General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Buffalo Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Buffalo, Minnesota
United States
Buffalo Triathlon
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 04m 8s
Overall Rank = 288/324
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/11
Pre-race routine:

We left home at around 2pm to drive up and camp for the night. I had forgotten just how much stuff is required for a camping overnight race. Geeze! Do we really need all that? After picking up packets and having dinner with Bill, Wendy and Zach, we went over to the venue to scope it out. Jeremy and I drove the bike course and that proved to be a really good idea. It's not a straightforward course and it helped to have seen it beforehand. We got back to the campground and set up the tent and tried to go to sleep. Camping on a Saturday night is tough because most people go camping to hang out, drink a little and socialize. We were there to sleep. Conflict of interests for sure. Then it rained at 2am. Not much sleep which I would regret a lot later. In the morning, we had our standard bagel with PB and banana. We also tried out our new camp stove and coffee pot. While it's not as good as at home, it was nice to have fresh coffee at the campground.
Event warmup:

We arrived around 6am and snagged prime bike rack spots. Score! Then we had 3 hours to wait. I don't think I've ever had that much time to wander around before a race. Talked to lots of people (Bryan, Kelly, Bill, Mike, Harvey, Leah). Did a little warm-up. Not much though.
Swim
  • 29m 40s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 59s / 100 meters
Comments:

Good grief! People need to learn to swim straight. If not straight, how about just not on top of me? That would be great. That was the most contact on a swim that I have had. One guy was on me for the first third of the swim. No matter what I did, I couldn't shake him. I may have sent a few rouge strokes his way, but he was relentless. Finally, I got rid of him and someone else jumped on my shoulder. Gah! Maybe it's the neon green. It's like a beacon for those people. I just kept swimming, trying to hold my line and shake off the hangers-on. Coming out of the water, I thought I was about 32 or 33. I had no idea I was under 30. Pretty happy with that.

Nutrition- a gel before heading down to the beach.
What would you do differently?:

Invisibility. Then they couldn't find me and latch on like a remora.
Transition 1
  • 03m 4s
Comments:

Long way to transition. Long hill. Lots of walking. Once I finally got there, it went smoothly.
Bike
  • 1h 21m 49s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.22 mile/hr
Comments:

For the love of gawd, some people out there needed to take a bike handling course. Really! If you're going to enter a race, learn how to ride in a straight line. After the sprint turnoff it got a lot better. Now I could concentrate on actually racing instead of dodging people. Coming back into town was messy. We'll call it "cluster #1". Two way run traffic, a lane of bikes contained in cones, and two way car traffic all on a two lane road. Kind of scary. More on this later.

Nutrition- It was hard to even drink water with all the people out there. Finally in the "feed zone" on the out and back, I grabbed some gel. Tried out the new Powerbar drink. Kind of salty, but might be OK.

No idea. Perhaps not worry about other riders and just go hard from the start.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

I didn't try to jump off the moving bike since there was so much traffic. There was also a steep hill leading to T2, so no need to biff it on the dismount. Once I switched shoes, I blanked on where the run out was. Total blank. Thank you to the dude who pointed me in the right direction.

Remember where run out is. I usually do a mental run through during the last few miles of the bike. This time I was concentrating on not wrecking. Took brain cells away from thinking about T2.
Run
  • 1h 07m 36s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 10m 53s  min/mile
Comments:

I started the run with the plan to just take it easy at a steady pace. This was not an A race, so no reason to kill myself out there. Sadly, there were no mile markers, so I had no real idea of where I was on course. Mile markers are a pretty good idea. I saw Jeremy before the sprint turnaround and he looked like he was doing OK. Maybe holding his arm funny, but I didn't think much of it. That's some foreshadowing for those of you who aren't literay types. I ran with a few different people and chatted a lot during our 6.2 mile journey. There are some pretty nice people in the back of the run. You fast folks don't get to chat it up, now do you? It was hot and there were hills, but in all it was a pretty decent effort for me.

Not much really. Maybe less chat would have brought me in a few seconds faster. Maybe not. In all, it was a good run and I felt fine during and after. Another race with no pain or soreness. That's a win, for sure!
Post race
Warm down:

Met Jeremy at the finish. As we walked to get some water, I noticed his arm was in a splint. Wait! It wasn't in a splint earlier. WTF? Here's the story. As Jeremy was approacing "cluster #1", he was passing a slow dude on a bike. Slowdude moved left for some unknown reason and Jeremy moved left to avoid a crash. That put him in the path of a road barricade which was blocking the road for some reason. He clipped the barricade with his left hand. He stayed upright and rode into T2 unable to use that hand. Must have been a tough time getting the bike stopped at the bottom of the hill. He ran with it, but went to the Med tent after the finish. The medics thought it was probably broken, splinted him up so he could wait for me. We made the decision to go back to Rochester instead of going to the ER in Buffalo. Of course traffic on 494 was another cluster (#2 of the day), so it took us about 3 hours to get from the campground to the hospital. Another 3 hours at the ER and we have an appt for surgery on Wed. for plates and screws to set two broken bones.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too many people. The bike course was a nightmare. Several times I had to slow down to dodge people and that's just not fun.

Event comments:

We will not be going back to Buffalo. Even though it's a well-run race on a nice course, it's too crowded to be safe. I had a couple close calls, but Jeremy's accident was too much. We'll go somewhere else that weekend next year. If they change the course or lower the entry limit, I'll reconsider.

Last updated: 2010-03-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:40 | 1500 meters | 01m 59s / 100meters
Age Group: 8/11
Overall: 218/324
Performance: Good
Suit: Promotion full sleeve
Course: Some odd geometric shape around white swans and yellow duckies.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:04
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:21:49 | 24.85 miles | 18.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/11
Overall: 260/324
Avg HR- 152 Max HR- 170
Wind: Some
Course: Wandering course out in the country. Pretty nice roads once we got out of town.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:07:36 | 06.21 miles | 10m 53s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/11
Overall: 302/324
Avg HR- 160 Max HR- 175
Course: Out and back with an odd little spur about mid-way back. No shade. Hot.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2010-06-08 2:02 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: Buffalo Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2010-06-08 3:00 PM
in reply to: #2908789

User image

Subject: RE: Buffalo Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Nice job on the race!

I thought the race was way too crowded too. I don't think I'll be back either.

Sorry to hear about Jeremy - hope he heals quickly.
2010-06-08 3:10 PM

Extreme Veteran
Minneapolis
Awesome report!

I agree that it's a really well-done event, but it's getting wayyyy too big. 

It would be awesome to do the Oly and Sprint on separate days like St Croix Valley, or limit the field overall somehow (prolly not gonna happen, thanks to the almighty $)

I was 29 min in the swim too, but somehow managed to stay ahead of most of the bike gaggle buffoonery out there.  There were several times I just hammered all the way over to the left side of the road and stayed there passing packs - I got too tired of trying to pass & suck right, rinse, repeat over & over... 

The dismount coming into T2 was indeed a bottlenecked mess.

I had a great time and a pretty good race, but a smaller field woud've made much better.

Cheers, Chris
2010-06-08 6:59 PM

User image

Elite

It was great seeing you and Jeremy again.  I know I will not be back at Buffalo due to the unsafe bike conditions.  So sorry Jeremy had to pay for the overcrowded conditions.

2010-06-08 7:01 PM

User image

Master
Franklin, TN
Great race report!  I hope Jeremy heals up quickly!
2010-06-09 8:47 AM
in reply to: #2909561

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Oh wow, I was curious about what happening due to your earlier foreshadowing on Facebook.   I guess it's good it wasn't a total crash, but the broken hand sounds awful.  I can't imagine finishing the race like that.  Amazing what adrenaline can do.

Now you, young lady, had a great race!  Awesome swim especially and I am glad to hear that you were pain free!  Good job.

2010-06-09 11:54 AM

User image

Master
Dayton, Minnesota
Bronze member

What a great race!! Congratulations!

Not so great for poor Jeremy, though. So sorry to hear about his hand.

2010-06-15 11:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Wow! Nice swim!  You must have been one of the women who passed me toward the end of the run  Sorry to hear about your partner tho.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed