General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you surround yourself with fit people? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-06-30 1:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Philly Outsider
Subject: Do you surround yourself with fit people?

Sure, by the nature of working out so much, it’s likely that you spend a lot of time with swim/bike/run folks. But what about in your social life? Are your friends generally fit?

I like to think I’m a fairly open-minded person. I’m a political moderate and non-religious, and can’t be around extremely religious or political people.  It occurs to me that I’m roughly the same with regards to health.  I have a few very obese/sedentary friends (just like I have a couple bible-beater, right wing nuts in my stable as well.*)  But the majority of my friends tend to be active at least a little health conscious.

The question stems from the ‘couch will kill you!’ thread where a few people commented on how their family or co-workers actually begrudge their fitness lifestyle and activities.  This seems weird, but also makes a perverse sense.

*I take no offense, and mean none in return wrt religion. As long as you don't insist your beliefs are right and mine are wrong/evil, we'll get along just fine.

Edited by Apotheosis 2010-06-30 1:49 PM

2010-06-30 1:53 PM
in reply to: #2953713

User image

Master
Westlake Village , Ca.
Subject: RE: Do you surround yourself with fit people?
I tend to surround myself with people of common interests....ever since I was 10 years old, I have been involved in pretty active hobbies that didn't lend themselves to out of shape people.

The only time in my life that I was around seriously out of shape people was when I played poker very seriously. But after a while I couldn't take the lifestyle....It was horrendous.

I never think about it, but I guess it just works out that way.
2010-06-30 1:53 PM

User image

Champion
for the most part yes, but almost 100% of this is due to the nature of where i work and meet people.

i coach rowing at a boathouse with some of the top athletes in the country, and through my training/racing run into a lot more like minded people.
2010-06-30 1:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
great question. My friends sort of surround me and I them- I didn't make an adult choice as I still hang around with my friends from elementary school, more coincidence than anything. We all competed in sports up until careers kind of took over, we all put on a bit of weight as we built our careers and family (well, not me for the latter!)  and then as careers and family life stabilized we all got back into fitness somehow. Although we live in different places we get together twice a year on vacation and often meet up at holidays in our home town.

For work, well, I don't pick staff based on their fitness as I have worked with many very competent folk who are out of shape and share differing philosophies of life.

Edited by blairrob 2010-06-30 2:00 PM
2010-06-30 2:01 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
The question stems from the ‘couch will kill you!’ thread where a few people commented on how their family or co-workers actually begrudge their fitness lifestyle and activities.  This seems weird, but also makes a perverse sense.

I've felt all along that this is why we get no room/respect on the road - running and cycling.

Edited by nc452010 2010-06-30 2:01 PM
2010-06-30 2:03 PM

Extreme Veteran
Washington, Utah

Most of my family and friends are extrememly supportive of my getting into Tri's and a lot of them are avid runners and marathon participants.  I do however have a group of local friends, mostly from college, who I have had to distance myself from since I started training.  I was getting made fun of for the amount of time I was spending at the Y or if I ordered something healthy off the menu when we went out to eat.  The same thing happened when I quit smoking and cut way back on my drinking.  I actually had a 'friend' who told me I was stupid for working so hard when I could just go to the Dr. and get a prescription for diet pills like she did.  (Don't even get me started on that last one).

I guess to answer your question, yes, now I surround myself with mostly active people.  And those who may not be active, are atleast positive and supportive.

2010-06-30 2:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Husk, NC
Never really thought about it until now.  Yea,  fit people seem to have more energy and enjoy the outdoor activities that my wife and I do.  I also think of them in a more positive manner, so I enjoy their company more.   Most of my older friends are completely out of shape and drink too much.  We don't hang with them that often anymore.
2010-06-30 2:17 PM

User image

Veteran
I have several different circles of friends.  My "sedentary mommy friends" are women I knew before I lost weight and got into tris.  They aren't active, claim that they have no time to exercise and eat right because of their children and generally think I am the crazy one.  While they do give out praise for the changes I have made in my life over the past two years, I often hear negative comments mixed in.  I tend to see this group of friends once or twice a month and that is plenty for me since I find that we have less and less in common.

My other group of friends are moms that I have met training for tris and this is a group where I feel way more at home.  These women have found the balance in their lives to incorporate being active and healthy and are good role models for their children.  Some of them are really, really fit, winning races and are an inspiration to me.  I see many of them several times a week training and racing together (even off season).  We also do social things and I love that nobody judges me for declining a glass of wine or some other goody I need to avoid.  We have a common goal in life and so much in common in so many ways and they are the friends that I see having for years and years.
2010-06-30 2:18 PM

User image

Elite
This is an interesting question for me.  I live in a very small town and have become known as "The Fit Girl".  As a result I've had other teachers come to me for running advice.  I even started a group called the Hill Hussies and every Wednesday after school I kick their butts up and down hill repeats.  They hate me during it, but love me after it!  On the other hand, I have friends who are both obese, or if not yet obese on their way and very sedentary.  I don't understand how they go about their day, but it's their choice.  So, to answer the question...fit people have more surrounded me--or people wanting to get fit.  I just do what I do and people see me as a motivator--from my 8th graders up to fellow teachers.  It's kind of cool.  Cool
2010-06-30 2:24 PM

User image

Expert
Ft Gordon, GA
Yeah, I find that my wife and I hang out mostly with active, positive people.

When we go to a social event we gravitate toward those types and talk to them more than the ones who seem to be complaining about everything.

It is not so much a conscious decision as it is more of a situation that when we get home we both realize that we enjoyed being with person X or Y (the positve attitude/mtoivated/healthy types) as opposed to person Z or W (the ones where we could not wait to get away from them b/c they were so negative).

Maybe I am not a really nice guy but I cannot STAND to be around negative people. I just go crazy and have to leave. I understand that some people are truly depressed but I just want to grab the negative people and tell them to get a life and do soemthing about their problems!

Yeah, probably a good thing I did not go into psychiatry
2010-06-30 2:25 PM
in reply to: #2953746

User image

Elite
Miami
nc452010 - 2010-06-30 2:01 PM The question stems from the ‘couch will kill you!’ thread where a few people commented on how their family or co-workers actually begrudge their fitness lifestyle and activities.  This seems weird, but also makes a perverse sense.

I've felt all along that this is why we get no room/respect on the road - running and cycling.

i agree with this.  altghough i do feel its 50 / 50, i find some co-workers have no respect, think the racing is silly, and why do it.

some have imense respect.  in the end i am doing it for myself.  atlhough i do find it hard at times when training for longer races and i rather not mention it at work.  that does get to me.  my boss is very critical of it, thinks the sport is lame and to do the race simply takes some time and you really have to be bored to train for say 70.3 or 146.

so in the end i try to get involved with friends that are into cycling and triathlons.

2010-06-30 2:32 PM
in reply to: #2953817

User image

Athens
nerak11 - 2010-06-30 3:17 PM I have several different circles of friends.  My "sedentary mommy friends" are women I knew before I lost weight and got into tris.  They aren't active, claim that they have no time to exercise and eat right because of their children and generally think I am the crazy one.

I know what you mean.  I regularly get the "how do you find the time for it all?" question from people who spend several hours a day sitting watching TV, or in some cases working extra hours to fund an acquisitiveness that doesn't seem to bring them any real fulfillment.  Nobody wants to hear an actual answer of course.

I have friends all across the board.  I generally associate with people who are passionate about *something*, but it's not often fitness.  A lot of my friends are outright hedonists, actually.  I'm conditionally nonjudgmental, in that I don't think any less of someone for being a complete couch potato so long as they aren't whining about the outcome.  And while they may not be the best of influences, they all accept fitness as one of my passions.
2010-06-30 2:33 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
Kinda by default.

The closest thing I have to regular friends right now are people I play poker with and ride with.  I don't have people I just hang out with.

So 50/50?  Bike riders, mostly fit group.  Poker players not so much. (Or maybe, but I doubt it for most of them.)

I might go to a concert with a high school buddy once or twice a year, but really not hanging out with people much at all.  Maybe what others would call friends I think of as acquaintances?

Perhaps people want to spend time with others like themselves and I am such a weirdo that the search is futile.

-eric
2010-06-30 2:36 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
before I had kids I would say yes.  now not so much.  I still have friends that are fit but have found that many of my kids friends have parents that are not.  we always get to know the parents of our children's friends.  our social life revolves alot around our kids. friends I have from biking and running, etc come after that. 
2010-06-30 2:40 PM
in reply to: #2953835

User image

Extreme Veteran
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Karl Hungus - 2010-06-30 4:24 PM  I understand that some people are truly depressed but I just want to grab the negative people and tell them to get a life and do soemthing about their problems! Yeah, probably a good thing I did not go into psychiatry

Well if you did you could hang out with Gearboy at conferences and stuff and he seems like a good guy, you know, for a psychiatrist.

I'm not sure that required the sarc font.
2010-06-30 2:49 PM

User image

Expert
It really varies from friend to friend, I have a very close friend who makes fun of me and wonders why i want to go race with alot of people who are going to be throwing up (everyone assumes people just throw up constantly during these races). Another thinks my efforts are misdirected because I should have continued weight lifting. I have 1 friend who actually runs races and has matched my race calendar. The rest seem to be so disconnected from the knowledge of what im actually doing that they cannot form an opinion on it.

My family is extremely supportive, and usually tell me not to do things because they want to make sure ive trained enough!!!! My mom and dad run 4x a week at the age of 60. And my brother swims 5x a week.

2010-06-30 3:08 PM

User image

New user
I surround my self with fit people because they are the ones who enjoy the same activities.  Most of my family is not fit, they are healthy, but not what i could call "fit".  They are all very supportive.  I tell them how far i run because i think of family is on the same team.

Coworkers can be tricky.  I know a lot of people who don't like fit people because they feel like they are imposing their way of life.  With my coworkers, i always say that i run, but never tell them how far unless they ask.  nutrition always seems to come up in the workplace.  This is our time to share our knowledge if we would like to.  But, i never tell people what they should or shouldn't eat.  

Don't go too far through and eat badly just because you're with coworkers.  I ate a taco salad for lunch today and am feeling horrible.  
2010-06-30 3:19 PM
in reply to: #2953817

User image

Expert
Las Vegas, NV
nerak11 - 2010-06-30 2:17 PM I have several different circles of friends.  My "sedentary mommy friends" are women I knew before I lost weight and got into tris.  They aren't active, claim that they have no time to exercise and eat right because of their children and generally think I am the crazy one.  While they do give out praise for the changes I have made in my life over the past two years, I often hear negative comments mixed in.  I tend to see this group of friends once or twice a month and that is plenty for me since I find that we have less and less in common.

My other group of friends are moms that I have met training for tris and this is a group where I feel way more at home.  These women have found the balance in their lives to incorporate being active and healthy and are good role models for their children.  Some of them are really, really fit, winning races and are an inspiration to me.  I see many of them several times a week training and racing together (even off season).  We also do social things and I love that nobody judges me for declining a glass of wine or some other goody I need to avoid.  We have a common goal in life and so much in common in so many ways and they are the friends that I see having for years and years.

Wow. 2nd post today from you that I can relate to. I have one really good "mom" friend who is my running partner and I would love to have more active friends like her (moms or not). But I have begun to distance myself a little from the 1st group you were talking about. Even in other areas of life, these moms just seemed to complain non-stop about everything and why they couldn't change it. I wanted to be surrounded by more positive, proactive people. Glad I've found some on BT.
2010-06-30 4:01 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

Interesting topic.

I'm 57 and most of my social and work friends are 5-10 years older and with one notable exception ( a 62 YO marathoner) all are relatively sedentary.  So, no, I don't normally hang out with fit people. 

I usually train on my own, so I don't regularly hang out with other triathletes, except at races or tri club meetings.  Ironically, when I do socialize with other triathletes, I'm the old guy.

To the OP's comment about the religious aspect, I met most of my "social" friends through my church.  Of course Presbyterians are pretty laid-back and open-minded about our beliefs.  I think it has to do with our Scottish heritage and leading by example and not by words.  In other words, we're not very preachy about our beliefs.   

Mark

2010-06-30 4:17 PM

Master
Ironically, no. When I'm in season, I'm pretty serious about training, but I work in the busy portion of the medical field where working around regularly is a rarity. Most of my colleagues think I'm nuts to even train more than an hour a day, so tritalk gets scarce. 

Fortunately, there are a bunch of excellent group rides and trigroups around here for some epic adventures. 
2010-06-30 4:24 PM

User image

I spend lots of time with fit people because I spend lots of time training.

The time I spend with my closest friends is still very important to me.  They understand me, we have the best laughs, and the most fun.

I know I have cracked a few jokes during my group rides and got funny looks.  I make the same jokes or comments with my friends and we're on the ground crying.

2010-06-30 4:30 PM
in reply to: #2954204

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

The ratio has changed for me.  I still have the same regular friends (who very much support me, thankfully) but I have added many more new friends due to my lifestyle.   I might meet a friend of a friend, and find they like to ride bikes.  We exchange info and eventually contact each other to go for a ride, and sometimes it sticks.  

Occasionally an old friend gets interested in fit stuff and comes to me for advice, although just as often they do not for fear of not living up to their expectations of my expectations...    That's always too bad.

But I definitely have plenty of friends who aren't very fit, not to mention my family.    We just find other ways to have fun.

2010-06-30 4:34 PM

User image

Master
Oceanside, California
I used to in College and Grad School. 
I moved to a crappy part of L.A. not knowing anyone and like-minded people (in any dimension) has been hard to find.
2010-06-30 4:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

If a person is fit or not has effect if I am friends with them. If they are fun to be with and dependable if far more important.

remember no matter how fit you are someone will look at you and say "boy they are out of shape compared to me"

2010-06-30 5:38 PM

User image

Master
PNW
This is a very convoluted situation for me.

When I lived in FL, most of my friends were totally unfit.  That's pretty funny considering that down there, you are 'exposed' so much of the year.  When I was going through my 'super fit' stage, they mocked me - they worried about me - they talked about me behind my back (in concern) - mostly, they didn't 'get' me and they still kind of don't.

Then I moved to NC and started cycling.  Most of my local friends were fit.  In fact, a surprizingly large number of the people I worked with were also fit.  Being a endurance athlete was the 'thing' there (or so it seemed!).

Then I moved to Oregon.  I spent the first years here trying to establish a small sustainable farm while working 40+ hours a week and I totally let my health go.  I gained a bunch of weight and while I was still cycling, I really sucked at it.  Eventually, I began making friends again and for whatever reason, I happened to befriend fit people.  I was all of a sudden in a situation I'd never been in before. I was the fat, out-of-shape, non-athletic friend (as far as they knew).  I was mortified! I'd always been the athletic one and now here I was...the fat one.  It's why I'm here on BT, actually.  One of my fit friends talked me into signing up for my first tri (last May) and got me hooked.  Now, besides personal goals, I have lots of goals that center on 'proving' myself again.  I don't like being known as the weakest link...at all.

Luckily, I'm finally starting to fit in with my fit friends and it's so freaking wonderful that I can't even explain it.  It's one thing to be super fit amongst couch potatoes...it's a whole new ball game to do it surrounded by other fit, active people!!

To be fair, my whole family is pretty healthy.  My husband is an ex-bodybuilder turned cyclist/mountaineer.  My brother is a runner, his wife is into weight lifting & yoga, my mom and dad are active tennis players in their late 60's and NONE of them have a weight problem.  Of course, all the family members that weren't fit are now dead, so maybe that's why the rest of us try so hard? Wink
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Do you surround yourself with fit people? Rss Feed  

of 2