United States
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 10m 12s
Overall Rank = 1064/2010
Age Group = M 35-39
Age Group Rank = 177/
Pre-race routine:

Up @ 4, no snooze needed. Grabbed some coffee and bagels from the hotel and drove out to the park. I hopped the bus from athlete parking to T1, and as we got there, they announced wetsuits would be allowed. Hooray. Except that I left mine in the car. Damnit. So I boarded a bus and went back for it. I had plenty of time, so no big deal. Made it back in plenty of time, so no worries. Downed the bagel w/ peanut butter and a Myoplex.
Event warmup:

Had like 40 minutes from the time the pros went till my swim wave, so I was sitting on the dock just stretching and loosening up. Watched the pros come into T1- Andy Potts, Chris Lieto, Chrissy, etc. Totally cool. Felt pretty good by the time my wave was ready to go.
Swim
  • 31m 13s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 29s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started out in front of pack. Couple d-bags were ready to throw elbows to get their spots in front, so I decided to make sure to put the pedal to the metal as soon as the gun went off. Started out in full sprint and managed to break from the pack. About 2 other guys were keeping with me, and I executed perfectly till the first turn. Sun was super bright and I could not see jack as the sun was right in my eyes. Got kicked in the head and the goggles came off. DOH! Put them on and they filled with water 2X, had to stop and empty them out as well as readjust. I wasted at least 2 minutes doing this. But there wasn't much I could do with the sun. Finished strong, looking around I was in the front of my pack as the AG rank would indicate.
What would you do differently?:

I'm REALLY going to get tinted open-water goggles going forward. They're worth it.
Transition 1
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

I don't know why for $275 Ironman, Inc can't have wetsuit strippers????? Other than taking forever to get out of my suit (forgot bodyglide), this was fine. The T1 was huge and traffic moved pretty smoothly. Opted to run barefoot, mixed feelings about this. Pavement was rough, but I may have saved a little time.

Put on bodyglide and/or demand Ironman, Inc invest in some volunteer wetsuit strippers. They should also have sunscreen appliers out there.
Bike
  • 3h 03m 44s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Tough course! I had no idea how hilly easter Kansas is. I loved this course though. Road was in fantastic condition and the local Sheriff did a fantastic job of directing traffic. Aid stations were well stocked and had plenty of volunteers. I was really hot- drank at least 72 oz of water and 2 full Gatorades. Also took a PowerGel each hour. I really got the drinking/nutrition right on this. I was totally disappointed to take 3 hours, thought I could have done it in 2:45. I think the heat in the last hour really did me in. I know I had a good pace, because I was passing as many people as those who were passing me.

I missed a few solid weeks of training due to being in Chicago. I know this affected my riding, but family is more important, so it is what it is. I would like to get a tri bike and take my road bike to Chicago for use there. Someday. Someday. Otherwise I think I executed well.
Transition 2
  • 05m 39s
Comments:

This was slow for 2 reasons: 1) there was a ridiculously long line for the port-a-potty. I waited at least 2 minutes. And there also wasn't anyone doing sunscreen- so I had to run back to my spot and put some on- that was like 2 more minutes. I'll live with the time, as I still got burned it was so hot and sunny out.

Ironman, Inc should really have people applying sunscreen.
Run
  • 2h 26m 16s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

First 2.5 miles were great. It was hotter than hell out, but I was maintaining an 8:30 pace according to my Garmin. At the 2nd aid station down by the lake the heat just hit me. Trying to run up the hill kicked my a$$. Had to walk- I was ticked when I saw the mile 3 sign, I know once I start to walk it's harder to run again. Sure enough, I was walking and running- like a 4/2 ratio, then a 2/2 ratio. It was so hot out there, and I was trying to keep cool. Not thrilled with this, but it was better than Redman last year. My back didn't act up- and I rode with my aerobars! Never felt terrible muscle fatigue or pain, just a lack of energy from the heat.

I need to continue my run training. I'm a lot better than I was last year, despite the lousy split. Just "just keep chipping away at it"- like CitySky likes to say. Oh, and just power up the hills and forget about the heat (if that's possible)
Post race
Warm down:

Food. And lots of ice. Talked with Odenelli, gunshansen, and a few other athletes. I was so hot I just wanted to get back to the hotel for an ice cold shower and a nap. Did both :)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The heat, and some missed training.

Event comments:

LIked this race, but I don't know if I'd do it again- this part of the country is just so hot and humid during the early summer.

Last updated: 2009-12-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:13 | 2112 yards | 01m 29s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/
Overall: 0/2010
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex 3 full
Course: Rectangle out and back.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:20
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
03:03:44 | 56 miles | 18.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Hilly and beautiful around Lawrence. One of the purdiest bike courses I've been on.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:39
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:26:16 | 13.1 miles | 11m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 177/
Performance: Below average
Course: All around Clinton State Park. Pretty flat but very challenging given the heat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-07 12:21 PM

User image

Master
Straight outta Compton
Subject: Ironman Kansas 70.3

2010-06-07 12:57 PM
in reply to: #2905526

User image

Subject: RE: Ironman Kansas 70.3
I think we were a little hot and humid for this time of year, although last year was blazing hot in June too.  Usually we are in the low to mid 80's, so please come again!  Laughing
2010-06-07 1:02 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
Nice job Matt!  Smoking fast swim...even with the goggle mishap!  Running hills is hard...running in heat is even harder.  You had to fight both those yesterday.  Any you are making improvements with your run!  Hope you are drinking lots of water today!
2010-06-07 5:37 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
You are one fast fishy in the water - wow!
I have never heard of/seen sunscreen appliers except in full ironmans, but that would be nice! Wetsuit strippers too!

Great job out there in the brutal heat - woot!

2010-06-07 8:33 PM

User image

Veteran
South Suburb of Chicago, IL
Congrats Matt on your finish!! It was nice meeting you during our  swim session on our made up beach!
2010-06-08 12:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Overland Park, Kansas
Great race Matt

2010-06-09 12:50 PM

User image

Las Vegas
Smokin' fast swim! Can I tie a rope to you next time?
2010-06-09 1:07 PM

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
I'm meeeeellllllllltttttttttiiiiiiiinnnnnngggggg!

Good to see you! Nice job!
2010-06-09 7:18 PM

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Nice job on the race Matt! Way to push through the heat.

I'm with lisac, I've never seen sunscreen appliers and wetsuit strippers at a half either. Seems like they save the red carpet treatment for the full.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Kansas 70.3 Rss Feed