General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nation's Triathlon - advice please :) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-01-10 10:21 PM

User image

Sterling, VA
Subject: Nation's Triathlon - advice please :)
Hey all,

This may be the wrong place for this post, but I need some advice about the Nation's Tri in Washington, D.C. http://www.nationstri.com/home.html

In 2009 I competed in my first Sprint Tri and LOVED it!  Since it's winter obviously I haven't been able to do any tri's since then, but I have still been keeping up with my biking, swimming, and running.  I plan on doing possibly 2 more sprint triathlons this summer, one at the beginning of summer and one around June/July.

That being said, one of my goals this year is to do an Olympic Tri.  I was looking for one in my area (Northern VA) and saw that the Nation's Tri looks pretty cool.  Has anyone competed in it?  Do you think that would be a smart decision for my first Olympic Tri?  Also, do you think I need more sprint tri's under my belt before attempting an Olympic (the Nation's Tri is on Sept. 12)?  Hopefully you guys can help me out...I appreciate ANY feedback!  Thanks so much in advance

2010-01-11 7:00 AM
in reply to: #2606786

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Subject: RE: Nation's Triathlon - advice please :)
I've not done this race but what I've heard is that it's fast and flat.  You'll probably also hear the usual "ewww, swimming in the Potomac" cliche, but the Potomac is fine to swim in.

I don't see any problem at all in doing an Oly this year if you train properly... you don't even necessarily *need* to do more sprints in between, but of course they won't hurt.

Pick a plan, stick to it, and you'll be fine.  Good luck!
2010-01-11 7:08 AM

User image

alexandria, VA
nations was my first triathlon ever when i did it in 2008.  i think its a great first olympic distance tri and as long as you stick to the training you should be fine.  its a large race (4500 people last year i think), and i think that helps in your first olympic because there will always be people around you (then again if you dont like crowds you might want to find a different race).   the bike and run course are as flat as you can ask for and they have plenty of great volunteers.  i dont think you need any more sprints unless you want to do them - personally i love racing so i like to do as many as possible.

Edited by trakie 2010-01-11 7:08 AM
2010-01-11 7:08 AM
in reply to: #2606933

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
Did it as a relay a couple years ago.  NL is right, fast and flat and when we did it, very hot.  Tons and tons of people, even bigger now.

There are plenty of sprints before then if you want the practice. 

As far as doing it or not, I guess it depends on how comfortable you are with OWS.  It was a huge difference for me going from pool (not a great swimmer) to my first OWS (almost 30 minutes for 750M)

If you are cool with the swim, then the rest should be doable.
2010-01-11 8:40 AM
in reply to: #2606937

User image

Sterling, VA
Thanks for all your responses!  I'm gonna take the plunge and sign up   Excited!
2010-01-11 8:42 AM

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA

You don't need anything under your belt except for proper training to do an Olympic length triathlon IMO.  If you're able to make the distances reasonably it seems to be a relatively flat course that would make for a slightly crowded, yet manageable first Olympic.  

Not sure how familiar you are with the site, but you can go to the race's designated page on this site and read race reports from others that have done the race.  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/directory/link-detail.asp?linkid=6251

You can also click the "Races" button above to pull up regional races in a chronological listing.  There is also a Tri-DC magazine in some bike shops (free-usually in a rack by the door) that has a calendar of area races... some of which are not listed here or on the VTS site.  Good luck with your Olympic race goal.      

2010-01-11 9:02 AM

User image

Pro
Olney, MD
I haven't done the race but I've heard talk that the logistics for getting in, around, and out can be annoying. I recommend that you read some race reports. Good luck and have fun.
2010-01-11 9:49 AM

User image

Veteran
Does this race usually sell out and if so by when usually?

thansks!
Matt
2010-01-11 9:54 AM
in reply to: #2607313

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia
mwhitely - 2010-01-11 10:49 AM Does this race usually sell out and if so by when usually?

thansks!
Matt

It has sold out the last 3 years.  Can't remember when though. 

I think If you sign up for their mailing list they'll keep you up to date on that though.
2010-01-11 2:11 PM
in reply to: #2607313

User image

NoVA
mwhitely - 2010-01-11 10:49 AM Does this race usually sell out and if so by when usually?

thansks!
Matt

it does usually sell out, but not early.   It's typically open until a month or so before the race. 
2010-01-11 3:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA

This is a comment from a very specific perspective, so I'd certainly entertain the thoughts of others who might disagree.  I watched the bike portion of the race for about an hour and a half from the Chain Bridge to see a couple of friends go by.  As a first Oly tri, it strikes me as an awfully crowded race.  The waves went off putting lots of people of varying capabiities in the same place at the same time.  I saw more than a few people going at warp speed manuevering around obvious BOPers.  Chain Bridge may have been a particular bottleneck, but there are other races late in the summer with a cap at about a sixth of NT.  Just an opinion from someone who has a lot of bike work to do to get comfortable riding in crowds.  Curious what others think.

2010-01-11 9:53 PM

I agree, you don't need to do any more sprints for this race!  Glad you are signing up, it is very flat as mentioned.  And, well supported through out with volunteers.

The race sold out in June I think of last year, it may sell out earlier this year.  Check the Facebook page for contests, prizes of tri gear, newbie advice, reviews, updates and more!

http://www.facebook.com/TheNationsTriathlon
2010-01-12 8:03 AM
in reply to: #2608903

User image

Expert
Culpeper, VA
harburgm - 2010-01-11 10:53 PM I agree, you don't need to do any more sprints for this race!  Glad you are signing up, it is very flat as mentioned.  And, well supported through out with volunteers.

The race sold out in June I think of last year, it may sell out earlier this year.  Check the Facebook page for contests, prizes of tri gear, newbie advice, reviews, updates and more!

http://www.facebook.com/TheNationsTriathlon

Just checked the page out and the buoys they are using this year look really cool.  Not only are they large, but they are putting them every 100m which should really help with course distinction/sighting.  
2010-01-12 3:33 PM

Regular
Vienna,VA
I did it last year and will sign up again this year. The only problem I had was the logistics of getting in and out but if you have someone drop you off then that problem is somewhat minimized. No need to do any more sprints unless you want to get the experience. Might consider doing another olympic as a "B" race and making Nations your "A" race.

Good luck.
2010-01-13 7:22 PM
in reply to: #2608284

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
KarmannGhia - 2010-01-11 3:37 PM

This is a comment from a very specific perspective, so I'd certainly entertain the thoughts of others who might disagree.  I watched the bike portion of the race for about an hour and a half from the Chain Bridge to see a couple of friends go by.  As a first Oly tri, it strikes me as an awfully crowded race.  The waves went off putting lots of people of varying capabiities in the same place at the same time.  I saw more than a few people going at warp speed manuevering around obvious BOPers.  Chain Bridge may have been a particular bottleneck, but there are other races late in the summer with a cap at about a sixth of NT.  Just an opinion from someone who has a lot of bike work to do to get comfortable riding in crowds.  Curious what others think.

Bike course did not seem crowded at all to me.  It was so wide in most parts that there was plenty of room to pass.  I raced with only 300 people in a race, and felt way more crowded and nervous about collisions.
2010-01-29 1:49 PM

User image

Regular
I did Nation's last year and loved it. I'm already signed up for next year. It was supposed to be my first tri, but I did the Luray Sprint as a warm up first in an effort to combat open water swim nerves (it helped!).  I really liked Nation's and I think it's great for a first timer. I liked that there were other competitors the whole course with me; I had company, and people to pass to motivate me.  The swim in the Potomac wasn't nearly as gross as people fear--it's murky water, that's about it.  The bike course is mostly flat, and the run course is very flat.  I signed up for a training program which helped me a lot as it was my first attempt at an olympic and it was good to have a coach help with recommending work outs, etc.  I think there are quite a few clubs in this area you could join, too.  I think a few sprints before is a great idea, if nothing else to help you get used to transitions and how you'll feel by the time you get to the run.  Good luck!!

Edited by hawaiihmb 2010-01-29 1:54 PM

2010-01-29 1:50 PM

User image

Regular
PS I found it helpful to go read the race reports for Nation's, you might want to do the same.
2010-01-30 11:55 AM

User image

Veteran
I came across this yesterday! It is put on by the same folks as the Nations Tri!
http://dctri.com/

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nation's Triathlon - advice please :) Rss Feed