Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-04-21 11:17 AM
in reply to: #2805794

User image

Champion
The Green Between Philadelphia and Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: Why TF am I still alive?
I was hit and run by a pickup truck while riding my bicycle...I was in the middle of cancer treatmet at the time.

God is good, and I'm still here.....

2010-04-21 12:12 PM
in reply to: #2806517

User image

Pro
Evanston,
MNGopher - 2010-04-21 9:21 AM

From the driving category:  Any number of dumb passing maneuvers, generally on the shoulder and generally at high speed.

From the falling out of things category:  I was climbing in an apple tree and was about 20 feet off the ground when the branch I was standing on broke out from under me, I was maybe 8.  I fell about half the distance to the ground across a large branch scraped all the skin off my arm and hip as I rolled around the branch.  Then I fell the rest of the way and landed on my back in a large patch of brambles at the base of the tree.

From the I'm just dumb category:  I was splitting fire wood with a hatchet and the pieces weren't standing up on their own, so I was holding them with one hand and swinging at them with the hatchet in my other hand.  At the last second I would let go of the piece of wood.  Well my timing was off and I hit my hand.  Fortunately I had a glove on and only cut my fingers instead of cutting them off.

From the "this isn't how that's supposed to be used" category:  When I was young, 6-10, my friends and I would try to see how far the swings could launch us.  So we would swing as high as possible and then leap off of the swing.  This would result in us flying through the air away from the swings.  Looking back on this, it was really not a good idea.

And we won't talk about fun with electricity, fun with water, fun with my brother, or fun with fireworks.

Wait---didn't we all do that?  At least back in the days before constant supervision of children?  God made kids with more bouncy bones for precisely this reason!
2010-04-21 12:22 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX

1) I went parasailing in Mexico with my brother and I wasn't strapped in properly. I spent the 20 minute ride clinging to my brother for dear life about 200 feet above the ocean.

2) I was at the beach in Galveston and we got a big "bubba tub". It's a huge circular raft that fits about 6 people. There was a storm coming so the waves were big, and I didn't want to fall out so I tied myself down to the raft with a lot of rope. A wave turned the raft upside down. To this day I don't know how I untangled myself before drowning.

2010-04-21 2:11 PM

User image

Master
Elm Grove

In college one night after a party, we were on the way home(I was the DD) and all of a sudden a car came flying up behind us with the lights flashing the horn blowing.  Apparently one of the girls with us turned some dude down and he didn't take it very well.  Speed limit was 55 and the guy flew by and slammed on the brakes.  I had to hit the brakes and throw on the Ebrake.  We ended up spinning out and missed t-boning the back of the guy's car, luckily we called 911 when he came up behind us and the cops showed up and were able to catch the guy.  I think he spent a while in jail as he got busted for his 4th DUI plus the charges for that night.

Also in college, we left the bars and decided that it would be fun to try to climb one of the water towers in town.  As this was shortly after 9/11 someone saw us and called the cops, it was interesting trying to explain how we got inside the barbwire fence and up onto the tower.  Looking back it is amazing that neither of us fell off as we were definitely not sober.

12 days after I got my drivers license I was driving with my younger brother and a friend and while playing with my brand new stereo I didn't notice that I was drifiting off of the road.  When I finally looked up I had 2 wheels in the ditch and 2 on the shoulder.  Just off to the side less an a foot or two away were big oak trees that would have killed us it we would have hit one.  Somehow we didn't and ended up hitting a drive way, going airborne and getting back on the road.  That was good until one of the rear tires unseated from the rim and we spun out and flipped over after going backwards in the wrong lane at close to 50mph.  After we got out of the car we noticed that we had missed hitting the telephone pole on that side of the road by 2 feet.  Not to mention how lucky we were that no one was coming in the other direction at the time we slid across the road.

2010-04-21 2:19 PM

User image

Regular
Philadelphia
I was a fraidy-cat as a kid, a goody-two-shoes as a teenager, and too busy with work and school to have fun as a college student. So I never really did anything to put myself in danger.

... except punch a Marine in the face at a club in Moscow.
2010-04-21 2:27 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
Al of a sudden , I am wondering if some kids hacked into Swanny's account for the purpose of starting this thread and giving children of BT'ers everywhere leverage against us.

2010-04-21 3:43 PM

User image

Master
PNW
When I was about 8, we would often eat dinner out on our screened in porch.  There was an overhead lamp that we left unplugged except when eating.  We also had one of those lawn sprinkers that would travel on the hose, winding it up as it went.  Someone had turned on that sprinkler and not realized how close the hose was to the house.  It soaked the entire porch leaving an inch or two of water on the indoor/outdoor carpet.

Dinner was coming up, so my mom asked me to go set the table.  I took the plates/flatware out to the porch, set them on the table, noticed that the carpet was soaking wet on my bare feet, and then proceeded to grab the plug (you see where this is going, right?) and attempt to plug it in.  It was dark, so I missed the socket the first time but when I used my fingers to guide the plug into the right spot the second time, I got the shock of my life.

I woke up what was probably only seconds later and my lips felt numb, my arm ached and tingled and I was soaking wet for having fallen down on the wet floor.

I never told my mother (or anyone) because I was too embarassed for having done something so incredibly stupid. 
2010-04-21 4:10 PM

User image

Champion
Atlanta, Ga
Being the adventurous kid that I am and living in FL, (single story houses) we would play this game of "Who can come closest to the rope".

We would take a running start from the roof and launch ourselves into the backyard trying to grab this rope that stretched across the yard between these two poles (YES....it's called a Power line).

The problem is that you had to really stretch out if you wanted to get close, but the ground coming fast would cause you to want to land on your feet and roll.  I got the closest and nipped it with my fingers.  I also proceded to land right on my chest/face in the yard.  Man I'm glad I was the short kid!
2010-04-21 4:13 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

Is this the "why am I still alive" thread or the Hello my name is "x" and I am a dumb ....

I blew myself up. I was starting a charcoal grill and used boat stove alcohol. Had done for years without trouble, disliking starter fluid smell. New brand of charcoal (see...wife's fault!) that wouldn't light, and I decided to "touch it up a bit." I had a new gallon of alcohol. The smoldering coals lit...causing a flash up to the gallon jug. Apparently the fuel air ratio in the top of the jug was perfect for an explosion. I am not talking whoosh…I am talking “BOOM.” The jug was not found. The fireball was over 40 feet in diameter leaving grass black, house on fire, lawn furniture melted, and me on fire, in the middle of it all. I can tell you that properly motivated, one can jump in a pool very quickly. Had it not been for the pool, I don’t think I would be here to write the “why TF am I still alive.”

An udder one…

Dove into a creek. Deep dive, shallow creek. Hit bottom HARD. Thought wow, now that was stupid. Then tried to swim…couldn’t. Literally could not move arms or legs. I do not know how long I lay on the bottom thinking “well, neck is broken, this sucks, you are toast” but it seemed a long time. Gradually function returned and I was able to crawl to the surface. Apparently some transient cervical cord shock. Why TF am I still alive? Not sure. I try to make the most out of being here though.

2010-04-21 8:05 PM
in reply to: #2808205

User image

Pro
MA
GLC1968's story reminds me of this:

Learned something about electricity in middle school and thought I was Thomas Edison.  It was Christmas time and I took apart a chain of broken christmas lights.  Took a couple bulbs and proceed to test them straight from the wall outlet.  Bulk blew.  Blinded by the flash.  Felt something pushed me backwards (even though I was facing the wall) and landed a few feet behind.  I was shock - both electrically and emotionally.  Mom told Dad when he came home and got a big lecture and scolding. 

RiverRAt50's story reminded me of this:

Back in the days when I smoke cigarettes, I was preparing a charcoal grill for a cookout.  Lit up successfully, and proceeded to take a puff.  Instead of using a lighter I tried to light up my cigarette from the burning grill.  Hair on the forehead smoked up.  Good think it didn't catch fire.  Only a few strands of burnt hair. 

The real scare of my life was while trying to avoid a skidding SUV coming toward my direction on the slushy highway on a snowing morning, my car started skidding, resulting in all wheels locked up, engine died and my car spinning 2 circles, stopping perpendicular to the on coming traffic.  Luckily all vehicles behind me saw what was going on and cars were able to stop in time.  I thought I was going to die.

Edited by D.K. 2010-04-21 8:09 PM
2010-04-21 8:35 PM
in reply to: #2807022

User image

LOL, a fellow MIT'r...

Been to the Hong Kong (surprised I'm still alive, stupid scorpion bowls)

I agree that Hi-Fi was probably life threatening.  They've got out of business.  How crappy a business model do you have to have to have a cheap pizza place go broke right next to a college campus?!?

2010-04-21 9:33 PM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

I was maybe 7, having learned to ride my bike.  The neighbor across the street had a nice downhill and a bump at the edge of the road.  Great for doing jumps and wheelies!  And of course, no one EVER drives down the road!  Its just a neighborhood street!  "Hey Mr Cain, watch this!" I yelled.  That was the last time I did that ride and jump.....  Fortunately, no car was coming as I bounded out across the road, going full speed.

And there was the time in High School biology class, when I was really bored.  I had a pair of tweezers.  And gee, the tongs fit just perfectly into the electric socket thats here on the table.......

Then there was the time driving to work about 10 years ago.  It was rather cold, about 0 degrees F.  I didn't appreciate that salt doesnt work at those temps.  I was going too fast and the car started sliding.  How I didnt hit anyone in rush hour traffic on the major interstate in town is beyond me.  But I ended up crossing all lanes of traffic, spinning around and ending with the front of the car in the left lane of traffic.  I walked away without a scratch, at least physically.

2010-04-21 9:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
When I was 5 I went with my neighbor friend and her mom (or was it her babysitter?) to the local pool. They were in the big kid's pool, but I didn't know how to swim, so I was in the wading pool unsupervised (what the heck???). I had one of those really small little kid inner tubes. Somehow I managed to get it so that my head and body were on one side, and my feet and arms were going behind me through the inner tube and sticking out on the other side...so all of my appendages were on the opposite side as my head and body, and they were behind me. Kind of hard to explain. I was stuck that way, floating around gulping down water, and I know this sounds ridiculous, but I was afraid to ask anyone for help. I am pretty shy by nature and back then I was painfully antisocial and shy, totally afraid of all people. My friend and her guardian were not in sight. Finally some lady and her little girl walked by and the lady said "Go help that little girl", and she did. She probably saved my life.

I am sad to say that the other times I should have died were due to drunk driving. I have done it a lot in my day (don't even drink anymore, though, sober for almost 6 years now). Once I was so drunk that I was driving with one eye closed trying to keep my vision from blurring. As soon as I started driving I knew I needed someone to come get me, but I was so drunk I was afraid to pull over (couldn't tell the difference between streets and parking lots) and I was afraid to take my eyes off the road to get my cell phone and call someone. I saw flashing red lights behind me, and pulled over knowing that I was going to jail. I sat there for what seemed like forever...then the flashing red lights drove right on by. It was an ambulance. I was such an idiot. I am so lucky that I never hurt or killed myself or anyone else.
2010-04-22 1:02 AM

User image

Expert
I've got a few, nothing too spectacular but a couple things multiple times. Ive been hit by two cars and ive been in two accidents not involving other cars. In one i was sittin in the passenger seat of a jeep on a hill and it started rolling, i was little didnt know what to do and panicked so i went with it off a cliff, yes a cliff. TWICE ive dove into the same pool and landed on my face with nearly half my body out of the water. Driving drunk and running off the road. Had a gun held in my face over a dodge ball game. I once drowned in a pool in Denver, it was 20+ feet deep and i stayed down a little too long. I think i've shared enough for now.........
2010-04-22 9:23 PM

User image

Expert
Ft Gordon, GA
Winter of 1999 fell on an ice field at ocer 19,000 feet while descending Chimarazo (20,565 feet) in Ecuador after summitting. Managed to self arrest about 100 feet before going over a cliff.

Spring 2000, on Ama Dablam (22,350 feet located in the Khumbu Valley of Nepal) in Camp 3 which is a hanging glacier on the main 6000 foot face when my partner decides to descend back to Camp 2 b/c he doesn't feel well. As we are descending off the face down and to the right, one/third of the hanging glacier breaks off and falls the 5000 feet down toward base camp.

Quit doing big mountain climbing after that last one.

A number of times on night operations with my unit here in Iraq last deployment and this one where we are moving on target and all hell breaks loose.

Crazy times....

2010-04-23 8:33 AM
in reply to: #2806517

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

From the "this isn't how that's supposed to be used" category:  When I was young, 6-10, my friends and I would try to see how far the swings could launch us.  So we would swing as high as possible and then leap off of the swing.  This would result in us flying through the air away from the swings.  Looking back on this, it was really not a good idea.

I've actually taught and encouraged my kids to do this. Only when the swings are surrounded by sand, and the girls start with small jumps and go progressively farther as they're comfortable.

I use it as a way of teaching taking measured risk, assessing an environment, and overcoming fear to do more than you initially think you can.

2010-04-23 8:55 AM

User image

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"

- 18 at the time
- 3/4 bottle of rye whiskey
- Kawasaki 500 2 stroke triple
- overshot the curve in the road doing 60

2010-04-23 12:55 PM
in reply to: #2806959

Expert
eabeam - 2010-04-21 11:26 AM

Having a few drinks and deciding to use the roof of  MIT's Kresge Hall as a slide.

The roof is metal, and there was condensation on the slide roof.

At the point of no return (2 stories high?), I had slow-motion perception and thoughts.

Thought #1 = I am accelerating REALLY fast!

Thought #2 = I have neither the ability to slow-down nor a plan to stop.

Thought #3= The sidewalk is getting closer WAY too fast!

The rest of the trip occurred in Fast-Forward.
Or was that normal speed?

Luckily, there was a enough of the lip that it popped me up in the air, feet-down.. I was able to stay upright by keeping my feet moving... which created a handy head-start from the cops.

Who would create a college building (with access to drunk college students) where roof-access is waist-high?

That sounds awesome! Def the colleges fault for making it
2010-04-23 1:43 PM
in reply to: #2811895

User image

Pro
MA
marmadaddy - 2010-04-23 9:33 AM

I've actually taught and encouraged my kids to do this. Only when the swings are surrounded by sand, and the girls start with small jumps and go progressively farther as they're comfortable.

I use it as a way of teaching taking measured risk, assessing an environment, and overcoming fear to do more than you initially think you can.

You should work for the FDA, or Homeland Security. 
2010-04-23 2:09 PM

Regular
Man we are stupid...

Here are a couple of mine.

3 years ago I was rewiring what was soon to be our nursery for our unborn son. Went down to the breaker box and turned off what I believed to be the circuts, and proceeded to change out an outlet. Woke up on the floor holding a screwdriver with my 8 month pregnant wife shaking me. I went back to the breaker and turned off what was obviously the correct breaker and replaced the plug. Started on the plug 5 feet away from the one I was just working on and got knocked to the ground hard, again, my wife actually saw the arc of electricity. Decided to drive to home Depot and buy a $10 tester. The part where I almost die was my wife not killing me for being so dumb, twice.

Spring break of my freshmen year of college, my fraternity brother and I blew up his parents gas grill (a 30 pack of Hamm's may have been involved), on accident. It started raining when we were trying to light the gas grill, and unfortuantely we closed the lid for a minute without turning off the gas. We casually opened the grill lid and pushed the electric spark button. Boom, the grill "jumped" off the ground about 4-5 feet and my friend and I were knocked flat to the ground. His parents were pissed when they came home, found us drunk by the pool and the deck was blackened. His mom still gives us crap about it. There was a time when my girlfriend at the time (now my wife) would not let me be around this friend when we had been drinking. Someone/something always got broken trying to have fun (apparently cheap beer and rollerblades were a bad combination in the late 90's).

Finally, was climbing/hiking a bluff overlooking LaCrosse, WI. Started to go around a corner of the bluff, wanted to lead so I was going fast, following a "trail" and literally almost walked off the side of the bluff. I was 12, and luckily my 18 year old aunt was right behind me, she grabbed my belt just as I was about to fall and yanked me back onto the bluff. Scared me really bad. No one but my aunt and I know about it, and we laugh about it a family get togethers. My grand parents put her in charge of me one summer, and I almost died. It would have been sad to, because my dad (her brother) would have killed her if I would have gotten hurt.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Why TF am I still alive? Rss Feed  

of 2