to follow up on other people's comments and be socially reciprocal that way. I also try to talk very little about my racing at work, as it could sound like bragging to some. All those folks who said to do it for yourself and not the approval of others are right on. I'm sure dropping the 25 lbs. feels great. You probably feel better at every stage of every day than you did before. Congratulations, man. That's its own reward.

2009-10-06 4:23 PM
in reply to: #2446088

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

While I generally agree with the "do it for yourself" mentality, in the sense that you shouldn't take it to heart, it doesn't make it okay. 

I have to say that I would be thinking hater too if I hear the comment of "Oh thats not hard. I do that all the time." 

If my coworker tells me that they rode their bike for 6 miles on the weekend (which they would, knowing how much I like to bike) I would say "Awesome!  Where did you go?  Did you have a nice ride?" - despite the fact that my short easy workouts are double that. 

Some people are rude.  Some are nice.  Sorry you don't seem to have many nice ones at your office. 

The people I work with are very nice and interested in what I do for racing or whatever and I return the favor.  It's just common courtesy.

2009-10-06 4:43 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
it's important to be strong inside about your accomplishments. relying on other people to give you a boost is not healthy, simply because it's usually a shallow blanket comment, or not reliable. you can put yourself into a mental tail-spin if you exist for other's opinions on your performance. however it's nice when people do give you a genuine compliment/encouragement, but don't live for it.

MUCH better to pat yourself on the back and tell yourself how great your own achievement was. But don't beat yourself up when you don't perform well at some point. Be good to yourself !
"Yourself" is the best friend you've got IMHO !!

I know how you feel, I was feeling low when I just finished a recent sprint triathlon and got an email from a friend (cc'ing a large group) saying how great the top finishers were.  Well, I came in 60 out of 160, and was happy. I really only cared about my own performance....I didn't come in the top 10 for sure, but I don't care.  

it's all RELATIVE. some people can't fathom running a mile, and others do IronMan Tris like it's a walk in the park.
do what you can do, but dream what you might do.

Whether it's a 5k, 10k, sprint Tri, or whatever, atleast you got off your butt and are doing something positive for yourself.  

Keep up the good work !! Smile

Edited by metafizx 2009-10-06 4:45 PM
2009-10-06 4:51 PM

User image

Master
Redlands, CA
Some good advice here and some really really bad advice here.

First off, no one is jealous of you.  I don't know why people take this stance that everyone is jealous of their exploits but in general its just not true and creates a negative outlook about your coworkers. 

The truth is, they don't care.  They are too busy into their own lives and typically everyone is after the same thing; attention.  If you really want people to care about your 5k talk to them, ask them about thier hobbies, what's going on in thier lives and they'll be interested in yours as well.  
2009-10-06 5:03 PM

User image

New user
West Coast/Central Florida
First, congratulations on a really big race!  I don't care if someone says a 5K isn't a big deal!  It's your first race; it's a freaking huge deal!!!!!  But I must warn you, you sound like you may become "one of us!"  You will want more and more and more!  hahah!  That's a good thing.  You're already seeing results (congrats on the weight loss too!)  KSH is right and said it perfectly, people that are not involved in this will not understand your accomplishments, how hard it was to get to where you've gone and how hard it is daily to keep going.  YOU'RE DOING AN AWESOME JOB!  It does hurt your feelings, but you'll get over it because you know you're doing a great job.  Keep it up!  Welcome to BT!!!  )
2009-10-06 5:08 PM
in reply to: #2446164

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
furiousferret - 2009-10-06 5:51 PM Some good advice here and some really really bad advice here.

First off, no one is jealous of you.  I don't know why people take this stance that everyone is jealous of their exploits but in general its just not true and creates a negative outlook about your coworkers. 

The truth is, they don't care.  They are too busy into their own lives and typically everyone is after the same thing; attention.  If you really want people to care about your 5k talk to them, ask them about thier hobbies, what's going on in thier lives and they'll be interested in yours as well.  

I have to pull the giant buzzer on this one.  So many people ignore other's accomplishments because of a lack of self esteem.  They are jealous and don't know how to motivate themselves into starting the same thing.  It screams, "WHY CAN'T THAT BE ME!!!??"  Obviously not everyone is like this, but it does happen.  I was there myself a few years ago.  (it sucks)

The best thing you can do is talk about how much fun you are having and how rewarding it is to YOU.  If you want encouragement and excitement from people about these kinds of accomplishments, the only people you need to look for are those in your shoes.  Join a beginner runner's club.  They are a great support group for weightloss and new-to-running folks like you.

Cheers and kudos on your 5k.  I was super excited and amped after mine as well.  Just don't stop.  Because the best feeling in the world, besides the exercise in general, is to be able to add to your accomplishments with distance or time.  It'll enrich your life a ton!!!

2009-10-06 5:47 PM
in reply to: #2446192

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
jgerbodegrant - 2009-10-06 3:08 PM
furiousferret - 2009-10-06 5:51 PM Some good advice here and some really really bad advice here.

I have to pull the giant buzzer on this one.  So many people ignore other's accomplishments because of a lack of self esteem.  They are jealous and don't know how to motivate themselves into starting the same thing.  It screams, "WHY CAN'T THAT BE ME!!!??"  Obviously not everyone is like this, but it does happen.  I was there myself a few years ago.  (it sucks)

The best thing you can do is talk about how much fun you are having and how rewarding it is to YOU.  If you want encouragement and excitement from people about these kinds of accomplishments, the only people you need to look for are those in your shoes.  Join a beginner runner's club.  They are a great support group for weightloss and new-to-running folks like you.

Cheers and kudos on your 5k.  I was super excited and amped after mine as well.  Just don't stop.  Because the best feeling in the world, besides the exercise in general, is to be able to add to your accomplishments with distance or time.  It'll enrich your life a ton!!!

OR....

A LITTLE FROM COLUMN A AND A LITTLE FROM COLUMN B?
2009-10-06 6:13 PM
in reply to: #2445099

User image

Master
Metro NY Area
X2- Do it for yourself who cares what others think or don't think.
jszat - 2009-10-06 11:21 AM

Do it for you and dont worry what others think.  Its a waste of time.  Congrats on your accoplishment!!

2009-10-06 6:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
First sprint this weekend. 1031 entrants. I was VERY happy with my results, but I was most proud of those who were overweight, slugging it out, and smiling. mmproch: Great Job!

PS: the "coolest" to watch were the young kids...13 year old 8th over all. He was smoking.

PSS: Christine...very nice post. Proud of you too.
2009-10-06 6:22 PM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia
Hey man, that is a great accomplishment to go from 290 to 265.  Keep it up.  Hell, my wife wanted me to lose weight.  Last year I was 240, I said I would lose the weight and train for a triathlon, maybe Ironman, she was skeptical.  Did 7 and placed 3rd in my category 2x this year.  I just complete Ironman Augusta, trained 9 months, signed up for Ironman Louisville and oh, lost 35 pounds.  What does she do, about how much time , maybe 10 hours a week I train!  So co workes, hell, my wife gives me a hard time.

Keep it up dude and if you want someone to say good job, look in the mirro and at the scales!  You are who counts dude.

Now where are those damn cookies!  Im hungry!
2009-10-06 7:20 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
This past Monday morning "how was your weekend" conversation at the office at 8 am.

```````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````

"Joyce, how was your weekend?"  <Joyce goes on for 10 min about driving to Charlotte for her granddaughters birthday and glad it did not rain etc, etc, etc.>

"Carol, how was your weekend?"  <Carol goes on for 10 min about driving up to Mt Airy and finding some cute little craft shops and holiday decorations and how she wishes she would have bought the scarf she saw up there, etc, etc, etc.>.

"Maria, how about you?"  I say, "Well I competed in a triathlon and finished in the top 25%!"

The room becomes silent.

Joyce looks at Carol and says, 'So Carol, getting back to those shops; how far of a drive is that?"

2009-10-06 8:05 PM
in reply to: #2446422

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
maria40nc - 2009-10-06 9:20 PM This past Monday morning "how was your weekend" conversation at the office at 8 am.

"Joyce, how was your weekend?" 

"Carol, how was your weekend?"  .

"Maria, how about you?"  I say, "Well I competed in a triathlon and finished in the top 25%!"

The room becomes silent.

Joyce looks at Carol and says, 'So Carol, getting back to those shops; how far of a drive is that?"

Ain't that the truth. And it was repeated in thousands of offices around the continent yesterday.
2009-10-06 8:09 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
I agree with most of what has been said, but I try hard not to be one of those coworkers you describe.
I have done 4 or 5 half marathons, and will be doing my second full mary this year, but when another woman in my department took up running and entered a 5K, I asked her all the time how it was going. She was a little shy at first and would say, "Oh, it's nothing compared to what you do," but I always said it was a big deal, and she should be proud of it. I ask her every Monday how her long run went. In fact, I am having an after-marathon party this year, and she is coming to it because she is doing the half.

I think it's crappy for people not to be supportive of others who are starting out. I guess the whole point of BT is to do that. I just try also to do that in other aspects of my life.
2009-10-06 8:50 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-10-06 9:02 PM

Pro
Burbs
I guess I'm lucky... my co workers either care or are good at pretending to care

then again, we're all pretty good friends and everyone knows what is going on in each other's lives.
2009-10-06 9:40 PM

Pro
MA
maria40nc - 2009-10-06 8:20 PM This past Monday morning "how was your weekend" conversation at the office at 8 am.

"Joyce, how was your weekend?" 

"Carol, how was your weekend?"  .

The room becomes silent.

I think it might have to do with Joyce and Carol felt intimidated / didn't know how to reply. 
When I told my parents about starting triathlon they were like "wow" and didn't know what to say.  To avoid sounding stupid they changed subject. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Haters Rss Feed  

of 2