Other Resources My Cup of Joe » LOOOOOOOOOOOOST!!!!! (spoilers, duh) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 6

2010-05-26 8:41 AM
in reply to: #2877084

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: LOOOOOOOOOOOOST!!!!! (spoilers, duh)
Here is a man with some questions.

http://ht.ly/1PMUP

seriously funny.

2010-05-26 10:17 AM
in reply to: #2881055

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Fatdoggy - 2010-05-25 1:13 PM

Interesting read, but does not address the enormous problem those of us who feel let down by the finale have....it totally ignores the 100s of questions raised by seasons 1-5. 

IF everything that happened on the island was real then NOTHING was explained.  NOTHING.  NADA. ZILCH.  ZIP.

I'd start a list of things not explained, but I think it is time for me to "let go" and move on myself.  ;-)

Surely the folks in this camp have to realize that if the finale was concerned with providing "scientific" explanations and answers to everyone's laundry list of questions, it would have been the boringest 2-1/2 hours on television. Ever.
2010-05-26 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2883056

User image

Expert
Westchester, NY

the bear - 2010-05-26 11:17 AM

Interesting read, but does not address the enormous problem those of us who feel let down by the finale have....it totally ignores the 100s of questions raised by seasons 1-5. 

IF everything that happened on the island was real then NOTHING was explained.  NOTHING.  NADA. ZILCH.  ZIP.

I'd start a list of things not explained, but I think it is time for me to "let go" and move on myself.  ;-)

Surely the folks in this camp have to realize that if the finale was concerned with providing "scientific" explanations and answers to everyone's laundry list of questions, it would have been the boringest 2-1/2 hours on television. Ever.

I did not need boring "scientific" answers, but some "sci fi" answers that made sense in terms of the show's "reality" would have been nice. 

2010-05-26 11:16 AM
in reply to: #2883230

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Fatdoggy - 2010-05-26 10:57 AM

I did not need boring "scientific" answers, but some "sci fi" answers that made sense in terms of the show's "reality" would have been nice. 

That's what I meant by "scientific." Pseudo science, sci-fi, whatever. No way real science couls explain most of the island.

So you really feel they didn't provide "some answers"? They provided answers to a lot of things. Maybe they didn't provide enough answers for you, or answer everything you wanted, but it would have been nearly impossible (and as I said, incredibly boring) to provide every answer to every question that everyone came up with.

No way was any ending going to please everyone. Personally I think they did a great job with an impossible task, and I'm happily "closed" on the show.
2010-05-26 11:49 AM
in reply to: #2883284

User image

Extreme Veteran

the bear - 2010-05-26 11:16 AM

That's what I meant by "scientific." Pseudo science, sci-fi, whatever. No way real science couls explain most of the island.

So you really feel they didn't provide "some answers"? They provided answers to a lot of things. Maybe they didn't provide enough answers for you, or answer everything you wanted, but it would have been nearly impossible (and as I said, incredibly boring) to provide every answer to every question that everyone came up with.

No way was any ending going to please everyone. Personally I think they did a great job with an impossible task, and I'm happily "closed" on the show.

Examples of things I think they did at least an acceptable level of explaning or at least allowed the viewer to draw their own conclusons (just a few, there could be tons more):

- How the heck did a polar bear end up on the island

- How did some people seem to know how to get to/off the island

- What yanked the pilot out of the cockpit/what is that rummaging around knocking down trees/chasing the survivors through the jungle/etc

- Why'd the smoke monster let some people live and brutally kill others

- What were the numbers

- Who is this Jacob that nobody seems to be able to see

- What was the deal with the sideways world (wasn't my favorite part of the show, but eh, they explained it for the most part)

Things I'd have liked to have been covered a bit better (again could probably be tons more, perhaps people consider things like this explained better than others):

- Walt

- Whitmore

- Sayid/Clair's turning/corruption (they seemed to become bad people, then they suddenly weren't so much anymore)

Maybe if people listed what they'd liked to have seen wrapped up better, others might be able to provide some answers that were missed.

2010-05-26 12:19 PM
in reply to: #2883284

User image

Champion
Calgary
the bear - 2010-05-26 10:16 AM

I mean the thing about science fiction, which is I guess what Lost was at the end of the day, is that you have to accept the premise. Premise is, "spooky mysterious island that does spooky mysterious things". Accept the premise, the rest is the story and how people deal with the premise. They could have just called the thing at the middle of the island the Flux Capacitor or a Warp Drive. Frankly, the more I think about it, the more I realize I had unrealistic hopes for this show, they never explained the Flux Capacitor or Warp Drive (oh and remember Westley in Star Trek, just takes off with freaky lizard skin guy to live "out of time" and manipulate warp fields like Mozart does with music, remember that, explain that).

Now, fact is the first couple season were about the island and about the mystery, so the above analogy does not strictly hold, but I think as the series wrapped up it became less about the island and more about the people.

2010-05-26 12:40 PM

User image

2010-05-26 1:45 PM

Master
The smoke monster couldn't kill the candidates, but could kill others because of the rules. That's why the pilot was killed, he wasn't on the list...and I believe Eko wasn't on the list either. Remember in season 1, Locke was confronted by the smoke monster while hunting boar. Kate and Michael could see the jungle being tore up from a distance and see that it was moving towards Locke. Locke later came back to camp with a boar with no harm done to him.

For the polar bears, I believe that they were there to move the island. Remember that it was freezing cold to where the dial was to move the island, also remember when Charlotte was on an excavation, she found a polar bear skeleton in the desert with a dharma insignia. That bear was used to move the island at one point or another.

What's interesting, if you go back to the season one DVD, they have a rough sketch of what they wanted the season to be. Michael Keaton was approached to play Jack, but turned it down...and that's when Matthew Fox came on board. Than, instead of the pilot being killed off, Jack was suppose to be killed off right away...but the studio felt that killing off a main character that the audience clung onto wouldn't be right. Interesting to see if they did follow those intial guidelines, what the show would have turned out to be.

Edited by nighthawk 2010-05-26 1:46 PM
2010-05-26 2:05 PM
in reply to: #2883829

User image

Expert
Westchester, NY

nighthawk - 2010-05-26 2:45 PM  For the polar bears, I believe that they were there to move the island. Remember that it was freezing cold to where the dial was to move the island, also remember when Charlotte was on an excavation, she found a polar bear skeleton in the desert with a dharma insignia. That bear was used to move the island at one point or another.

Uh.....the polar bears was one of the few minor things I think they DID address and I don;'t think they had ANYTHING to do with moving the island.

The Dharma Initiative did alot of experimenting with animals on the island, Polar Bears among them.  I'm sure they sent a polar bear (and probably other animals) through the "portal" before they tried it with a human.

BUT....that begs the question....HOW THE HECK CAN AN ISLAND "MOVE" BY TURNING A MAGIC WHEEL?

Sigh.....why is this still bothering me!?  ;-)

2010-05-26 2:09 PM
in reply to: #2883894

User image

Champion
SRQ, FL
Fatdoggy - 2010-05-26 3:05 PM

nighthawk - 2010-05-26 2:45 PM  For the polar bears, I believe that they were there to move the island. Remember that it was freezing cold to where the dial was to move the island, also remember when Charlotte was on an excavation, she found a polar bear skeleton in the desert with a dharma insignia. That bear was used to move the island at one point or another.

Uh.....the polar bears was one of the few minor things I think they DID address and I don;'t think they had ANYTHING to do with moving the island.

The Dharma Initiative did alot of experimenting with animals on the island, Polar Bears among them.  I'm sure they sent a polar bear (and probably other animals) through the "portal" before they tried it with a human.

BUT....that begs the question....HOW THE HECK CAN AN ISLAND "MOVE" BY TURNING A MAGIC WHEEL?

It didn't move physically.  It moved through time.  The wheel must let some of the "light" out that causes the island to time hop.

I mean come on, it follows the laws of physics perfectly
2010-05-26 2:19 PM
in reply to: #2883829

User image

Champion
Menomonee Falls, WI
nighthawk - 2010-05-26 1:45 PM

What's interesting, if you go back to the season one DVD, they have a rough sketch of what they wanted the season to be. Michael Keaton was approached to play Jack, but turned it down...and that's when Matthew Fox came on board. Than, instead of the pilot being killed off, Jack was suppose to be killed off right away...but the studio felt that killing off a main character that the audience clung onto wouldn't be right. Interesting to see if they did follow those intial guidelines, what the show would have turned out to be.

So I guess the show that turned out to be all about Jack's personal journey wouldn't have turned out to be all about Jack's personal journey, huh? That leads me to question the producers' claim that they always knew what the final shots (Jack's eye) would be from Day One. Or whether they really knew where plotlines like those involving Walt, the Polar Bears, Nikki and Paolo, the time-traveling island, Widmore wanting to return to the island or why he faked the sunken airliner, et all, were really going to go.

2010-05-26 3:46 PM
in reply to: #2883935

User image

Pro
Texas
scoobysdad - 2010-05-26 2:19 PM
nighthawk - 2010-05-26 1:45 PM What's interesting, if you go back to the season one DVD, they have a rough sketch of what they wanted the season to be. Michael Keaton was approached to play Jack, but turned it down...and that's when Matthew Fox came on board. Than, instead of the pilot being killed off, Jack was suppose to be killed off right away...but the studio felt that killing off a main character that the audience clung onto wouldn't be right. Interesting to see if they did follow those intial guidelines, what the show would have turned out to be.
So I guess the show that turned out to be all about Jack's personal journey wouldn't have turned out to be all about Jack's personal journey, huh? That leads me to question the producers' claim that they always knew what the final shots (Jack's eye) would be from Day One. Or whether they really knew where plotlines like those involving Walt, the Polar Bears, Nikki and Paolo, the time-traveling island, Widmore wanting to return to the island or why he faked the sunken airliner, et all, were really going to go.

As far as I've seen, the only person who claimed they knew the show would end with Jack's eye closing was Matthew Fox.
2010-05-26 5:48 PM

User image

BTW, i read this afternoon that the images of the wreckage over the final credits were not added by the producers, but by the network in order to "smooth the transition from the end to the news"

Can't vouch for it  
2010-05-26 6:41 PM
in reply to: #2883605

User image

Buttercup

Hah! I love The Onion.
2010-05-26 9:26 PM
in reply to: #2883894

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania

But that makes no sense whatsoever!  Polar bears are not a handy species, they don't typically live in environments that humans do well in, they are very nasty creatures - more dangerous than grizzlies, they don't share biological markers that would make them a suitable substitute for experimentation (unlike say pigs or great apes).
2010-05-26 11:53 PM
in reply to: #2884916

User image

gearboy - 2010-05-26 7:26 PM

But that makes no sense whatsoever!  Polar bears are not a handy species, they don't typically live in environments that humans do well in, they are very nasty creatures - more dangerous than grizzlies, they don't share biological markers that would make them a suitable substitute for experimentation (unlike say pigs or great apes).

Yeah!  Polar Bears on an island??  Preposterous!  But the smoke monster?  Now there's something!   

2010-05-27 7:30 AM
in reply to: #2885062

User image

Pro
the Alabama part of Pennsylvania
ChrisM - 2010-05-27 12:53 AM
Yeah!  Polar Bears on an island??  Preposterous!  But the smoke monster?  Now there's something!   

Hey, I'm willing to suspend my disbelief about the smoke monster.  They don't exist anywhere else, they can make up whatever cockamamie rules for it they want (it can turn into dead people, it sounds like a rattling machine, it can pick people up - sure whatever).  But they ended up playing fast and loose with everything else too.
2010-05-28 4:17 PM

User image

Buttercup
I've always been intrigued by the Eko character/storyline and felt there was more to why the Smoke killed him. After learning of Jacob's past with his brother (fratricide!), I think I understand what that was about.

Eko is responsible for Yemi's death; Jacob is responsible for his brother's death. Fake Yemi kept telling Eko to repent. Remember how Eko eyeballed Yemi and said "You are not my brother" and how Eko refused to repent? I think Smoke Manwithoutaname needed Eko to repent of his brother's death, as a proxy for Jacob to repent of his death. Eko refused and was, thus, punished with death.

A side story, to be sure, but still a piece of the puzzle that I think was solved.
New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » LOOOOOOOOOOOOST!!!!! (spoilers, duh) Rss Feed  

of 6