General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water Kills! Can't swim the distance? Never swam in open water? Get the proper training! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
CLOSED

of 7

2010-06-28 4:46 PM
in reply to: #2948070

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Water Kills! Can't swim the distance? Never swam in open water? Get the proper training!
Leegoocrap - 2010-06-28 11:47 AM
In the swim, you are, generally speaking, a hazard only to yourself.

Absolutely not.

A panicking, unprepared swimmer is a hazard to everyone around them that they could grab and drag down, a hazard to the lifeguards that have to help them, and a hazard to someone else who could be having a genuine medical emergency that the now-distracted lifeguard cannot see because they're helping the panicking swimmer.

And (not directed at you, Leego, I just figured I'd post one reply) this thread isn't about elitism, or swim snobbishness. It's about telling people what they NEED to hear, not what they WANT to hear. The "beginner-friendly" aspect of this site sometimes gets in the way of that. Try posting some of these "can I make the swim?" questions over on ST and you'd get torn apart. Here you get a bunch of responses about holding onto kayaks etc.

Imagine announcing that you're going to run across Death Valley in the daytime with no hydration or nutrition, a 5k as your longest training run, and zero experience of training in the heat. People would tell you that you're crazy to even attempt it, but when questions about the swim come up, it's the opposite here. Why is that?

2010-06-28 4:55 PM
in reply to: #2947098

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Subject: RE: Water Kills! Can't swim the distance? Never swam in open water? Get the proper training!
Just out of curiosity...with the use of timing chips and mats....is there any reason to have even wave starts?

Woudn't it just be easier to have a streaming line of competitors entering the water so you would never have that chaos of large amounts of people at the same time?

The only thing this would eliminate is side by side finishes as it wouldn't matter....but it sure would make the swim a TON safer.....and not just from drownings..but getting punched and kicked and things like that.
2010-06-28 5:00 PM
in reply to: #2949179

User image

Master
Minnetonka, Minnesota
Bronze member
Fastyellow - 2010-06-28 4:55 PM Just out of curiosity...with the use of timing chips and mats....is there any reason to have even wave starts?

Woudn't it just be easier to have a streaming line of competitors entering the water so you would never have that chaos of large amounts of people at the same time?

The only thing this would eliminate is side by side finishes as it wouldn't matter....but it sure would make the swim a TON safer.....and not just from drownings..but getting punched and kicked and things like that.

They have those - they are called Time Trial starts.  I have done one Tri with that format and liked it.  Swimmers entered the water every 3 seconds.  Downside is  you aren't racing with your AG competition (unless they organized the start numbers by age group, but that would be tough with last-minute registration, etc.) and I think the start might stretch out kinda long for large races (i.e. 50 minutes for 1000 racers).

Edited by ejshowers 2010-06-28 5:04 PM
2010-06-28 5:13 PM
in reply to: #2949189

User image

Champion
Northridge, California
ejshowers - 2010-06-28 3:00 PM
Fastyellow - 2010-06-28 4:55 PM Just out of curiosity...with the use of timing chips and mats....is there any reason to have even wave starts?

They have those - they are called Time Trial starts.  I have done one Tri with that format and liked it.  Swimmers entered the water every 3 seconds.  Downside is  you aren't racing with your AG competition (unless they organized the start numbers by age group, but that would be tough with last-minute registration, etc.) and I think the start might stretch out kinda long for large races (i.e. 50 minutes for 1000 racers).

They manage it for IM Louisville.

And, come to think of it, Escape from Alcatraz has a version of a TT start.

The mass/wave start for tri's is as much cultural as necessary (if it's really necessary at all).  A lot of people are--IMO--into the contact at the swim start in the same way they might be into mixing it up in the lane in a pickup basketball game rather than shooting 3-pointers.

(Personally, I'm more of a jump shooter than a power forward...)
2010-06-28 5:18 PM

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
I was gonna say there would probably be a cultural back lash...

It doesn't need to be 3 seconds...you could just have everyone go in a steady stream...the timing mats can handle it....!!
2010-06-28 5:29 PM
in reply to: #2949189

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
ejshowers - 2010-06-28 3:00 PM

Rattlesnake in Colorado does this start as well. I like it as it spreads the competitors out, the bad thing is that it is self seeded, so you get a lot of bad seedings, and you are still swimming through a steady crowd. (Rattlesnake is a loop course, out and back to beach, then out and back to different section of beach, which makes it REALLY a mess on the second lap.)

Every start has its disadvantages.

John

2010-06-28 5:37 PM

User image

Pro
Camp Hill, Pennsylvania
Spirit of Morgantown did a wave start off the end of a dock last year.  You lined up on the dock with your wave, and crossed a timing mat at the end of the dock as you entered the water.  It seemed like a good compromise between controlling the chaos of the start and still providing a racing experience.  People could enter the water 2 or 3 at a time, but no one was in a huge hurry, because your time didn't start until you crossed the mat.
2010-06-28 5:38 PM
in reply to: #2949263

User image

Champion
PA
TriMyBest - 2010-06-28 6:37 PM Spirit of Morgantown did a wave start off the end of a dock last year.  You lined up on the dock with your wave, and crossed a timing mat at the end of the dock as you entered the water.  It seemed like a good compromise between controlling the chaos of the start and still providing a racing experience.  People could enter the water 2 or 3 at a time, but no one was in a huge hurry, because your time didn't start until you crossed the mat.

That sounds like the optimal idea IMO.  It would thin things out, make it more safe, and allow the safety crew to keep an eye on things easier. 
2010-06-28 5:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Puerto Aventuras
I did a 5k swim last weekend... funny enough at around the 700 m mark I started getting uneasy and almost had a panic attack. I had some problems with my goggles, and my cap, and the swim was on fresh water, so floated less, but to be honest I have no idea why that happened. I did some breast strokes and actually looked around to find a kayak, then I saw a guy with a loose chip and caught up to him to let him know and then saw another friend and stayed with him until I got my rhythm.  The rest of the comp went pretty well... long and tiring but fun.

Definitively have to respect the water and better to be over trained than under-trained here.

Safe swims to all!!!  Cool
2010-06-28 6:06 PM
in reply to: #2949065

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
crazyalaskian - 2010-06-28 3:59 PM

It has already been mentioned but I do feel that the OP was a little alarmist.  I don't think you HAVE to swim the distance before hand but I think you should and in either case, you should be able float on your back/tread water if you need to at any point.  I also don't think you HAVE to do an OWS before hand but I absolutely think you should. 

Race day will always be a different story but my advice to beginners has always been to focus on preparing themselves properly for the swim, then the bike and then the run.  You can hop off the bike and you can walk on the run which is NO BIG DEAL on your first triathlon since the first one is just about the experience and not your finish time.  But there really is nothing comparable to swimming in a triathlon. 

Every single person, whether experienced or a novice, needs to have a healthly respect for water and the dangers associated with it. 

But, back to the OP.  I kayaked in a women's only tri yesterday and was astounded at the number of people being pulled out and I saw at least 5 pulled out within the first 25 yards (and along the shore too).  Way too many people clearly were not prepared.  But, I also saw a woman (the last one out) who could not have swum that distance in a pool and certainly couldn't do it freestyle but was able to slowly but surely to double-armed backstroke the whole way (not sure why double-armed backstroke).  She is an example of how people do not HAVE to do the distance in the pool or an OWS as a prerequisite but absolutely have to have some kind of plan B for when they get tired (or freak out) and need to conserve energy.  The scariest people are those who only know how to crawl and have no plan B.

And not to drag on longer, but my statement above does not apply to an ocean swim.  The ocean scares the crap out of me and is a whole different ballgame for even a very strong swimmer....so overprepare for that one and know what to do if you ever get caught in a rip tide.

Was I alarmist? Yes. Of course I was. Some people need "shock" to pull their heads out of their @. No disrespect to you, but I have been on this site for years, and have made 1,000's of posts... maybe you have too, but you don't post much? But I see thread after thread after thread of someone asking if they should do a tri if they can't swim... etc. And yeah, it worries me. Then I see people post up about deaths at tri's and that horrifies me.

All right, I bolded what I have issue with above... WOW. Telling someone they don't need to be able to swim the distance AND they DO NOT have to swim in open water BEFORE a race... is absolutely horrible advice.

Mind you, OWS is different from pool swims. At least in a pool swim there is a shallow end, a lane rope and a wall. And why is a lake safe but an ocean is not? Yes, a lake is a little bit easier, but it still needs to be respected.

Here in Texas, we have a lot of people who fall off boats, and drown. To have 2-4 deaths a month is not uncommon. Yep, deaths in lakes.

So when I see someone saying they can't swim the distance... and they haven't been a lake... I say, "Get some lessons and be prepared... TRAIN." I am not saying not to try to prepare themselves, but yes, they NEED TO TRAIN FOR IT. And that means SWIMMING THE DISTANCE and doing it in OPEN WATER.

A lot of people have weird panic attacks in open water. Something they don't know they have until they get in and BAM! they are panicked. So it is really wise to have your first OWS on RACE DAY? Probably not.

I do agree that being able to tread water and float on one's back are skills that everyone needs. This should be practiced in training.

2010-06-28 6:28 PM
in reply to: #2949116

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
crazyalaskian - 2010-06-28 4:20 PM
gobey007 - 2010-06-28 5:09 PM

The kayak to kayak bothers me, I thought you got DQ'd if you accepted help?? Or do they just swim up to the kayak and then move along if able.

A "sanctioned" kayak is not outside help so you can use it without being disqualified but if you make any forward progress with the assistance of the kayak (i.e. they paddle, or you pull yourself along the boat) you will be disqualified.

Some races will DQ you even with a sanctioned kayak, most will not.  Either way, if you're swimming kayak-to-kayak, you risk one of the guards pulling you out of the race in which case you're done! 

As to the OP (and for any novices watching)...if you're not confident in your ability to keep yourself safe in the water for the duration of the swim, don't get in the water!!  Look at it this way...you're one of 100+ swimmers that the lifeguards are trying to watch...you do the math as to whether they're actually watching you at the moment you need help... (yea, it's a little better than the raw 1:100, because they'll be keeping a closer eye on people who struggle...but you could be one of 10 struggling swimmers, so the odds still aren't good enough for me to bet my life on). 

Swim kayak-to-kayak?  Risky, and puts other competitors (suffering an unexpected setback) at risk. 

Wetsuit?  They'll provide enough bouyancy to keep you reasonably safe and it's hard to get separated from one, so it's a personal preference. 

Breastroke?  Not a problem (really) in spite of other's not liking it.  Sidestroke?  Backstroke (hard to sight)?  Dog paddle?  Sure, sure, sure, as long as you're confident about your safety. 

OWS "certification" or competence?  Will certainly be hard to manage.  What would be considered acceptable?  <1 month between race and certification?  <1 year?  Distance?  I did my first tri with no real OWS experience and in fact I hadn't swam laps in a pool more than twice in the previous year, but I knew what I needed to do to be safe in the water (former lifeguard).   I didn't have access to a place to practice OWS, so I would not have signed up for that first race had this been a requirement. 

2010-06-28 6:30 PM
in reply to: #2948247

User image

Veteran
brycoy - 2010-06-28 12:44 PM darwin-ism...

i've done ows's several times and have never been nervous till reading this, lol.  Just sitting at my desk at work reading this thread makes me 2nd guess myself...i'm a supporter of being prepared and safety first, but i think this will spook some noobies off for sure.  it's like in Finding Nemo: "just keep swimming, just keep swimming" lol

I'm with you!!  I'm one of those newbies.  Two months ago, I was terrified of the water.  Last week, I swam 800m straight in the pool and felt great!  This weekend I tried my first OWS since I was 12!!  Amazingly, I LOVED the OWS.  Am I completely ready for the Sprint I signed up for on July 31st?  Nope!!!  However, I will be in the pool and the river almost every day between now and then.  Will this be enough?  Who knows?

I understand the OP's point, but if I allow the "fear" to take over again, I will never be able to do a triathlon.  Until I actually finish one, I'll never know if I'm truly ready.  I can swim all day in the river, but it still won't compare to the adrenaline filled rush of an actual race.   I hope I don't become a kayak to kayak kind of person, but I can't guarantee the old fears won't pop up that day!!  However, you don't have to worry about me doing the dreaded backstroke since I only know two strokes...the front crawl and the elementary back stroke!!  

2010-06-28 9:32 PM
in reply to: #2949315

User image

Expert
KSH - 2010-06-28 7:06 PM
Was I alarmist? Yes. Of course I was. Some people need "shock" to pull their heads out of their @. No disrespect to you, but I have been on this site for years, and have made 1,000's of posts... maybe you have too, but you don't post much? But I see thread after thread after thread of someone asking if they should do a tri if they can't swim... etc. And yeah, it worries me. Then I see people post up about deaths at tri's and that horrifies me. All right, I bolded what I have issue with above... WOW. Telling someone they don't need to be able to swim the distance AND they DO NOT have to swim in open water BEFORE a race... is absolutely horrible advice. Mind you, OWS is different from pool swims. At least in a pool swim there is a shallow end, a lane rope and a wall. And why is a lake safe but an ocean is not? Yes, a lake is a little bit easier, but it still needs to be respected. Here in Texas, we have a lot of people who fall off boats, and drown. To have 2-4 deaths a month is not uncommon. Yep, deaths in lakes. So when I see someone saying they can't swim the distance... and they haven't been a lake... I say, "Get some lessons and be prepared... TRAIN." I am not saying not to try to prepare themselves, but yes, they NEED TO TRAIN FOR IT. And that means SWIMMING THE DISTANCE and doing it in OPEN WATER. A lot of people have weird panic attacks in open water. Something they don't know they have until they get in and BAM! they are panicked. So it is really wise to have your first OWS on RACE DAY? Probably not. I do agree that being able to tread water and float on one's back are skills that everyone needs. This should be practiced in training.

Fair enough.  To clarify, I have never told anyone not to swim the distance before hand or to not get in an OWS.  The point was that if they have been swimming (but not necessarily the entire distance) and have basic open water survival skills, they can probably get through the swim.  Like I also said, they should do both prior to the event.  Actually, my recommendation for people to swim the distance before hand is more geared towards the mental side.  Knowing they CAN do it is often enough to help alleviate the anxiety that comes with a tri swim.

My fear with the ocean is the currents, unpredictable waves and salt water (which is a lot more dangerous when swallowed in large quantities).  A lake is a more controlled environment, but obviously still less so than a pool.   

I'm not an expert.  I'm not a coach.  I've just managed to drag a lot of people into tri's since I believe that they are awesome and people will fall in love with them once they experience one.  And while I've "nudged" people to try a tri who are a little hesitant, I've never downplayed the swim.  I just felt the need to defend people who never swim 800 yds (or whatever the particular distance is) straight in a pool because they can't handle the monotony or who never have an opportunity to do an OWS before a race because they don't have people to swim with.  Respect the water and always have a Plan B (or C or D). 
2010-06-28 9:49 PM
in reply to: #2949166

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
WelshinPhilly - 2010-06-28 4:46 PM

Absolutely not.

A panicking, unprepared swimmer is a hazard to everyone around them that they could grab and drag down, a hazard to the lifeguards that have to help them, and a hazard to someone else who could be having a genuine medical emergency that the now-distracted lifeguard cannot see because they're helping the panicking swimmer.

And (not directed at you, Leego, I just figured I'd post one reply) this thread isn't about elitism, or swim snobbishness. It's about telling people what they NEED to hear, not what they WANT to hear. The "beginner-friendly" aspect of this site sometimes gets in the way of that. Try posting some of these "can I make the swim?" questions over on ST and you'd get torn apart. Here you get a bunch of responses about holding onto kayaks etc.

Imagine announcing that you're going to run across Death Valley in the daytime with no hydration or nutrition, a 5k as your longest training run, and zero experience of training in the heat. People would tell you that you're crazy to even attempt it, but when questions about the swim come up, it's the opposite here. Why is that?

Thank you for this. An unsafe swimmer IS a hazard to others around him/her.

2010-06-28 10:02 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
EDIT.

Edited by KSH 2010-06-28 10:02 PM
2010-06-28 10:26 PM

User image

Expert
Marin County, California
X however many....great post.

2010-06-28 10:54 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
How about a policy that anyone that hasn't done a OWS Tri be put in a special beginner swimmers wave, and that wave is done LAST so that the staff can give them almost full attention.

Not so practical, but better than some other suggestions I think.

-eric 
2010-06-29 1:52 AM

User image

Veteran

Thank you for the advice on the swim safe belt.  That's a valuable piece of information that everyone should know when making their own informed decisions about whether or not to participate in an event.

But otherwise, you're not my mother, so stop trying to act like it.  We're all adults here, and we should be able to make our own informed decisions.

Walking down the street KILLS.  There is risk in each and everything thing that we do.  And I for one and tired of god d*mned nanny laws where people like you tell me how I must live my life.

*done venting*

I've done a number of open water swims (quite some time ago) when I was totally inadequately prepared, and side stroked through much of them.  I also walked solo through super remote tribal regions in Africa.  I'm not dead. 

So, stop trying to SCARE MONGER.  There is already enough fear in our society.  Instead simply help people make informed decisions about the real risks.

If someone is unprepared, what is the chance  that they'll die?

1 in 100?  1 in 1,000?  1 in 10,000?  1 in 100,000?  1 in 1,000,000?  1 in 10,000,000? 1 in 100,000,000?

Edited by mrcurtain 2010-06-29 1:54 AM
2010-06-29 2:00 AM

User image

Veteran
WelshinPhilly - Imagine announcing that you're going to run across Death Valley in the daytime with no hydration or nutrition, a 5k as your longest training run, and zero experience of training in the heat. People would tell you that you're crazy to even attempt it, but when questions about the swim come up, it's the opposite here. Why is that?

Because if you head out into death valley mid summer without any water, then the chances of you dying are about 50/50.

But if you're inadequately prepared for a swim such that you'll have to resort to side stroke for sum of it, the chances of you dying about less than 1 in a million.

Is there a better chance of you dying in a OWS, or you winning the lottery?

See the difference.

So advocate that people be aware of the risks.  But please stop the fear mongering.  And let people make their own informed decisions. 
2010-06-29 4:35 AM
in reply to: #2949975

Yea I sucked at my first swim.  So I entered Duathlon.  I've been praticing
2010-06-29 5:11 AM
in reply to: #2949877

User image

Veteran
faded_memories - 2010-06-28 11:54 PM How about a policy that anyone that hasn't done a OWS Tri be put in a special beginner swimmers wave, and that wave is done LAST so that the staff can give them almost full attention.

Not so practical, but better than some other suggestions I think.

-eric 

They had this at my first triathlon - 2008 NJ State Sprint.  There were actually 2 waves of first timers because there were so many of us... and, unfortunately, a man still died in the water. We did not go last though - maybe that could have helped significantly.

2010-06-29 6:37 AM
in reply to: #2949974

User image

Pro
MA
mrcurtain - 2010-06-29 2:52 AM
Thank you for the advice on the swim safe belt.  That's a valuable piece of information that everyone should know when making their own informed decisions about whether or not to participate in an event.

But otherwise, you're not my mother, so stop trying to act like it.  We're all adults here, and we should be able to make our own informed decisions.

Walking down the street KILLS.  There is risk in each and everything thing that we do.  And I for one and tired of god d*mned nanny laws where people like you tell me how I must live my life.

I like that attitude.  Thats how I see things, too. 
Only under one condition - as long as you don't AFFECT OTHERS.  If you want to have the freedom to do whatever you like, you gotta take some responsibilities, too.  

Once during a race someone grabbed on my arm/shoulder, pulling me under water.  Got back to the surface and "dude! WTF?" and he was like "sorry, I was choking and need a breathe".  Good thing is inhaling water while totally submerge doesn't bother me too much.

If I have it my way, instead of a mandatory OWS test, I would ask people to sign a form, if someone entered the race unprepared, is sole responsible for their action and should something happen to him/her their family/friends/loved ones will not sue the organizer. 
This actually falls under the "not affecting others" category. 

It's like the NH moto:  Live free, or die. 

Edited by D.K. 2010-06-29 6:41 AM
2010-06-29 6:48 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
WelshinPhilly - 2010-06-28 5:46 PM

Absolutely not.

I admit I wasn't quite clear in my post... as it was more of a comparison to the bike than a generalization... When I said "Generally" it was taking into account that a poor swimmer would be quite a bit less of a hazard to most people in a tri as they are not likely to be with a mass of people (in a mass start) because they will not be moving forward with the group, Compared to how many *strong* swimmers get out on the bike course and then swerve around (watching a triathlete try to take a drink of water...especially off the back of their bike or something similar), draft each other, blatantly disobey rules clearly put out by USAT and race directors, etc.... it is much more dangerous.

Think of it this way...
A strong (or even competent) swimmer will likely NEVER even hear about a poor swimmer until well after the race is over.
Many bike courses however intersect each other or are laps... even at your fastest you can't get away from a poor and dangerous cyclist.

Again, I never said swimming wasn't dangerous... just that if you planned to make somebody *qualify* to do something in a tri, it should be to handle the object that makes them a 15-40mph hazard.
2010-06-29 7:10 AM

User image

Master
Centennial, CO

Interesting read.  I'm torn on some of the harshness of this thread.  I am not a great swimmer.  in fact when I started tris 6 years ago I didn't know how to swim.  I have become a very competent swimmer, but still don't see myself as strong on the swim.  I do well in pool swims, and have done many OWS both in training and races.  Every time I do mass starts, I get freaked out.  And have looked at kayaks but never used one.  Eventually my HR goes down and I am fine.  I never freakout when OWS training unless the weather gets bad.

So where do I fit in this discussion?  Seems the person that died had done several triathlons so wasn't a newbie.  I've even competed in USAT AG Nationals, but still get nervous in mass starts.  Don't think any amount of practice will cure me of this.  So if my heart goes, is it the water's fault?

Sorry, but I think that beginners should be able to swim the distance, but everyone is taking their own risk.  No one here has a right to tell someone they can't do it, because we don't really know until they try.  In the end the individual will sink or swim, and in reality very few sink...

Many people die in water related accidents, bike accidents, running incident.  This doesn't make them dangerous.  Reality is people die in accidents every day.  And by getting out of bed you take that risk. 

Sorry for the long post, but I am conflicted.  We're talking about certification, special waves, etc., but how do we handle the person who dies from a heart attack while eating a steak?  Should we have special dining areas for people who look like they might have a coronary?  Life and Death and Perspective on accountability.  Food for thought.

2010-06-29 7:43 AM

User image

Veteran
Trois-Rivières,Quebec,Canada
Excelent post. I did exactly what you said. I did my first sprint and never use a wet suit in OW before the race. It was amazing. It was so hard. I finish it because I'm not a bad swimmer and I use often wetsuit for scuba diving, I'm scuba diving instructor, so it help me to not panic in OW because I dive a lot in current and hard situation. But anyway it was realy hard. Now I try to train more in OW with my wetsuit for my next race july 25. Same as you said it could be really dangerous to swimm in a wetsuit without experience with it. It's realy different than swimm suit. It's hard to bread in a wet so take care.
New Thread
CLOSED
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Water Kills! Can't swim the distance? Never swam in open water? Get the proper training! Rss Feed  

of 7