www.redrockco.com
89F / 32C
Overcast
Total Time = 6h 45m 47s
Overall Rank = 765/897
Age Group = 35-39 F
Age Group Rank = 42/57
Pre-race routine:

Egg and toast at 4:00 a.m. Got running water bottle out of freezer, filled Speedfill with ice, bathed in sunscreen and Aquaphor. Arrived at transition around 5:40. Should have arrived earlier. Went through checklist to set up bike and transition, but missed setting out sunglasses, which cost time later.
Swim
  • 50m 3s
  • 2000 meters
  • 02m 30s / 100 meters
Comments:

Felt great on swim! No panic, sang songs in my head, didn't stop EVER except momentarily to sight when goggles fogged. Kept going past last buoy, which cost a little time until I figured that no one was around me. BUT triumph of triumphs - I actually passed swimcaps of OTHER waves! First time ever. I was NOT the last one out of the water, even though I started in the last wave. WOO HOO!!!
What would you do differently?:

Make sure I know what the last buoy looks like. They said a large yellow buoy, but there were smaller yellow buoys along the way, and I didn't know which was which. Sighting continues to be a problem, but I did much better this race than previous races in Tempe Town lake. I also really need to learn how to swim more efficiently, because even though it was good for me, my time really still sucks.
Transition 1
  • 02m 25s
Comments:

Felt really good coming out of the swim. Was stoked! Hadn't done the wetsuit stripping before - thank you SOMA for providing wetsuit strippers! That worked really well, and I ran to transition. Lost several seconds looking for my sunglasses, which were not only still in my transition bag but were also zipped up in the case! Big boo boo!

Make sure glasses are out in helmet when setting up transition.
Bike
  • 3h 20m 13s
  • 56 miles
  • 16.78 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike time includes changing rear flat during first loop. Tire change took approx. 9 minutes (Garmin said I completed course in 3:11, and official time is 3:20). Rode past cyclist injured after being hit by car on second loop and had some mental heebee geebees from recently seeing my hubby injured in a bike crash, and it took a mile or so to calm down and get my head back on the race. For another couple of miles I was questioning the importance of the race, etc., but shook it off. My nutrition was spot-on -- I ate a salt tablet and a piece of Larabar Cherry Pie (MY NEW FAVORITE BIKE FOOD!!!) every half hour. Perfect amount of nutrition, although I did run out of water in the Speedfill on the third loop; picked up bottle at last bike aid station, drank some and put some in the Speedfill (while STILL CYCLING - WHAT A FEAT FOR ME!!!). Had to avoid two cars that went through the course in front of me on the third loop down Rio Salado along Tempe Marketplace when bike traffic was sporadic. Neither car was close enough to do an emergency stop, but I did have to brake for both cars (two separate incidents - one when I was heading east and the other about 15 minutes later heading west).

Need to work on overall speed on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 02m 41s
Comments:

Probably could have done a little better on this, but I don't practice getting out of shoes, etc., yet. Otherwise, transition was good for me.
Run
  • 2h 30m 37s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

Goal here was to beat the Vineman run, which was around 2:50. Actually thought I did better than 2;30, but I'll take it because it was still hot with no shade. Ran out of transition to first aid station. Carried my own water bottle and filled it with water/ice at every aid station. Put ice in hat at nearly every aid station. With these measures, was able to stay cool and run from aid station to aid station. Probably stopped a little too long at some aid stations. Walked with Milton for a little bit on loop 1, but that was pretty close to an aid station so I didn't mind. Ate 1-2 orange slices at every aid station. Drank Coke at one, decided no more Coke. Attempted to eat one salt tablet on the run, but by then they had disintegrated in my racebelt pocket. Overall was really happy with the run, especially since I had damaged the big toe on my left foot on Saturday and it hurt with every step.

Figure out how to keep the salt tablets from getting wet and disintegrating so I can keep salt in my system on the run without using Gatorade. Get to the point where I don't need water/ice at every aid station so I can skip a few during the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, waited for other athletes to come in, stretched calves. Drank more water and a little Gatorade. Ate a little pasta and animal crackers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, heat. Need more training, less heat. :)

Event comments:

Thank you Red Rock for the oranges and ice! Besides trying to get rid of some of the u-turns, the only other thing I'd recommend for this race is to have sunscreen available at one or two aid stations. I sure could have used a little more toward the end of the day. Otherwise, great race, spectator friendly.

Last updated: 2009-08-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:50:03 | 2000 meters | 02m 30s / 100meters
Age Group: 47/57
Overall: 0/897
Performance: Good
Suit: full-sleeve Blue Seventy
Course: Rectangular in man-made lake; begin to the east (into full sun)
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:25
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:20:13 | 56 miles | 16.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 41/57
Wind: Little
Course: Urban, three loops, "hills" were essentially over and underpasses, lots of U-turns (15 total), mostly smooth pavement
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:30:37 | 13.1 miles | 11m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 41/57
Course: Two loops around Tempe Town Lake, plus a little out-and-back. Essentially flat course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-10-27 5:47 PM

User image

Expert
Tempe
Silver member
Subject: SOMA HALF IRON DISTANCE TRIATHLON

2009-10-28 12:10 AM
in reply to: #2482711

User image

Expert
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: RE: SOMA HALF IRON DISTANCE TRIATHLON

Awesome job out there kim! I think the flat would have ruined my day. You put together such a solid race! Great swim, overcome flat, and totally rock the run. Great job!

2009-10-28 11:28 AM

User image

Expert
Very impressive Kim and great race report! Just think if you didn't have the flat.. you would have crushed your goal time even more! Awesome job!
2009-10-28 12:20 PM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
I didn't know you had a flat. It's great that you didn't let it get you down. Great work out there.

Congrats, Kim!
2009-10-28 2:04 PM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona

Banner race for you, Kim!!!  You overcame some mental and physical obstacles and still crushed your goal time - imagine what you will do when you don't have the misfortune of a flat the next time out.  I think it speaks volumes about your swim improvement when you are critiquing your sighting instead of dissecting panic - you have come SUCH a long way - CONGRATULATIONS!!!

2009-10-28 2:36 PM
in reply to: #2484654

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
BHannahs - 2009-10-28 12:04 PM

Banner race for you, Kim!!!  You overcame some mental and physical obstacles and still crushed your goal time - imagine what you will do when you don't have the misfortune of a flat the next time out.  I think it speaks volumes about your swim improvement when you are critiquing your sighting instead of dissecting panic - you have come SUCH a long way - CONGRATULATIONS!!!

I agree with Brian about your swimming. You and I have swum at Lake Pleasant a lot over the last year, and your transformation is truly unique. You stuck with it, and now you're comfortable out there. 2010 can only bring more improvements. You must be so excited.

2009-10-28 5:04 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

Well done Kim! So glad to read that you were comfortable on the swim Nice to see you out there. Congrats on a great race!  

2009-10-28 9:46 PM

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona

Awesome race Kim!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SOMA HALF IRON DISTANCE TRIATHLON Rss Feed