General Discussion Race Reports! » Hamilton Lakes Splash N Dash Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Hamilton Lakes Splash N Dash - Biathlon (swim/run)

View Member's Race Log
Greensboro, NC
United States
OffNRunning Sports
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 44m 26s
Overall Rank = 8/27
Age Group = Male 0-99
Age Group Rank = 6/22
Pre-race routine:

Had stuff laid out last night and the race was close by, so got as much sleep as possible this morn. Smoothie on the way there. Water during check in and while we waited...there was a kid's tri in front of us.
Event warmup:

The kids tri that was going in front of us ran late, which screwed up the timing. Got about a 3/4 mile run in to warm up the legs, but a swim warmup was not possible.
Swim
  • 16m 10s
  • 1093 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

So things are running a little late due to kids tri, we get called over and are told to line up. Fast people on this side, slow people on this side. Everyone is like huh???? Circle swim..honor system...count your own laps. One more thing to think about. Thank God Denise was there...she counted laps for me. The kids sat right alongside the pool (I had an outside lane). They enjoyed the splash they were getting from being so close. My first 100m was blistering fast, then slowed down from there. Breathing was 90% bilat - every 3, but I dropped down to every 2 several occasions.

There were some accomplished swimmers in this race! One of the guys in my lane freaking lapped me with 2 laps to go. He was swimming a damn 1:16/100 M pace. Another guy - Master's category - finished ahead of me by a few seconds as well.

The lack of a warm up did me ugly...arms and ribs are complaining right now. Not terribly bad, but I expected to be faster. About half way through the race, I almost lost the stomach contents. Maybe it was the gel I had, or not enough water. I quickly checked for seagulls....didn't find any...and kept on swimming. G8RSAX would be pround of me.
What would you do differently?:

Get a warmup in ya dumbass. Keep working on anaerobic endurance and force workouts in the pool. Start to lengthen the sets in appropriate workouts...replace 100 and 200's with longer distances.
Transition 1
  • 00m 45s
Comments:

Was really feeling it after the swim. 5 of those seconds was getting my breath. Muscled on socks over top of wet feet with no problems.
Run
  • 27m 5s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Lets face it...my run blew. I lost all ground that I had from the swim and then some. Run was very hot! Did ok keeping cool, but had a lot of problems after reaching the top of a crest of a hill. My lungs would tighten up and I'd come close to hyperventilating. It would go away after I'd reduce pace. Ran hard down the downhills and tried to keep the legs turning over for the uphills. Passed 2 people and got passed by 2 people. 1 water stop which I passed 2 times...though the second time was also right at the finish, so I didn't use it. I took two cups...walked for about 5 seconds and drank as much as I could. The second one went on top of my head. If I were to run another hot race like this, I think a fuel belt is a wise investment.

Wow did it take a long time before I got into that running groove. The first 2 miles felt like I was gasping for air. Once I reached a point where things calmed down, I was able to turn on a little more juice. Definitely ran a neg split, but overall the time was slooooooow. Should have worn the Garmin to get my lap breakdown.
What would you do differently?:

Keep pushing on the run. Get mileage up so that these short courses don't seem so long. Work entirely on endurance for the rest of June.
Post race
Warm down:

Most races I finish, I'm able to walk around to catch my breath. Not this one. I crossed the line, and bent over at the waist and didn't move.

Sat down and drank a coke - no gatorade was available post race!!! Had a few dizzy spells standing back up. Got my hugs from the kids and the family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Ummm....I sucked. LOL! Run is major limiter.

Event comments:

Not doing this one again. Disappointed with how the swim was run...no one to count laps. Didn't care for the circle swim....not really what I was looking for.

Last updated: 2005-06-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:10 | 1093 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 0/27
Performance: Below average
Suit: Desoto Tri Shorts
Course: 50 m pool. Circle swim with 2 others in my lane.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Bad Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time:  00:45
Overall: Average
Removing cap, goggles and wetsuit: Good
Getting into shoes: Good
Running
00:27:05 | 03.1 miles | 08m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/22
Overall: 0/27
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 loop rolling hills
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2005-06-11 6:34 PM

User image

Master
Raleigh, North Carolina
Subject: Hamilton Lakes Splash N Dash

2005-06-11 6:59 PM
in reply to: #173069

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Subject: RE: Hamilton Lakes Splash N Dash

Jeff---You're absolutely right!! I AM PROUD OF YOU!!  Even if you didn't spew, you thought about it!!

You had a great race.  I can only wish for the day that my times look like yours!! Awesome job my friend!!

2005-06-11 7:37 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Nice work Jeff! That's awesome, great swim.  Got the family involved too, which for this race, was probably as important as anything...and now you've got a pretty good idea of what to do to get faster...all systems go!

Nice race, bro, especially doing it on relatively short notice.    And no wooden bridges...

2005-06-11 7:58 PM

User image

Master
Chicago

Jeff,

Great race buddy. Circle swims suck! But you did well. Blistering. Woo Hoo.

2005-06-12 8:07 AM

User image

Expert
Adrian, MI

Nice work Jeff!

GREAT pace...  did you do flip turns??  If you do flip turns... I bet you could shave off 2-4 seconds per hundred.  Your legs gotta be strong...I bet you could explode off the wall.  Y'know, if you do turns you can shave off 10-15 yds of swimming? 

I bet you can go 1:15 meter pace in a pool.  It's kinda like me saying, "dude, no way I can do 7 minute miles for a 1/2 mary".  So don't make it sound remarkable.  HUM.  I bet I could do 1:20 meter pace in a pool...  so you should be right there with me!

I think it was a good choice to start out at doing bilateral.  Yeah, it wears you out...but bilateral breathing also allows you to squeeze in several extra strokes per 100.  Also, everytime you breathe while swimming your body pauses and your momentum slows. 

I've had the same issues with hyperventilating on the run.  Not sure why... 

Regardless, glad your not satisfied... even though, lol!, you placed 8th OA! 

See you at FFF!  Maybe we could do a swim w/o on Thursday!  We could push each other and then hydrate after!!  There is NOTHING like a good meal and several BEERS after a hard and purifying swim.  Oh so sweet.

2005-06-12 5:47 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Hey Jeff....I still think its a great race..I can only dream about sub 9 minute miles...so don't complain too much.  Glad the knee is better.  Take care and have a good monday at work -SMO

2005-06-13 6:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Plant City, Florida
thanks goodness there were no wood bridges.....lol just kidding sounds like you worked your ass off for this one....great job it is tough in this kind of heat....just keep at it and you will be ready to crush the next one....congrats....
2005-06-13 10:03 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC
Great race Jeff.. You are such a strong swimmer; those split times are excellent! I wonder how many swimmers lost count of their laps?....Run sounded tough... Glad BonBon and the kids got to see you race another one!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Hamilton Lakes Splash N Dash Rss Feed