Columbia Triathlon Association
HOTF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 06m 26s
Overall Rank = 538/1059
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 49/83
Pre-race routine:

Cliff Bar and Free Wheaties Fuel, some gatorade pre-race. Setup transition. Wait in portopottie line, forever. Talk with Steve and Kim for a bit. Get volunteer to put my glasses on my bike. Lie in the shade and wait until wave is announced. No wetsuit made it easy.
Event warmup:

Walking around Transition.
Swim
  • 55m 33s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

I must have swam in a circle. My theory is the buoys were spot on for the first wave of pros, but then slowly drifted off course. So the later you went in the day, the longer the course got. Can't say it was the same for every body, but it sucks that the RD didn't recognize this is start extending the cutoff.
What would you do differently?:

Faster stroke rate, head down more, higher feet, better navigation.
Transition 1
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

Horrible. I haven't practiced flying mounts at all since I got my speed plays, the ~30 seconds they could save me aren't a concern right now. Maybe I should take a couple days and work on starting with the shoes on the bike because trying to get that first shoe clipped in is taking way too long. Forgot my number belt as well, still think that's a stupid rule, WTC.

remember number belt, shoes on bike. Could have saved ~1 minute here.
Bike
  • 2h 48m 29s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.94 mile/hr
Comments:

I don't ride flat roads a lot, so doing the long sustained efforts that are required for a race like Eagleman is different for me. I knew my pace would be somewhere around 20, thought it would be above rather than below, but I'll take it.

I think the bike course was mercifully cool and moderately windy. It wasn't ideal, but it could have been a lot worse. There were some good stretches of cloud cover while I was out there, and the winds were only right in my face for 5-10 miles.

Stray Observations: Bike aid stations are scary when there are people around that are simply not comfortable riding their bike.

Almost got into an argument with another rider, which is really sad, but here's the story. He was riding on the yellow line, and I was watching from a ways back, hoping he would move over. As soon as I figured he could here me, I shouted on your left and got on the horns to be prepared for whatever he might do. He looked back at me and didn't move. So I started to brake and said on your left again, he looked back again. By this time I had matched his speed and was well into his draft zone. There was plenty of room to his right, and no body in front of him, so I could have passed on the right. Instead, I told him, loudly so he could hear, ride to the right. He started to move to the right finally, but looked over at me as I passed and shouted "You !@##$ing ride to the right, why are you going to yell at me for riding in the right lane?" I just accelerated and left him to his ignorance.

Ride more flat with more speed intervals. More Heat acclimation
Transition 2
  • 02m 53s
Comments:

Don't know how this was longer than T1, something went wrong, don't remember exactly what. I started to run back towards the bike exit, but a helpful volunteer corrected that quickly, so that wasn't it.

Remember the layout of transition, socks and shoes on faster.
Run
  • 2h 16m 45s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Started off good, got a couple encouraging shouts in the first couple of miles, you know "good pace, 2162" "Looking relaxed, 2162." Kept me going. Then you turn onto the street that goes to the neighborhood that was never built, and you loose all of that support. For me, this led to some serious negative thoughts. "Why am I doing this." "What do you have to lose by walking." "You've got plenty of time to make it to the finish." "Just 2 miles to go (at mile 3)."

Eventually I conceded to the negative thoughts, and decided to run between aid stations and take my time getting replenished at the aid stations. But after the turn onto Horns Point, even that became difficult, as I started to feel an odd chest pain after running for 3-4 minutes. I would keep getting worse until I decided to walk, and it would go away within 10-20 seconds. My watch had died by this point, so no idea on what my HR was.

From that point the run became: run until my chest hurts, then walk until it doesn't, then run until the aid station, get ice, water, gatorade. Gu every 3 miles, chips and cookies when I felt like it. Eventually I made it back.

Train in the heat.
Post race
Warm down:

Water bottle shower on my arms and neck, it felt so good. and then fire hose shower for my legs. Went back to the finish line and started watching for other folks to finish. Saw Christy come in just as I was getting there. Sat in the shade for awhile. Eventually got my appetite back and hate some pasta salad and corn.

Had to chase down the RD to get my bike back because I was late getting back to transition... long story.

Sonic with the crew on the ride back, highlight of the trip.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

On this one, my tendency to train in the late evening or early morning, was probably number 1.

Number 2, and a close one, was my in ability to overcome negative thoughts. And this is a new one for me, I am usually the king of positive, or at least neutral thinking. Not here, not against truely trying conditions. It's good though, I'll be better prepared next time they come around.

Event comments:

Start was delayed 15 minutes.

A little sketchiness on the wetsuit, I didn't feel the water was that hot, and actually felt cold for most of the last leg. Although it the temperature was extremely variant.

Swim was long.

Also noticed that they announced the end of events while there was still people finishing, possibly after the cutoff. (Didn't notice a celebration or recognition of the final official finisher, either).

Last updated: 2009-08-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:55:33 | 1931 meters | 02m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 77/83
Overall: 878/1059
Performance: Average
Suit: None
Course: Clockwise rectangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:53
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
02:48:29 | 56 miles | 19.94 mile/hr
Age Group: 49/83
Overall: 571/1059
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Flat Loop with a short pigtail. Very little shelter, few sections with rough pavement.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:53
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:16:45 | 13.1 miles | 10m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 45/83
Overall: 496/1059
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat out and back, first half through neighborhoods along the water with good crowd support. Second half through hell, with no shade, no wind, and endless line of walking or shuffling zombies punctuated by cheerful anonymous hands offering wonderful elixirs and refrigerants.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-06-14 9:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alexandria, VA
Subject: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon

2010-06-14 9:54 PM
in reply to: #2921737

Jersey Shore
Subject: RE: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon
good race report and congrats on your finish!
2010-06-15 1:48 AM

User image

Ok, I may have had issues with the same guy. I got a penalty (warning stop) because I passed this dude on the right. He was riding for miles and miles on the yellow line and wouldn't move when one came up on him. He was a black dude in aerohelmet with thin legs but big arms. (Race has no issue in the matter, I am simply using his race to describe him.) Same guy?
2010-06-15 5:38 AM
in reply to: #2921984

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
Great race.  Good work on a miserable day.  Nice report.

Swim course was long for the pros too.  Terenzo swam 4 minutes slower than he did in any race in the past 2 years.  That would put the swim almost 400 meters long at his pace.  I swam it 7 minutes slower than expected.

The high temp was 97, with a heat index of 103 if you care.

I calculate that I "ran" only 6 miles of the 13.1.

Awesome job in miserable conditions.
2010-06-15 5:53 AM
in reply to: #2921984

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alexandria, VA
drghs3 - 2010-06-15 2:48 AM Ok, I may have had issues with the same guy. I got a penalty (warning stop) because I passed this dude on the right. He was riding for miles and miles on the yellow line and wouldn't move when one came up on him. He was a black dude in aerohelmet with thin legs but big arms. (Race has no issue in the matter, I am simply using his race to describe him.) Same guy?

Not the same guy, though the guy I had a run in with was also wearing an aerohelmet. I think he was on a yellow bike.
2010-06-15 6:50 AM
in reply to: #2922031

User image

Extreme Veteran
Carrollton, Virginia
Hmm.. I wonder if it was the same guy I got in a match with.

Yellow Cervelo P2k with a black aero helmet.

I was passing the slower bunch of the wave before me and this guy shows up out of nowhere riding on the yellow line, blocking me passing the next group unless I want to risk a DQ and go over the yellow.

I shout "on your left, passing"

Nothing

I shout "yellow bike, move over or speed up, I can't pass in the other lane"

Nothing

Eventually after about 2 minutes a gap opens up where I can pass right.  I pass right and look at him "Dude, you can't ride in this area unless you are passing, you NEED to move"

He replies

"Go ahead and pass me, I'll be on your tail the rest of the race"

WTF? 

2010-06-15 7:32 AM
in reply to: #2922088

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alexandria, VA
sdanaher - 2010-06-15 7:50 AM Hmm.. I wonder if it was the same guy I got in a match with.

Yellow Cervelo P2k with a black aero helmet.

I was passing the slower bunch of the wave before me and this guy shows up out of nowhere riding on the yellow line, blocking me passing the next group unless I want to risk a DQ and go over the yellow.

I shout "on your left, passing"

Nothing

I shout "yellow bike, move over or speed up, I can't pass in the other lane"

Nothing

Eventually after about 2 minutes a gap opens up where I can pass right.  I pass right and look at him "Dude, you can't ride in this area unless you are passing, you NEED to move"

He replies

"Go ahead and pass me, I'll be on your tail the rest of the race"

WTF? 

That was him. I wasn't certain it was a Cervelo, but you confirmed it. Passed him on Smithville, shortly after the little bridge with the pull off.
2010-06-15 7:37 AM

Pro
yep,
^^^^ stupid yellow biker.  Nice job out there.  Also thanks for the words of encouragement as you blew past me.  I was hurting big time! 

Awesome job on the race that day.
2010-06-15 8:06 AM

User image

Master
Fulton, MD
Nice job, Shane!  It was cool meeting you before and after the race - and I'll note that you left out the best part of the day, milkshakes at Sonic after the race!  Mmmm.....

This was definitely a hard day.  My time was about 30min slower than last year, yet I still finished in the same general spot in terms of finishers.  The heat was really killing everybody. 

Regarding the swim bouys, I'm not sure they were drifting, I just think they were setup wrong.  When Becky and I were checking the swim out the day before, we couldn't figure out why the final leg was angled the way it was in relation to the finish.  I think they just did a poor job with the course this year (I'm sure there was some drifting as well).

When you were describing your cycling buddy, I thought for sure it was the same guy I dealt with, but my "that guy" wasn't on a Cervelo (he was a team terrier with an aero helmet).  This guy rode in the left part of the lane for 30+ miles.  Every time he'd get passed, he apparently took it as a personal insult and tried to catch up to whoever passed him (which was me several times).  I thought it was just me, until a much faster cyclist called him an a$$hole.  That made me feel better. 

--Josh
2010-06-15 8:14 AM
in reply to: #2922249

User image

Champion
Charlottesville, Virginia

Nice job Shane, the weekend heat and humidity was brutal.  LOL, sounds like you guys all had some fun out there on the bike course ; )

2010-06-15 1:54 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Just as an FYI, I went off in wave 10 (I'm an old guy :-), and my Garmin 310XT in my swim cap said I swam 1.25 miles. I normally do the swim in 32-34 minutes. On this day, it took me 45! What a bummer that is. I checked out my line on google maps (in Sports Track), and I did not swim off course THAT much. It must have been the current. Some other chicas said their swim time was 10-12 minutes long. Great job out there!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed