Woodlake
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 43m 46s
Overall Rank = 168/271
Age Group = 40 - 44F
Age Group Rank = 8/16
Pre-race routine:

Female Rank - 44 of 97.

Ate two eggs with coffee at home, then drove to race sight. About 14 members from my Tri Club were there so we were trying to find each other and get set up. Bike racks were a free for all.
Event warmup:

Didn't really warm up. The air was chilly and I didn't want to get in the water too early, but I should have done a warm-up swim.
Swim
  • 16m 28s
  • 656 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

I ended up in the crowd and kept getting kicked and bumped. My goggles got kicked off early on and I had to tread water and try to get them back on and adjusted. This seemed to really throw me off and I couldn't get in a groove. Definitely not a good swim for me. Coach said this course was closer to 750 yards, but not sure on the true length. Being a small local event, the measurements were all off.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up first. Put goggles on under swim cap.
Transition 1
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

Transition was set up in a sandy area so there was sand on my feet. I started to shove my feet into my bike shoes, but then decided to rinse them real quick since I had a water bottle sitting right there. This took a bit of extra time to unscrew the water bottle lid and poor on my feet.

Be more prepared to rinse feet if necessary.
Bike
  • 59m 10s
  • 17.2 miles
  • 17.44 mile/hr
Comments:

My energy level was a bit low; I should have been able to do better on the hills.

Just keep training.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Tri club member waved me in; that was nice! She also descibed the run course to me and pointed me in the right direction when I didn't know where the run out was!

I think this was the first time I did not check all of the in/out locations prior to the race. I had no idea where the run out was!
Run
  • 25m 28s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

This course went through the woods then down a sandy road beside the lake. It had rained so it was muddy and had puddles making it a bit difficult to maneuver. Plus it was humid. Again I felt low energy.

It helped to see James, our club VP, at the last curve to the finish. He was shouting encouraging words at me which helped me sprint on in! A few other members were at the finish cheering.
Post race
Warm down:

Found my chiropractor at the finish line! His wife did the duathlon. He's doing Xterra tomorrow, so did not race today. Then met up with the Tri Team members and watched the rest of our people come in. Watched awards ceremony (a few of our members placed) and got pics taken in our new Tri Club Team uniforms.

Photobucket

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too much LSD and not enough speedwork.

Event comments:

This race was a small local race and I did not expect much. I was totally surprised by how well this race was conducted! I've NEVER received a finisher's medal for a sprint distance before, so that was a nice touch. They had a great awards ceremony and even raffled off a LOT of items afterwards. I won a new helmet! They also had hotdogs after the race. Very nice race and I would do it again.

Last updated: 2010-03-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:28 | 656 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/16
Overall: 0/271
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:39
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:59:10 | 17.2 miles | 17.44 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: Out and back with hills.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:28 | 03 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Mostly off-road wet, sandy loop.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-05-29 12:20 PM

User image

Expert
, North Carolina
Subject: Woodlake Sprint Triathlon

2010-05-29 2:26 PM
in reply to: #2890134

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Woodlake Triathlon
Congrats on what sounded like a fun race, except the getting kicked in the swim part.
Oh, Happy Birthday for yesterday.
2010-05-31 6:39 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
well done.
2010-06-02 3:07 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-06-02 10:34 AM
in reply to: #2895836

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Nice race!  Sounds like a tough run.

Next time just squirt your feet with the water bottle lid on (unless you meant a disposable-type water bottle).  The standard bike kind of bottle works great for that.

2010-06-02 12:45 PM

New user

Why did the guy with the lowest time get DQ'd??

2010-06-02 1:54 PM
in reply to: #2896874

Expert
, North Carolina
Emily - You're right.  It had one of those pull up spouts.  Not sure why I didn't do that.  I hadn't given any prior thought to the sand and was just caught off guard.  But I have another beach swim coming up, so I'll be better prepared!

westpal6 - 2010-06-02 1:45 PM Why did the guy with the lowest time get DQ'd??

Good question.  I have no idea since this was such a small local race (not USAT).  The measurements were off; the swim was long and the run was short.  I think the bike was correct.  Rules did not seem very important at this race.  The transition area was a free for all and there was a whole lot of drafting going on.

Only thing I can figure is on the race results, the DQ is under his run rank.  We had to run through the woods, make a right along the lake, then double back straight to the finish.  I wonder if he made a left out of the woods to the finish and cut off the portion that went by the lake.
2010-06-03 10:39 AM

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Good race!  (And you, somehow, ended up in the middle of the group!

For the sand, you might have as much success just brusing it off with a small towel/t-shirt (if your feet are relatively dry after running through the sand). 
2010-06-04 7:35 AM
in reply to: #2898866

Expert
, North Carolina
McFuzz - 2010-06-03 11:39 AM Good race!  (And you, somehow, ended up in the middle of the group!

For the sand, you might have as much success just brusing it off with a small towel/t-shirt (if your feet are relatively dry after running through the sand). 

See.  You do need to point out EVERYTHING to me.  Wink
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Woodlake Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed