Other Resources My Cup of Joe » LOOOOOOOOOOOOST!!!!! (spoilers, duh) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2010-05-24 1:28 PM
in reply to: #2878362

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN
Subject: RE: LOOOOOOOOOOOOST!!!!! (spoilers, duh)

Why, if you've been watching this show since the start, would you _ever_ come to expect more?  This is a show that doesn't answer questions, it's been that way since the start.  You're like Tina Turner - 6 years into your marriage with Ike - being surprised that he just knocked the sh*t out of you.

That's some funny stuff right there.  And it's exactly why I gave up on the show after 2 years. 

I have enjoyed reading how it ended though....

2010-05-24 1:34 PM
in reply to: #2878453

User image

Champion
New York, NY
runningwoof - 2010-05-24 1:46 PM I loved the ending.  The more I think about it, the better I like it.  My husband cried out Nooooo when he found out they were dead and that the sideways universe was not completely real.  I disagree with the purgatory thing.  From what Christian said, this was the place they made to find each other.  I see it more as the boat that they ride to valhalla rather than a place of atonement.  It was where they could all "move on" to their final destination together.  The island was real.  The people were real.  

Many questions were answered, but not in the way we expected or fully.  The numbers corresponded to the names of the potential candidates that were left alive. The smoke monster was the man in black.  His mother said that if they entered the cave, they would suffer a fate worse than death.  Maybe it was suppose to be the blackness of his heart that caused him to become a monster, thus the reason jack did not.  My husband believes that after putting the stone back, nothing happened until jack touched the water, he thought that he was giving his life back to the island.  I don't know about that, but it sounds good to me.  I don't think every question needed to be answered.  

As for the Christian over tones of the show.  They have been in lost since the beginning.  Jacob is a biblical name, father  of the tribes of isreal.  Since the beginning there has been this idea of faith and leadership and sacrifice.  And as overt as the idea of Christian Shepherd is, I did not feel like they rammed it down my throat.  Oh and I am a neo-pagan and often feel like christianity is rammed down my throat.  I didn't with this.  I like the idea that these people of vastly different faiths, all moved on together.   I think that is the reason why their were soooo many multifaith symbols in the chapel.  (plus a funeral home chapel normally is non-faith / non denominational as to serve the whole public, although the giant statue of Christ out front may sway it towards christianity a little more than I would have liked).

Almost everything in this show is up to some sort of inturpretation, and maybe that is what I love about it.  It doesn't matter what someone else took away from the show, but what I (you) took away from the show.   

uhm yeah - that is the old testament, the Torah - Jewish not Christian
2010-05-24 1:36 PM
in reply to: #2878563

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

TriToy - 2010-05-24 2:34 PM
runningwoof - 2010-05-24 1:46 PM I loved the ending.  The more I think about it, the better I like it.  My husband cried out Nooooo when he found out they were dead and that the sideways universe was not completely real.  I disagree with the purgatory thing.  From what Christian said, this was the place they made to find each other.  I see it more as the boat that they ride to valhalla rather than a place of atonement.  It was where they could all "move on" to their final destination together.  The island was real.  The people were real.  

Many questions were answered, but not in the way we expected or fully.  The numbers corresponded to the names of the potential candidates that were left alive. The smoke monster was the man in black.  His mother said that if they entered the cave, they would suffer a fate worse than death.  Maybe it was suppose to be the blackness of his heart that caused him to become a monster, thus the reason jack did not.  My husband believes that after putting the stone back, nothing happened until jack touched the water, he thought that he was giving his life back to the island.  I don't know about that, but it sounds good to me.  I don't think every question needed to be answered.  

As for the Christian over tones of the show.  They have been in lost since the beginning.  Jacob is a biblical name, father  of the tribes of isreal.  Since the beginning there has been this idea of faith and leadership and sacrifice.  And as overt as the idea of Christian Shepherd is, I did not feel like they rammed it down my throat.  Oh and I am a neo-pagan and often feel like christianity is rammed down my throat.  I didn't with this.  I like the idea that these people of vastly different faiths, all moved on together.   I think that is the reason why their were soooo many multifaith symbols in the chapel.  (plus a funeral home chapel normally is non-faith / non denominational as to serve the whole public, although the giant statue of Christ out front may sway it towards christianity a little more than I would have liked).

Almost everything in this show is up to some sort of inturpretation, and maybe that is what I love about it.  It doesn't matter what someone else took away from the show, but what I (you) took away from the show.   

uhm yeah - that is the old testament, the Torah - Jewish not Christian

Well . . . Judeo-Christian . . .  mkay?

2010-05-24 1:48 PM
in reply to: #2877084

User image

Champion
New York, NY
again, the faith overtones did not bug me as much as the ending being (to me) explicitly Christian.  Turned me off a bit.
2010-05-24 1:53 PM
in reply to: #2877915

User image

Expert
Glen Burnie, Maryland
TriRSquared - 2010-05-24 11:02 AM
marmadaddy - 2010-05-24 10:54 AM BTW, did anyone else think that the skeletons in the light pool were supposed to be previous "Jacks" who had saved the world before him? That the writers were hinting at a neverending battle between good and evil? 

Was not sure what the make of that either.  I thought maybe it was people who tried to "steal" the light and died.  But the pool spit out both the MIB and Jack's bodies.  So why not these bodies?

And if Desmond was the only one would could withstand the "electromagnetic" stuff in the pool why did Jack live?  It just got sloppy towards the end.

IMKO it was just a prop the makes the place look dangerous and spook.  No further thought was put into them.

And, why did the MIB become Smokie when he went down but no one else?
2010-05-24 1:59 PM

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL

Just have to go on record I may be only person out there that has never seen this show.   Never intentionally avoided it, but I always felt it was like a good book or movie where you had to start at the begining and I never had the time to that. 

2010-05-24 2:00 PM
in reply to: #2878613

Master

SCamp07 - 2010-05-24 2:53 PM
marmadaddy - 2010-05-24 10:54 AM BTW, did anyone else think that the skeletons in the light pool were supposed to be previous "Jacks" who had saved the world before him? That the writers were hinting at a neverending battle between good and evil? 

Was not sure what the make of that either.  I thought maybe it was people who tried to "steal" the light and died.  But the pool spit out both the MIB and Jack's bodies.  So why not these bodies?

And if Desmond was the only one would could withstand the "electromagnetic" stuff in the pool why did Jack live?  It just got sloppy towards the end.

IMKO it was just a prop the makes the place look dangerous and spook.  No further thought was put into them.

Also, MIB wasn't exactly a terrible, horrible person before he became Smokey.  He just wanted to get off the damn island.  He hadn't done anything really that bad....well, excpet killing his fake mother, who'd killed his real mother.

2010-05-24 2:20 PM
in reply to: #2878613

User image

Champion
the colony texas
SCamp07 - 2010-05-24 1:53 PM

He didn't

the MIB died, when he went down,,, the smoke moster was released and was able to inhabit/assume/ duplicate a life form that looked like the MIB. big difference.   the actual MIB was found by Jacob in the stream, and laid to rest. Just like when the smoke monster was appearing like Locke,, Locke's actual body was in the coffin/box then buried
2010-05-24 2:24 PM
in reply to: #2878736

Master

Gaarryy - 2010-05-24 3:20 PM
SCamp07 - 2010-05-24 1:53 PM

He didn't

the MIB died, when he went down,,, the smoke moster was released and was able to inhabit/assume/ duplicate a life form that looked like the MIB. big difference.   the actual MIB was found by Jacob in the stream, and laid to rest. Just like when the smoke monster was appearing like Locke,, Locke's actual body was in the coffin/box then buried

Oh...duh!  Thanks for the clarification.

2010-05-24 2:47 PM
in reply to: #2877854

User image

Expert
Alabama
megtrow - 2010-05-24 9:45 AM Well, I slept on it... and I'm still disappointed with the ending.

I understand what they were going for, I understand that the Sideways reality was actually a Purgatory-type of thing and that everyone was able to cross-over to wherever it was that they were going once they were all together and remembered the most important parts of their lives (which had occurred on the island, together).  I get that.  But I don't like it. 

[As an aside, why were baby Aaron and Penny in the church??  And why not so many others?  Anyway...]

My biggest problem with this ending is that they never answered any of the main questions.  None of them.  Even though they have always pushed the Science Vs Faith angle, Science went completely out the window this season.  And if the Island Timeline was actually the real timeline where people lived and died... that means that we still had the Dharma Initiative, the four-toed statue, Charles Widmore and his crazy quest for the island, the island "moving" and flashing through time... there are so many crazy things that really did occur, and we've been expecting answers for, and we've never gotten them.  I felt like this ending was an excuse for them to not have to answer any of the questions I had.  And I'm sad because of that.

Maybe that is part of the point.  In our faith, sometimes we believe we have it all figured out as black and white with very little in between.  More than one war was fought because of religion.  

But in science, we have discovered a lot, but there is still so much to explore and find that the possibilities are truly endless.  There are still so many unanswered questions.

2010-05-24 2:52 PM
in reply to: #2878306

User image

Expert
Alabama
gearboy - 2010-05-24 11:55 AM
brynn - 2010-05-24 10:45 AM
gearboy - 2010-05-24 9:35 AM
brynn - 2010-05-24 8:25 AM Whaaaa???? I am a Christian, and the ending did not have any of this, that I could see. At best if we're talking religion, this was a Universalist ending - all roads lead to heaven, you don't have to really repent or anything to get there. You just have to be "ready". No talk of Jesus or anything, and He's pretty foundational if we're talking Christianity. At any rate, I liked the ending. I totally cried when Claire and Charlie found eachother....I love their story, and I love both of their characters. OK so I also cried about Sayid and whatever her name is too. I also thought it was so sweet when Kate told Claire that no one know how to be a parent, at least not at first.

Really?  I think it must be that because you ARE a christian, the symbolism is almost invisible to you - like asking a fish about the water.  I recall back in my HS English Lit class being enraged at how EVERYTHING we read had Christ analogies. 

But here you go:  The leader of the group takes on the the task of defeating the evil.  In the process, he gets wounded and then killed.  (Didn't you notice that he got stabbed in the side of the chest - like Christ was pierced by the soldier's lance?).  He gets killed but then is miraculously resurrected. He meets up with his father, who leads him back to his followers, before his father again goes back into the heavenly light, while the followers all sit and wait for something in the church.

It is hard to see it NOT in religous terms, and given the specifics, hard to see it as other than christian. Certainly not Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist, Sikh, Hindi, Wiccan, or animist in the imagery.
I can kind of see how Jack is a Christ-like character, and yes I did notice him getting stabbed in the side. But I guess repentance and faith in Jesus Christ are so fundamental to my faith that anything without those doesn't seem like much of a "Christian religious lesson".

Except that there are plenty of versions of christianity that require works, or have predetermined destiny, that the main issue in seeing Christ-allegories are the actions of the main characters.  Like the Narnia books - very clearly christian, and yet no mention (that I recall) of Jesus.

Someone who doesn't know anything about the Bible couldn't watch this show and put anything together about Christianity at all. Plus Christianity has no purgatory unless you are Catholic, which is kind of Christian but kind of not depending on who you ask. Just my 2 cents!

I am not touching THAT live wire with a 10 foot pole - having gone to a Catholic university and married a Catholic girl, whose family is still Catholic.  By most standards I am aware of, Catholics are Christian.  And that's all I am going to say about THAT.

I happen to be Catholic, and would definitely consider myself a Christian...don't know how you can come to any other conclusion.  Anyway, married a good Baptist...must have converted her to the dark side of the force (for a LOST/Star Wars reference).

2010-05-24 2:58 PM
in reply to: #2877882

User image

Pro
Texas
marmadaddy - 2010-05-24 9:54 AM BTW, did anyone else think that the skeletons in the light pool were supposed to be previous "Jacks" who had saved the world before him? That the writers were hinting at a neverending battle between good and evil? 

Given that Desmond was just laying there when Jack showed up instead of being spit out, I'd be more likely to venture they were previous "Desmonds".
2010-05-24 3:05 PM
in reply to: #2878640

User image

Master
Chicago
cardenas1 - 2010-05-24 1:59 PM

Just have to go on record I may be only person out there that has never seen this show.   Never intentionally avoided it, but I always felt it was like a good book or movie where you had to start at the begining and I never had the time to that. 

I'm in the same boat.  I've never even seen 1 second of it.  Not really sure I have an desire to watch it either. 
2010-05-24 3:12 PM
in reply to: #2878641

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
hamiltks10 - 2010-05-24 3:00 PM

SCamp07 - 2010-05-24 2:53 PM

Also, MIB wasn't exactly a terrible, horrible person before he became Smokey.  He just wanted to get off the damn island.  He hadn't done anything really that bad....well, excpet killing his fake mother, who'd killed his real mother.

And to be fair, she DID try to kill him first.  Up to that point, all he did was try to get away from the island. 
2010-05-24 3:13 PM
in reply to: #2878918

User image

Elite
Muskego, WI

mattb1 - 2010-05-24 3:05 PM
cardenas1 - 2010-05-24 1:59 PM

I'm in the same boat.  I've never even seen 1 second of it.  Not really sure I have an desire to watch it either. 

Whew, I'm so relieved.  I hate it when threads are answered only by people interested in the topic.

2010-05-24 3:18 PM
in reply to: #2878399

User image

Pro
Bripod - 2010-05-24 1:21 PM 

I think what Brynn was getting at was, while there were some parallels to Christianity, there were several key components missing (one of them JESUS CHRIST), enough so that it wasn't really a "Christian religious lesson" at all. Oh and to help you on the whole purgatory thing, even the current pope admits that the prooftext that Catholics have been using to support their belief in purgatory (don't remember which letter to the Corinthians, but it's one of them) doesn't have anything to do with such an idea, nor does it support it. So this whole "If you remember how you died, then you can move on" thing is in no way analogous to Christianity which says we are all inherently evil and only by the shed blood of Jesus can we be granted forgiveness and everlasting life IF we will repent and put our trust in him. No repentance, no trust in Jesus, not even as much as a mention of Jesus. Therefore no "Christian religious lesson", at least in terms of true Biblical Christianity. But this is a thread about LOST, not Christianity, so... /rant

The point I think you are missing is that there is a LOT of christian allegory literature out there.  Most of it never explicitly mentions Jesus (Again, Narnia comes to mind; but I also remember from my HS english lit "Billy Budd" as another).  The point of being literature is that it uses metaphor and allegory - much like Jesus himself allegedly did - to tell the story. As someone who was raised jewish, I am very aware of and sensitive to these in the popular media.  

2010-05-24 3:28 PM
in reply to: #2878964

User image

Expert
Westchester, NY

Wasn't there a huge statue of Jesus outside the "church" they all gathered in at the end?

Also:

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2010/05/24/2010-05-24_lost__religion_christianity_and_faith_played_big_role_in_abc_series.html

Again...I personally DON"T CARE that there was a spiritual element to the show.  I usually like that element.  I just wanted MORE then that.

2010-05-24 5:16 PM

I've got mixed emotions about the final episode and the series in general.  I thought the final episode was very moving and I enjoyed it, but as far as answering all the questions, or even some of them, it failed miserably. 

So the big "reveal" for the final episode is that the flash-sideways universe is actually a flash-forward universe in some form of purgatory where all of the major characters who are not busy on other projects can get together to work through their issues before moving on into the afterlife.  Great.  Fine, I can accept that and it makes some sense.  Too bad the whole flash-sideways universe is a season six phenomenon and has nothing to do with the first five seasons. 

So what answers did the provide about the rest of the series?  How about the big one, i.e. what was the island?  It was real.  Okay, but real what?  No answer.  Feel free to speculate.  What BS.

One of the charms of the series was that it always blurred the lines between faith and science.  You always thought there might be some purely scientific answer for the experiences of the characters.  The final episode/season forecloses any possible scientific explanation for what was happening.  You can't explain how Jacob/Albert/Jack/Hurley achieve their immortality without having to resort to "magic."  What annoys me is that, in years past, the writers/producers made a point of claiming that this all could/would be explained.  "Don't worry, we know what we are doing, we have a plan and it will all be explained."  Now we get "I dunno, it was just magic and stuff.  But the last few months was in purgatory.  Does that help?"  Nope.  Fail.
2010-05-24 5:29 PM
in reply to: #2878964

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
gearboy - 2010-05-24 3:18 PM

Bripod - 2010-05-24 1:21 PM 

I think what Brynn was getting at was, while there were some parallels to Christianity, there were several key components missing (one of them JESUS CHRIST), enough so that it wasn't really a "Christian religious lesson" at all. Oh and to help you on the whole purgatory thing, even the current pope admits that the prooftext that Catholics have been using to support their belief in purgatory (don't remember which letter to the Corinthians, but it's one of them) doesn't have anything to do with such an idea, nor does it support it. So this whole "If you remember how you died, then you can move on" thing is in no way analogous to Christianity which says we are all inherently evil and only by the shed blood of Jesus can we be granted forgiveness and everlasting life IF we will repent and put our trust in him. No repentance, no trust in Jesus, not even as much as a mention of Jesus. Therefore no "Christian religious lesson", at least in terms of true Biblical Christianity. But this is a thread about LOST, not Christianity, so... /rant

The point I think you are missing is that there is a LOT of christian allegory literature out there.  Most of it never explicitly mentions Jesus (Again, Narnia comes to mind; but I also remember from my HS english lit "Billy Budd" as another).  The point of being literature is that it uses metaphor and allegory - much like Jesus himself allegedly did - to tell the story. As someone who was raised jewish, I am very aware of and sensitive to these in the popular media.  

The point I think you're missing is that an allegory attemps to re-tell the same story using types and shadows of the real thing. Yes, C.S. Lewis (a Christian) wrote the Narnia series where Aslan (type of Jesus) atones for the sins of his people, is resurrected, defeating death and evil, and takes those who have faith in him home to glory. I think the point I'm missing is when the heck that happened anywhere in LOST! If it was an allegory, though it certainly borrowed some things from Christianity, (as well as eastern religions, paganism, and other mystical beliefs) it was not an allegory of Christianity.

From the article linked by Fatdoggy:
"The show is a reflection of our beliefs." - Carlton Cuse

So there's your allegory - whatever those dudes believe, the show was an allegory of that.
2010-05-24 5:32 PM
in reply to: #2879300

User image

Buttercup
I did not get a sense of an overriding Christian story. Yes, there were SOME elements, but it certainly did not dominate the story. In fact, I saw it as a sort of Buddhist message - when you sort yourself out, then you can leave the cycle of rebirth. Some had more work to do, some were ready to move on. Enlightenment, anyone? En-light-enment.

The stained glass window in the chamber where Jack and his father spoke - it had symbols from Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, a Chinese or was it Japanese character (Confusionism? Taoism?). There were either 6 or 8 symbols (I haven't rewatched it yet).

2010-05-24 5:47 PM
in reply to: #2879339

User image

Pro
Husker Nation
Renee - 2010-05-24 5:32 PM

I did not get a sense of an overriding Christian story. Yes, there were SOME elements, but it certainly did not dominate the story. In fact, I saw it as a sort of Buddhist message - when you sort yourself out, then you can leave the cycle of rebirth. Some had more work to do, some were ready to move on. Enlightenment, anyone? En-light-enment.

The stained glass window in the chamber where Jack and his father spoke - it had symbols from Christianity, Judaism, Buddhism, a Chinese or was it Japanese character (Confusionism? Taoism?). There were either 6 or 8 symbols (I haven't rewatched it yet).

Thank you!

2010-05-24 6:00 PM
in reply to: #2879300

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL

LazyFatDog - 2010-05-24 6:16 PM  Too bad the whole flash-sideways universe is a season six phenomenon and has nothing to do with the first five seasons. 

So what answers did the provide about the rest of the series?  How about the big one, i.e. what was the island?

A red herring.

2010-05-24 6:13 PM
in reply to: #2879330

User image

Pro
Bripod - 2010-05-24 6:29 PM 

The point I think you're missing is that an allegory attemps to re-tell the same story using types and shadows of the real thing. Yes, C.S. Lewis (a Christian) wrote the Narnia series where Aslan (type of Jesus) atones for the sins of his people, is resurrected, defeating death and evil, and takes those who have faith in him home to glory. I think the point I'm missing is when the heck that happened anywhere in LOST! If it was an allegory, though it certainly borrowed some things from Christianity, (as well as eastern religions, paganism, and other mystical beliefs) it was not an allegory of Christianity. From the article linked by Fatdoggy: "The show is a reflection of our beliefs." - Carlton Cuse So there's your allegory - whatever those dudes believe, the show was an allegory of that.

I think part of the problem lies in the poorly thought out arc of the story line.  They went from almost "X-Files" types of mysteries to scientific mysteries to metaphysical mysteries.  Basically, I think they wrote themselves more or less into a corner, and used an almost literal Deus ex Machina ending.  Hence all the religious themes without making a more coherent story line in the last season.  So I still contend that they used a strongly christian set of themes in that last episode, watered down by having symbols of other faiths in the background but really very little of the story line fits any other religion (though I will allow a case can be made for a "Cain and Abel" story line for Jacob and his brother Smokey, or a somewhat "Job" like story-line where Jacob seems to be bringing people to the island for years mostly to see how they respond - both of which are more Old-Testament).  There were obviously a lot of themes of redemption throughout the series, as the characters changed. 

In the end, it was an interesting piece of television, but they "lost" the opportunity to make a truly significant piece of media art.
2010-05-24 7:23 PM

User image

Upon the Rock
Here's what I think:

The whole story....everything.....LOST is about Jack Shepard.  From the initial plane crash to life on the island and everything they went through, the sideways world, the heart of the island, everything.  The story was about Jack's journey from a man of science (which is why early on in the show we see a lot more of the sci-fi stuff) to a man of faith (ie his "letting go").  We see all of the spiritual stuff this last season because that is a reflection of Jack's heart/attitude.

The reason we don't get answers to every little detail is because the whole point of the show is to tell Jack Shepard's story.  We did get all the answers from this standpoint IMO.

All that took place throughout the course of the show was necessary in order for Jack to get to a place where he was ready to "go on".

I agree the island was real and the sideways world was some sort of pergatory, Jack died in the bamboo field after saving the island.

Everybody dies, the show was just a picture of a higher power working many things together to change Jack's heart to have faith and be ready.

Just my thoughts....

2010-05-24 7:45 PM
in reply to: #2877510

User image

Champion
Calgary
TriRSquared - 2010-05-24 6:46 AM

I almost do not want to focus on that too much because it makes the "real" story line pretty weak in it's ending.  Bad guy gets killed by good guy, good guy sacrifices himself for the good of others.

I agree. Kinda tricky. The writers answered a different question (sideways/purgatory). They didn't answer anything about the origins of the island or jacob/smockies "mom" or who was there before. Although maybe this is the only real unanswered question. Everything else derives from the islands existence and people finding it or being brought to it and messing around on it. Very tricky, it is almost as if by answering a question that they pretty much just created this season they give people an artificial sense of completion.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » LOOOOOOOOOOOOST!!!!! (spoilers, duh) Rss Feed  

of 6