Tri4gold
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 24m 12s
Overall Rank = 60/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 20/62
Pre-race routine:

up around 4am. ate a couple bowls of cocoa krispies, did a final check of everything and hit the road. very easy drive to PT city.
Event warmup:

I thought i was doing good by getting there an hour early, but the volunteers were already telling people to hurry up. So no bike warmup, but i did do a little jog and swim before the race.
Swim
  • 24m 47s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 39s / 100 meters
Comments:

pretty uneventful swim, which is always a good thing. did a little zig zaggin and i did veer off course pretty badly on the back side of the rectangle. i went for about 20 strokes w/out sighting and i was a good 50 yards from anybody else when i finally looked up, but i got back in line and finished strong. the wetsuit helped a lot, still need to work on swimming straight and catching a draft once in a while. a good swim and i left the water fresh.
What would you do differently?:

try to draft more. swim straighter.
Transition 1
  • 02m 3s
Comments:

T1's are never fast for me. I try to go slow and smooth = fast, but my slow and smooth = average. but it wasn't too bad. i did have a little trouble mounting the bike. i should really practice that more.

need to practice mounts and dismounts.
Bike
  • 1h 05m 38s
  • 25 miles
  • 22.85 mile/hr
Comments:

really good bike for me. it just felt like i was in the right gear all the time. normally i'm clicking back and forth b/c its too hard or too easy. today i just seemed to find the perfect gear for every hill and every flat. nice! this is also the first time i've used a deep front wheel and a disc cover on the rear. i think that helped out a lot too.

not much. went pretty well. cornering was a little iffy, but not horrible. only real complaint was that my glasses were constantly fogged up. i kept having to pull them away from my face so they would clear up. i had to sit up on one downhill b/c i could barely see.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

need to practice dismounting. i did a moving dismount and somehow grabbed a handful of the front brake as i jumped off, almost causing my bike to endo. i was able to save it thankfully.

removing bike gear and putting on run gear went fine.

not grab the break when i'm getting off
Run
  • 50m 48s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

whew. the run is my weakest leg. probably always will be. i started out fine...mile 3 was even my fastest mile, but started to slow after that. the last 1.5 miles was a sufferfest for me. there was one last hill that i hadn't saved anything for, so i shuffled up that as best as i could. only thing i can say is that i didn't walk, so i'm happy about that. definitely glad to see that home stretch and hear the lady calling out names of the finishers. still, for me, not a bad time for an oly run split. my garmin had the course a tad short, but that could have been due to running under tree cover for most of the run.

oh man, I don't know. run more, run more in the heat. in any kind of heat i just wither. I felt like i was a little under hydrated, but i don't know if my stomach would have taken in anything else.
Post race
Warm down:

had to sit for a little while to collect myself. couple bottles of gatorade, water and a few slices of pizza brought me back to life

What limited your ability to perform faster:

not enough run mileage

Event comments:

Overall a good race! Very happy with my overall time, and very happy with how i felt up until the last bit of the run. Just need to get to where i can finish strong. A PR by more than 20 minutes!

As and event, PIT was awesome. Will definitely be back. Lots of volunteers, lots of cheering, very well put together.

Also...first time racing in age group instead of clydes. wow, i though my time was good, but it was middle of the pack for 35-39. yikes!

Last updated: 2010-02-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:47 | 1500 meters | 01m 39s / 100meters
Age Group: 20/62
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless
Course: out and back rectangular course
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:03
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:05:38 | 25 miles | 22.85 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/62
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: couple different out and backs
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 80
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:50:48 | 06.2 miles | 08m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 36/62
Performance: Average
Course: rolling along shaded cart paths
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-05-15 2:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
GA
Subject: Peachtree International Triathlon

2010-05-15 6:51 PM
in reply to: #2860741

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Peachtree International Triathlon
Nice race, man! that was a fast bike split! and that run is nothing to sneeze at!
2010-05-16 6:02 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Georgia
Look at that bike split!!

20min PR and still room to run even faster? You're a beast!

Congrats on a nice day..
2010-05-16 7:44 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA

Very nice day...20 min. PR!  could not ask for much more (but we always do).  While we did not run into each other, but we almost did.  I was right behind you at T2!  Nice job getting it under control.  I thought for sure "that guy" was going down.  You were "that guy" in my RR that was haul arse by me and got me in to gear the last few miles.  Too funny.

Overall, great day.  Look out..biggsmothie is coming to a race near you!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Peachtree International Triathlon Rss Feed