Snickers and City of Albany
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 43m 37s
Overall Rank = 172/579
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/22
Pre-race routine:

Drove down to Albany in the afternoon. Ran 1.5 miles before heading out to dinner. Ate just enough to get full and headed back to the room. I didn't sleep well which made me realize just how nervous I was.

Event warmup:

Not much here. I got to the race site 10 minutes before the race started. Jogged to the start line and seeded myself with the 3:40 pace group.
Run
  • 3h 43m 37s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 32s  min/mile
Comments:

I decided to start with the 3:40 pace group even though I wasn't confident in that pace. At the gun, the 3:40 pacer took off and I followed for about a half mile when the 3:50 pacer passed me. So I looked at my watch and I was at an 8:18 average. I needed a 3:24 average to BQ. So I knew the pacers were off so I decided right then to run my own race. Later this would prove to be fatal.

Miles 1-6: About a mile in to the race I met a girl, a very chatty girl, who was from Smyrna. She talked and talked and asked me a lot of questions. This was both good and bad. I knew I needed to concentrate but I also enjoyed having my mind distracted. These miles went by pretty quick. My average here was 8:24 according to my watch.

Miles 6-13: Joe ran up from behind me and joined me and my new running buddy. He saved me from having to talk anymore. These miles were pretty boring scenery wise but we kept moving forward as a tight little group of two. Thankfully, my chatty pal ran ahead around mile 9 leaving me and Joe. Here we decided the course was more hilly than people had suggested. Still though, I was on pace with an 8:24 average (according to my watch).

Miles 13-20: My legs were still feeling good and my body was holding up nicely at this point. We just crossed the half way point and I was feeling good. The miles were really passing by pretty quickly still and it was getting so nice out. By mile 16 I shed my long sleeve and was enjoying the sunshine. I stuck to my nutrition plan and was taking a gu every 5 miles. At mile 18 I decided that I needed to keep my pace of 8:24 until mile 24 where I would pick up the pace just by 10 seconds to bring it in for my goal time of 3:40. This seemed within reach, although it wasn't a certainty.

Miles 20-26.2(or 26.45): I couldn't believe how good I still felt at mile 20. Obviously, I was tired and sore but nothing like I expected. So I continued on my way. As I passed mile 22 I started to fatigue but I was right on that line of making my goal. My watch still read an 8:24 average. Mile 23 is where I realized the course was long and my watch was NOT in sync. So instead of being at an 8:24 average I was 5 seconds behind that all day long. I had 3.5 miles to go and 29 minutes to do it in. Math had not been my strong suit all day and it certainly wasn't at this point. I tried. I ran. But I knew that I was just not going to make it. My legs were so heavy at this point and my body just didn't want to move any faster. I ran to the end but when I came around the corner and saw the clock I was pretty heart broken. SO close.

By all accounts this course was a quarter mile long. Not just by my Garmin but by everyone else I talked to. I can't blame not qualifying on this but a quarter mile is an extra 2 minutes and if you do the math I was short by 2 minutes and 38 seconds. I could have found 38 seconds in the last 3 miles but 2 minutes and 38 seconds was just too big. I am at fault for not realizing well before mile 23 that my watch was not in sync with the mile markers. A big lesson learned. Among others. This was a PR so not a total bad day and really, I had a great race. It just hurts to know I came so close and wasn't able to overcome.

What would you do differently?:

Make sure my watch and mile markers match up and if they don't alter my pace so I'm still on course. Although, I'm not sure I could have maintained 5 seconds faster per mile. I will never know for this race. The thing is, given the course was long in reality I needed to run an 8:19 pace and who knows if I could have done that. I raced what I had to give and I gave it my all.

Post race
Warm down:

Drank beer. Celebrated my good friends success. Cheered in the rest of our group. Cried a little. :)

Event comments:

It was just an okay race. The expo is tiny so you definitely don't want to forget anything important. As I've mentioned, the course was long. :evil: The course itself wasn't terrible but it was less than scenic. I would maybe do this race again if a dear friend begged me. Not horrible but not great.

Last updated: 2009-12-14 12:00 AM
Running
03:43:37 | 26.2 miles | 08m 32s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/22
Overall: 172/579
Performance: Good
Course: Moderately hilly. Nothing like Atlanta but there were long inclines and shorter "hills" that were in succession. I can't say they were rolling, but they were present.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-03-09 8:19 AM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Snickers Marathon

2010-03-09 9:16 AM
in reply to: #2715880

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Snickers Marathon
Well it was a much better performance than it reads here for you.  I was impressed at the way you seemed to be getting stronger around 20/21 while I was heading for the weeds!  I call it a great race for you.  PR and certainly closer to your ultimate goal.  It is definitely there for you.  Thanks again for the opportunity to share some of it.  Well done!!!!  Laughing
2010-03-09 9:28 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Dang! You were close! I predict you get it next time..

Nice RR!
2010-03-09 11:29 AM

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Gosh- so darn close!  Sounds like you had a pretty good race despite the whole mishap with time calculalations.  That has happened to me so many times before that I have given up racing wiht my garmin because it always screws me up in races.  For some reason I do better with my sports watch and using those splits. 
2010-03-09 11:52 AM

User image

Great effort! You should definitely be proud of your race! I agree that the course was a bit long (my garmin showed 26.32), I also think there were so many turns, it was easy to add distance if one didn't one perfect tangents (and who really is focused on tangents when we're focused on breathing, running, drinking, gels, etc?). You will definitely get that BQ - 2.5 years after my first try for a BQ, I finally did it at this race, and it is so much sweeter after all I went through!
2010-03-09 12:12 PM

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Great job and oh so close! You'll get it next time for sure!

2010-03-09 1:29 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA

Congrats on another marathon finish and a PR! I know it wasn't the finish time you wanted but it sounds like you raced well. Keep seeking your goal because it will make you a stronger person mentally and physically, and you will be that much prouder of your BQ when you get it. 

I remember that course as being long too and I completely lost it when I hit 26.2 by satellite and had no clue where the finish was so you handled it better than I did! Congrats again!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Snickers Marathon Rss Feed