Riptide
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 23s
Overall Rank = /204
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 13/27
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, showered, had a banana, yogurt, OJ, Clif bar. Got to the TA about 6:30 - my wave didn't start until about 8:15. Talked with several people doing the race, and a few spectators.
Event warmup:

No chance to swim to warm up. Mainly walking & stretching.
Swim
  • 10m 43s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

Had some goggle problems. Was second in my lane, drafted well, but the guy in front had goggle problems too. Passed him, and did my own swim. Was pleasantly surprised with my swim time - I figured I'd be over 11 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

I have GOT to get better goggles - I have a seal mask, that leaks at my right eye; speedo goggles, that leak at my right eye, and a pair of Tyr goggles, that don't leak as much, but I have to tighten them down so darn hard that I typically can't see...
Transition 1
  • 01m 4s
Comments:

I racked in the front row, so it was easy to get to my stuff. Remembered my fuel-plan this time!

Nothing.
Bike
  • 34m 53s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 21.50 mile/hr
Comments:

My hill rides are paying off, but I need to do even more. I beat my estimated time here as well. Re-fueled on the bike (breakfast at 5:15, and not starting until 8:15 kinda threw me off a little). NOBODY passed me on the bike today, and I passed quite a few people.

Ignore the cones? Seriously, the police did a fair job of directing traffic, but I don't think that putting the police cars/cycles in the MIDDLE of the intersection is a good idea! When training, I take corners hard and fast - I had to slow down for EVERY turn today.
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

Swapped shoes, dropped the helmet, grabbed the race belt and a quick drink, and I was off. I had racked close to the run exit, which was the opposite side of the bike entrance - I think about 20 seconds of my T2 time was just trying to run in my bike shoes...

N/A
Run
  • 27m 45s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

At the bushes, you had to duck through to the left. The turn was marked, but right after I came back out, a woman that should have turned just followed me - she corrected after about 100 yards, but I wonder how many people shorted that course?

I missed my estimated run time by about 45 seconds, but I started to expect that when the temp went over 80F...

Wear rocket-shoes like Wiley E. Coyote...
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched. Had a banana, some water, some fruit punch, had another Energice Gel (how the hell it got a leak is beyond me - I carried two, and left one on my TA towel - THAT was the one that leaked.) Rooted for the rest of the finishers, as I waited for the preliminary results.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I swim, and run, too slow ...

Event comments:

I'm not fond of 'open-course' bike routes. I feel there should be drink stations at every mile, and mile markers would be nice. I do NOT like that EVERY tri I've done this year has either a hill climb into TA from bike to run, or a hill at the end of the run.

I also have an issue with not keeping the elites separate from the rest of us. One of the guys in my AG (Don't worry Michael Redman, *I* won't mention your name) who runs one of the local tri groups was not marked as an elite. So, just how many times do you get to win in your AG, without ever being called Elite? I want to compete against other amateurs, not the elite guys (yet). Still, Mr. Redman, you need to work on your bike times...

Overall, it wasn't a bad triathlon, but it could've been a little better. I was hoping to break into the top-10, but I didn't, since elite level guys can still race AG here. I also missed my overall goal by 23 seconds, but I can live with that.

Last updated: 2005-02-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:43 | 500 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 16/27
Overall: 0/204
Performance: Good
Suit: tri-suit
Course: Pool - circle swim.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:04
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:34:53 | 12.5 miles | 21.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/27
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Fairly flat, out and back. The first couple of waves had some very light winds when they started, but by the time I cleared T1, the winds had picked up a lot. Most of the way out, and the last mile back were into the wind. (Course different than last year - a few more turns). ALL turns were between very narrow coned off lanes - the first right hand turn was at the bottom of a steep hill. The guy in front of me must've been doing about 7mph around that corner - Thanks, whoever you are! That pissed me off and THAT is why I passed you. Ever hear of leaning into a turn?
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:45 | 03.1 miles | 08m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/27
Course: Fairly flat out and back around a little lake. There was one area that you had to duck between some bushes; the turn was marked, but someone coming back the other way could've caused a collision! It was almost impossible to look through the bushes until you started to go through.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-07-17 4:54 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO
Subject: Table Mountain Tri

Either I'm shooting too high, or I just haven't paid enough to the Triathlon Gods yet.  I go busting my fanny, and can never seem to crack the top-10 in my AG.  Ironically enough, had my birthday been last week, instead of next week, I would have...*sigh*

Oh yeah, I almost forgot the best part!  As I was screaming down a hill, doing about 35, a little old lady pulled out in front of me!  Forget there were signs ALL over the place "BIKE RACE IN PROGRESS".  I actually passed her, so I could get up the next hill.  She followed for a while, and when she finally passed, I yelled at her to watch where she was going.  Do I feel bad?  Yes, ONLY because the cop that heard me yell at her didn't stop her and give her a freaking ticket!

Edited by joeinco 2005-07-17 5:05 PM

2005-07-17 5:08 PM
in reply to: #200377

User image

Pro
Broomfield, Colorado
Subject: RE: Table Mountain Tri
Great race Joe!  You did awesome.....you crack me up. 
2005-07-17 5:25 PM
in reply to: #200384

User image

Expert
St. Thomas, ON

Great race report. Very entertaining. Pretty bad when you bike faster than someone drives

2005-07-17 6:10 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Joe...awesome job!!

You compete in the most competitive AG...and soon you'll age up. How ironic it is to be happy to be getting older!

Sounds like you hit your estimated times very closely!! Your race report is very entertaining....nice to have you pass cars but it can be scary as well. Great bike time!! Sounds like all your bike training is paying off.

Go Team Hoss!!

2005-07-17 7:09 PM

User image

Expert
Denver
Nice race, Joe! I guess when you put that little duck on a bike he really can fly, huh?! And forget getting new goggles. Sounds to me like you need a new right eye.
2005-07-17 7:18 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

You are WAAAAAY too much, Joe.  Great race, :23 off your target time is pretty frigging good, considering the heat, the bike turns, and the goggle issues...Nice race.

You ARE a bike monster!  21.5 is just mashing...that's great stuff...

2005-07-17 7:38 PM
in reply to: #200465

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

himself - 2005-07-17 5:09 PM Nice race, Joe! I guess when you put that little duck on a bike he really can fly, huh?! And forget getting new goggles. Sounds to me like you need a new right eye.

HA!  I think the next tri-purchase will be Lasik!

2005-07-17 8:45 PM

User image

Master
Plant City, FL
Great race Joe!! I need the coyote shoes too!!
2005-07-18 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member

Nice job Joe - you flew on the bike!!

Congrats on shaving some seconds off your goal time - you did a great job  

2005-07-18 2:09 PM

User image

Expert
Littleton, CO
Good race Joe!   You don't want to get an AG win or top ten or podium too easily do you?  Keep at it - you'll get there!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Table Mountain Tri Rss Feed