79F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 18m 20s
Overall Rank = 56/400
Age Group = F40-44
Age Group Rank = 7/65
Pre-race routine:

323/1654 finishers (above is females)

Flew down on Friday on my own. Relaxed Saturday with easy walking in touristy area, bike check in and checking out transition area. Went for a swim in the lake. Lovely temperature. The water was so murky brown that you couldn't see feet in front of you so I knew drafting would be hard. A fish jumped out whilst I was out at the first buoy. I don't mind fish I was just a little concerned about what had made the fish jump out! Still I didn't get eaten and made it safely back. The Lake is shallow and hubby
told me even though it is so big you can't see the other side, it is only about 14ft at deepest.

I was really relaxed for this race - more than any race I have ever done I think. I was out to have a good time, enjoy it, not stress and let my hard work in training and my race plan dictate the day. No pressure, no one knew me - very relaxing.

Early night, played the carbo load and nutrition just as planned - except couldn't find plain pasta and chicken so ate chicken subs instead
Event warmup:

Breakfast as planned including the apple sauce, got downstairs to catch a shuttle bus to transition leaving within a few minutes so got to transition at just after 5 (it closed at 6:45). Set up, looked around, all very relaxed. Food on schedule and wandered out for a warm up in the lake. It was 73.5 degree water temp and pro's not allowed wetsuits.
I even remembered to locate and switch on my garmin 310xt on bike ready
Swim
  • 34m 52s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

231/1654 finishers

Beach start - my first. Race started at 7am and I was in a wave that went at 7:32, so I got to see some of the male pro's finish the swim.
This swim was the roughest swim I have ever done in a triathlon and in a lake. I didn't mind because I grew up swimming in the ocean and I hoped that would put me at a bit of an advantage against my opposition.

It was rough enough that the race directors gave the option to people to not do the swim and just join their age group as they came out of the water to do bike and run!

The lake is shallow so a bit of wind quickly whips it up. The first couple of hundred metres were so shallow it was running (I'd watched previous waves to see what worked best) and then dolphining. I was up at the front and as soon as I started swimming I took in a mouthful of water from the waves. First buoy was pretty close, rounded that nearish front of my wave, had to demist my goggles and then off I went.
The waves were so big that sighting was near impossible without stopping, raising head and bobbing up high. I found a cap in my wave and tried to draft off of her by sighting every other breath(seriously too murky to see feet) but either she was going off course or I was and it didn't work out so I basically swam on my own. From shortly after the first buoy I was overtaking previous waves.
Sighting on the way back was even harder to see the buoys but I could see the pier sticking out so I just aimed to the left of it which worked well. I just swam along and was delighted to see my time of under 35 mins when I hit the timing mat.

My goal was 35mins but once in the swim I seriously didn't think I had a chance and was just swimming along relaxed but strong, telling myself to do my best and what will be will be.
What would you do differently?:

Find a better pair of feet (cap) to follow.

I'd say my swim was average but given my time for the conditions I have to tick the "good" box.
2 of the times faster than me were in the 34's (the other two were 31 and 32)so I am pleased I am up there in my age group. I know I'm a strong swimmer but not the fastest so pleased with this, especially as no open water swimming yet this year prior to previous day.
Transition 1
  • 02m 50s
Comments:

A run up and over the levy to transtion. Wetsuit strippers were great and had me stripped, up and away in a twinkling.
Put my socks on as usual and spent a few seconds using towel to get all the grass and bits off my feet as they were covered.
Bike world had warned me there were burrs in the grass to carry my bike. Off I carried it out of transition and was on my way before I remembered that I hadn't eaten the gel I had planned. Oh well, no big deal.

Nothing really, my goal was for t1 and t2 combined to be under 5mins so all on target. Yes I could have been a bit faster and yes in an ideal world I'd have eaten that gel.
La de da - did I mention I was relaxed for this race?
Bike
  • 2h 40m 20s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.96 mile/hr
Comments:

427/1654 finishers (I know the boys are stronger but can't find girlie data)

The first 3 miles of this course were horrendous as warned by race director. They had to change the route and we wound up and down some roads in neighbourhood which had many hastily filled potholes (filled thanks to local bike club or else would have been worse). The out part of this course was into the wind. The only hills were over the bridges but they were good enough just to get out of the saddle for a few seconds to stretch legs if wanted to (I just did this on way back).

My goal pace for this race was between 20.2 and 22.2mph but I don't get tied up with numbers, I just go by effort. Looking at my run (see later) I knew my coaches first reaction would be "she went too fast on the bike" but I didn't. I'm pretty certain I didn't get out of zone 2. I was averaging around 18 to 19mph and only hit the average of 20mph at just over mile 23! Then there were a few out and backs which kept average the same. It was at mile 34 that I first hit the bottom of my goal pace of 20.2. Yep seriously! I wasn't hammering it, just steady pedalling and every time I thought the pedals were going around too slowly I changed to and easier gear and upped the cadence, telling myself I would be thankful on the run.
Having forgotten the gel in T1 I immediately adapted my nutrition plan and took a gel at 30min and every 45mins after (initial plan first one at 45mins). Worked perfectly as I had enough water (aerobottle full minus splashings) for these 3 gels without stopping. I had 2 bottles (2x24oz) of gatorade. Supposed to drink one an hour but each one was about an hour 15 so finished second one in last few miles (note to coach: this affect my run??? I was still taking in over 200 cals per hour so can't see it would)
On bits with tail wind on way home I was sitting easily above 22mph.

I was in aero pretty much ALL the time and I haven't done much of that at home. My seat bones and back hurt a bit in the last 10miles but nothing that I couldn't ignore. I was glad to get off for that reason.

I knew from about an hour from home that I was likely to get in sub 2:45 so I was happy with that. Goal met.

I played by the rules and did hold back on the bike. If I'd know how crappy the run was going to be it would have been fun to hammer and see what I could do. The times that beat me were 2:37, 2:37,2:36,2:35, 2:32 so I'm not far off
Transition 2
  • 02m 17s
Comments:

I'm not a fast transitioner but everything went smoothly. I remembered to take my gel and water this time.
I twisted my 310xt off my bike put it on my wrist and off I trotted.

A few seconds off a combined 5min t1 and t2 goal but OK. I was happy and relaxed.
Run
  • 1h 58m 3s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

477/1654 finishers

Brutal is what I would call this and I am VERY disappointed, especially as it same old story with me and running in heat. I'm not sure I learned anything new from this to help me in the Ironman this year which is a bit worrying and hugely disappointing as a trial run.
Anyway, first annoying thing was that as I twisted my 310xt off bike I hit some kind of random button selection which locked the keys. Couldn't even switch it off and had no idea how to unlock. I didn't let it phase me and resigned myself to running by feel which was OK and the only thing that I thought was how annoying to carry that extra weight for no use at all! Anyway as I settled in, by about quarter of a mile running I tried reenacting taking it off the bike, squeezed diagonally opposite keys and it unlocked! Off I went. My miles didn't cooincide with mile markers but so what. My first mile was just under 8min and I remember looking at my watch and thinking wow it feels like I am running slower than that, this is going to be an OK pace.

My goal was 8:00 miles but I would have been happy with 8:30's as I have been doing those easily on easy runs in training. The sun beat down, there was no shade. I took water or gatorade at every aid station. My times in latter miles were slightly slower because I walked aid stations. I do not do well in heat but I told myself as long as I hydrate and take calories I'll be OK, just plug along. My first hiccup I think was at mile 3. I had planned to take a gel then as race director had said gels and mile 3,6,9.... They had them at mile 2 and I should have realised but I bypassed that with just some gatorade. The next gel stop I was too busy trying to cool down sucking ice, ice down my top. drinking water, gatorade etc and I just didn't feel like taking a gel. I remember asking at subsequent aid stations and them saying sorry haven't got one. Not sure what mile it was next but around 8 I think and I got a gel, washed it down with gatorade as per plan and spent next mile just wanting to get to aid station to get some water down as it didn't sit right.

2 00:07:56 1.00 07:56
3 00:08:15 1.00 08:15
4 00:08:32 1.00 08:32
5 00:08:38 1.00 08:38
6 00:09:04 1.00 09:04
7 00:09:00 1.00 09:00
8 00:09:19 1.00 09:19
9 00:09:42 1.00 09:42
10 00:09:13 1.00 09:13
11 00:09:20 1.00 09:20
12 00:09:15 1.00 09:15
13 00:09:14 1.00 09:14
14 00:09:00 1.00 09:00

I suspect coach is going to say nutrition on run is the issue here. I didn't bonk, I didn't cramp I was just on this limit and aware of it. I was really surprised to glance down at my watch and find myself going slower and slower with the same effort.
It would have been easy to stop and I felt awful and was in survival mode but there was no way I was going to stop - that part mentally I've got.
I sold all my tri gear and vowed never to do another tri again during the last four to five of miles - it really felt that bad - but I told myself I had to finish this race as strong as I was capable of first.
I tried to speed up by consciously thinking about form and upping my cadence but it took me over an edge - I guess into some kind of anerobic yuckiness and I knew I couldn't sustain it.
Post race
Warm down:

I felt bad. I had to sit down as soon as I crossed the finish line, which was basically in the middle of the road.
Eventually I knew I had to get up and it was a fair walk to the post race food etc.
One of my beginner tri course participants happened by coincidence to be in New Orleans and his wife caught me as I came out of the finish area and introduced herself. They had been tracking me and come down to see me finish which I was really touched by - although knowing the state of me I'm not sure I was much of an inspiration!.
It took what seemed like forever to get to the food area. I couldn't face food but grabbed water and banana and just lay on grass outside. I remember thinking I wish the iv tent was near. I've never even considered one before but remember coach saying they're great for recovery and I felt bad. But I didn't have the energy to move. Eventually of course I did but it took me a long while to recover.
Got the shuttle back to transition, gave my bike to bike world and thumbed a lift back into town. Walked to the B and B where I was staying and just collapsed on the bed for a few hours, waiting for hubby to fly in and join me for a few days of vacationing (without kids!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Run - combiniation heat/ hydration/ nutrition ??????? have to think about this a bit more.

I only peed once - in t1 which maybe tells me something. I did take a few sips at every run aid station though.

Event comments:

The organisation of the race was great and apart from the run I enjoyed it but I do have a few improvement suggestions - hopefully this race will grow better and better each year.
(1) They give you the option of using bike world which is very convenient hand over and back of bike at transition. But you have to find your own way to transition and back to check in (ok getting taxi there but in middle of nowhere so taxi back was more difficult and I waited ages before pouncing on some people and asking if they had space for me) and post race shuttle takes you to transition and then you are on your own. I asked race director at the pre race meeting and he helpfully (not!) said he was very careful not to say the bus would bring us back to town after race and he had no idea where buses were going.
I spoke to my bus driver and they said they were just going in loops and I thumbed one down after drop off and the nice man stopped which was just as well because I'd been waiting a while in hope of taxi's and saw NONE!
(2) we were told we would not be allowed to enter transition without 2 bottles full of liquid to prevent a scene of running out like last year. But they did not sell the gatorade with the sports caps so I had to buy new water bottles knowing I'd just have to chuck them at bottle exchange (in the event I didn't but that's not the point - it's very ungreen idea).
They should sell them at the expo.
(3) I heard there were no portapotties in the swim wait area and some people didn't start for an hour and 3/4 after transition closed and they were penned into swim area!

Thankyou to all the wonderful volunteers and the locals who kindly put their lawn sprinklers on facing the road :)

Last updated: 2009-10-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:52 | 2112 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/65
Overall: 0/400
Performance: Good
Suit: full, sleeved
Course: rectangle parallel mostly with beach.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:50
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
02:40:20 | 56 miles | 20.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/65
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: First 3 miles were horrendous with very bad pavement in and around neighbourhood (course change due to roadwork) so very slow and many turns. Basically an out and back with several out and back branches sticking out from main route.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:17
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
01:58:03 | 13.1 miles | 09m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/65
Performance: Bad
Course: Hot! A one way course which went up local streets, through a park with a couple of out and backs and then down a long road into city centre. Only last couple of miles shaded
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-04-21 11:01 PM

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
Subject: Ochsner Ironman 70.3 New Orleans

2010-04-22 5:02 AM
in reply to: #2809047

User image

Master
syracuse
Subject: RE: Ochsner Ironman 70.3 New Orleans
great race jackie!!

sorry about the run, but you still put on a solid performance!

3 more months!!
2010-04-22 6:08 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY

Great race Jackie!!!  I'm sorry the run didn't go as you would like, but it was still under 2 hours!  Your biking is just amazing considering it is only April and most of your rides have been inside!!!

2010-04-22 6:52 AM

User image

Master
Rochester, NY

Jackie, you did FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!  I knew all your hard work was going to come to fruition, and sure enough it did!

Heat is so tough for those of us in teh north.  We don't get exposed to it.  Its almost unfair for us to try to race in it without any way to train in it.  You did an OUTSTANDING JOB persevering through it!

On to Pittsford, then Placid!

2010-04-22 8:14 AM
in reply to: #2809121

User image

Expert
Malvern, England
thanks
there are going to be no early morning runs for me now. I'm going to be training in the mid day heat til Placid!

It turns out the person I asked to share a taxi with to bike check in was another BTer - Jon (and his girlfriend and bike) wstchstrTriathlete !

2010-04-22 8:18 AM
in reply to: #2809416

User image

Master
White Plains NY
jackjack - 2010-04-22 9:14 AM thanks
there are going to be no early morning runs for me now. I'm going to be training in the mid day heat til Placid!

It turns out the person I asked to share a taxi with to bike check in was another BTer - Jon (and his girlfriend and bike) wstchstrTriathlete !

Too funny! Small world indeed! Great race, Jackie! Hope to see you again up in Lake Placid.

2010-04-22 11:40 AM

User image

Master
Canandaigua
NIce job Jackie.  Good race report lots fo good info for any race. 
2010-04-23 9:10 PM

User image

Veteran
Rochester, NY
Great job Jackie!  That run does sound brutal, and MUST have been if you were dreaming about selling your tri gear!  Surprised  (I think that's pretty funny, actually....  Smile)
I'm also impressed that you traveled there by yourself!  You go girl! 
2010-04-23 9:52 PM

User image

Bob
Binghamton, NY
What? No bobbystocks stops? What kind of RR is this? Nice, solid race Jackie! Don't let the run get you down, your training has been spectacular! This was just one race that it didn't come together. Placid will be another story! (Hopefully it won't have bobbystocks stops either!)

Nice work Jackie!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ochsner Ironman 70.3 New Orleans Rss Feed