General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 104

2009-11-21 11:47 PM
in reply to: #2525196

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida : Official Thread

-An Ironman is not made in 140.6 miles; an Ironman is forged through countless early morning wake ups, gallons of sweat, hundreds of miles of focus, and many months of self-discipline. Like steel, an Ironman enters the fire, is softened, and beat down, and shaped, and molded, and in the end is solid and strong. Tomorrow, I will be an Ironman

That's excellent!  I"m going to print that out and post it on my desk!

2009-11-22 9:43 AM
in reply to: #2524685

User image

Veteran
Alexandria, VA
alicia123 - 2009-11-20 10:51 PM

Justin (Maryland)
p.s. Anyone in the Baltimore area, Im looking for training buddies.
jccbulldog
KathyG - Thrid
tridawg72 - Second
ballyard7 - Second
Nats (Nathalie) - First
VolsFan - First
millco - Eigth!
jcnipper (Josh) - First
cwsiii - Forth
CAVU9 - Second
ras26 (Becky) - First
bar92 - First
JackieSBR - First
chriselam - Second
jaro0606 (Jane) - Third
bzvbtc - Second
mandy7741 (Amanda) - First
mdg2003 - First
F1Longhorn - First
nathaliemonique (Nathalie) - Third
alicia123 - First- (Alicia- From New York)
*cap* (Doug) - Second
kenj (Ken) - Second
Lisa F - Second
TriManGA - First
Thegomer - Second
bar92 (Briana) - first
marathongirl11 (Stacie) - Second attempt
Mike Ervolina - First
Catwoman (Renee) - Second
Socks (Sue) - Forth
gleser - First
JashaC - Second
Frosty12 (John) - First
cdhynson - Sixth!
bschulte - Sixth!
LG7002 - Second
lhankus (lindsey)
zaichikmiller (Felix)
jldicarlo (Jennifer) - Second
ptmegan - First
trigirl74 (kim) - First
Griz (Clark)-First
----
LG7002
Bschulte
cdhynson Fourth IMFL
bzvbtc
troyboy (Dave)
Mimir98 (Mimi) - Third
IMFLFsusoccplaya- RJ.
gravesjo (Justin) - FIRST
Akrakowski (Andy) First!

2009-11-22 1:22 PM
in reply to: #2512129

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
Listening to the IMAZ coverage while I'm working.  I partially heard that one of the pros picked up the wrong bag coming into T1.  and ended up having to take it back.  --Now I don't feel quite so dumb.  I did the same thing at IMFL in 08.  So here's the lesson:  Be sure you KNOW your race number.  Check your bag when you get it.
2009-11-22 8:41 PM
in reply to: #2525803

User image

Expert
Tulsa

Guys!! There is a simple solution to your dark problem.  Just finish before the sun goes down!! Lol if only it were that easy.

2009-11-22 8:42 PM
in reply to: #2526320

User image

Champion
MA
ballyard7 - 2009-11-22 9:41 PM

Guys!! There is a simple solution to your dark problem.  Just finish before the sun goes down!! Lol if only it were that easy.

We do get an extra hour in '10 as time change is night after our race so we get to ~6:10 pm so all of us that can do 11:10 or faster are good for not needing lights. Who's game?

Edited by KathyG 2009-11-22 8:47 PM
2009-11-23 7:17 AM

User image

Expert
alicia123 - 2009-11-20 10:51 PM

Justin (Maryland)
jccbulldog
KathyG - Thrid
tridawg72 - Second
ballyard7 - Second
Nats (Nathalie) - First
VolsFan - First
millco - Eigth!
jcnipper (Josh) - First
cwsiii - Forth
CAVU9 - Second
ras26 (Becky) - First
bar92 - First
JackieSBR - First
chriselam - Second
jaro0606 (Jane) - Third
bzvbtc - Second
mdg2003 - First
F1Longhorn - First
*cap* (Doug) - Second
kenj (Ken) - Second
Lisa F - Second
TriManGA - First
Thegomer - Second
bar92 (Briana) - first
Mike Ervolina - First
Socks (Sue) - Forth
gleser - First
JashaC - Second
Frosty12 (John) - First
cdhynson - Sixth!
bschulte - Sixth!
LG7002 - Second
lhankus (lindsey)
zaichikmiller (Felix)
ptmegan - First
trigirl74 (kim) - First
Griz (Clark)-First
----
LG7002
Bschulte
cdhynson Fourth IMFL
bzvbtc
troyboy (Dave)
Mimir98 (Mimi) - Third
IMFLFsusoccplaya- RJ.
Akrakowski (Andy) First!
TrishM (Trish!) FIRST
rgr375 (Dave) Second

I added my #1 training partner rgr375 too....he is the reason my name is on this list!!!  Time will tell if I love him for it, or NOT!  ;-)

2009-11-23 10:08 AM
in reply to: #2524616

User image

Veteran
Panama City Beach
Griz - 2009-11-20 8:26 PM I don't know how true this is but a friend who trains with me said they are going to move the finish line back in front of the boardwalk next year.  He was told the reason it was where it was this year is because of the construction at the boardwalk.   He competed in 2008. 

I like the way it was set up this year.  He said he liked the run halfway turn around better.  He said that in 2008 the turn around was right at the finish line on the main stretch in front of the boardwalk which he said messed with your mind a little.  This will be my first full so I am excited.  I have done  several sprints as well as HIM.

I am going to sign up for the Gulf Coast Triathlon in PC.  It is the same course as IM but half.  I think it is May 9.  Are any of you planning on competeing?  I did it last year.  It was hot but fun.  Hope we can get as many posts as the last IMFL thread. 

Griz, I'll be doing the GC Tri too on May 8th.  It will be a lot of fun.  I'm hearing all kinds of rumors hear about next years start/finish.  I've even heard that the Boardwalk may go belly up.  Seems we won't know for sure until it gets closer.  I got to worry about the workouts in general before I can even get the finish/start.  Good luck w/ everything!!
2009-11-23 11:12 AM
in reply to: #2526324

User image

Champion
Evergreen, Colorado
KathyG - 2009-11-22 8:42 PM

We do get an extra hour in '10 as time change is night after our race so we get to ~6:10 pm so all of us that can do 11:10 or faster are good for not needing lights. Who's game?

Oh, good.  How did that work out that way?  I would think it's always the first weekend in November so I was confused when the time changed sort of in October last round....

Anyway, glad for the extra hour of daylight...I don't mind running in the dark, but it's a good motivation tool to try to be done with XX amount before it gets dark.  At IMAZ I wanted to be done with the first loop of the run before dark...and I was!  That will be harder at IMFL since it's only a two loop run!

And this means the day after the race we get an extra hour of sleep, right?
2009-11-23 6:12 PM
in reply to: #2526907

User image

New user
VolsFan, I'm in for the GC Tri as well in May. Heard it was super hot last year. Anyone else had experience with that race??

Edited by TriManGA 2009-11-23 6:12 PM
2009-11-23 8:32 PM

User image

Expert
I signed up on the roll call threa on the other list, but adding my name here too.  My 29th birthday is this week, so I'm be completing my first ironman a few weeks before my 30th birthday.  I got my birthday present from my dad last weekend.  He and my stepmom are going to come down for IM (we are in Ontario).  They are renting a condo at the Dunes (2 bed, 2 bath) for the month of November, and DH and I are going to stay with them!!!  very exciting that it is finally starting   I also had my first IM dreams on Saturday night.  I'm sure there will be many more restless nights ahead Laughing.  My dad's two sisters also go down for november every year, so I'll have a big cheering section there. 

Justin (Maryland)
jccbulldog
KathyG - Thrid
tridawg72 - Second
ballyard7 - Second
Nats (Nathalie) - First
VolsFan - First
millco - Eigth!
jcnipper (Josh) - First
cwsiii - Forth
CAVU9 - Second
ras26 (Becky) - First
bar92 - First
JackieSBR - First
chriselam - Second
jaro0606 (Jane) - Third
bzvbtc - Second
mdg2003 - First
F1Longhorn - First
*cap* (Doug) - Second
kenj (Ken) - Second
Lisa F - Second
TriManGA - First
Thegomer - Second
bar92 (Briana) - first
Mike Ervolina - First
Socks (Sue) - Forth
gleser - First
JashaC - Second
Frosty12 (John) - First
cdhynson - Sixth!
bschulte - Sixth!
LG7002 - Second
lhankus (lindsey)
zaichikmiller (Felix)
ptmegan - First
trigirl74 (kim) - First
Griz (Clark)-First
----
LG7002
Bschulte
cdhynson Fourth IMFL
bzvbtc
troyboy (Dave)
Mimir98 (Mimi) - Third
IMFLFsusoccplaya- RJ.
Akrakowski (Andy) First!
TrishM (Trish!) FIRST
rgr375 (Dave) Second
Daffodil (Laura) First
2009-11-23 9:24 PM

User image

Expert
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Silver member
I did send a quick note through IM to the Race Director about the light.  here is his reply:

Jasha,

I have recently found out this was a problem and will correct it next year.  We thought we had enough light towers ordered and there would be sufficient light for all. The last thing we want is for anyone to get injured whether it be an athlete or volunteer. I am sorry we miscalculated our lighting requirement and will see that it is corrected next year. I hope everything else was to your satisfaction and look forward to seeing you in the coming year.

Nice reply, eh?  And he responded very quickly. 

I still think it might be a good idea to have a small light.  Oh and you might need one if you use a changing tent before the swim.  It was dark in there in 08.   

Edited by jashac 2009-11-23 9:51 PM

2009-11-23 10:39 PM
in reply to: #2526324

User image

Expert
Austin
KathyG - 2009-11-22 8:42 PM

Alright 11:10 something to shoot for finish line pictures look better in sunlight anyways right?
2009-11-24 10:36 AM

User image

Veteran
Panama City Beach
Kyle, you are the man if you make it in by 11hrs!  I'll think time after I finish Gulf Coast Half in May...same course...that way i'll have an idea of what more to expect. 

Right now I'm trying to get my a$$ past being sore/numb on the saddle.  Trying to figure if it is due to being off the bike for a bit.  I'm looking at split saddles too as an alternative...

Have a great week everyone!  Happy Thanksgiving!!
2009-11-24 6:42 PM

User image

Hey guys... this will be my first IM.. I am seeing some forum traffic that the start finish may change.  What's the deal with that?  Has it changed over the years?  Looking forward to traveling to Panama City Beach to check things out.  Is Gulf Coast Tri on the same course?  

2009-11-24 7:56 PM

Regular
Maryland

Just added my name: dnp72178 (Dan).  This is my 1st IM and am very pumped.  Lots of family coming down to support me!  Can't wait!!!

Justin (Maryland)
jccbulldog
KathyG - Thrid
tridawg72 - Second
ballyard7 - Second
Nats (Nathalie) - First
VolsFan - First
millco - Eigth!
jcnipper (Josh) - First
cwsiii - Forth
CAVU9 - Second
ras26 (Becky) - First
bar92 - First
JackieSBR - First
chriselam - Second
jaro0606 (Jane) - Third
bzvbtc - Second
mdg2003 - First
F1Longhorn - First
*cap* (Doug) - Second
kenj (Ken) - Second
Lisa F - Second
TriManGA - First
Thegomer - Second
bar92 (Briana) - first
Mike Ervolina - First
Socks (Sue) - Forth
gleser - First
JashaC - Second
Frosty12 (John) - First
cdhynson - Sixth!
bschulte - Sixth!
LG7002 - Second
lhankus (lindsey)
zaichikmiller (Felix)
ptmegan - First
trigirl74 (kim) - First
Griz (Clark)-First
----
LG7002
Bschulte
cdhynson Fourth IMFL
bzvbtc
troyboy (Dave)
Mimir98 (Mimi) - Third
IMFLFsusoccplaya- RJ.
Akrakowski (Andy) First!
TrishM (Trish!) FIRST
rgr375 (Dave) Second
Daffodil (Laura) First
dnp72178 (Dan) First

2009-11-24 9:23 PM
in reply to: #2529131

User image

Expert
Austin
VolsFan - 2009-11-24 10:36 AM Kyle, you are the man if you make it in by 11hrs!  I'll think time after I finish Gulf Coast Half in May...same course...that way i'll have an idea of what more to expect. 

Right now I'm trying to get my a$$ past being sore/numb on the saddle.  Trying to figure if it is due to being off the bike for a bit.  I'm looking at split saddles too as an alternative...

We'll see how my long training days stack up before I make any grandiose predictions on 11 hours . The last post was definite positive thinking.

2009-11-25 7:08 AM
in reply to: #2526907

User image

Birmingham, Al
VolsFan - 2009-11-23 10:08 AM
Griz - 2009-11-20 8:26 PM I don't know how true this is but a friend who trains with me said they are going to move the finish line back in front of the boardwalk next year.  He was told the reason it was where it was this year is because of the construction at the boardwalk.   He competed in 2008. 

I like the way it was set up this year.  He said he liked the run halfway turn around better.  He said that in 2008 the turn around was right at the finish line on the main stretch in front of the boardwalk which he said messed with your mind a little.  This will be my first full so I am excited.  I have done  several sprints as well as HIM.

I am going to sign up for the Gulf Coast Triathlon in PC.  It is the same course as IM but half.  I think it is May 9.  Are any of you planning on competeing?  I did it last year.  It was hot but fun.  Hope we can get as many posts as the last IMFL thread. 

Griz, I'll be doing the GC Tri too on May 8th.  It will be a lot of fun.  I'm hearing all kinds of rumors hear about next years start/finish.  I've even heard that the Boardwalk may go belly up.  Seems we won't know for sure until it gets closer.  I got to worry about the workouts in general before I can even get the finish/start.  Good luck w/ everything!!

You will do fine at GC.  In one of your posts you were talking about buying a split saddle seat.  I just bought an Adamo racing saddle.  I had to get the set up on my bike changed up a little but so far it feels pretty good.  I have only put about 50 miles on it.  I will let you know the out come.  I think I payed around 160.00 for it. 

I have a P2c and the factory seat was killing me.  I was fine until I got down in the tri bars and then after about 10 miles I became very uncomfortable.  I read a lot of good reviews on the ISM Adamo seat.  I figured I would try it out.  Give me a couple of more weeks and I will give you a review on it. 

Have a good day!
2009-11-25 1:05 PM
in reply to: #2529131

User image

Expert
Tulsa

VolsFan - 2009-11-24 10:36 AM Kyle, you are the man if you make it in by 11hrs!  I'll think time after I finish Gulf Coast Half in May...same course...that way i'll have an idea of what more to expect. 

The sore part is from being off the bike for a while.  The numb part could be a number of things.  But what I did to fix the numb part was just start wearing tri shorts for all my rides.  You get used to the less padding.  I haven't had a numbing issue since.

2009-11-25 1:06 PM
in reply to: #2530173

User image

Expert
Tulsa

trizoo - 2009-11-24 6:42 PM

Hey guys... this will be my first IM.. I am seeing some forum traffic that the start finish may change.  What's the deal with that?  Has it changed over the years?  Looking forward to traveling to Panama City Beach to check things out.  Is Gulf Coast Tri on the same course?  

It better not change because i just booked a 5 bedroom house near the start.

2009-11-25 2:39 PM
in reply to: #2531438

User image

Veteran
Panama City Beach
ballyard7 - 2009-11-25 1:05 PM

The sore part is from being off the bike for a while.  The numb part could be a number of things.  But what I did to fix the numb part was just start wearing tri shorts for all my rides.  You get used to the less padding.  I haven't had a numbing issue since.

Thanks for the feedback!  I've had issues w/ numbness since I started riding bikes.  The soreness I can get over.  The numbness has been w/ 3 saddles, cycling shorts, tri shorts, shifting saddle slightly left and down.  I'm going to try the split seat concept w/ one of the demo the bike shop has this weekend.  Worth a shot...not a fan of the numbness...pain/soreness I can handle...
2009-11-25 7:50 PM
in reply to: #2531441

User image

Birmingham, Al
ballyard7 - 2009-11-25 1:06 PM

trizoo - 2009-11-24 6:42 PM

It better not change because i just booked a 5 bedroom house near the start.

I had heard while at the IMFL this year that the finish line will move back to the Boardwalk instead of staying at spinikers.  I was told the only reason it was moved this year is because there was construction at the boardwalk.  Everything else they said would stay the same.  I got my information from one of the Ironman employees while volunteering.  

Got to get back in the kitchen and act like I care about cooking.  My wife is giving me the deadly eyes.  Hope everyone has a good thanksgiving.  I plan on doing a long ride friday morning and then watching the Ironbowl.  (War Eagle)

2009-11-25 8:15 PM

User image

Expert
I have seem that some people have done an aquabike before their ironman - what do people think?  there is one about 3 hours from where I live.

I also saw that Tara Costa (from bigest loser fame) is doing an iron distance race next year. 
2009-11-26 1:03 AM

User image

Veteran
Chesapeake, VA
One more time to try and get my name to stay stuck on the list, then I'm just going to the corner to sulk.

Justin (Maryland)
jccbulldog
KathyG - Thrid
tridawg72 - Second
ballyard7 - Second
Nats (Nathalie) - First
VolsFan - First
millco - Eigth!
jcnipper (Josh) - First
cwsiii - Forth
CAVU9 - Second
ras26 (Becky) - First
bar92 - First
JackieSBR - First
chriselam - Second
jaro0606 (Jane) - Third
bzvbtc - Second
mdg2003 - First
F1Longhorn - First
*cap* (Doug) - Second
kenj (Ken) - Second
Lisa F - Second
TriManGA - First
Thegomer - Second
bar92 (Briana) - first
Mike Ervolina - First
Socks (Sue) - Forth
gleser - First
JashaC - Second
Frosty12 (John) - First
cdhynson - Sixth!
bschulte - Sixth!
LG7002 - Second
lhankus (lindsey)
zaichikmiller (Felix)
ptmegan - First
trigirl74 (kim) - First
Griz (Clark)-First
----
LG7002
Bschulte
cdhynson Fourth IMFL
bzvbtc
troyboy (Dave)
Mimir98 (Mimi) - Third
IMFLFsusoccplaya- RJ.
Akrakowski (Andy) First!
TrishM (Trish!) FIRST
rgr375 (Dave) Second
Daffodil (Laura) First
dnp72178 (Dan) First
mikerunkle(Mike) First

Edited by mikerunkle 2009-11-26 1:04 AM
2009-11-26 7:37 AM
in reply to: #2523171

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
gravesjo - 2009-11-20 6:35 AM Hey fellow BTer's.  Looking forward to a crazy year.  Already kinda freaking out about the amount of training involved but I will get through it! 

Justin (Maryland)

Have you posted in the Maryland forum?   There are quite a few peeps that post there, and we often meet up for training rides (and a few happy hours).
--Josh
2009-11-26 8:20 AM
in reply to: #2531957

User image

Champion
MA
Daffodil - 2009-11-25 9:15 PM I have seem that some people have done an aquabike before their ironman - what do people think?  there is one about 3 hours from where I live.

I also saw that Tara Costa (from bigest loser fame) is doing an iron distance race next year. 

First IM I did, I did no races longer than Oly before race that season but it was a July IM.

This year I did HIM and a HIM relay as the biker plus Oly and sprints before my late August IM.

With IMFL so late in the season my race layout will be different. I will do a group of races early through June and considering doing two HIMs, then take a mid season break, then start to build to IMFL. Locally there was an IM with a aquabike option with ocean swim which I tought would be perfect to practice everything race day...clothes, nutrition, pacing, but in '10 they aren't offering it. I am considering going to MD (I live in MA) to do the Cheasapeak IM aquabike in late September..practice on similar terrain and condition...flat, windy and ocean swim and zero in my pacing.

Compared to training day it is expensive but I think it can be helpful to learn a lot about your race plan and if works for you. Many of the BTers doing IMs  in November did Cheasapeak and most did short runs afterwards. I see it a big confidence builder for first timers.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Florida : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 104