Set-up, Inc
64F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 32m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up and made some pancakes cause Max always tells me to eat pancakes on race day. Ummmm, I suck at making pancakes. Burned them again. So they got thrown in the trash and I had some mini bagels with peanutbutter. Drove up to the race, took as long on the back roads as it did to drive up 95 north.
We get there and the packet pick up lines are NOT moving well. So much for a real warm up....The lake looks choppy as hell. GREAT....NOT what I want to see at all....
Set up transition, get marked by a young kid, find my chip. Look over the entrances/ exits of the transition area.
Event warmup:

Get in the water. I forget my exact words but it was something like Holy F*cking God! Mind you, it' warmer than the water last year at this race but it's still cold and the chop SUCKS. Got out. Got back in, swam about 100 yards. Probably the longest real freestyle I did all day (seriously)
Swim
  • 51m 11s
  • 1640 yards
  • 03m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out by getting pummeled, punched and kicked almost at the horn. Swam most of the way to the first bouy and could not breathe. The chop was killing me. Screw it...Max once did a HIM swim doing backstroke, I'm doing backstrokeas much as I need to here. Most of the swim I was on my back. I'd roll over from time to time, do breast stroke to sight, try to freestyle and go back over on the back.
Stopped for a couple rest breaks on the back of kayaks. Caught my breath and continued on. Redirected a couple times.
At the last turn, only 300 yards from the finish I am ready to quit. Serious contemplation to taking a DNF. A canoer comes over and talks me through to the finish of the swim. He made my day.
What would you do differently?:

Either no more early season races or learn to freaking SWIM and not have these god awful disasters of races.
Transition 1
  • 02m 29s
Comments:

I walked up to transition...was in no hurry after being beaten to pieces in the water

run
Bike
  • 1h 25m 11s
  • 24 miles
  • 16.90 mile/hr
Comments:

Loop one started off slow for me. I didn't feel like I had my bike legs under me until mile 10. Didn't feel bad, just not great. The headwind was freaking ridiculous. Made the little rollers worse than they really were!
Loop 2 I felt a lot better, passed at least 10 or 12 people. Stayed in aero my whole ride, usually do a half in / half out kind of thing to turn. Made one completely aero turn and it kind of scared me but I was all impressed that I did it.
Saw the race photographer again on loop 2 and made him laugh cause I said I knew it meant T2 wasn't too far away (maybe 4 miles)
Another "all impressed with myself thing" was blowing snot rockets with staying in aero....looked in the mirror post race. Not as good as I thought.... snot was crusted all over m face! OOPS!

This was the highlight of my day...would not change a damn thing.

Maybe another gu on th ebike....

Transition 2
  • 03m 21s

What? I couldn't believe that transition was so long....hustle my a$$, I guess.
Run
  • 1h 14m 53s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Through the trail to the road, 2 loops up the road and back. I am looking for a portapotty....none on the course. I have a really full bladder and am in desperate need of an rstocks stop. Great, where's the bathroom? My calves kept cramping up on the first loop, kept having to take walk breaks. Made it through. Running back to the turnaround with a kid who is doing his first tri, he turned in to finish and I am asking "tell me again why I signed up for a HIM this year?" He laughs at me and turns in...
I am planning on telling the One More Mile tee shirt people that I want a shirt that says "Will run for a BATHROOM" cause I am desperate. As in Forcing myself to take water at the aid stations cause I know the body needs it still.....
Get to mile 3.5 or so and my feet are numb. I have fussed with my shoes for a good mile and cannot shake the numbness in my feet. It was like diabetic neuropathy they were asleep in the shoes. Screw this, took my shoes off. Finished out running the rest of the race in my socks. Got a lot of funny looks and comments about it. Took about a mile barefooted for the numbness to wear off. Whatever, desperate times called for desperate measures.
Had to walk on the gravel road and most of the trail to keep from hurting my feet but that was the most of a consecutive run I had once I took the shoes off.

Don't know for sure what caused my feet to go numb....were the shoes too tight? Wore the zoots with yanks and I have used them for bricks so I was used to them.
Other thought is nutrition? My heed ran out when I mixed my bottles up so maybe it was too watery?
Post race
Warm down:

Got my chip cut off and made a bee line for the portapotty. "I ran the last 6.2 miles looking for one of these"
My husband was wondering about the bare feet....had to explain that piece to him.
Got some food and watched the awards. Knew a lot of the podium finishers. Very cool. RTC was well represented with the podium.

I saw the canoer after the race, he was directing traffic. Made my husband stop the car, rolled down my window and shook his hand to thank him. Had it not been for that kid I may very well have quit that close to the swim finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I am a sucky swimmer and the chop killed me.
Not sure what caused my run issues today, makes me wonder about the zoots for oly's.

Event comments:

Set up does a good race. I think there could have been more kayakers out there with the chop but they did well with what they had. They DEFINITELY need to place portapottys on the run course!!
Post race party food was cold when I got done, just glad it was something would eat cause I was hungry.

The tee shirt makes this race.....it has the critters from Where the Wild Things Are on it!! Love it!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-01-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:51:11 | 1640 yards | 03m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 66F / 19C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:29
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:25:11 | 24 miles | 16.90 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: 2 loops around back country roads, rolling hills the whole way
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:21
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:14:53 | 06.21 miles | 12m 04s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Little trail run thn 2 loops out and back,finish on the trail
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-04-19 7:14 PM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: Rumpass in Bumpass International

2010-04-19 8:09 PM
in reply to: #2802803

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Rumpass in Bumpass International
Nice way to suck it up when going got tough and you kept going solving your issues and pushing forward.

Bummer about the waves making the swim that much tougher.

2010-04-19 8:12 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
You showed great mental effort to stick it out.  It the first race of the season with some tough conditions.   I read a few other reports and no one liked or did well on the swim.   You are headed the right way with your swimming getting a coach and he sounds good.  I'm sure when my feet went I would have tossed it in.  Take it easy for few days and recover.  Your next event is a bike and you rocked that.   Good job.
2010-04-19 8:17 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA

wow, tough race.  i think sometimes we get more out of days like that than when everything goes right.  don't beat yourself up too much.  that swim was ridiculous.  great job keeping your head down and getting it done!!!

2010-04-19 8:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Joisy
Judi you did great maybe the times don't show it, but there is more to race performance than times....you stuck it out, you were able to think through the race and some drastic conditions(waves, numb feet). 

Did the numbness go away when you took the shoes off, or did it linger?  That can give you some indication of the why?
2010-04-19 8:53 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Sorry about the tough conditions, but I think you did great sticking with it and overcoming all of that.  Learn your lessons and move on.  I have no doubt in my mind that everything is going to come together for you and you are going to have a GREAT race this season!

2010-04-19 9:28 PM

User image

Master
East Side of the Bay
Judi, just finishing that race was a victory! When you went to work on Monday how many other 50 yo women did you see who raced an OLy tri that weekend?  Give yourself some credit there girl, you are awesome!!!
2010-04-20 3:55 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Too bad the swim has to be the first event!  

Great job pushing through a difficult swim and finishing when many others would have given up or never started in the first place!

ETA: Maybe you have a point about skipping early season tri's with the questionable weather and cold weather! Stick to running races or du's early and do the tri's after you have a chance to get some OWS practice!!!

Edited by kenj 2010-04-20 3:58 AM
2010-04-20 9:45 AM

User image

Veteran
Great race report Judi! I love the line about the snot rockets. Made me laugh out loud!!

Sorry to hear about the feet. Is this your first race in the Zoots? I have just bought a pair, but have not done a race in them yet.

Congrats on pushing through the race! 
2010-04-20 1:07 PM

User image

New user

Hey Queenie,

You made me laugh...good on ya to get through this one...it sucked for most of us...I almost got in a boat as well - breast and side-stroked all the way to the first buoy - held onto the lifeguard floatie also. NOT fun...and I had private lessons and a $600 wetsuit! (rented, mind you).

For the swim, if you're not feeling that confident fresh feeling, you really must look into Total Immersion Swimming. I'm a runner by trade, and so not comfortable in the water. Knew if I wanted to keep doing tris, I'd have to at least have an efficient stroke so as not to get injured (wrecks havoc on neck and shoulder if you're not swimming properly).

I took it through Lloyd, a certified TIS instructor through his company, OnPoint Fitness in DC....all I can say is it changed my life. Best, best money I've spent. $395 for 6 1-hour sessions, but so worth it. Don't listen to people trying to teach you to swim...I picked up bad habits because of it. Spend the money and have someone REALLY teach you.

Nice job on the bike...look at your pedaling stroke or shoes on the bike when it comes to the numbness. Probably more from biking form than running....alot of bikers I know get this as well.

But you finished!  Think of it this way....they can only get better....and warmer!

Paula
2010-04-21 6:54 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
You did a great job Judi.  Don't let the swim issues get you down.  They should call that race the Kickyourass in the Bumpass.  Smile  You'll make a comeback with the next race.  And even though you had a tough race, you'll be baaaack!  Laughing

2010-04-22 5:43 PM

Expert

Judi that swim was so tough. My bud who has done Kona Savageman and every other super macho race said it was the worst swim he'd ever endured in 40 triathlons. AND WE DID IT!

What a great canoer who talked you in. I often kayak for these races and it's an important job and I appreciate when its done well.

Good work girlfriend

2010-04-23 8:00 AM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah

Great Race, Oh my Queen!

I know that feeling of discouravgement when you have a bad swim.  Happened to me on my first OLY.   Then add the other challenges you encountered on the race with your feet, etc, and all I can say is I AM IMPRESSED!  You took a difficult set of circumstances and made the best of them.

Love those race volunteers who realize that there is more to volunteering at a race than standing at (or in this case --- canoeing ) at their post.  This volunteer did the right thing -- watched out for your saftety while encouraging and supporting you along the way!    Hat's off to him.   If I were playing race director again, I'd make sure he was on my team list.   Good volunteers are VERY difficult to find -- I speak from EXPERIENCE.

All things considered, don't beat yourself up over this race.   You had some challenges, but you truly showed who the realy champion is, and it's you for pushing through and finishing!

It reminds be of a poem called "The Race", Tells the story of a young boy running a race who keeps falling, but gets back up starts running again, and falls again... But even though he comes in dead last (and you did not) he finished the race and got the biggest cheer!   The poem ends something like this...  

"Life's battles don't always go to the stronger or faster man, but sooner or later the man who wins, is the man who thinks he can!"

Great Job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rumpass in Bumpass International Rss Feed